Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

DatonKallandor posted:

In what world is "product X is no worse or better than product Y, it is simply in a different color" leading to "product X score=5, Product Y score=9" not utterly insane? At worst Mad Max is as good as any Ubisoft collectathon - but because the Ubisoft collectathon exists, and is just as good, Mad Max gets what equates to a "lovely game, avoid"-score?
Mad about reviews
And 'in what world' is basically anything that isn't strictly utilitarian - movies, books, TV shows, paintings, plays, etc etc etc are all viewed this way. You can review wetnaps and mops in a binary "works/doesn't work" way, but anything that is experienced on any level beyond that is going to be compared to what came before it.

People: Review sites always give major studio games 7+ scores, this is an outrage!
Same people: Major studio game got a 6, this is an outrage!

Noam Chomsky posted:

Also, since when are new and ambitious mechanics prerequisites for being a good game? It's simply not a :mediocre: game but it isn't :perfect: either. It's an 8/10 game and maybe a 10/10 for big Mad Max fans; a 6/10 score is just insanely stupid.
See, I'd probably give it a 7 (if I were the type to summarize something down to a digit) but only because I'm a Mad Max fan, if I wasn't I don't know why I'd play this vs any other open world game.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Noam Chomsky posted:

"I could be playing Metal Gear if I didn't have to review this poo poo game. 6/10"

He's not wrong.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Noam Chomsky posted:

Also, since when are new and ambitious mechanics prerequisites for being a good game? It's simply not a :mediocre: game but it isn't :perfect: either. It's an 8/10 game and maybe a 10/10 for big Mad Max fans; a 6/10 score is just insanely stupid.

What exact type of autism causes this sort of thing, I'd like to know just in case I ever develop it, so I can put a bullet in my own eye.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

In what world is "product X is no worse or better than product Y, it is simply in a different color" leading to "product X score=5, Product Y score=9" not utterly insane? At worst Mad Max is as good as any Ubisoft collectathon - but because the Ubisoft collectathon exists, and is just as good, Mad Max gets what equates to a "lovely game, avoid"-score?

Because it's impossible for old games to improve themselves, and it is possible for newer games to learn from older games - and when you have a game that parrots all of the good and bad of a pre-existing genre, you can rightfully get annoyed that this newer game is still doing the same annoying poo poo that older games have done. And it's less excusable the more the genre goes on, because each new game that includes dumb little preset animations (as one example) that you're forced/encouraged to do dozens of time that add nothing makes me die a little inside. I've already paid for the drat game, why is gameplay being padded like this?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

He's not wrong.

MGS V's been a gigantic disappointment to me and for much of the same reasons levelled against Mad Max. Once you get a few missions in, MGS V just becomes all about the grinding and collecting resources just for the sake of it and the entire second half of the game are mostly repeats of missions from the first half. The game feels completely unfinished and has a horrible ending to boot.

Mad Max isn't amazing, but it's a lot more fun to me so far and the combination of open world + Sleeping Dogs style combat + Twisted Metal car combat is much more interesting than the sheer grinding of MGS V.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

MGS V's been a gigantic disappointment to me and for much of the same reasons levelled against Mad Max. Once you get a few missions in, MGS V just becomes all about the grinding and collecting resources just for the sake of it and the entire second half of the game are mostly repeats of missions from the first half. The game feels completely unfinished and has a horrible ending to boot.

Mad Max isn't amazing, but it's a lot more fun to me so far and the combination of open world + Sleeping Dogs style combat + Twisted Metal car combat is much more interesting than the sheer grinding of MGS V.

I don't care what you feel, dude.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Dan Didio posted:

I don't care what you feel, dude.

Thats rude.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Why do people keep saying the car combat is in the style of Twisted Metal? None of the cars have guns on them, it's more like Carmageddon.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

What exact type of autism causes this sort of thing, I'd like to know just in case I ever develop it, so I can put a bullet in my own eye.

please do. <3

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You have to be rude to survive in the wasteland, where games only get 6's and not the 8's.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone figured out the balloon in Wailing Wind, Pink Eye's territory? The generator for the winch is out of fuel, and I can't seem to refuel it.

This is kind of confusing, but you actually have to refuel the balloon itself and not the generator. I think you have to stand next to the box looking things hanging on the side of the balloon basket to do it.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 2, 2015

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

You have to be rude to survive in the wasteland, where games only get 6's and not the 8's. troll threads about games in which you are not interested.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I don't care about game reviews and game journalism and usually I'll just figure out if a game is worth playing by word of mouth and my own personal experience

From what it sounds like, it may not be worth it for $60 to me but $35 on greenmangaming is tempting and if it turns out to be a stinker I won't be out much money

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

It's an 8/10 game and maybe a 10/10 for big Mad Max fans; a 6/10 score is just insanely stupid.

someone with a different opinion than you gave it an score that is two (2) entire points lower than you would have and that's what you call "insanely stupid"?

like I said I don't really agree with that review but some of you are acting like you just cannot handle someone giving a game you like a slightly lower score than you would have.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Hey you guys I did a thing!

Was showing my roomie the harpoon and he goes "Wait... Can you harpoon a dude, drag him behind your car, and launch off a jump?" Why I never thought about trying that until he suggested it is beyond me but the answer is yes, yes you can. So I made a kite out of a War Boy :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Earwicker posted:

someone with a different opinion than you gave it an score that is two (2) entire points lower than you would have and that's what you call "insanely stupid"?

like I said I don't really agree with that review but some of you are acting like you just cannot handle someone giving a game you like a slightly lower score than you would have.

The world's gone mad, moite.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Max leaning back in disgust like he hit a really big bug :drat:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BexGu posted:

How far did you make it before turning back?

in between "Dry Gustie" and "the Dunes" is a large stretch of Big Nothing where you can drive through almost that whole area and the weather only kills you if you go really far to the east. I found some kind of cave hideout built into a rock wall that was outside of any mapped territory (though just on the edge of the Dunes) and it was fairly elaborate and had a few weak enemies but not much loot, I'm assuming related to some mission I haven't unlocked yet but it's cool that there is stuff like that outside the marked map borders

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
And the Lord said unto Max; 'Suplexeth this fool into another fool, it will be totally loving SICK' -Rockatanskies Chapter 1, Verse 4

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

In what world is "product X is no worse or better than product Y, it is simply in a different color" leading to "product X score=5, Product Y score=9" not utterly insane? ?

in any context where the product is supposed to be a creative endeavor that is a perfectly normal form of criticism? if someone is reviewing an album and says that it's exactly the same as someone else's earlier album with only superficial differences, that's generally taken as a bad thing, as well as perfectly valid criticism.

if creativity or originality isn't something you care about in game mechanics, that's totally fine and it would make sense for you to ignore those kinds of criticisms, but there is nothing remotely "insane" about someone saying them.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
*it's not fair these bad review scores go against the total score on metacritic! Dev's bonuses are based off of that!*

*buys game for 1/3 of retail price from shady key site*

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
What kind of jabrone even reads those review sites anyway? Here's my question: what's the deal with the storm area, should I be going in there and looking for stuff? Or does it get introduced a little later down the line (just got to second stronghold)?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

:lol: look at this jabroni

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Robot Randy posted:

:lol: look at this jabroni

He's got cajones.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It is difficult to believe that the game unlocked just two nights ago and now we've got a couple hundred posts where people argue about review scores and the reviewing system, as well as the nature of open-world gaming in general, and even encourage one another to kill themselves based on their opinions in this thread. I mean, are you loving kidding me?

Just play it and enjoy it. It's quite fun. Or don't. The game accomplishes what it set out to accomplish. If it's not your thing there are other choices out there.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its actually unbelievable that people here have no idea how criticism works but goons will be goons.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Earwicker posted:

Now you're pretending like you don't know that the difference between a 6 and an 8 for a AAA game is the kiss of death, which it is.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

natetimm posted:

Now you're pretending like you don't know that the difference between a 6 and an 8 for a AAA game is the kiss of death, which it is.

Yes, but which biblical plague was the 6's?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

This game is fun and shut up about reviews jesus loving christ

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

And the Lord said unto Max; 'Suplexeth this fool into another fool, it will be totally loving SICK' -Rockatanskies Chapter 1, Verse 4

Fury moves are the absolute loving best. Drop kicked a dude off a cliff to his death earlier, 10/10.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

natetimm posted:

I'm not pretending anything, I'm not really sure what you are talking about - lots of people seem to be playing and enjoying the game, exactly what "kiss of death" has happened due to one site giving it a 6? it just seems like a ridiculous thing to get mad about. I'd probably give it a 7.5 myself, I don't see how a 6 is some huge travesty.

I mean did you think this game was going to be some mega blockbuster if it got an 8 at that same site? It's a movie tie in game that is a lot of fun but doesn't do anything particularly new, "middle of the road" seems pretty reasonable

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 2, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

natetimm posted:

The actual kiss of death was releasing the game the same day as MGS5 not a loving review.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Noam Chomsky posted:

It's a fun game (otherwise I wouldn't be posting here to begin with), but it's still lacking in the "wow" factor department. It suffers from the Jack of all trades master of none syndrome.

When it comes to driving combat games, Twisted Metal did it better. When it comes to first person shooters, CoD or even the recent call of Juarez did it better. Exploration and writing wise, Fallout series did much much better. I'm trying to think of one thing that Mad Max does better than other games, and I can't think of any. Game is fun, but after a few weeks, I can see people start to lose interest. I believe the reviewers who are giving the low scores are looking at the long term replay value. And in that aspect, I have to agree with them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Referring to this game as receiving the 'kiss of death' for getting slightly below perfect review scores on average is really funny given it's far more likely to get a sequel than Metal Gear Solid.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Seriously though what's the deal with the big empty stuff, just the general gist of it?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Muttonchips posted:

I'm trying to think of one thing that Mad Max does better than other games, and I can't think of any.

I think there are a couple things that set it apart in a good way actually, though they are not huge issues

1. the desert is beautiful. a lot of games with desert settings are very boring and drab looking, and that could have easily been a big problem here, but even though the entire game world is one big desert it's actually quite varied and the scenery is often striking. I think it is one of the more visually unique open world games I've played lately

2. the feeling of speed and the way the camera move come together in a way that is very different from other open world and driving games, the angles are a little more unexpected but they work, the cars really feel like they have power to them, the sound design backs that up well..

While in terms of physics the driving is of course not realistic as a sim, but there is something these guys have figured out that IMO developers other driving games (not just open world or combat ones) should really be paying attention to here, there is just something visceral about the way cars move in this game or the way the landscape flows past at speed that works incredibly well

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

gently caress the ROW posted:

Seriously though what's the deal with the big empty stuff, just the general gist of it?

Unless I misunderstood, the big empty stuff is just the edge of the world, the game let's you keep going and generates terrain for you to gently caress around in. Those caves are for a mission.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's also the best make-awesome-pictures game in a long time.

Hopefully there's endless-convoys in the post-story game (if there is a post-story game). Convoys are the best.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

gently caress the ROW posted:

if you go into it, you die, because everytime i went into it, my health started draining like i was drowning in old school WoW when i swam too far

but the dune area is pretty cool, though i think it doesn't get triggered till later or something? or maybe thats the end game???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

girth brooks part 2 posted:

This is kind of confusing, but you actually have to refuel the balloon itself and not the generator. I think you have to stand next to the box looking things hanging on the side of the balloon basket to do it.

Yup, didn't see the fuel tank on the side of it earlier. Thanks :toot:

• Locked thread