Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Laverna posted:

Which is why we end up with examples that would look alright on an advertisement but entirely out of place as a country's flag.

What was Canada's process? They went through the same thing, right? Except they ended up with a good flag.
(Same thing as in changing the flag, I'm sure they didn't have a John Key trying to make it all about him and rigging the results)
The difference was they had been moving toward a new flag for a lot longer, so there was overwhelming consensus to have a new flag, and the government was voted in with the flag change as part of their platform. It wasn't just a media circus to distract everyone from discovering the rock star economy was a lip syncing coke fiend about to bottom out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

The difference was they had been moving toward a new flag for a lot longer, so there was overwhelming consensus to have a new flag, and the government was voted in with the flag change as part of their platform. It wasn't just a media circus to distract everyone from discovering the rock star economy was a lip syncing coke fiend about to bottom out.

Yeah, I remember there being quite a bit of support for a flag change when it was first mentioned. I still really believe that our flag sucks and should change. But now it's definitely the wrong guys doing it for the wrong reasons.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Took me a moment to realise that you weren't quoting something domestic. Bravo, sir :golfclap:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
those are the deep & meaningful statements from the designers

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
"It won't cost a lot of money to change our flag"

*forgets that every sign and product in the country has the flag on it and will need to be changed*

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Maybe the people pushing for this are the flag manufacturers. John Key in bed with big flag.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

echinopsis posted:

Yeah but don't you want to see JK's dream fail?

I'd rather his other, more negative dreams failed than this flag dream of little significance. I'm astounded that for all the hooting and hollering about how this is all to cover up TPPA etc, the flag 'debate' has effectively done that. How dumb is that?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That's also partially because TPPA has stalled and can't really progress until after the Canadian election.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

fong posted:

That's also partially because TPPA has stalled and can't really progress until after the Canadian American election.
The 2016 US election is too soon after the Canadian one, and nobody wants to rock any boats. It's put off until 2017 at least.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Obama can't get reelected though, I'd imagine there'll be another round of talks between now and 2017.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

puchu posted:

I'd rather his other, more negative dreams failed than this flag dream of little significance. I'm astounded that for all the hooting and hollering about how this is all to cover up TPPA etc, the flag 'debate' has effectively done that. How dumb is that?

The thing is the flag is his pride and joy rather than a road to riches. Still why not have multiple things fail

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

fong posted:

Obama can't get reelected though, I'd imagine there'll be another round of talks between now and 2017.
Well no, but it's less about Obama than the Democrats. Hillary is obviously Obama's chosen successor and anything he does is going to pass onto her.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Bernie <3

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I like Bernie a lot too, but being realistic he doesn't really stand much of a chance. :smith:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

puchu posted:

The crazy thing is I think that having this flag change fail will have more impact on his brand than any of the dodgy poo poo he has been involved in. I can almost imagine Paddy Gower salivating as he declares Key is effectively finished. All due to a stupid loving flag.

Of course if it succeeds he will be declared emperor for life.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I like Bernie a lot too, but being realistic he doesn't really stand much of a chance. :smith:

People said the same thing about Obama.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They said that because he was black - not because he was actually genuinely so left-wing his own party wouldn't back him for fear of losing the centre.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Bernie actually seems to be doing drat well. It's a grassroots campaign but he seems to pulling in tens of thousands with his talks in various cities. It all comes down to exposure though.

The real problem is the timing of the democratic debates, it's preventing him from debating Hillary - his only real contender - and it seems obvious he'd kick her rear end.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Exclamation Marx posted:

those are the deep & meaningful statements from the designers

Sssssh

Shh

I don't want to think a living, breathing person wrote that and expected people to take it seriously

Shh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Sssssh

Shh

I don't want to think a living, breathing person wrote that and expected people to take it seriously

Shh

They read like marketing gobbledygook. There was one that mentioned how the stars are red because of ARE FATHERS sacrifices and the fern points upward to represent NZers optimism or some loving bullshit.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

truther posted:

Bernie actually seems to be doing drat well. It's a grassroots campaign but he seems to pulling in tens of thousands with his talks in various cities. It all comes down to exposure though.

The real problem is the timing of the democratic debates, it's preventing him from debating Hillary - his only real contender - and it seems obvious he'd kick her rear end.

It actually has to do mostly with support from the party establishment.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Isn't that tied to the debates though? If Sanders totally dominated Hillary and had overwhelming support from the public, wouldn't he then be chosen as the democratic candiate?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Varkk posted:

Maybe the people pushing for this are the flag manufacturers. John Key in bed with big flag.

Please don't use homophobic slurs to describe Richie McCaw.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Bernie Sanders vs Donald Trump 2016 I want America to have its most clear cut Good vs Evil showdown

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

For the all the people that think changing the NZ flag is a waste of money, I have a solution for you.
Because no matter what you say, the referendum will still happen and cost money. Therefore, you have only 1 choice- vote to change the flag.
If you don't vote to change the flag, your an inept hypocrite. Effectively wasting all the money for no gain. Changing the flag= earning more money for NZ in very simple branding and economic terms.

So if you vote against changing the flag, you look pretty stupid by creating worthless expenses and lost national income. Solution is very clear.
Side point for anyone who feels changing the flag is a distraction from TPP negotiations: The TPP was first designed by NZ in the first place, started under the Helen Clark government, and literally every party that fully supported the TPP since 2006 has been voted in.

So what if the TPP points are secret- like in all trade deals ever. You cant oppose it based on the fact it "may" limit our nations laws.
At the end of the day the government does things they believe are the best for the country, and received mandate for during the election. BTW, did you consider that it may actually make our laws better? Fairer? More just? Prevent the government from changing laws whenever they feel like, however they want without consultation with anyone and neglecting any consequences as they are above the law? Or can it only be bad for everyone in your anti-everything-national point of view?

From the leaked, innacurate papers which are likely outdated we both have obviously read- if anything limiting national laws is improving the justice and quality. An example- National decided without warning to remove the $1000 starter for Kiwisaver. Thats their prerogative and they can do that. Law changes under TPP can actually force the government to reconsider how they approach those hash law changes such as that which AFFECT YOU directly, by creating more fairness and stakeholder hindsight. It stops the government from being above the law, and more open to to how it affects everyone.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Spiteski posted:

For the all the people that think changing the NZ flag is a waste of money, I have a solution for you.
Because no matter what you say, the referendum will still happen and cost money. Therefore, you have only 1 choice- vote to change the flag.
If you don't vote to change the flag, your an inept hypocrite. Effectively wasting all the money for no gain. Changing the flag= earning more money for NZ in very simple branding and economic terms.

So if you vote against changing the flag, you look pretty stupid by creating worthless expenses and lost national income. Solution is very clear.
Side point for anyone who feels changing the flag is a distraction from TPP negotiations: The TPP was first designed by NZ in the first place, started under the Helen Clark government, and literally every party that fully supported the TPP since 2006 has been voted in.

So what if the TPP points are secret- like in all trade deals ever. You cant oppose it based on the fact it "may" limit our nations laws.
At the end of the day the government does things they believe are the best for the country, and received mandate for during the election. BTW, did you consider that it may actually make our laws better? Fairer? More just? Prevent the government from changing laws whenever they feel like, however they want without consultation with anyone and neglecting any consequences as they are above the law? Or can it only be bad for everyone in your anti-everything-national point of view?

From the leaked, innacurate papers which are likely outdated we both have obviously read- if anything limiting national laws is improving the justice and quality. An example- National decided without warning to remove the $1000 starter for Kiwisaver. Thats their prerogative and they can do that. Law changes under TPP can actually force the government to reconsider how they approach those hash law changes such as that which AFFECT YOU directly, by creating more fairness and stakeholder hindsight. It stops the government from being above the law, and more open to to how it affects everyone.

Where is this from it sounds vaguely hoskings like

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

truther posted:

Isn't that tied to the debates though? If Sanders totally dominated Hillary and had overwhelming support from the public, wouldn't he then be chosen as the democratic candiate?

Not directly. There will be primary elections in various states throughout the first half of the election year, where members of the party get to vote for who they want to be the candidate. Then sometime after that, the party has a national convention, where they officially elect the candidate. Usually once all the primaries have been completed there's a clear frontrunner, so the national convention's election isn't a surprise. So the debates are part of it but the 'overwhelming support from the public' is what will win primaries.*

*this is the simple version, it is actually a much bigger clusterfuck

edit: The other distinction is that debates are put on by media organisations (like Fox News who sponsored the recent Republican debate) while the primaries are funded by the parties and/or state governments.

Leospeare fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 3, 2015

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

swampland posted:

Where is this from it sounds vaguely hoskings like

Nah just a politically vocal expat I know from Uni. Half convinced he's trolling, because holy poo poo. "The best way to deal with a govt doing what we dont want them to do is to just let them."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

truther posted:

It would be unlikely. The debates are nothing more than a dog-show platform for candidates to present their platform to the public - but more importantly, part of Sanders' popularity is because he is perceived to value ideals enough to rock the establishment boat. The majority of Washington politicians are firmly entrenched in positions without term limit or with exquisitely gerrymandered districts - they don't have to care about what the public wants, all they have to care about is retaining the system that has made and kept them extremely wealthy.

I mean, how hard did Labour try not to elect Cunliffe despite him being the overwhelming choice by everyone who wasn't in the caucus?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Leospeare posted:

edit: The other distinction is that debates are put on by media organisations (like Fox News who sponsored the recent Republican debate) while the primaries are funded by the parties and/or state governments.
And there's a rule for democrats that if they attend a debate that isn't controlled by the party they'll be exluded from the running.

Clusterfuck sounds about right.

Ghostlight posted:

I'm still inclined to believe that if there's enough public support a candidate can win. But golly, the establishment will sure try their best to control the tide of public opinion.

truther fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 3, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Spiteski posted:

you're*

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Spiteski posted:

holy
poo poo
Iaman

rear end in a top hat

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Prime Minister John Key says Maurice Williamson was not speaking in his capacity as a National MP during a speech in which he showed pictures of nearly-naked women and made references to sex acts.

The high-profile backbencher and former minister was "so offensive" in his recent presentation at SkyCity, attendees walked out of the awards dinner where he was the MC last Tuesday.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Did Key ever ask for someones resignation based on what they did when they weren't an MP? Or can you get away with a lot if you're not wearing your Official MP Hat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wow, I didn't realise how flexible the hat excuse was.

Sorry officer, when I was driving drunk through the young nats I wasn't driving in the capacity of a person in charge of a motor vehicle.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Wasn't he acting in his capacity as a constituency MP when he intervened on the behalf of a wifebeater? Why did he get sacked as a minister then?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
John Key wasn't wearing his Prime Minister hat when he molested and/or sexually harassed those children and that woman so it's okay.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Oh wow, it was at an ESRI users conference. I am in talks.

quote:

What's the inside scoop on all the Maurice Williamson stuff?
___
Oh man. You know it too. Where did you find it from? Is it all over news?

:getin:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Oh yeah enjoy paying for a new Driver's License and Passport if the flag changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I will continue to exercise my right to travel as a free citizen even if the flag changes

• Locked thread