Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I don't have a good solution other than drying the car, but you could try a waterblade to make it go faster. I use one and it actually works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I tried a light polish which kind of helped but not much. Scratch X helped more but they're still there.

What's weird is that once I apply the products to the car, it's really hard to get them off. I think the paint must be really dried out - I guess it is almost 20 year old single stage at this point. I think I'm going to see what I can do to "condition" it, get all the spots out, and perhaps switch to sealant instead of wax.

blk fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 9, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

blk posted:

perhaps switch to sealant instead of wax.

Yes 100% do this. I think your assessment of the paint needing to be conditioned is accurate also.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Some filthy drat birds shat upon my M3, and despite me removing it promptly in the recommended fashion of soaking with waterless wash & a clean microfiber lift-off (it probably was on there 3 hours max, but it was in the sun) I've got some etching. Car is space grey metallic, and a bit got on the carbon fiber roof clearcoat as well.

Was going to try this
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/52672-bird-poop-stain.html

using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to take care of it. meatpimp (or anyone else who takes care of E92 M3's) - any warnings or recommendations about using this product on that specific car's paint before I go try and find some at an autozone and try it out?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Some filthy drat birds shat upon my M3, and despite me removing it promptly in the recommended fashion of soaking with waterless wash & a clean microfiber lift-off (it probably was on there 3 hours max, but it was in the sun) I've got some etching. Car is space grey metallic, and a bit got on the carbon fiber roof clearcoat as well.

Was going to try this
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/52672-bird-poop-stain.html

using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to take care of it. meatpimp (or anyone else who takes care of E92 M3's) - any warnings or recommendations about using this product on that specific car's paint before I go try and find some at an autozone and try it out?

Ultimate Compound would be step one. BMW's clear seems to be pretty good with bird poo poo. I just tried to get some off my brother's GTI though, and bird poo poo eats the hell out of VW clearcoat. UC didn't touch it, had to go to straight compound... it was ugly.

Good luck. gently caress birds.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thanks man. Appreciate it, here goes nothing.

Hey what a great spot, a single spot with driveways on either side so no one will ding the bumpers parking like a moron, I says on arrival.
God dammit, power lines huh? Stupid rookie, I says on coming back a few hours later.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mat_Drinks posted:

I don't have a good solution other than drying the car, but you could try a waterblade to make it go faster. I use one and it actually works pretty well.

The problem with water blades is that if you missed a spot and there's dirt, there is no protection. Try using a damp microfiber towel. Works great. I even put a couple of squirts of hydrophobic detailer to lubricate, but I'm cleaning a black car, so can't be spergy enough.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It's been a while since I've taken time with the cars... way past due to show the white E39 some love.

White cars are generally unrewarding to polish, but don't let anyone say you can't get a good gloss off of them (here's a trunk pic). :coal:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

It's been a while since I've taken time with the cars... way past due to show the white E39 some love.

White cars are generally unrewarding to polish, but don't let anyone say you can't get a good gloss off of them (here's a trunk pic). :coal:

:drat:

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

How well does the windshield scratch stuff work? I got hit with a blast of gravel on my way to work and picked up 3 or 4 new chips that are down to the metal, and a 3/4" scratch in my windshield that I can catch with my nail.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A year after buying my PC DA, I finally used it. Holy poo poo was it awesome. I was working on my 2 year old car so there wasn't a ton of stuff to do but it took out a lot of the minor scratches and swirls very quickly with Meguiars Ultimate compound. Was the first time using it to apply wax, too. Made poo poo so easy and nice looking that I haven't taken it out of the garage since. :allears:

I can't wait to use it on my 15 year old truck to bring back some bling to the paint.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas posted:

Any prevailing opinions about Meguiar's Paint Protect 365? I've only seen a handful of reviews online. Most seem to be discussions around whether beading is better than sheeting -- it sounds like PP365 repels in sheets rather than beads.

In any event, I'm trying it out. It's extremely easy to apply, harder to wipe off namely because it doesn't haze and you can't see what you've wiped.

So I'm coming up on 5 months with the first application Paint Protect. Still beading as well as it did on the first day. I'll check in again in a few months and/or when I put a second application on.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Washed, claybared and waxed my car yesterday, but still need to hit the wheels and glass.

What is a good method to attack that reversal point on the windshield where the one wiper leaves it's diagonal line across the drivers side vision? Windex and Invisible Glass don't seem to really take care of it. Might be graphite residue or whatever rubbed off the wiper over time. Not a "line" but a mark that shows up when the glass is wet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

dietcokefiend posted:

Washed, claybared and waxed my car yesterday, but still need to hit the wheels and glass.

What is a good method to attack that reversal point on the windshield where the one wiper leaves it's diagonal line across the drivers side vision? Windex and Invisible Glass don't seem to really take care of it. Might be graphite residue or whatever rubbed off the wiper over time. Not a "line" but a mark that shows up when the glass is wet.

Could be some rubber transfer, which in that case I'd use my go-to Magic Eraser. If that doesn't work, it's into the class, which means some type of glass polish. I've looked into it, but never actually used any of the products for polishing glass...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Ultimate Compound would be step one. BMW's clear seems to be pretty good with bird poo poo. I just tried to get some off my brother's GTI though, and bird poo poo eats the hell out of VW clearcoat. UC didn't touch it, had to go to straight compound... it was ugly.

Good luck. gently caress birds.

Update: Washed the car Tuesday night, very light application of Ultimate Compound fixed everything with barely any pressure needed. Meguiar's makes some good products (I ordered a bottle of their Ultimate Polish too), glad I got those strikes cleaned mostly off very quickly when they first happened though.

I also picked up a 64oz jug of Blackfire Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Concentrate... Amazon listed it as a 1:4 dilution rate, it's actually, uh, 1:48 so that seems like a pretty great purchase since it was $4 more than 128oz of pre-diluted stuff.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
There's some cloudy white/grey/blue marks on my black leather seats that my detailing spray and microfiber cloth won't get rid of. Anyone know what's up?

The car is a 2015 VW Golf GTI. :getin:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

AnimalChin posted:

There's some cloudy white/grey/blue marks on my black leather seats that my detailing spray and microfiber cloth won't get rid of. Anyone know what's up?

The car is a 2015 VW Golf GTI. :getin:

Pics needed for that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sorry for the double post, but this is important -- ozone generators kick rear end.

I got the single version of this: http://www.amazon.com/Foreverozone-Shock-Treatment-Ozone-Generator/dp/B007GS3T8O/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2YN5SAZKCBT0L

It's straight ghetto in its build quality, but god drat, it works magic. I went on a camping trip and left a pair of my boy's water shoes, wet with river water, in the trunk for 2 days. poo poo was RANK. I aired out the trunk for a day and that barely touched the stank. I put the ozone generator in for 15 minutes, unplugged it, let it sit for an hour, then opened it to air out.

Smells new in there. Craziness.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Sorry for the double post, but this is important -- ozone generators kick rear end.

I got the single version of this: http://www.amazon.com/Foreverozone-Shock-Treatment-Ozone-Generator/dp/B007GS3T8O/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2YN5SAZKCBT0L

It's straight ghetto in its build quality, but god drat, it works magic. I went on a camping trip and left a pair of my boy's water shoes, wet with river water, in the trunk for 2 days. poo poo was RANK. I aired out the trunk for a day and that barely touched the stank. I put the ozone generator in for 15 minutes, unplugged it, let it sit for an hour, then opened it to air out.

Smells new in there. Craziness.

Can confirm, Ozone Generators destroy smells and mold.

WARNING: O3 will eat plastic in high concentration, so be careful!
Also that poo poo is toxic in high concentration!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Pics needed for that.

It's real hard to see :(

Clicky for big:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

AnimalChin posted:

It's real hard to see :(

Clicky for big:

Interesting. Is detailing spray all that you've tried? I'd try a Lexol-or-better leather cleaner, then Lexol-or-better leather conditioner, I bet it'd disappear.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Just got done cleaning up a truck that I bought a couple weeks ago and my whole body aches. I debadged it on the tailgate and sides, and removed the dealer decal on the gate. I focused just on the paint, trying to get rid of the swirls and hoping to bring the matte finish to the bed (repainted, and the match isn't quite perfect) back to something more glossy. All I used was dawn to wash, 3M adhesive remover for tar spots (gently caress doing that with clay ever again, this stuff takes 2 seconds and doesn't dull the clear or anything), clay bar, another wash, then polishing with an orange pad with my PC 7424 and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Added some Meguiar's liquid wax afterwards and she looks pretty good. I couldn't get everything perfect but this ain't bad for a 2001 truck. Especially in the Michigan rust belt. :v:

Fingers always loving up pictures

I still want to clean up the corrosion on the wheels an replace the front turn signal lights since they leak and there's some black poo poo (mold) and dead bugs inside the lenses. I'll probably wait to do the wheels when I put on new tires and strip the wheel weights off to get the whole wheel (they're on the outside, ugh, who still does this???) cleaned up. Then paint or plastidip a dark grey, I think.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 30, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Looks good! If you want to make your raise white letters pop, use some steel wool... SOS pads work great.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Nice truck, Chevys rule. I noticed that even the new trucks are coming outta the dealer with white letters out and wheel weights on the outside. Both a crime against humanity. If you lose that grandpa bugflector that thing will look amazing.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My wife's car (leather seats but obviously carpet on the floor) has a very "earthy" smell to it. She's big on vegetable juice and crap like that, so I'm not sure if she's spilled a lot of organic material in the car, or if it's from something else. The dogs also go in her car occasionally, which doesn't help, but not that often. What's my best bet for making this go away? I was thinking of renting a carpet cleaner from the store and using that on all the carpets in the car, but I could also buy/try an ozone generator if that would work better. I can't quite place what the smell is, but it mostly reminds me of a bag of potting soil sitting in the car. I don't see obvious spots on the carpet that would making the smell, but I figured wet cleaning the carpets is my best bet.

Ideas?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

always be closing posted:

Nice truck, Chevys rule. I noticed that even the new trucks are coming outta the dealer with white letters out and wheel weights on the outside. Both a crime against humanity. If you lose that grandpa bugflector that thing will look amazing.

Thanks. :) That bug deflector is why the hood has little to no rock chips. Or maybe because it's taller than my previous vehicles. Either way, I'll probably keep it and do burnouts to stay young feeling.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

My wife's car (leather seats but obviously carpet on the floor) has a very "earthy" smell to it. She's big on vegetable juice and crap like that, so I'm not sure if she's spilled a lot of organic material in the car, or if it's from something else. The dogs also go in her car occasionally, which doesn't help, but not that often. What's my best bet for making this go away? I was thinking of renting a carpet cleaner from the store and using that on all the carpets in the car, but I could also buy/try an ozone generator if that would work better. I can't quite place what the smell is, but it mostly reminds me of a bag of potting soil sitting in the car. I don't see obvious spots on the carpet that would making the smell, but I figured wet cleaning the carpets is my best bet.

Ideas?

A month ago, I would have said "remove the seats and use a carpet cleaner/extractor." Now I'd say that my first line of attack would be an ozone generator.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

A month ago, I would have said "remove the seats and use a carpet cleaner/extractor." Now I'd say that my first line of attack would be an ozone generator.

Is this the model you bought? I had been thinking of getting one for a while, but wasn't sure if I'd use it enough to justify the cost. At $69, it's cheaper than having a detailer come out and do a one time ozone treatment.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Build-R...ds=foreverozone

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

Is this the model you bought? I had been thinking of getting one for a while, but wasn't sure if I'd use it enough to justify the cost. At $69, it's cheaper than having a detailer come out and do a one time ozone treatment.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Build-R...ds=foreverozone

I got the one without the fan. That little pancake fan isn't going to do much sitting there... in a car it really doesn't matter, just put the HVAC on high and recirculate and you'll get enough airflow to circulate the O2.

No picture with it, but it's the same as what you linked, minus the fan: http://www.amazon.com/ForeverOzone-Bare-Bones-Ozone-Generator/dp/B007GS5L08

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I have a seat I bought off craigslist that smells like smoke and I've tried everything on it. Vinegar, baking soda, dryer sheets, febreeze, etc. I don't know if I want to step up to an ozone generator since I don't know if I'll ever need it again, but have heard good things about ozium. I assume it's like ozone in a can and should have the same effect for something like this?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

I got the one without the fan. That little pancake fan isn't going to do much sitting there... in a car it really doesn't matter, just put the HVAC on high and recirculate and you'll get enough airflow to circulate the O2.

No picture with it, but it's the same as what you linked, minus the fan: http://www.amazon.com/ForeverOzone-Bare-Bones-Ozone-Generator/dp/B007GS5L08

:science: O3

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Damnit. :eng99:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I discovered a company called Metropolitan Vacuum when looking for a small blower for cleaning out computer cases. They're an American company making small, simple, all steel vacuum cleaners and blowers. Their prices are a bit high, but because of the simple sturdy way they make their products they are frequently available used on ebay for reasonable prices. I picked up their 4 horsepower 'Omnivac' model off ebay lightly used for $120 shipped.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-OV-4ABC-Portable-Cleaner/dp/B001U899IU

Again, a bit pricey even from amazon, but try ebay.

This vacuum is small, light and surprisingly quiet yet it sucks like a much larger shop vac. I figured it would be ideal for cleaning cars and I was right. I also bought a suction powered rotary brush attachment which does a great job at cleaning carpets.

For reference, their Vac N Blo and Omnivac models are mostly the same with different accessories and cord lengths. The Omnivac models also come with wheels while you have to buy those as a seperate accessory for the Vac N Blo models. You want to make sure you get one of the 4 hp model models though, as they also make a 1.7 hp version of most of these vacuums which I imagine would be a bit underwhelming.

Their website for more information: https://www.metrovacworld.com/

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I bought a brand new car last weekend and its black. I am already becoming a total autist about the look of it, which leads to my question. I can notice spots that look a little orange peely. Can i fix this with detailing , and if i can how long do i have to wait before its safe to dive into the paint like that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I bought a brand new car last weekend and its black. I am already becoming a total autist about the look of it, which leads to my question. I can notice spots that look a little orange peely. Can i fix this with detailing , and if i can how long do i have to wait before its safe to dive into the paint like that.

Orange peel is typically underneath the clearcoat and not something that can be corrected. Some cars (BMW) have terrible orange peel. You can make them shine and give them gloss, but the orange peel is there to stay.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Just picked up a '98 4Runner. Its main non mechanical issue is that it smells... dusty. It doesn't smell like cig smoke, it just smells really dusty when it warms up in the afternoon.

Would the best course of action at this point be to attack the carpet with the ol' bissell green machine and try and clean it? It's pretty stained, so it could use it in any case. The seats are leather, and have seen better days, so looking into covering/repairing those after the mechanical stuff is taken care of.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

PirateDentist posted:

Just picked up a '98 4Runner. Its main non mechanical issue is that it smells... dusty. It doesn't smell like cig smoke, it just smells really dusty when it warms up in the afternoon.

Would the best course of action at this point be to attack the carpet with the ol' bissell green machine and try and clean it? It's pretty stained, so it could use it in any case. The seats are leather, and have seen better days, so looking into covering/repairing those after the mechanical stuff is taken care of.

I always wonder how much of that typical old car smell is the aroma of foam in panels/handles/seats breaking down.

After the carpet cleaning, I'd change the cabin air filter (if it has one) and spray a shot of Ozium around the interior before I closed the vehicle up for the night or any other time it sits awhile. Air system could be harboring dust or water/condensation, so I'd look into diagrams or anecdotes for common places dust or mildew might accumulate in that model, too, like from the AC drain or fresh air intake and clean those areas, as well.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

I got my generator, but I'm not sure if it's working. The instructions said the plate should turn purple in use, but I'm pretty sure mine stayed blue (the fan did turn on though). I could definitely smell something, but it didn't smell like ozone usually smells to me (at least when I've smelt it near high voltage equipment, etc). Dumb question, but does yours make that typical ozone smell? Since my instructions explicitly say if the fan is working but it's not purple, there's probably an issue with the transformer, I'm wondering if they're commonly DOA for these units.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

I got my generator, but I'm not sure if it's working. The instructions said the plate should turn purple in use, but I'm pretty sure mine stayed blue (the fan did turn on though). I could definitely smell something, but it didn't smell like ozone usually smells to me (at least when I've smelt it near high voltage equipment, etc). Dumb question, but does yours make that typical ozone smell? Since my instructions explicitly say if the fan is working but it's not purple, there's probably an issue with the transformer, I'm wondering if they're commonly DOA for these units.

The plate glows a with a feint blue light. It buzzes a bit. It definitely smells like ozone, but super-concentrated... like if you put a slot car in a box and ran it full-bore without any air circulation. Any of that sound familiar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

The plate glows a with a feint blue light. It buzzes a bit. It definitely smells like ozone, but super-concentrated... like if you put a slot car in a box and ran it full-bore without any air circulation. Any of that sound familiar?

Looks like my unit was DOA, I know just what you're talking about with the slot car, but that smell isn't there.