Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MohShuvuu posted:

I've been told Chrome uses more resources than it should.

That's pretty just just chrome in general. Using 17gb of ram right now, the main thing open is 200 chrome tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Rexxed posted:

the main thing open is 200 chrome tabs.

:captainpop:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I've been told people open more Chrome tabs than they should.

It was me, I told myself.

Anyway, how much RAM a program 'should use' is subjective, and unless there's a memory leak the correct amount of RAM to use is however much it's using.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
FYI I am the final word on how much resources any particular program should be using.

Chrome uses an acceptable amount of resources.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

the littlest prince posted:

I've been told people open more Chrome tabs than they should.

It was me, I told myself.

Anyway, how much RAM a program 'should use' is subjective, and unless there's a memory leak the correct amount of RAM to use is however much it's using.
I think in this context it was probably meant to eb that chrome on win 10 uses more resources than chrome on win 7/8.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a decent extension that will disable autoplay videos from starting? I know I can change the settings to approve all plug-ins but I'd rather it just have the video up there but not autoplay.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
What kind of video? The built in flash has that as an option somewhere. HTML5 would need something else though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DemonMage posted:

What kind of video? The built in flash has that as an option somewhere. HTML5 would need something else though.

Flash videos mainly on news sites. Here's an example of a page doing it. If there is a setting built-in, could you point me to it? Right now I have it set to "Let me choose when to run plug-in content" in the privacy settings.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
1440p chrome in windows 10 makes the font really tiny. Is there anything better than just setting text to large at 100% zoom? Windows' scaling just makes everything blurry.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Niwrad posted:

Flash videos mainly on news sites. Here's an example of a page doing it. If there is a setting built-in, could you point me to it? Right now I have it set to "Let me choose when to run plug-in content" in the privacy settings.

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of. I have FlashBlock since I basically never use Flash, so I guess it doesn't quite function like how I thought it did, sorry.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im tired of bright sites, whats a good plugin to go easy on the eyes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I dealt with something like this the other night. I had too many tabs open and one of them started playing audio intermittently. Had to close enough tabs to see the audio icon on the tab because I couldn't find it by cycling through. :negative:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Not sure if this is the right thread for this - I got a Chromebook (Asus C100P) and got Crouton all set up for shell stuff, everything was great, got CLI Ubuntu stuff running. At some point around the same time, I both did a big apt-get upgrade and switched the Chrome OS channel from stable to beta. Doing df -h afterwards looked weird, a lot of stuff was doubled up. Started getting hard resets randomly out of nowhere, so disabled a bunch of extensions which seemed to help but they'd still happen occasionally. Powerwashed, no change. Eventually changed back to the stable channel and haven't had issues since then.

So my question is if it'd be unusual to have random hard resets (even with extensions disabled) because of running on the beta channel, as leaving it seemed to resolve the issue, or if it must have been something funky Crouton-wise that happened and changing channels somehow fixed whatever damage I did there.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Playing around with it on and off again. I hopped off it when I fell for all the "Google are evil and watching every site you go to with Chrome and selling it!" FUD that gets spread around the internet but find Firefox a bit on the sluggish side and Safari just seems to "do weird things sometimes" and have me fire up another browser to get some site working. No idea why as it's all Webkit. Anyway since they brought out their new privacy pages to say "guys we're actually not that evil, stop believing all the Scroogled type poo poo" it's seemed well worth giving another go.

It's like a breath of fresh air again. Google just really seem to "get it". I've become quite a fan of ChromeOS too. As a huge Apple fanboy I would say Google's stuff is about on par in terms of "getting it" and really understanding how to please the user, except with the bonus of being cross platform.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Anroid.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mozi posted:

So my question is if it'd be unusual to have random hard resets (even with extensions disabled) because of running on the beta channel, as leaving it seemed to resolve the issue, or if it must have been something funky Crouton-wise that happened and changing channels somehow fixed whatever damage I did there.
It was probably Beta. I've been getting a few hard freezes on my Exynos Chromebook since updating to v44, which introduces the new graphics stack for that platform, whereas it never happened before. I'm not sure if the C100P always used their custom graphics stack (freon) or started with Xorg, but it's not surprising either way.

Crouton wouldn't be a problem, particularly if you're just using CLI stuff and not running Xorg. The reason df output "doubles up" is because Crouton uses bind mounts for /home, /tmp, and other system paths inside the chroot

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Cool, thanks!

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Hmm, I noticed that the OP has a pretty bare bones extensions list.

Does anyone have a list of recommended extensions or other things you can't live without?

I've switched over to ublock origin recently, and I have a lastpass extension, but that's about it right now...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cloud-to-butt-plus/apmlngnhgbnjpajelfkmabhkfapgnoai?hl=en

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I originally posted this in the Opera thread but was informed that newer versions of Opera (31 in my case) are just Chrome in disguise.

Anyway, how do I get downloaded media to auto-play on completion?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
On my laptop running windows 10, Chrome has Windows 10 style minimize/close buttons. On my desktop, also running 10, is has the old style what do I enable to switch to the 10 style?

Edit: Nevermind, clicking restore default theme fixed that. I thought I was running the default theme :confused:

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 17, 2015

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

MohShuvuu posted:

I've been told chrome doesn't play nice with Windows 10, but I plan on upgrading to that soon anyways. Has that issue been fixed?

This wasn't an issue when you first posted, but it is now: build 10525 of the Insider Preview breaks sandboxing in Chrome 64-bit (all release channels), and thus the whole thing crashes when you try to load it unless you switch off the sandbox altogether. Not a problem for 32-bit, strangely enough, and Firefox's sandbox project breaks the same way under the same preview build.

This is one of the reasons that the new Win10 update system rolls out on phases, but they're still probably going to push it on you eventually.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Realistically by the time that build is pushed to everyone Google will have fixed that

Its not like its a staged roll out of a final build

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 20, 2015

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Seeing as how the opt-in button for Insider builds Win10 added to Update makes it easier than ever to experience this type of headache first-hand, it's worth letting everybody know. :shrug:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I just updated to Windows 10 from 8.1 and now the Chrome home screen is being weird.

Only loads 6 out of the normal 8 shortcuts, and none of the usual links to gmail, etc. Is this a known bug or just some weird luck of the draw defect?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I just updated to Windows 10 from 8.1 and now the Chrome home screen is being weird.

Only loads 6 out of the normal 8 shortcuts, and none of the usual links to gmail, etc. Is this a known bug or just some weird luck of the draw defect?

Mine was doing that too. Maximize chrome with the homepage open then press ctrl-f5 (ctrl-refresh). Fixed it for me.

edit: Nevermind, it still loads three wide sometimes but as long as the window is wide enough for four thumbnails a ctrl-refresh makes it go four wide again. Thats kind of annoying, and only been happening for a few days. Hopefully they'll fix it.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=495968

Pivit fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 21, 2015

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Anyone else having ads play on YouTube? I have uBlock, adblock, and the latest beta of Chrome.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Anyone else having ads play on YouTube? I have uBlock, adblock, and the latest beta of Chrome.

Well first I'd disable adblock in case there was some sort of conflict, then I'd make sure all the uBlock filters were up to date then I'd restart Chrome and see if the problems fixed.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

101 posted:

Well first I'd disable adblock in case there was some sort of conflict, then I'd make sure all the uBlock filters were up to date then I'd restart Chrome and see if the problems fixed.

Removed ublock, restarted Chrome, then added ublock back fixed the problem. So annoying.

e: nevermind the ads are back.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 22, 2015

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
....why are you using... two adblockers?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Celexi posted:

....why are you using... two adblockers?

I only installed adblock because ublock stopped working for youtube.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I only installed adblock because ublock stopped working for youtube.

I am not sure why you are using ublock, but the ublock to use is ublock origin, so remove those two and install ublock origin. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Xposting from W10 thread. W10, Chrome, and Youtube aren't' playing well. My display driver stops responding over and over, like every couple of minutes, while watching Youtube in Chrome. I have onboard video, Intel2000, not a Windows Insider or running any beta stuff. Not happening in Edge or Firefox (so far). Googled the problem but I can't find anything useful. fake edit; after reading the above I'm wondering if it could be caused by ublock origin, I'm going to disable that and try again.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

wormil posted:

Xposting from W10 thread. W10, Chrome, and Youtube aren't' playing well. My display driver stops responding over and over, like every couple of minutes, while watching Youtube in Chrome. I have onboard video, Intel2000, not a Windows Insider or running any beta stuff. Not happening in Edge or Firefox (so far). Googled the problem but I can't find anything useful. fake edit; after reading the above I'm wondering if it could be caused by ublock origin, I'm going to disable that and try again.

Go into chrome settings, click on advanced settings at the bottom, then uncheck the box to use hardware acceleration. Mine started popping up with display driver stopped responding a few months back with a GTX 970. With hardware acceleration disabled it still plays videos just fine, but no errors now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pivit posted:

Go into chrome settings, click on advanced settings at the bottom, then uncheck the box to use hardware acceleration. Mine started popping up with display driver stopped responding a few months back with a GTX 970. With hardware acceleration disabled it still plays videos just fine, but no errors now.

Thank you, I will do this tonight.

EDIT; did not help at all. Turning off ublock did not help.

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 26, 2015

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Has Chrome fixed anything with Win10 build 10525 yet? I know the Canary build does but I wanted something a tiny less "explosive".

Edit: The dev build works fine.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 27, 2015

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Chrome 45 is out. Notably, NPAPI is gone, and Logjam has been fixed (finally).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

wormil posted:

Thank you, I will do this tonight.

EDIT; did not help at all. Turning off ublock did not help.

Does incognito work?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Does anyone know how to disable RC4 entirely? I tried the --cipher-suite-blacklist trick, but that doesn't turn off the fallback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

This started happening for me when I went to Chrome 45. uBlock Origin is not stopping pre-roll ads at all, which is really annoying when they're up to three goddamn minutes long and unskippable.