Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Just played this at PAX and got the Marblehead promo, and think I'll start playing a bit. The Marblehead seems pretty solid, so I'll just need to get up some backup boats up to level 5 (which seems like the point where the ships feel like actual warships), then can slowly level from there. Is there any reason to start leveling Japan or America, or are they both kinda equalish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
They can be quite different actually. US Destroyers are more about their guns while IJN DD are more about their torpedos.Cruisers again some US cruisers don't even get a torpedo option but they have often better guns and/or AA while IJN CA get some torpedos with pretty long range (T6 Aoba has 10km). With Battleships it's mostly about low speed/higher armor/more guns compared to the IJN line and with Carriers US is more about Air superiority while IJN is more about actually killing stuff.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Got it. After looking again it seems that the paths are separate beyond rank 2, so it's more like 8 paths; no real point to stick to either side. Suppose I'll start by aiming for the Minekaze, seems like a good way to play a quickish game while waiting for other battles to end.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Any mods working with 0.4.1 yet??

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
I literally can't access the PAX Marblehead topic on the forums to post my result. It just loads for a while and shows a blank page, with both FF and Chrome. All other threads open up fine. Is this just on my end or did the sheer volume of entries break WG's probably lovely forum software?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Maybe I'm not like everyone else, but I have zero desire to jump through these hoops to get a ship that's just like another ship I already have, even with a free port slot. Sounds like an enormous pain in the rear end.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

PirateBob posted:

Any mods working with 0.4.1 yet??

Aslains page seems to be down despite the old installer claiming there's a new version for 4.1

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Kuntz posted:

I literally can't access the PAX Marblehead topic on the forums to post my result. It just loads for a while and shows a blank page, with both FF and Chrome. All other threads open up fine. Is this just on my end or did the sheer volume of entries break WG's probably lovely forum software?

It's not loading for me, hopefully it will be working later, still need 1 last E

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The idea that you can counter a hilariously overpowered player by ensuring that the other team also has a hilariously overpowered player is either genius or imbecilic.

Oh wait, it's the latter. My team's carrier is AFK. Or American.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The matchmaker finally enforces carrier parity, and my Mogami gets put into a game on the same team as some dipshits that divisioned a Langley with a Furutaka and Atlanta. That went great against the enemy team that had a North Carolina and Independence with nothing below tier 6.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Gort posted:

The idea that you can counter a hilariously overpowered player by ensuring that the other team also has a hilariously overpowered player is either genius or imbecilic.

I'm really not struggling with CVs. I'm grinding the Fuso and Myoko/Atago primarily, and I can't even think of the last time I died to straight tbs out of nowhere. Even getting stuck in battles with Midway and Hakuryus I have little trouble dodging and weaving in the CAs in conjunction with the AA skill, or just sticking with a cruiser in my Fuso. This isn't intended to be a bragging post, but just that I don't really understand why CVs are such a big deal to the player base.

A good CV should devastate solo battleships and probably low tier cruisers, but once you hit tier 6 and above CAs make pretty big no fly zones, and battleships make you pay for dropping on them even unsupported.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I very rarely DIE to TBs out of nowhere, but I often take 25000-30000 damage from them and have to spend my repair because flooding lasts 2 minutes and is a total death sentence otherwise. When they hit you from several angles at once there isn't much you can do.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Gort posted:

I very much enjoy teaching smug carrier drivers that Clevelands aren't the only cruiser which shreds aircraft.

They tend to ignore my Aoba because :laffo: Japanese AAA only to find that the top hull with a skipper who has Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, a catapult fighter and the Max AAA consumable popped wrecks air groups and causes torpedo squadrons to launch their torpedoes every which way instead of at their intended target as they scramble to get the gently caress away from the AAA barrage. The Myoko and Atago are also pretty good at it, but I don't like playing Tier 7 and 8 because the player pool is so small that the matchmaker serves up lopsided matches more often than not.

As someone said earlier shooting down aircraft doesn't earn much in the way of credits or experience but you do make your pubbie battleship drivers very grateful and keeping ships on the field means that your team is less likely to get rolled. Also once in while you get a very frustrated enemy CV driver who cries over all chat that cruisers are OP and blah blah blah. When that happens I just thank them for the light snack and look forward to hunting them down and slowly burning them to death with 8" shells.

They *really* don't like that. :chord:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arishtat posted:

As someone said earlier shooting down aircraft doesn't earn much in the way of credits or experience but you do make your pubbie battleship drivers very grateful and keeping ships on the field means that your team is less likely to get rolled. Also once in while you get a very frustrated enemy CV driver who cries over all chat that cruisers are OP and blah blah blah. When that happens I just thank them for the light snack and look forward to hunting them down and slowly burning them to death with 8" shells.

They *really* don't like that. :chord:

The bleating of a CV player who stayed back to hide when he realizes he's too far back for anyone to help him and an enemy fast cruiser or DD has found him is one of the best parts of this game.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I love diving head first into clusters of like 3-4 cruisers in my Kongo and then no one comes out alive. SUNS OUT GUNS OUT

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

The bleating of a CV player who stayed back to hide when he realizes he's too far back for anyone to help him and an enemy fast cruiser or DD has found him is one of the best parts of this game.

My wife knows when I've got a carrier dead to rights because the insane cackling can be heard throughout the house.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Velius posted:

I'm really not struggling with CVs. I'm grinding the Fuso and Myoko/Atago primarily, and I can't even think of the last time I died to straight tbs out of nowhere. Even getting stuck in battles with Midway and Hakuryus I have little trouble dodging and weaving in the CAs in conjunction with the AA skill, or just sticking with a cruiser in my Fuso. This isn't intended to be a bragging post, but just that I don't really understand why CVs are such a big deal to the player base.

A good CV should devastate solo battleships and probably low tier cruisers, but once you hit tier 6 and above CAs make pretty big no fly zones, and battleships make you pay for dropping on them even unsupported.

Whoah now, making that much sense about CVs isn't welcome around these parts.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
If the arming range for torpedoes was a bit further away, it wouldn't be a problem at all. Or if they reduced the number of max torp squads you could have up at once. Two is pretty bad, three must be some kind of bullshit.

If I'm paying attention to my surroundings, the only time I really eat poo poo from torp squads is when two of them face gently caress the front of my ship from both sides at the same time.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Whoah now, making that much sense about CVs isn't welcome around these parts.

NTRabbit.jpg

Velius posted:

The issue is that CVs have more kills, damage, win %, and XP at every single tier, by a large margin, than any other boat in the game. I won't rage over them like some people, but they could use a tweak to bring them inline with the other trees.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 2, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Uuuuuuugh, I want to play boats so much but I just can't stop playing Phantom Pain instead. Goddamn it, Kojima!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nice to see that even after delaying the patch a week a rather significant, and apparently common, bug seems to have made it in. That being squadrons occasionally starting to take constant damage with nothing near them. Hell, they'll continue to take damage even when landed.

As for gameplay, has anyone figured out how to effectively use the burst yet? Just having aircraft in the rectangle when you squadron starts its run does not necessarily seem to do much, so there seems to be a trick to it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Holy poo poo, I finally got my last E!

Thank you, ElKabong187 for allowing me to no longer obsess over this stupid contest!

I swear setting the post up in the forums was almost as painful as collecting all the letters.

Dark Helmut posted:

Maybe I'm not like everyone else, but I have zero desire to jump through these hoops to get a ship that's just like another ship I already have, even with a free port slot. Sounds like an enormous pain in the rear end.

You are the true winner of this contest.

EDIT: The new Furutaka is much more bearable.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 3, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Why are ranked battles not available, if they added the game mode in?

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

sdr782 posted:

It's not loading for me, hopefully it will be working later, still need 1 last E

To anyone else having this problem, this fixed it for me:

quote:

1) At the top of the page, under "Official North American Forums", click the little person, and then choose My Profile from the drop down.

2) On the next page, click Edit My Profile on the right side

3) Under the title My Settings, click the easy to miss Forums button

4) First drop-down list, Number of posts to show for each topic page, choose a manageable number (like 25)

5) Click Save Changes.

I set it to show 10 posts per page to be sure. That button really is ridiculously easy to miss.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Done. Getting the last E and killing a North Carolina in my New Mexico was just a wonderful way to finish. I should also have enough xp and free xp to completely skip the Colorado now as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The stock Fuso is every bit as bad as I was told.

gently caress this boat.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

sdr782 posted:

By default opening a thread loads every post. Your browser is breaking. Change it to be paginated (x posts per page) in the forum settings.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Mods are still broken. That is all.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
How do you spoiler on their forums? Operation: copy other people's screenshots is complete. And gently caress that was a chore by itself, to hell with actually hunting everyone down. Glad I haven't had time to play anyways since I have a M and X in my name.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
If you're having trouble accessing the PAX MARBLEHEAD contest post, try the settings mentioned previously, and then try posting in the continuation thread. I couldn't get the original thread to display either.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I think I am done with this game. Nothing is fun past tier 5.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Did they stealth get rid of Standard battles, or did they add two cap Domination versions of some maps? I only got to play for a little while after the patch and had a two cap version of Two Brothers.

Dustoph posted:

How do you spoiler on their forums? Operation: copy other people's screenshots is complete. And gently caress that was a chore by itself, to hell with actually hunting everyone down. Glad I haven't had time to play anyways since I have a M and X in my name.
Spoiler is a button in the bottom row. That forum software is terrible. Click a button to spoiler then click a button for an image then paste the URL, bleh. I had to edit my post about 5 times to get it to turn out right without bbcode.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 3, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grrarg posted:

Spoiler is a button in the bottom row. That forum software is terrible. Click a button to spoiler then click a button for an image then paste the URL, bleh. I had to edit my post about 5 times to get it to turn out right without bbcode.

It was more annoying than killing the people, doing the entry.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Razzled posted:

I love diving head first into clusters of like 3-4 cruisers in my Kongo and then no one comes out alive. SUNS OUT GUNS OUT

This is what I still do in the Nagato, and fully intend to keep doing straight through to the Yamato. :black101:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

El Scotch posted:

This is what I still do in the Nagato, and fully intend to keep doing straight through to the Yamato. :black101:

It's great.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Hazdoc posted:

Uuuuuuugh, I want to play boats so much but I just can't stop playing Mad Max instead. Goddamn it, Chumbucket!

I feel ya

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Please, someone give me an A and a B. I've been playing for hours with goons and getting nothing.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Please, someone give me an A and a B. I've been playing for hours with goons and getting nothing.

Here's a link to one of mine I didn't use that was in Co-Op that just so happens to have both an A and a B

http://i.imgur.com/gAvc6ru.jpg

I've got a few others, so if people have specific requests I might be able to assist.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You're a godsend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So apparently certain ships have been given the ability to fly or partially submerge. No, really....

http://www.twitch.tv/braincage/v/9621590

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/47633-ninja-cleveland-buff/

If anyone in NA land is wanting to try this game, the streamer above got himself a private registration code to hand out: BRAINCAGE - If you use that code when signing up, you supposedly get 3 days premium, 500 gold and 100k credits to start with.