Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

10bux posted:

Great thanks! I just remember when I was looking at purchasing these, a lot of the comments were talking about soundcards and amps. A lot of people spoke as if you had to at least have one or the other. Otherwise, you weren't getting the "full experience" out of your headphones. I'm sure most of the people were over-reacting and don't believe that onboard is good enough; but, is there a case for portable amps/cards if you do a lot of traveling and would be listening to music from your phone, tablet, or ipod? I'm just curious, after what you said, there's no way I'm shelling out the money.

Oh, and does "monitor" headphone just refer to the style of the earpiece actually entering your ear canal? Or does it have to do with the components as well? Just seems like whenever I see "monitor headphones" they are $1k+. They do go into the ear canal, but I have a lovely $20 pair that does that as well.

Stuff like the m50 are not going to see a change with an amp. The dt770 does a bit and I think some grados do, but it's mostly a concern on more expensive , less portable models. Monitor is an application, as in a sound engineer monitors the recording/performance. I think most people who say that mean pro quality sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

10bux posted:

Great thanks! I just remember when I was looking at purchasing these, a lot of the comments were talking about soundcards and amps. A lot of people spoke as if you had to at least have one or the other. Otherwise, you weren't getting the "full experience" out of your headphones. I'm sure most of the people were over-reacting and don't believe that onboard is good enough; but, is there a case for portable amps/cards if you do a lot of traveling and would be listening to music from your phone, tablet, or ipod? I'm just curious, after what you said, there's no way I'm shelling out the money.

Oh, and does "monitor" headphone just refer to the style of the earpiece actually entering your ear canal? Or does it have to do with the components as well? Just seems like whenever I see "monitor headphones" they are $1k+. They do go into the ear canal, but I have a lovely $20 pair that does that as well.

Personally, while many onboard DACs are pretty decent now, in my opinion an external DAC *can* improve your sound as far as signal to noise ratio goes, and lower noise floor. Some may have slightly different signatures, too. But for the most part, when people say you aren't getting the "full experience", it's probably due to higher than 32-38ohm headphone impedance without an amplifier. Especially with orthodynamic or electrostatic headphones, they require a decent amount of power. Rule of thumb is, if it sounds good to you, then great! :d:

Typically "monitor" headphones are intended to be used during music production and as such should provide a very neutral, flat frequency response so as not to color the sound they hear while monitoring their production live. Many headphones have varying response curves, such as a sharp peak around 7-10khz, making them bright or like a low frequency bump for bass reproduction. See if your headphones are on: http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this is a bit of a long shot, but is there such a thing as IEM headphones that don't have noise canceling? A mic & volume controls are also mandatory as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

HappyHelmet posted:

I feel like this is a bit of a long shot, but is there such a thing as IEM headphones that don't have noise canceling? A mic & volume controls are also mandatory as well.

All IEMs will block some noise, it's just the nature of the design sealing off the ear canal. So to answer your question, no, there aren't any IEMs with truly no noise blocking.

That said, different models block noise to a different degree. The Xiaomi Piston 3 might suit your needs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Personally, while many onboard DACs are pretty decent now, in my opinion an external DAC *can* improve your sound as far as signal to noise ratio goes, and lower noise floor. Some may have slightly different signatures, too. But for the most part, when people say you aren't getting the "full experience", it's probably due to higher than 32-38ohm headphone impedance without an amplifier. Especially with orthodynamic or electrostatic headphones, they require a decent amount of power. Rule of thumb is, if it sounds good to you, then great! :d:
I'm very much in agreement with this. If you've got low-ohms cans and a decent board you'll be ok (but will still probably hear a difference, especially in noise floor), but lots of headphones are >80ohms, and lots of mainboards still have poo poo isolation. Again, if you like the sound, great.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
So I got a pair of HD598 headphones on the way, now I'm thinking about driving them on my PC. I'm going to wait until I hear them without any additional hardware, but if I want a DAC / Amp, am I going to be better served by something external like the Fiio E11K or a sound card, like the sound blaster Z?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It doesn't matter.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
At work I run an Asus Xonar U7 with Steelseries Siberia V2s, which comes to a sub-$100 "setup" if it even deserves that name, and the Asus is tons and tons and tons better than the onboard audio on the recent Dell Precision and Latitude laptops I use. I mostly listen to MP3s at 128kb and up.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So I'm looking to get into semi audiophile headphones and was wondering if you guys might be able to help me narrow it down to a specific pair.

What I'm looking for is:
$250 - $350 range
Rich details but not at the sake of bass.
Open back design
Good build quality (preferably not made in China)
Bonus would be reasonable to great comfort, detachable cable and minimal design.

I've been looking at the HD 598s, HD650s, the DT990s, and some of the HifiMans, the Sennheiser Momentums, the Philips X2s.

Now because I'm a picky twat, here what I do not like about each of the headphones that I've considered so far

HD598/600/650:
Don't really like the looks of the 5xx-6xx Sennheisers. The color scheme on the 598s is just very tacky in my opinion and both look like any other $50-150 Sennheisers.
The faux marble look on the 600s is rear end ugly.
Get that it's not supposed to be a fashion piece of but can't help wanting something nice looking when spending more.

DT990:
From what I've heard the 990s (and all Beyerdynamics) are very treble rich.
Do not have a removable cable.
Heard mixed reviews on quality control.

HifiMans:
Are a bit out of my price range.
Made in China.

Momentums:
I really just like because of the design.
They're made in China.
And are closed back.

X2s:
Are made in China as well.
Apprehensive about the quality of Philips high end headphones.

I'm not opposed to buying used or refurbed to save some bucks or to get a better deal on a higher quality set. Is there something that meets these specs?

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 2, 2015

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

travisray2004 posted:

Get that it's not supposed to be a fashion piece of but can't help wanting something nice looking when spending more.

Listen to a pair of HD650s and then decided if you care about looks. Also you can't see them when they're on your head.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I agree that the faux marble on the senns looks awful, but it's slightly less bad irl. Hifiman has the he400s coming which will be in your price range and has great advance reviews. If you want to buy now, unless you have a sound preference for the hd600, the Philips x2 is the way to go. I don't think there's any reason to worry about build quality. Check out innerfidelity and tyll's wall of fame for more details.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just got a lead on a cheap set of used DT770 32ohms, they are said to be almost not used at all, but are from 2009. Are they worth going for, or will they have deteriorated too bad by themselves by now?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

absolem posted:

I agree that the faux marble on the senns looks awful, but it's slightly less bad irl. Hifiman has the he400s coming which will be in your price range and has great advance reviews. If you want to buy now, unless you have a sound preference for the hd600, the Philips x2 is the way to go. I don't think there's any reason to worry about build quality. Check out innerfidelity and tyll's wall of fame for more details.

Ugh. Don't know how I just noticed that the X2s are supraaural. Was heavily leaning towards them until I found that out. I was also very interested in the custom DT990s that were on Massdrop a while back but I currently do not have any amplification and those things are 600 ohm. Shame.
Guess I will be reading up on the he400s.
Thanks!

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

travisray2004 posted:

Ugh. Don't know how I just noticed that the X2s are supraaural. Was heavily leaning towards them until I found that out. I was also very interested in the custom DT990s that were on Massdrop a while back but I currently do not have any amplification and those things are 600 ohm. Shame.
Guess I will be reading up on the he400s.
Thanks!

The x2 is circumaural, not supra aural. You will probably want amplification with any of these options.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

absolem posted:

The x2 is circumaural, not supra aural. You will probably want amplification with any of these options.

That was my assumption but I'm still getting into all of the terminology so I thought it might have meant a specific type of on ears. Guess Amazon was wrong, hah.
From what I've read on Amazon and headfi, the he400s benefits from amplification but doesn't necessarily need it. Will probably invest in an amp eventually.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Audio-Technica CKR9s for 139 on Amazon. Half off their full retail price. Grabbed a pair as soon as I saw the price.

From everything I researched these were a great value at 200 dollars. Will post my thoughts after a few weeks with them.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

travisray2004 posted:

That was my assumption but I'm still getting into all of the terminology so I thought it might have meant a specific type of on ears. Guess Amazon was wrong, hah.
From what I've read on Amazon and headfi, the he400s benefits from amplification but doesn't necessarily need it. Will probably invest in an amp eventually.

The Hifiman cans are sensitive by orthodynamic standards but you definitely will want amplification. Of your list, I'd go for the HE-400/500 or HD-600/650. I have Beyerdynamic DT990s and DT770s, neither of them have much in the way of bass, even the closed 770s.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Tactical Lesbian posted:

The Hifiman cans are sensitive by orthodynamic standards but you definitely will want amplification. Of your list, I'd go for the HE-400/500 or HD-600/650. I have Beyerdynamic DT990s and DT770s, neither of them have much in the way of bass, even the closed 770s.

I think the he500 and hd600/650 are out of his budget. Why recommend the he400 and not the he400s?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

absolem posted:

Why recommend the he400 and not the he400s?

Do hwut now?

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

The he400s is a new product, the reviews I've seen say it's much better than the he400 for $50 more

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

absolem posted:

The he400s is a new product, the reviews I've seen say it's much better than the he400 for $50 more

Oh neat, glad I didn't buy the HE400 a few months ago then! Thanks~

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I have Beyerdynamic DT990s and DT770s, neither of them have much in the way of bass, even the closed 770s.

DT770's are known for being bass-heavy. I don't find it overwhelming, I use DT770s for my computer, but they definitely are not lacking in bass at all... Are you comparing to Beats or something? I don't mean that pejoratively at all, the only headphones I've used that could make the 770s seem bass-weak were the Beats Wireless Studio 2.0.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

ddogflex posted:

DT770's are known for being bass-heavy. I don't find it overwhelming, I use DT770s for my computer, but they definitely are not lacking in bass at all... Are you comparing to Beats or something? I don't mean that pejoratively at all, the only headphones I've used that could make the 770s seem bass-weak were the Beats Wireless Studio 2.0.

The DT770s can give some really good bass reproduction but dat sibilance with the sharp treble peak kind of overpowers the bass IMO. When I listen to something like Indigo Children by Puscifer, the opening vibrates my cheeks. :d:

Not sure what I was thinking when I said that, though.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Does this seem like a legit Piston 3 seller?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
So far the CKR9's have been very impressive. A nice spread out sound stage. The bass is tight and punchy instead of muddy or overwhelming.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Does it have to be the Youth edition? Because this seller is legit and it's cheaper to get the full version: http://www.amazon.ca/Original-Xiaom...keywords=piston

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm split between the Bowers & Wilkins P7, and the Bang and Olufsen H6.

Primary use would be a split between music that's bass heavy, movies, and gaming. The H6 sounds like it wins out on comfort and better overall soundstage, but I hear it's weak on bass.

Anyone recommend one over the other, or if there's another set that's worth greater attention at under $500 CAD?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

M. Propagandalf posted:

I'm split between the Bowers & Wilkins P7, and the Bang and Olufsen H6.

Primary use would be a split between music that's bass heavy, movies, and gaming. The H6 sounds like it wins out on comfort and better overall soundstage, but I hear it's weak on bass.

Anyone recommend one over the other, or if there's another set that's worth greater attention at under $500 CAD?

V-Moda Crossfade M-100 or Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80. The two headphones you chose are really overpriced for the sound quality.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I agree with the above. I have the m100 and love it, but I think the best closed headphone under $500 is the oppo pm3 ($400). Check out the wirecutter's headphone Roundup and innerfidelity for more options.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

grack posted:

Does it have to be the Youth edition? Because this seller is legit and it's cheaper to get the full version: http://www.amazon.ca/Original-Xiaom...keywords=piston

Whoops, didn't even notice. Never shop while drowsy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

absolem posted:

I agree with the above. I have the m100 and love it, but I think the best closed headphone under $500 is the oppo pm3 ($400). Check out the wirecutter's headphone Roundup and innerfidelity for more options.

The Oppo PM-3 is well north of $500 in Canada with tax and shipping.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

grack posted:

The Oppo PM-3 is well north of $500 in Canada with tax and shipping.

Ouch, never mind then

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So if you've never had a set of over ear headphones/monitors before, the AKG K99's are a great place to start. And they're $35 on massdrop right now.
I just bought a pair.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k99-audiophile-headphones

Don't think, just do. it's only $35 and the deal ends in 2 days.

Also, if you're a complete audiophile, they have the beyerdynamic dt990's for $220. They're the 600ohm model though, so you're gonna need a nice amp.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My old JVC HA-S700's broke this evening, and so I need to replace them. I'd like an over-ear pair for general computer use that occasionally lasts for hours on the weekends. Budget's sub-$100, preferably sub-$80.

So far the top contender seems to be the Creative Aurvana Live headphones, though the Philips O'Neill SHO9560, and Phillips Superlux HD668B also seem decent. Does anyone have any advice on any of those three? Or am I making a horrible mistake and should be getting _____ instead? (a headset with mic would be gravy but is very low priority)

(I also looked at those $35 AKG K99's but, uh, the site confuses me. I want to be able to give them my money and get my items without logging into facebook)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Arcturas posted:

My old JVC HA-S700's broke this evening, and so I need to replace them. I'd like an over-ear pair for general computer use that occasionally lasts for hours on the weekends. Budget's sub-$100, preferably sub-$80.

So far the top contender seems to be the Creative Aurvana Live headphones, though the Philips O'Neill SHO9560, and Phillips Superlux HD668B also seem decent. Does anyone have any advice on any of those three? Or am I making a horrible mistake and should be getting _____ instead? (a headset with mic would be gravy but is very low priority)

(I also looked at those $35 AKG K99's but, uh, the site confuses me. I want to be able to give them my money and get my items without logging into facebook)

Sennheiser Momentum
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Mo...heiser+momentum

Edit: I do not know if the controls work with anything other than iPhones

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Arcturas posted:

How important is isolation? Sennheiser HD558 and Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X can be found for about $100 quite often, and are probably my favorite open headphones at that price. If you want closed then I don't really have much in the way of recommendations as I really don't use them (go for IEMs if I need isolation), but the Sony MDR-V6/7506 is a common suggestion, and the AKG K240 is a semi-open option.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sennheiser Momentum
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Mo...heiser+momentum

Edit: I do not know if the controls work with anything other than iPhones

He wanted over-ear, and those are the on-ear Momentums, not the more expensive over-ear version. I had them for a while, but found them to be rather uncomfortable (though I think that for almost all supra-aural headphones).

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 10, 2015

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The upcoming DT-1770 was exactly what I was looking for as an upgrade to my 770s, but the naming is a little bit misleading. It seems to be a Tesla successor, and is priced accordingly, not a DT-770 successor.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GokieKS posted:

How important is isolation? Sennheiser HD558 and Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X can be found for about $100 quite often, and are probably my favorite open headphones at that price. If you want closed then I don't really have much in the way of recommendations as I really don't use them (go for IEMs if I need isolation), but the Sony MDR-V6/7506 is a common suggestion, and the AKG K240 is a semi-open option.

He wanted over-ear, and those are the on-ear Momentums, not the more expensive over-ear version. I had them for a while, but found them to be rather uncomfortable (though I think that for almost all supra-aural headphones).

Whoops I misread that, sorry. I thought he said On-ear.
You had the over-ear ones?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Whoops I misread that, sorry. I thought he said On-ear.
You had the over-ear ones?

No, the on-ear. I needed something with only some isolation (so I can hear people at work), and I figured supra-aural would fit the bill better, but about a week of use made me reconsider and returned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I'm looking to upgrade my aging and well used headphones.

Budget - $70-120 Canadian to replace my similarly priced PX-100 that I use for walking around and $200-400 Canadian for my at-home headphones.
Source - iPhone for the cheaper one and an old Denon AVR that's connected to my onboard audio from my desktop via optical cable for the more expensive pair.
Isolation Requirements - Maybe and no.
Preferred Type of Headphone - On/over ear and over ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced and balanced/good bass.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser PX-100 & HD555, I enjoyed them. Other than cheap headphones that came with walkmans & discmans in the past; the HD555 were my first major headphone purchase and I'm still using them, the PX-100 were bought around a year later to use while walking, running and at the gym but they're pretty beat up and the cord is starting to get damaged which I believe has lead to the sound cutting out occasionally.
Preferred Music - Hip hop, classic rock and some techno for my walking/gym music and the at-home pair will be used mostly for TV & movies from my computer.