Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The Android Thread - The Snapdragon 810 Is Bad; Get a Motorola or Wait for the Nexus 5 Refresh

TenaciousTomato posted:

No, it's stupidly unecessary but Lenovo is probably trying to mime the giant Apple lineup and versions. My friends phone (forget if LG or Samsung...) has those dumb rubber guards on the outside like a built in case and not only is it ugly as poo poo, he also cracked his screen in a few months :lol:

Motorola customers appreciate the simplicity, but the masses prefer having ten options to "differentiate" themselves from other people's phones (Samsung, Apple)

People should mimic Apple's naming convention because it's simple: Phone, Big Phone, Small Tablet, Full Tablet. How do the letters E, G, and X tell you anything about the product?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dpbjinc posted:

How do the letters E, G, and X tell you anything about the product?

Economical, General Consumer, eXtreme user

Or something like that.. maybe?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Droid Washington posted:

Economical, General Consumer, eXtreme user

Or something like that.. maybe?

Better the closer you get to Z?

Don't be such an autist. Apple's system isn't intuitive, they've just been consistent since the 3GS.

Edit: quoted wrong person. Sorry, wasn't meant for you droid

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Never mind.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
The 2014 Moto X I picked up for $180 off of ebay arrived -- some company was selling a whole bunch of unlocked Verizon versions. I have at&t and just slipped my sim card in (which I had to modify with scissors from micro to nano.)

Verdict: I'm very happy I made this purchase. The only reason I bought it was because I had broken my 2013 Nexus 5 which didn't seem cost effective to repair.

It's the 16 GB version, and the only issue I have is that it's showing only 10 GB available after it downloaded some of my basic files and simple apps (facebook, twitter, etc.) Not sure what's hogging all the other storage.

The device feels more substantial and less plastic than the Nexus 5. It feels good in the hand.

It is, in short, a work of art, and I for one welcome the feel of its weight against my thighs in the years ahead.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

starry skies above posted:

The 2014 Moto X I picked up for $180 off of ebay arrived -- some company was selling a whole bunch of unlocked Verizon versions. I have at&t and just slipped my sim card in (which I had to modify with scissors from micro to nano.)

Verdict: I'm very happy I made this purchase. The only reason I bought it was because I had broken my 2013 Nexus 5 which didn't seem cost effective to repair.

It's the 16 GB version, and the only issue I have is that it's showing only 10 GB available after it downloaded some of my basic files and simple apps (facebook, twitter, etc.) Not sure what's hogging all the other storage.

The device feels more substantial and less plastic than the Nexus 5. It feels good in the hand.

It is, in short, a work of art, and I for one welcome the feel of its weight against my thighs in the years ahead.

Yeah, it's real good. For the storage, that seems completely expected. I think there's ~12 GB available to the user, so installing a few apps, downloading some sort of files (?), and using it so that stuff starts getting cached by apps should pretty easily take it to 10 and change.

E: Actually I think mine says it has ~10.3 GB available to the user, with the rest used by system stuff. I thought Moto would be a little better, though that's still better than the Galaxy S5, I think, that had ~8 free on the 16 GB model.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 3, 2015

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Ill stretch my MAXX till 2016, fukkit

Depending how the new Nexus 5 looks, I might end up rolling with my Nexus 4 for another year. :hfive:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I tried to make a moto x pure and the backorder date was October. I guess I'll wait...

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Rusty Kettle posted:

I tried to make a moto x pure and the backorder date was October. I guess I'll wait...

I bought my '14 X in October of last year, not when it first went on sale, but it actually shipped before the expected ship date. It might not actually be Nexus levels of fuckery is what I'm saying. I didn't order today, I'm still debating on whether to get a leather back. I know they scratch and get dings and change shades, but I think that's kind of appealing. Especially for something that I'll realistically own for less than 2 years.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

dpbjinc posted:

People should mimic Apple's naming convention because it's simple: Phone, Big Phone, Small Tablet, Full Tablet. How do the letters E, G, and X tell you anything about the product?

If they kept the names e, G, and X then added the year or a model number, it would be a lot more useful than droid maxx turbo 2 vs. Moto Play. It builds brand and model consistency in the marketplace, like they do with cars, PlayStations, etc. This is increasingly important as carrier exclusive phones are becoming less common.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

dpbjinc posted:

Except Apple is Entry Level Phone, Last Years Phone, Phone, Small Tablet (x2) and Full Tablet (x2)

S and C aren't very meaningful after all

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Moto Bronze
Moto Silver
Moto Gold
Moto Platinum

Bam.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SouthLAnd posted:

Moto Bronze
Moto Silver
Moto Gold
Moto Platinum

Bam.

So I can get a Moto Platinum with a silver band and a rose gold accent color with a bronze back?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

The Android Thread - The Snapdragon 810 Is Bad; Get a Motorola or Wait for the Nexus 5 Refresh

Moto E is electric
Moto G is an Infiniti
Moto X is all-wheel drive

Duh.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

So I can get a Moto Platinum with a silver band and a rose gold accent color with a bronze back?

Yes. With a baby seal pelt backing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Really simple naming scheme, for people who can't grasp that a higher letter is a higher end model: Moto Good, Moto Better, Moto Best.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thread is so much better now than it was a few pages ago

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Those really low end prepaid phones have probably the most hosed up naming schemes.

ZTE Grand S Max+!
Samsung Galaxy Light 2 Pro!
Kyocera Torque Force Ultra Wave!

(I don't know if these actually exist, but they sound like they should).

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Thread is so much better now than it was a few pages ago

Don't worry, iPhone announcements are next week. We'll descend back into chaos.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super Dude posted:

Don't worry, iPhone announcements are next week. We'll descend back into chaos.

Once Marshmallow hits and people start fooling around with he "Marry SD Card to OS" option you'll really see some fireworks, when people do so, and then take out the SD and have no idea why random things are missing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Once Marshmallow hits and people start fooling around with he "Marry SD Card to OS" option you'll really see some fireworks, when people do so, and then take out the SD and have no idea why random things are missing.
You mean six months after Marshmallow hits when devices with SD cards are getting it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I honestly don't miss expandable storage in the slightest. 32GB of internal storage is more than enough since I use the Google music app to listen my music.

E: :haw:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 3, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

I honestly don't miss expandable storage in the slightest. 32GB of internal storage is more than enough since I use the Google music app to listen my music.

loving triggered man, time to duck out of this thread for the next 24 hours.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
What are you people putting in your phones that can't be streamed?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I imagine Marshmallow's SD card implementation will be similar to Samsung's, where everything in the card disappears when you unmount the card and returns once you put it back in. If someone were to simply rip out the card without unmounting first it probably won't be pretty though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Depths posted:

4k animes

I have never even inserted an external storage card into my various phones or had to do any sort of management to stay under 16GB/32GB. I am the future.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Depths posted:

I could see how it would be good for travel. Load up some movies for the train, plane, etc. That, and better cameras mean larger file sizes for images and video. Aside from big SLR type cameras, most people take all their vacation photos and stuff with their phones now. Filming your kid's school play in HD takes up a lot of space.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Desk Lamp posted:

I imagine Marshmallow's SD card implementation will be similar to Samsung's, where everything in the card disappears when you unmount the card and returns once you put it back in. If someone were to simply rip out the card without unmounting first it probably won't be pretty though.
Maybe it's subtle way to keep brand loyalty? I never realized this was an issue. Files I put on my SD card from my Note 2 is readable on Samsung Galaxy Tab S. My SD card is primarily used for media files (pictures, music, and movies) and it was really convenient to switch between the two when necessary. A few times I forgot to "unmount" through settings and never had a problem.

Depths posted:

Sometimes streaming isn't an option depending where you live or travel to or what carrier you have (looking at you TMO).

ijii fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 3, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Data limits? Battery? lovely reception?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
:supaburn: Pull up thread, pull up!!! :supaburn:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Goddamn its like clockwork

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Skarsnik posted:

Goddamn its like clockwork

There's a joke there about android having too many places to show time at once, but I'm waaay too tired to find it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Well, it is Wednesday/Thursday.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
i got a xiaomi 4 for $250, wiped off the dumb MiUI OS, and installed cyanogenmod 12.1

it's loving sweet i'm a v happy camper

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I must be missing something but I can't find a way to turn off vibration. Any advice? Android version is 5.0.2.

Edit: Never mind. Vibration settings are in the individual app settings.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 3, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Ugh, my flatmate ignored my recommendations to wait for the MotoX (in the UK), or New N5, and bought a OnePlus 2 (got the invite from a friend).

I've not faith in their software, plus an 810 could make it interesting.

Hope Moto aren't pointlessly delaying release of their flagship in the UK again till everyone has time to buy an iPhone / Samsung.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Motorola, please stop cancelling my loving orders, thanks.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Depths posted:

Perhaps you should try living in a country with data limits that are low enough to preclude the option :rolleyes:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any word when the new Moto X might start popping up on Amazon or at Best Buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Motorola, please stop cancelling my loving orders, thanks.

Thank god it wasn't just me. I ordered a new Moto 360 and first it said the card was no good, then when I put in a different one it said the item wasn't available.