Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

fartzone_42069 posted:

Not sure I'm in the right thread. Can anyone identify this painting? I want it on my wall.

http://m.imgur.com/2ZFnUKb

And for the drat life of me I cannot figure out how to make a "timg" thumbnail or whatever. If you tell me how I'll edit it plus stop annoying people with giant pictures in the future

Thanks person under me! It didn't show a picture when I tried that in preview.

E: Still didn't work. Just made it a link

Have you not heard of TinEye?

Two Men by the Sea, by Caspar David Friedrich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I have NOT heard of TinEye. Only Google Image search and art/historian friends. Thank you!!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Google Image search can search via images too. Click the camera icon in the search box or in Chrome right click, > search Google for this image or whatever.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
What's a reasonable price/royalty share for hiring a new, less than perfect illustrator on a relaxed schedule for a 24 page comic that will be published but will mostly be a testing-the-waters type endeavor?

My tentative budget is a couple grand so I'm thinking between $50-100 a page and I'd like to see something close to complete within a year. However all of this is flexible since it's in an exploratory if not hobby phase right now. Of course, if things work out I'd like to turn it into a consistent release with other projects.

Background: I have some artistic abilities, including inking/color using Photoshop, but my art's not clean and I lack the ability to draw a consistent character. My wife and I are both writers and I think we can turn out a good story/script.

I recently found out a young coworker of mine has the ability to draw. Not only that but she has clean lines, an intermediate understanding of anatomy and proportions, she's utilized Photoshop for layering ink/color, and she loves doing character design. She specializes in Disney/manga style but I can already she her own style in her work.

The only problem is she's busy (undergrad), she's a little weak on legs/feet, and she may not be that reliable in regards to deadlines.

Other than that, she's never been paid for commissions and she wants to be a professional illustrator some day.

We don't have a lot of money to invest in the project yet and I don't want to low-ball her.

What would be a fair offer for her services?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's a good resource on graffiti-style art with regards to learning it? I want to make stencils for miniature terrain that has graffiti on it and I don't want to just use decals. From my understanding there's a lot of layering involved, so I'd make multiple stencils for different layers, but I am not actually a good artist.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Lincoln posted:

And I have a completely different problem, also with Illustrator -- Here's what happens to Finder when I browse for a file using File --> Open in Illustrator:

I have to stretch the preview pane waaaay out to see even part of the image. If the width of the preview pane is at default, it appears to be empty. Boy, took me a while to figure out what was going on. Browsing through Finder by itself (or in another app like PS) works fine, though. This is CC 2015.

Bumping this, since I have the exact same issue (with CS6)

Exclamation Marx posted:

In the past couple of weeks, my "Open" finder window thing has been playing up in Illustrator. Once I get 3 or 4 subfolders deep the Finder window stops snapping to the next column, and doesn't show the quick look previews at all (they're still there, I just can't scroll over to them properly). All of my Finder settings are good, and the file preview works everywhere else including PhotoShop, InDesign, etc. so I'm stumped.

it's like this, if I scroll quickly to the right it'll bounce briefly into view:

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.3 on a MacBook Pro, and I'm pretty sure I haven't updated anything that would be causing this.

e: it turns out Yosemite 10.10.3 is the problem. 10.10.4 seems to have fixed it for now at least :toot:

exmarx fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 12, 2015

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Are there any iOS apps out there that let me

1. crop custom shapes from photos
2. Blur brush
3. Layers (optional)
??

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Bumping this, since I have the exact same issue (with CS6)

e: it turns out Yosemite 10.10.3 is the problem. 10.10.4 seems to have fixed it for now at least :toot:

FYI if you hold option and resize a single column, it resizes all the columns semi-permanently.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
Can anyone recommend a good graphics tablet like a Wacom available for roughly around $200? I've got my eye on one or two, reviews on amazon are good, but just want to hear a few other opinions. Thanks in advance!

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Lord Psychodin posted:

Can anyone recommend a good graphics tablet like a Wacom available for roughly around $200? I've got my eye on one or two, reviews on amazon are good, but just want to hear a few other opinions. Thanks in advance!

The two factors I've seen in price for Wacom tablets is size and sensitivity. 9x6 (or 8.8x5.5 etc) is generally seen as the sweet spot for size (not too big, not too small) and although it's nice having 2048 pressure sensitivity, 1024 is more than enough for general graphics work. I have an Intuos4 and a Bamboo I've had for years and love them both. But I could have easily gotten by with just the Bamboo.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Lord Psychodin posted:

I like the Yiynova brand tablets though they go for more than 200. I've heard Huion uses the same drivers (UC Logic) and they sell some inexpensive tablets that might be worth checking out. I'm pretty sure they'll have some tablets way under 200. Frenden has a review of some of them here http://frenden.com/post/60704895108/huion-h610-k58-and-w58-tablet-review-round-up

opiate
Jan 6, 2004

mr. pighat
Need some photoshop help. not sure if this is the right spot. SA changed totally...

Im messing around by myself but im not happy with the result so if somebody wants to earn
10$ or 5€ via paypal you can hit me up via private message then i sent you higher res of the picture

i need the latern post and the other thing removed in this pic

http://imgur.com/4BvIkIL

if you want to help me out msg me
thanks

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Where do people get vinyl stickers made? And non-vinyl stickers, too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

opiate posted:

Need some photoshop help. not sure if this is the right spot. SA changed totally...

Im messing around by myself but im not happy with the result so if somebody wants to earn
10$ or 5€ via paypal you can hit me up via private message then i sent you higher res of the picture

i need the latern post and the other thing removed in this pic

http://imgur.com/4BvIkIL

if you want to help me out msg me
thanks

The place you want to post this is in the SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=61

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

painted bird posted:

Where do people get vinyl stickers made? And non-vinyl stickers, too.

http://stickerobot.com/

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Similar question, anybody have any recommendations for getting patches made? Lower volume stuff, preferably. Embroidered, woven, printed, whatever.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Are we really only left with posemaniacs and pixel lovely for generating random poses? I really liked quickposes since it had such a huger library of poses compared to pixel lovely, but it appears to be dead now. Are there any new sites that are better?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Graphic design goons:

I'm making a logo for a security blog (nothing commercial, just my private portfolio) and I've been staring at this thing for so drat long I can't tell if it's crap any more. Some feedback would be awesome.

I'm starting to think I should just do the first letter of the name in sans-serif lowercase and call it a day. :smithicide:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

1 and 2 look servicable, not good but not bad. 3's pretty terrible though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

1 and 2 look servicable, not good but not bad. 3's pretty terrible though.

Yeah, that one looks off to me, too, but I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. Any specific thoughts?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You have the back half of the head side on, but a 3/4 view on the muzzle and the line weights look wonky and fight with each other.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Better or worse?

Also, I know this is really subjective, but is the entire idea just terrible from a design point of view?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The thin outlines don't scream "security" to me. Something like this with details reversed out might be better?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

The thin outlines don't scream "security" to me. Something like this with details reversed out might be better?

Maybe. I'm worried about it looking too much like a black metal band though. Adjusted the collar on the right one to fix the perspective. Should I make the right one higher though? It seems like it's too low, but I don't want to make the logo off balance.

Edit: Thicker lines:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 5, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh wait they were meant to all part of a single logo? Yipe, yeah it didnt read at all as that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Oh wait they were meant to all part of a single logo? Yipe, yeah it didnt read at all as that.

Yeah, it wasn't consistent at all.

I adjusted the composition a little to hopefully bring it together more.

Edit:

Getting the perspective right is the hardest part for me. I have no idea how things look in real life. :downs:

Double Edit:

And as a title:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 5, 2015

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I need help with Adobe Illustrator for designing a serial plane, and I am next to entirely incompetent with Illustrator. Anyone know of a good tutorial site where they'll help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I'm going to go out in the woods with an axe and clear a path between the bottom of a small valley and a ridge which has got some maple trees on it. I am going to build a small shack in the woods and evaporate maple syrup and maybe also do other things in it.

I reckon there's money in uploading that sort of activity to youtube, but GoPro's video files are huge and my internet is not only Canadian but rural Canadian. The cost of uploading large files is prohibitive.

Feature length movies used to be about 650MB. Maybe we don't need to fit them on CDFS anymore, but video files can surely be smaller than GoPro output. Does anyone know the best codec for VirtualDub? (Do people still use VirtualDub?)

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

KillHour posted:

Yeah, it wasn't consistent at all.

I adjusted the composition a little to hopefully bring it together more.

And as a title:

The gradual ascent upward in the logo, lack of symmetry or comfortable asymmetry, plus the fact that heads 2 and 3 touch while 1 doesn't makes it look off. It looks better as silhouettes because the third head has a weird tooth growing out of its face on the top. Basically it's the third head that's the issue, it's too high and weird looking and has all sorts of unnecessary negative space below it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, mirror the first head around the second.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, mirror the first head around the second.

I've been thinking about doing this. There's something nice about the symmetry, but I just don't like it as much for some reason.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Imo you're going the wrong way and the first version was one of the best, aside from the weirdness going on with the teeth. The silhouettes have zero character. I also read it as 3 possible versions at first but i don't think that will be an actual issue when applied.

Start over with the text entirely :/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah maybe you might consider turning this thing into its own thread, 'Workshop my logo problems' or if you're feeling it's getting too out of hand, scrape some payment or exchange together and put together an SA-Mart call for help.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I don't want to hijack this thread, nor do I want to spend a week goon focus grouping a logo for a personal blog that, frankly, will get approximately no traffic. I'm just going to pick the version I like the most so far and run with it, maybe with some minor tweaks (probably the last non-silhouette version combined with the collars from the silhouette version).

Thanks for the input, everyone! :cheers:

Edit: I'm calling this final because I'm sick of looking at it and I need to actually, you know, build the website at some point.

Alternatively, I'll just use a picture of my actual dog.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 7, 2015

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
where can I do ... like... free album art or something for practice for people?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a design critique thread? I recall something like that but can't find it.

Edit: Nvm, found it.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Varicelli posted:

where can I do ... like... free album art or something for practice for people?

This is just a dumb idea, but it could be kind of neat to look at a list, something like '1000 records to hear before you die' or whatever, pick one that you aren't familiar with, and draw what you think the cover should look like.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I'm thinking of getting a Microsoft Surface Pro to use as a dedicated portable digital painting rig—as well as 3D modeling and printing, if it has the capacity for it. I have a subscription to the Adobe Suite, so I'm hoping I could just transfer that over.

Anyway, my main question is whether the Surface is anywhere near on par with Wacom with regard to pressure sensitivity. I was going to buy a Cintiq, but portability is a high priority for me and it doesn't sound right for my needs. I use an iPad with a Jot Touch 4 stylus, but even with Bluetooth the iPad just doesn't have that pressure sensitivity I want. Would the Surface be what I'm looking for? And if so, what should I look for in terms of RAM and CPU? I realize the short answer is "as much as I can buy," but I'm just looking for advice on what to look for.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

CloseFriend posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Microsoft Surface Pro to use as a dedicated portable digital painting rig—as well as 3D modeling and printing, if it has the capacity for it. I have a subscription to the Adobe Suite, so I'm hoping I could just transfer that over.

Anyway, my main question is whether the Surface is anywhere near on par with Wacom with regard to pressure sensitivity. I was going to buy a Cintiq, but portability is a high priority for me and it doesn't sound right for my needs. I use an iPad with a Jot Touch 4 stylus, but even with Bluetooth the iPad just doesn't have that pressure sensitivity I want. Would the Surface be what I'm looking for? And if so, what should I look for in terms of RAM and CPU? I realize the short answer is "as much as I can buy," but I'm just looking for advice on what to look for.

I've head good things about the Cintiq companion series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
How much should I charge for custom made bachelorette party invites? These are unique and won't be used for any other clients. I designed about six versions, finished the one which was selected. It has a front design and two versions of a back design. I will design wedding invites for that same client. If anyone can help out, thanks.