Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, even though it should be attached to the fact that the car did a stellar job of protecting its occupants, it won't stop someone from taking it out of context. Especially given this bit:

As if I didn't want a Tesla before, I want one even more now. An electric car that's still fun to drive and also insanely safe in a crash? Yes please.

Yeah this is the thing that might make me end up getting one. If it were just Ferrari fast I could be like "Ok that's just a completely unnecessary luxury, would be cool but I'd feel really dumb spending the money", now I have thoughts like "well I can afford it and it's the safest thing I can possibly get and that's gotta be worth a lot.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Update on solar since I mentioned it earlier: won't be happening I guess :( The roof won't support the panels SolarCity uses for various reasons. Might try looking elsewhere but not going to lie, I'm extremely sad and disappointed :( :( :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy poo poo. Glad you and the kids are ok. I don't remember reading about this in the news, did it happen around Bergen?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Ola posted:

Holy poo poo. Glad you and the kids are ok. I don't remember reading about this in the news, did it happen around Bergen?

It happend just outside haugesund, in Tysvær. I guess Tysvær is not the most newsworthy place to crash in. there was like a three paragraf thing on vg and bt. but no pics.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Edit: Wrong thread!

Glad you were ok in that crash, hope I never have to test my car like that :(

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 10, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

fjelltorsk posted:

:words: about crashing.

Thanks for sharing the after-report. Glad the car did such a great job of protecting your family, and it's great the Tesla took care of you so well.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 4, 2016

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

A quick google gave me https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wernsen.ada&hl=en - it looks like what you're looking for.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Lt Moose posted:

Does anyone know of an app that can run in the background and track driving habits? I'm really interested in picking up a used leaf, especially since I see there are a bunch for ~$11k or less in my area. My normal commute is no problem (25mi rt), and charging is available at work if necessary, but I don't just go to / from work every day. I guess I could keep a log in my current car and write down the mileage after every trip, but I'm looking for lazy alternatives

I'm going to get a few quotes to add an extra meter this week I currently track mileage and fillups with fuelly, so it should be easy for me to get data on current expenses. I'm hoping to make this financially pencil out.

Automatic (an obd2 reader) will send data to expensify (among others) to track this: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/06/automatic-and-mojio-bring-modern-luxury-gps-efficiency-to-15-year-old-clunkers/

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have bluetooth audio phone connectivity, hands free calling and OBD-II diagnostics on my 90s miata, while not being forced to carry electric windows, power steering and air conditioning. That article is a pro click. I'm also in the market for a used leaf but i've had too many smartphones that didnt hold a charge all day after a year or two to think its realistic. Will a 10 year old leaf be a viable daily driver? 20? 30?

i hope you know something i dont and its batteries are different somehow :ohdear:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I have bluetooth audio phone connectivity, hands free calling and OBD-II diagnostics on my 90s miata, while not being forced to carry electric windows, power steering and air conditioning. That article is a pro click. I'm also in the market for a used leaf but i've had too many smartphones that didnt hold a charge all day after a year or two to think its realistic. Will a 10 year old leaf be a viable daily driver? 20? 30?

i hope you know something i dont and its batteries are different somehow :ohdear:

I've had mine for 3.5 years, the battery is going to trip the warranty replacement in about a year when it hits 70% max capacity. Also, the Leaf has a regular car battery to power some of the accessories.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 4, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think the early Leafs (Leaves?) are a bit of a bad apple when it comes to battery longevity. I might be wrong about the details, but I think there is something about no active cooling or heating which causes the battery to lose capacity faster than later models and other brands. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the long run, hopefully the batteries can be recycled well. As battery prices drop, a full replacement for a "vintage" Leaf will hurt less but it will still be a big chunk of $. But I guess it compares well to buying an early 80s car today and having a shop do the piston rings, cylinder honing and gearbox overhaul.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ola posted:

But I guess it compares well to buying an early 80s car today and having a shop do the piston rings, cylinder honing and gearbox overhaul.

It would only be comparable if the 80s car needed all of that work to drive at all, and then the value of that car before the repair would reflect that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

It would only be comparable if the 80s car needed all of that work to drive at all, and then the value of that car before the repair would reflect that.

Not only that, the bulk of the cost with the 80s car is labor, for the battery replacement most of the cost is parts - so you can save a lot of money DIYing the 80s car, but only save a tiny bit DIYing the battery change. In both cases the cost will be several times higher than the purchase price before the repair and probably noticeably higher than the market value after the repair - which is often the case with old cars. I wonder if there will be a market for 3rd party reconditioned batteries. Take in a worn out pack, spend some sum in consumables and labor, get a fresh pack back for less than a brand new one.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Not only that, the bulk of the cost with the 80s car is labor, for the battery replacement most of the cost is parts - so you can save a lot of money DIYing the 80s car, but only save a tiny bit DIYing the battery change. In both cases the cost will be several times higher than the purchase price before the repair and probably noticeably higher than the market value after the repair - which is often the case with old cars. I wonder if there will be a market for 3rd party reconditioned batteries. Take in a worn out pack, spend some sum in consumables and labor, get a fresh pack back for less than a brand new one.

There's already a market for 3rd party reconditioned/new, higher capacity batteries for Priuses, so I'm sure that market will grow and mature for all EVs as time goes by.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

FWIW, my 2013 Leaf hit 30,000 miles on the original battery pack yesterday with no noticeable degradation. I nearly lost the whole car, though, because a black bear jumped in front of me at 29,999.6 miles while I was driving around staring at the odometer so I could get a 30k picture.

Now that I said that I'll probably lose two bars today.

Anyway, I fully expect the aftermarket to step in with cheaper batteries. With a degraded-battery Leaf, you absolutely do not need to replace the battery just to drive. It will drive perfectly fine, just not very far. You'd have to have a DEAD battery not to make it at least 20 miles on a charge.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

duz posted:

I've had mine for 3.5 years, the battery is going to trip the warranty replacement in about a year when it hits 70% max capacity. Also, the Leaf has a regular car battery to power some of the accessories.

So this brand new automobile can be expected to last no longer than 10-15 years with an acceptable range (When replacing the battery vs getting a new one out of warranty wont make financial sense) and this vehicle is supposed to be green? I still want one, dont get me wrong. But i hope im misunderstanding.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 24, 2015

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

So this brand new automobile can be expected to last no longer than 10-15 years with an acceptable range (When replacing the battery vs getting a new one out of warranty wont make financial sense) and this vehicle is supposed to be green? I still want one, dont get me wrong. But i hope im misunderstanding.

Highlighted the problem in your argument. You are assuming that a replacement 24 kWh battery pack still "won't make financial sense" in 2030.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Thats good. I just have it in my head that old car parts are expensive. I hope they dont use the smartphone business model. (The only constant use battery device frame of reference i have, really)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MattD1zzl3 posted:

You don't burn up the battery, you recycle it. That's what makes it green. Well, one thing.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

There is also a secondary market for batteries that still have, say, 10KWh reliably remaining. See the Tesla Powerwall.

It might not be useable in a car but starving kids in Africa would love to hook that up to a solar panel so they can have light at night.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I went back 4 to 5 pages and did not see anyone mention a Chevy Volt. My girlfriend has a 2012 or 2013 Volt Premium and I love it. I have never driven another EV. I do not want a pure EV because the range is too limiting, even at 200 miles. Once a month I have to drive 250 miles round trip for a business thing so that is 12x a year renting a car or taking my beater truck.

The dealership near me has a new 2014 Volt Premium for like 28,500 with $1,000 cash back. With that plus the tax credit I'm only in it for 20k before my trade in, which would probably be $6,500. So I could be in a brand new premium Volt for like $14,000 out of pocket, financed at 2.75% for 5 years or I could pay cash if I wanted. I was thinking about waiting to buy my next car, but I know I want something environmentally conscious and I can't imagine a better deal than this coming along. Plus I am familiar with the car and love it!

What is the difference between the '14 and '16 besides extended range and a bench seat that makes a material difference? I would rarely drive more than 35 miles a day per my driving habits now, and when I do break it it will be significant.

The lower level 2016 Volts will be like 33k basic and premium will be 37k so basically 10k more for the equivalent new one. The 14 miles more range + bench back seat are big differences, but considering I love everything about my girlfriend's Volt (except the rear bucket seats do suck) I can't imagine other differences rocking my world.

I'm having trouble justifying passing up a fully loaded Volt brand new at 20k before I have to even trade anything in or put down cash. I'm basically upgrading a 10 year old bad gas milage (but fun to drive) car to a brand new Volt for 14k!

What would you guys do? Wait for the 2016? Does anyone here drive a Volt? Can prices get even lower? I have trouble imagining anything better than a brand new fully loaded vehicle for 20k before I even pay a dime.

My daily driver is currently a 2005 Saab 92-x (WRX) if that matters. I also have a Ranger 4x4 which I will keep because I know the Volt can't go off the road.

edit

Oh I forgot, besides the bucket seats the blind spots on the current Volt are pretty crappy as well. I wish there was a 2016 model I could look at to see the difference in vision.

Also, I would like to state Chevy did an atrocious job of marketing this vehicle. I thought it would be some piece of crap that was slow and sucked on the inside but it is just an incredible machine. At one point I thought it only had a range of 35...I didn't even know it used gas! I cannot believe these are not more popular.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 31, 2015

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

I went back 4 to 5 pages and did not see anyone mention a Chevy Volt. My girlfriend has a 2012 or 2013 Volt Premium and I love it. I have never driven another EV. I do not want a pure EV because the range is too limiting, even at 200 miles. Once a month I have to drive 250 miles round trip for a business thing so that is 12x a year renting a car or taking my beater truck.

The dealership near me has a new 2014 Volt Premium for like 28,500 with $1,000 cash back. With that plus the tax credit I'm only in it for 20k before my trade in, which would probably be $6,500. So I could be in a brand new premium Volt for like $14,000 out of pocket, financed at 2.75% for 5 years or I could pay cash if I wanted. I was thinking about waiting to buy my next car, but I know I want something environmentally conscious and I can't imagine a better deal than this coming along. Plus I am familiar with the car and love it!

What is the difference between the '14 and '16 besides extended range and a bench seat that makes a material difference? I would rarely drive more than 35 miles a day per my driving habits now, and when I do break it it will be significant.

The lower level 2016 Volts will be like 33k basic and premium will be 37k so basically 10k more for the equivalent new one. The 14 miles more range + bench back seat are big differences, but considering I love everything about my girlfriend's Volt (except the rear bucket seats do suck) I can't imagine other differences rocking my world.

I'm having trouble justifying passing up a fully loaded Volt brand new at 20k before I have to even trade anything in or put down cash. I'm basically upgrading a 10 year old bad gas milage (but fun to drive) car to a brand new Volt for 14k!

What would you guys do? Wait for the 2016? Does anyone here drive a Volt? Can prices get even lower? I have trouble imagining anything better than a brand new fully loaded vehicle for 20k before I even pay a dime.

My daily driver is currently a 2005 Saab 92-x (WRX) if that matters. I also have a Ranger 4x4 which I will keep because I know the Volt can't go off the road.

edit

Oh I forgot, besides the bucket seats the blind spots on the current Volt are pretty crappy as well. I wish there was a 2016 model I could look at to see the difference in vision.

Also, I would like to state Chevy did an atrocious job of marketing this vehicle. I thought it would be some piece of crap that was slow and sucked on the inside but it is just an incredible machine. At one point I thought it only had a range of 35...I didn't even know it used gas! I cannot believe these are not more popular.

I am looking at getting a Volt, currently have a Leaf. It would be hard to argue that deal vs the 2016. I'm going to wait on the 2016 since it has some options that I want due to the cold winters, which is the heated steering wheel and all seats, like the Leaf. And I honestly don't think I could find that kind of deal without significant amounts of travel.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Just keep in mind the tax credit is something you get back when you file your income taxes, it's not taken off the purchase price.

I haven't driven the Volt but that sounds like an awesome deal.

I did go drive a 85D model S this week, which was really fun. Looking forward to driving the P90D with Ludicrous mode whenever my local shop gets one in...

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Phuzun posted:

And I honestly don't think I could find that kind of deal without significant amounts of travel.
Holy crap, in Indianapolis a non premium Volt is under 25k. It looks like there are several non premiums throughout the country under 28k and premiums under 30k. I searched AutoTrader for new 2014 Volts. edit - Holy shat, a premium in Indianapolis is under 25k. If that was here I'd be driving there right now! I'd be in a new loaded Volt after a trade in (or private sale) for under 200 a month payments! If the guy where I live will match that I will probably buy. Even better, I can possibly get $2,500 more off if I get the title address at my girlfriend's. A volt loyalty program or something.

The worst part about Volts is finding someone at the dealership who knows a drat thing about them. I called 3 and one has a "Volt Expert" who is going to call me back tomorrow.

Tyro posted:

Just keep in mind the tax credit is something you get back when you file your income taxes, it's not taken off the purchase price.
Yea I know, that isn't a problem. I am either going to just put $7,500 down and repay myself with the credit or wait until I get the credit and pay down the loan. I'll probably do the former to keep the payments low.

Also it says the $1,000 cash rebate expires today. I hope it doesn't disappear hah.

edit
I called the Indy dealership, if I can get this premium Volt with all the discounts including the Volt loyalty (which I can according to them, I just get it delivered to my GF's house) I'll be in it for only 14,000 or so shipped before selling my car, so maybe 8k max after. They are calling me back to confirm they can do all those discounts and can ship it to me.

That is just a ridiculous deal! I am going to try to look at the 2014s up the street tomorrow and see if they will match, and if they do I'll probably snap buy, otherwise I think I will order this.

Also Miami has new 2014s starting at 22k, 2015s starting at 24k (both non premium). These deals are insane once you factor in all the rebates. Using my GF's address, which I was told is OK, that is 11k after the rebates for a brand new 2014. I could justify 5k more for the 2016, but 12k is a much tougher sell.

I talked to a guy at a dealership in Miami and it there is confusion if the 2015 discounts apply to 2014 models. If so I could get a premium for 25k - 7.5k -1k bonus - 2k bonus cash* - 2.5k loyalty - 750 credit union so 11,250 for a 2014 premium. That is ridiculous. If all the same rebates apply to a 2014 base you'd be in it for about $8,250 once you get your tax rebate. That just doesn't seem possible. The fine print said these rebates expire 8/31/15 but it isn't like 2015 Volt demand will go up this month. Hopefully I have time to get to the Raleigh dealership today and see what they can do vs these out of state deals.

*not sure if there is really 1k bonus + 2k bonus cash

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 1, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Apparently I got too excited. The "internet prices" are their discounts, and if you want to use a bunch of rebates instead it goes off MSRP. At least that is what I was told. In addition, apparently most of those rebates expired yesterday.

I told the guy here that in Miami base Volts are straight up under 22k. He said the best he could do on a premium 14 is 27,500. I wasn't ready to do that but he knows he is in trouble, and even said so. Gas is 2 bucks, they got 10 old volts on the lot, and new ones hit in 6 weeks, and at a lower sticker price to boot! I wouldn't want to be the "Volt specialist" at a Chevy dealer this month hah.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Ribsauce posted:

Gas is 2 bucks, they got 10 old volts on the lot, and new ones hit in 6 weeks, and at a lower sticker price to boot! I wouldn't want to be the "Volt specialist" at a Chevy dealer this month hah.

drat, there is no way they are going to sell those with the new model coming out.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I hear Volts are pretty good cars but blech that interior. Thankfully the new one looks like it has real buttons again.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am going to be able to buy a brand new 2014 volt for $13,000 after tax credit aren't I? Anyway 20k miles driven and 5 months to go on my 3 year leaf lease and no bars lost yet. It is a 2012.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Details on the Model X released/leaked.
Something like $132k starting price. Yikes.

3.8s 0-60 unless you pay $10k for ludicrous mode and 3.2s.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/01/tesla-model-x-pricing-specs/

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ilkhan posted:

They're going to get down to the Volt's price range any day now. Yep, any day.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Elephanthead posted:

I am going to be able to buy a brand new 2014 volt for $13,000 after tax credit aren't I? Anyway 20k miles driven and 5 months to go on my 3 year leaf lease and no bars lost yet. It is a 2012.
If you were in Miami you could already bag a base for 14,000 after rebate (but before dealer fees).

Michael Scott posted:

drat, there is no way they are going to sell those with the new model coming out.
Yea they know it. Whatever deals they have now are going to double. I'm in no rush. Once I can hit 14k after rebate for one with a backup cam I'm buying. I know they don't want to take the hit, but every dealer around me has 10 or more on the lot and there is just no way they can sell them for even 70% of MSRP with the new ones coming out and gas so cheap. Hell, all you have to know is they still have some 2014s which means it has been there for two years already! Even if they drop the sticker to 25k I doubt they could sell all 10 before January. Well, maybe at that price because it would be under 20k after the rebate, which is a great price for a brand new car.

When I left the dealer he said 27.5k all in for the loaded 14, I wonder what it will be when he calls me to follow up next week.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That car will still be there in a month.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ilkhan posted:

The $132k base price is for "Signature" models, the first run units, which are all well-equipped 90Ds.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/639170376186990592

quote:

With same options, Model X is $5k more than an S due to greater size & body complexity. Sig Series is fully loaded, hence high price.

If they offer it with the same drivetrain choices as Model S that means $75k base for a 70kWh RWD.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

wolrah posted:

The $132k base price is for "Signature" models, the first run units, which are all well-equipped 90Ds.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/639170376186990592

If they offer it with the same drivetrain choices as Model S that means $75k base for a 70kWh RWD.
Ah. Well that makes sense.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

$75k puts it squarely into Suburban range. Obviously a nicely equipped Suburban vs a base X, but still a similar dollar number. I'm curious to see the first comparison somebody does between the two.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Neeever mind.

V Yeah I didn't realize it was the crossover at first.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 3, 2015

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Godholio posted:

Edit: Neeever mind.

People with 3 kids or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the Model X supposed to be more affordable? Like not cheap-cheap, but a level lower and more mass-market than the S. Still with the love of SUVs/Crossovers they'll probably sell a shitload of these judging by Porsche's sedan:suv ratio

• Locked thread