Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I'm glad the brave journalists of Al Jazeera, salaries paid in full by the Qatari royal family, are firmly calling Australia out for migrant abuse.

Me too

Alan BStard posted:

Where may I receive guidance on the Correct choices for the Labour ballot? I remember there being some links in the last thread buried somewhere.

I'm still undecided on Stella Creasy or Angela Eagle - if anyone has any good reasons not to vote for either of them, let's hear it!

I think it was Acaila who posted this link about National Policy Forum candidates, for what it's worth - haven't looked into it yet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I'm glad the brave journalists of Al Jazeera, salaries paid in full by the Qatari royal family, are firmly calling Australia out for migrant abuse.

This, but without the cack-handed irony.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

It's almost as if they're more likely to call the White Commonwealth out on their bullshit than the BBC are, and vice versa.
It's also almost as if they're utterly repugnant hypocrites.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's almost as if they're more likely to call the White Commonwealth out on their bullshit than the BBC are, and vice versa.

I don't think any crusading left wing journalist can be funded entirely by slave-owners and expect to maintain a lot of credibility. Possibly a controversial view in this strange thread but hell, I'm hanging my hat on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't really consider AJ English to be crusading or left wing, but if we're looking for large corporate or state funded media outlets that are going to call countries out on their bullshit then they're probably going to have bullshit of their own backing them. That's the importance of considering multiple sources. Otherwise we could just tu quoque ourselves into oblivion and never consider any news source bringing something important into greater awareness to be worthwhile in and of itself.

I'd already heard details about Australia's concentration camps through their RedFlag newspaper a while before it was on TV, I just found it interesting that it was on TV a couple days ago. If another news source wants to bring Qatari injustice to the forefront, that would be good too. (I'm pretty sure that the BBC did that during the World Cup bid, despite being the state newspiece of the British Establishment.)

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

I don't really consider AJ English to be crusading or left wing, but if we're looking for large corporate or state funded media outlets that are going to call countries out on their bullshit then they're probably going to have bullshit of their own backing them. That's the importance of considering multiple sources. Otherwise we could just tu quoque ourselves into oblivion and never consider any news source bringing something important into greater awareness to be worthwhile in and of itself.

I'd already heard details about Australia's concentration camps through their RedFlag newspaper a while before it was on TV, I just found it interesting that it was on TV a couple days ago. If another news source wants to bring Qatari injustice to the forefront, that would be good too. (I'm pretty sure that the BBC did that during the World Cup bid, despite being the state newspiece of the British Establishment.)
Jesus Christ.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

What they're saying isn't ridiculous.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

1.) It's really uncool to talk about fallacies all the time instead of just explaining why people are wrong in plain English.

2.) You've either misunderstood how that fallacy works or my argument.

I'm not using the Al Jazeera connection to dismiss the journalists' logic (Australia's migration policy is very bad), I'm using it to criticise their characters. Using 'personal attacks' is pretty much the only way to criticise someone's character and is in no way fallacious.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's worth noting that hypocrisy does not mean a statement is wrong; the black Kettle doesn't become white just because a black Pot shouts about the Kettle's blackness.

Australia can be guilty of immensely appalling treatment of immigrants and natives, and Qatar can at the very same time have what is essentially a slave caste of immigrants and untouchables with no workers rights. Neither become clean just because the other starts shining a light.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I'm not using the Al Jazeera connection to dismiss the journalists' logic (Australia's migration policy is very bad), I'm using it to criticise their characters. Using 'personal attacks' is pretty much the only way to criticise someone's character and is in no way fallacious.

Ah, I see. You were just going off on a weird tangent completely unrelated to the validity of Al Jazeera's reporting on this particular issue.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

lmaoboy1998 posted:

1.) It's really uncool to talk about fallacies all the time instead of just explaining why people are wrong in plain English.

I just thought it would be a quick phonepostin' way of pointing out that they're either correct and doing something worthwhile, or they're not. Ulterior motives and personal hypocrisy don't change that

See also: Tories bringing in gay marriage, an actual good thing those hellfuckers have done

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Chomskyan posted:

Ah, I see. You were just going off on a weird tangent completely unrelated to the validity of Al Jazeera's reporting on this particular issue.

I'm asking whether acquiring increased journalistic independence (from Western pressures specifically) excuses working for slave-traders and refusing to report on their crimes. Only baffling to the dim really.

A non-UK tangent but 1.) I don't care because I'm not autistic and 2.) We were talking about Australia and Qatar's a lot closer geographically.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If you want to say Qatar is terrible and Al Jazeera is also terrible by extension, then fine. But this

lmaoboy1998 posted:

and this

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I don't think any crusading left wing journalist can be funded entirely by slave-owners and expect to maintain a lot of credibility.

make it sound like you feel Australia is somehow being wronged here

e- also this is pretty drat UK-centric since Australia's system is constantly being held up as an example to follow by our politicians and government. So yeah it's pretty relevant and useful if people are aware what that actually entails

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Every person living is beholden and complicit in some manner to the global capitalist-imperialist system of murder, rape, slavery and exploitation. So I say, who are we to criticise anyone, guys? Aren't we just a bunch of hypocrites for taking a bunch of bosses' and landlords' money? The only ethical choice is to starve ourselves, clearly.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Doctors working in the camps have been told that they can't suggest that someone's health issues (depression, self-harm, etc) are linked to their detention.
As in, literally being told to re-write their reports.

The only thing Australia should be held up as being an example of, is how racism, naked capitalism and back-slapping good-old-boy shite can make a hellhole worse.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I don't think Australia is alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campsfield_House
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colnbrook_Immigration_Removal_Centre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Immigration_Removal_Centre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungavel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmondsworth_Immigration_Removal_Centre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haslar_Immigration_Removal_Centre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Lindholme
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Hall_Immigration_Removal_Centre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_The_Verne

And of course the most well known one, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarl's_Wood_Immigration_Removal_Centre

Remember that those used to be called detention centres before being rebranded as removal centres.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

lmaoboy1998 posted:

A non-UK tangent but 1.) I don't care because I'm not autistic and 2.) We were talking about Australia and Qatar's a lot closer geographically.

I suggest you stick with "I don't care" because "Human suffering is more important when it's physically closer" seems silly arbitrary. Why it almost sounds like "charity begins at home"!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TomViolence posted:

Every person living is beholden and complicit in some manner to the global capitalist-imperialist system of murder, rape, slavery and exploitation. So I say, who are we to criticise anyone, guys? Aren't we just a bunch of hypocrites for taking a bunch of bosses' and landlords' money? The only ethical choice is to starve ourselves, clearly.

This tbh.

Private Eye laying into Corbyn for giving £150/hr lectures to Capita - the pricks who do the Work Capability Assesments - today.

Also there's some wanker in my train carriage wearing an honest to god top hat. He's eating haribo.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Best Corbyn vid so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBDoaCu6INo

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

Also there's some wanker in my train carriage wearing an honest to god top hat. He's eating haribo.

Come over and say hello to me.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Oberleutnant posted:

Private Eye laying into Corbyn for giving £150/hr lectures to Capita - the pricks who do the Work Capability Assesments - today.

It's a pretty desparate angle, tbh. Gave lectures to the civil service on parliament which have been outsourced to Capita.

Also £150/hr is generous pay for lectures but perhaps only twice what your average university would pay.

OvineYeast fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 3, 2015

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

In today's 99p Kindle sale Amazon have Blair's memoir A Journey.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

This whole no-Syrian refugee thing is making me vomit so loving badly.

In Holland we're talking about somewhere between 2.000 and 8.000 refugees. It's nothing. Not a drop in an ocean of 17 million existing Dutch people. If it's 8.000, we're talking about roughly 20 people per city that we need to rescue and house.

Our PM, like yours, doesn't want to commit to dick-all because I don't know.

How the gently caress do these people sleep at night?

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

TomViolence posted:

I agree that there's a background level of complicity we all share, but our choices are all the more important for that. Do we deepen or lessen that complicity?

I see a large spectrum of morality between 'working in a kebab shop' and 'working on the American drone program by choice', but then I'm not a communist.

KKKlean Energy posted:

I suggest you stick with "I don't care" because "Human suffering is more important when it's physically closer" seems silly arbitrary. Why it almost sounds like "charity begins at home"!

It was more a justification for discussing a non-UK topic in the UK thread. I hate Australians as much as any well-educated human being should.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

How the gently caress do these people sleep at night?

On a feather-soft bed of votes.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It's seriously disgusting. Children are drowning at sea escaping from hells-on-Earth that we have contributed to on multiple levels and supposedly reasonable human beings look at it and say "Not my problem". It just makes me ashamed to be British.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I see a large spectrum of morality between 'working in a kebab shop' and 'working on the American drone program by choice', but then I'm not a communist.

:psyduck:

What does this even mean? What are you talking about?

You filled the EuroPol thread with this same sort of non-specific nonsense about the Left or Communism or however you want to call it - can you just clarify what you mean instead of just yelling COMMUNIST and then leaving us to decipher your prattle.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Come over and say hello to me.

On further investigation his hat might have been one of them Amish hats but I'm not certain. Can Amish use trains?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

On further investigation his hat might have been one of them Amish hats but I'm not certain. Can Amish use trains?

I've spent time amongst the Amish so i'm a bit of an expert and I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Can they eat Haribo?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

Can they eat Haribo?

it's a good question that deserves to be answered. Stop avoiding the question, pissflaps.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Amish can use trains but they have to pretend like they accidentally got on it and they dont understand how its moving

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Paul.Power posted:

Can they eat Haribo?

I don't think they typically would.

However young Amish people have a period in their lives when they'll 'go wild' and live in the big city and do whatever they like before coming home and committing to the Amish lifestyle - maybe this person was exploring the world of 'The English' by consuming a packet of jelly sweets?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I don't think you are as educated as you think. I hope you are just incredibly bad at expressing your, such as they are, thoughts.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Oberleutnant posted:

Sure he's not a Hassidic Jew

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

maybe this person was exploring the world of 'The English' by consuming a packet of jelly sweets?

Should've had Monster Munch then.

*the door to Crisp Chat creaks open*

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Junior G-man posted:

:psyduck:

What does this even mean? What are you talking about?

You filled the EuroPol thread with this same sort of non-specific nonsense about the Left or Communism or however you want to call it - can you just clarify what you mean instead of just yelling COMMUNIST and then leaving us to decipher your prattle.

I'm guessing the guy who wrote this

TomViolence posted:

Every person living is beholden and complicit in some manner to the global capitalist-imperialist system of murder, rape, slavery and exploitation.

isn't a passionate market capitalist.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Serotonin posted:

I don't think Oberleutnant could be so culturally unaware - and possibly racist - as to make a schoolboy error like this.

Junior G-man posted:

Should've had Monster Munch then.

*the door to Crisp Chat creaks open*

The Amish use 'The English' is a catch-all term for anyone not Amish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Serotonin posted:

I didn't notice a beard and iirc they don't shave, right? I know Amish have beards too but I think only once they get older. Anyway this guy was pretty young - I'd say mid 20s. It might have still have been a top hat, but it was somehow oddly proportioned and didn't have a consistent girth from base to tip (ladieess)

• Locked thread