Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

KataraniSword posted:

The entire continent (known fittingly as "the Mist Continent" though I don't know if that's come up in game) is covered in Mist, yeah. Certain cities like Alexandria and Lindblum (and even small villages like Dali) are positioned on plateaus above the deepest part of the Mist, but the place we're headed isn't too far above sea level, no.

Maybe it has something to do with the local weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pureauthor posted:

Er.... The city we're trying to get to is Mistbound too, isn't it

Ah, true. Burmecia is also within the Mist.

I guess the residents are just used to it somehow. You think they'd be more affected with their likely heightened senses in comparison to humans.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kheldarn posted:

Even though I've only just entered Lindblum in my playthrough, Memoria lists them as:

Freya: 100 HP, 32 MP
Quina: 75 HP, 32 MP

Quina's not internally replaced Cinna as of entering Lindblum.

This is from the LLG so you know they legit:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Did Quark escape Zero III's facility after all? Radical-6 really does a number on your skin.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Re: Yitan, IIRC that is his Spanish name, changed to avoid conflation with a footballer named Zidane. I think other European translations do it too.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Another possible reason for why there are so few Qus: they eventually find something really poisonous to eat. :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I know what the Qu are, but it involves extensive endgame spoilers, so remind me to post it in about 400ish updates.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Some frogs can change their gender, so maybe the Qu can as well. Quina could be in the middle of the process.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Life... finds a way.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Blackheart posted:

I remember, way back then, I used to read some spanish videogame Magazines which came here to south america (months late) and in the issue of Superjuegos that covered FFIX Zidan was named Yitan. Was that the official translation or just the reviewer renaming him?

Yes, his name is "Yitán" which, as the other poster said, is closer to the original version since it was translated from the japanese version and not from the english one.

Freya is "Freija" which is pronounced the same way but ignores the mythological origin of the name. Dagger is "Daga", the translation of the weapon's name, and certainly sounds more like a female name. The other main characters' names are the same.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of frogs, the frogs in the marsh are apparently strictly monogamous. Leaving one male and multiple females won't speed the repopulation up anymore than leaving one male and one female. Also they're effectively immortal, so it's actually better to eat the baby frogs and leave the adults.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know what the Qu are, but it involves extensive endgame spoilers, so remind me to post it in about 400ish updates.

Hey, be sure to post about the Qu in about 400 updates.

also I've never really been into blue magic in any FF - yeah yeah I know - so of course Quina hit the bench basically immediately when I played IX. That uh ... well, it wasn't the most ideal option in the long run, perhaps.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remind me in 400 updates to remember Doctor Tot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Remind me in 400 updates to remember Doctor Tot.
I already remembered him.

But I did forget Minister Artania.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I remembered Minister Artania even though he is pretty much never important again after his introductory scene.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dr. Tot is the most important unimportant dude in FFIX if you think about it.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Sorry, who were we talking about again?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

David Corbett posted:

Sorry, who were we talking about again?

Doctor Tate R. Tot, inventor of the Tater Tot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Shinjobi posted:

Nah, Dr. Tot is cool.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Shinjobi posted:

No I'm pretty sure there's about 2 or 3 characters who do far less with the same-ish amount of screentime.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

kalonZombie posted:

No I'm pretty sure there's about 2 or 3 characters who do far less with the same-ish amount of screentime.

He said most important unimportant dude, not most unimportant important dude. Of course the other characters do less with their screentime.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wish I could forget Dr. Tot.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Fister Roboto posted:

I wish I could forget Dr. Tot.

Same, except replace Dr. Tot with another character that has yet to play a part in this game.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Dr. Tot owns you nerds

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

zakharov posted:

Dr. Tot owns you nerds

Agreed, historians and scholars are much more valuable to have around in RPG worlds where every legend and myth is absolutely and unambiguously true.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Xenocides posted:

Agreed, historians and scholars are much more valuable to have around in RPG worlds where every legend and myth is absolutely and unambiguously true.

For that matter, except for Brave Fencer Musashi and Grandia II, have there ever been any RPGs where the legends and myths turned out to be wrong? Like completely, utterly, got everything completely the opposite of what the truth actually was, and it was mostly just made up because... well, just because.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Yeah, I was starting to wonder why no one can remember him, I always remember him just fine. Mostly because he's pretty cool for a supernerd type.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

SorataYuy posted:

For that matter, except for Brave Fencer Musashi and Grandia II, have there ever been any RPGs where the legends and myths turned out to be wrong? Like completely, utterly, got everything completely the opposite of what the truth actually was, and it was mostly just made up because... well, just because.
Technically any time the god of some local/world religion turned out to be the lingering remnants of some ancient precursor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SorataYuy posted:

Tales does it pretty often, actually. So often it's hard to think of one that doesn't have a similar twist.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Of all the weird memes an LP thread can produce, remembering Dr. Tot is one of the better ones IMO.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

remembering Dr. Tot

Who?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

SorataYuy posted:

FFT's Zodiac Brave Story?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

SorataYuy posted:

Now that I think of it, this was the big plot twist for Wild Arms 3.

Basically, everyone thinks that the world is one giant sandy wasteland because a war with demons thousands of years ago destroyed the forests and oceans and poo poo. Turns out the loss of nature only happened like TEN years ago, and not because of some war with demons (though that did actually happen too), but because of a failed scientific experiment that not only eliminated all the green and blue, but also wiped everyone's memories of actually living on a planet with nature other than sand and more sand.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SorataYuy posted:

It's a pretty common rpg trope, actually. It's not just one you came across personally for some reason.

But for an example, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn spends 1.75 games on "Dark God awakens, we dead" to "Oh, Dark God is just a silly god that's helpful to people. Actual death god is one everyone worships as savior."

And a sub-plot of that, animal people and people having a kid was considered a sin and the Dark God goes "What? Why would you say that? That doesn't make sense," and the victim just laughs out of despair for suffering thousands of years of torture for a lie.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I dunno if this counts, but in Chains of Promathia it's revealed that The Dark God Promathia, that legends say created the beastmen to plague the 'civilized' races created by the Goddess Altana, is actually the father of the 'good guys'. Humans/demihumans were created when Altana split his power up, so it could be sealed and therefore not a threat to her. Upon learning this, you then murder the gently caress out of a reborn Promathia, because his revival means that everyone dies anyway, so gently caress it. :unsmigghh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SorataYuy posted:

Xenogears did that.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

No, that's a bad English TV show. They're talking about Dr. Toot.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

SorataYuy posted:

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a myth that when someone asks a rhetorical question, the proper thing to do is to list every single example of an answer to their question.

that myth is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Of all the weird memes an LP thread can produce, remembering Dr. Tot is one of the better ones IMO.
I have a lot of powerful new memes planned for a future NPC, (name-less vague spoilers) the hunter lady with the axe who's bad at her job.

• Locked thread