Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Rarity posted:

It's been almost a year now, it is what it is :/

Weren't you talking about your job a little while ago?? what happened? Or is it so lovely you can't afford a sharehouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Trying to reason your way out of a panic attack is hilariously futile.

You know what's happening and why it's happening and you want it to stop but oh man now you're thinking about it and oh poo poo thinking about it makes it worse because you don't want to have a panic attack because they are awful, but now you're really worried you might have one, and your heart rate is going up oh poo poo does that mean it's starting how do I make my heart slow down HEART SLOW DOWN RIGHT NOW gently caress that didn't work ok it's getting worse all I can hear is my heartbeat and my vision is blurring, I think I'm going to die, I'm dying now, this is the moment I die.

And then you've crossed a point of no return and it's too late, you just have to ride it out. Distraction is a perfectly valid way to bring yourself out of that cycle before it gets too far.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
to me it feels trying to climb up a rope thats not attached to anything while falling

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A couple of times, I've given myself minor panic attacks because of no other reason than that I didn't want to have a panic attack.

Those ones are especially fun.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
BRAIN PROBLEMS

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

busb posted:

Weren't you talking about your job a little while ago?? what happened? Or is it so lovely you can't afford a sharehouse?

Oh I have a job. In fact I got promoted two months ago!

Of course, I still only make £15.5k a year, can only afford a rental budget of £400pm inc bills (oh and it must be close enough to work to walk in cause I can't afford travel fares) so it needs to be a flatshare so the people need to like me and I need to like the people and all this in a city with one of the highest population influxes in the UK so there's 10-20 people going for every advertised room.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

A couple of times, I've given myself minor panic attacks because of no other reason than that I didn't want to have a panic attack.

Those ones are especially fun.

lol yes. "man this would be the worst possible time to have a panic attack"

oh

oh no

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There was a period of about 6 months a few years ago where I'd hate going to sleep because lying down in a quiet space would let me hear and feel my heartbeat, and for whatever reason hearing my own heartbeat would freak me out which would cause it to go faster which would start the process of a panic attack I just described, so I ended up dreading going to bed, and then I'd dread getting ready to go to bed, then I'd dread being in the part of the day where I needed to think about maybe going to bed. It got to the point where every time the sun went down I'd start to completely freak out.

I ended up seeing a counselor to help me break out of that cycle cause it got so bad.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Rarity posted:

Oh I have a job. In fact I got promoted two months ago!

Of course, I still only make £15.5k a year, can only afford a rental budget of £400pm inc bills (oh and it must be close enough to work to walk in cause I can't afford travel fares) so it needs to be a flatshare so the people need to like me and I need to like the people and all this in a city with one of the highest population influxes in the UK so there's 10-20 people going for every advertised room.

What's the minimum wage in the UK??? that sounds awful and illegal to me, as a commie australian scumbag.

You should go live with highwire in Manchester he is a cool dude and i'm sure he would let you sleep in his bed while he flies around europe etc

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

busb posted:

What's the minimum wage in the UK??? that sounds awful and illegal to me, as a commie australian scumbag.

You should go live with highwire in Manchester he is a cool dude and i'm sure he would let you sleep in his bed while he flies around europe etc

The minimum wage is £6.53ph, I'm on £8.50ph (35 hrs a week) which is still below the UK living wage of £7.85ph x 40 hrs. It's all legal thanks to our wonderful Tory government.

I could never leave Bristol, this city has captured my heart.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
This is a personal question so feel free not to answer Rarity, but do you have an accent?

Accents are dying out in a lot of places here these days.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BottleKnight posted:

This is a personal question so feel free not to answer Rarity, but do you have an accent?

Accents are dying out in a lot of places here these days.

It's generic estuary English, vaguely posh but not really.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

It's generic estuary English, vaguely posh but not really.

Which one's the more standard english accent? The only variant I really know is Cockney.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
How is "do you have an accent?" A personal question? Everyone has an accent.

Yes, gently caress the conservatives everywhere. What is your job?

I am mad for you rarity, and hope you find an affordable permanent shared living arrangement soon~

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

busb posted:

I'm in charge of scheduling, attendance and caller payroll at the fundraising company where I used to be a caller.

BottleKnight posted:

Which one's the more standard english accent?

Mine's the one you'd most likely hear on TV, but besides Cockney there's also Scouse, Geordie, Essex, West Country, Cornish, Manc, Yorkshire, Brummie and the list goes on. We have a lot of accents.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

busb posted:

How is "do you have an accent?" A personal question? Everyone has an accent.

I am mad for you rarity, and hope you find an affordable permanent shared living arrangement soon~

I'd rather be too polite than impolite!

Also I like that people are willing to share stuff itt but there's a ton of stuff I wouldn't want to share so just some empathy.

And yeah, I am using a subjective definition of accent.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Ask me if I have an accent. I dare u

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Rarity posted:

I'm in charge of scheduling, attendance and caller payroll at the fundraising company where I used to be a caller.

Mine's the one you'd most likely hear on TV, but besides Cockney there's also Scouse, Geordie, Essex, West Country, Cornish, Manc, Yorkshire, Brummie and the list goes on. We have a lot of accents.

How can someone doing this be below the poverty line idgi fuckkkk

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can't even snarkily comment "USA! USA!". At least then I could pretend the rest of the world was a little better.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anxiety is like a dude is standing behind you asked you lovely questions all the time, and telling you how poo poo you are, and things like that, and sometimes he doesn't talk to you he does things to your body for no real reason like making your throat tight or making your arm have random throbbing pains

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

welp I decided to read some forums before going to bed to chill out so that I wouldn't have another insomniac/panic-filled night

good job me

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can't do silence for sleep either, I usually run a fan, or, in more dire situations, I use soft music (generally Nick Drake or Leonard Cohen) or this piece of software: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/dl/aire20setup.exe

It's actually really cool in that, in addition to the white noise sound loops it has (waterfall, empty vinyl groove, aquarium pump, rain, cicadas, etc.) it also can generate midi windchimes that sound quasi-randomly depending on what you set the virtual 'wind' to do, and pick the possible notes for the chimes from like two full octaves.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Allen Wren posted:

I can't do silence for sleep either, I usually run a fan, or, in more dire situations, I use soft music (generally Nick Drake or Leonard Cohen) or this piece of software: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/dl/aire20setup.exe

It's actually really cool in that, in addition to the white noise sound loops it has (waterfall, empty vinyl groove, aquarium pump, rain, cicadas, etc.) it also can generate midi windchimes that sound quasi-randomly depending on what you set the virtual 'wind' to do, and pick the possible notes for the chimes from like two full octaves.

There's a really good app called mynoise (which is annoyingly not available for android) that has a binaural beats setting that can put me to sleep in under two minutes.

I sleep with a fan every night, rainy mood if I'm restless, and the more ambient pieces from the Blade Runner soundtrack if my dude's having a bad night. Last night I laid in bed singing solfege exercises (do re do, do re mi re do, do re mi fa mi re do, do re mi fa sol fa mi re do and so on) and tried to figure out which note I naturally start the exercise on by playing a Zevon song that starts on A in my head and finding the relative pitch.

Apparently I naturally start on C but I was asleep very quickly after that so I haven't checked yet.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I like to sleep best listening to crickets. But I couldn't open my window last night because there was THE BIGGEST SPIDER IVE SEEN besides while camping in it. ewewewew.

I have a white noise machine.

I hate driving and now I have a like 2 hour round trip commute but this school is so much better aaa it's amazing I love it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

busb, presign me for the soldiers game if Keane is king. If it's someone else...bleh.

You should make the other king Lumpen.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Soldiers games are great. All of those themes in the poll were terrible - but so was Dune. Make me king

Rarity, pardon me if I'm confusing you with someone else, but didn't you used to dance for a living?

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I wanna be thread princess but I can only really play in summer, so :sparkles:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

yuming posted:

I wanna be thread princess but I can only really play in summer, so :sparkles:

You vs Keane would be really cool :kimchi:

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Yea yea next summer June 2016 woo!

My new job uses Outlook mail and I hate it so much.

We also have Gmail accounts, but forward it into Outlook. Perhaps I can reverse this somehow...

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 27, 2020

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Mafia thread today I am going to attempt to eat 51 eggs in an hour. If you don't hear from me that means I died.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
keane is there a video or livestream? also perhaps the eggs and the existential crisis were related? echos from the future.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CCKeane posted:

Mafia thread today I am going to attempt to eat 51 eggs in an hour. If you don't hear from me that means I died.

Hard boiled?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

keane is there a video or livestream? also perhaps the eggs and the existential crisis were related? echos from the future.

We might film some of it. Either my glorious success or my phenomenal failure.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Hard boiled?

Hard boiled.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Opopanax posted:

Hard boiled?

this but in reverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a1VY1vPfZk

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

yuming posted:

Yea yea next summer June 2016 woo!

My new job uses Outlook mail and I hate it so much.

We also have Gmail accounts, but forward it into Outlook. Perhaps I can reverse this somehow...

At the very least, you can use Outlook rules (File > Manage Rules and Alerts) to forward copies of your work email into a specified folder in your Gmail.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

EccoRaven posted:

keane is there a video or livestream? also perhaps the eggs and the eggsistential crisis were related? echos from the future.

You really left one on the table here here ecco.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't we do egg puns last year? We should throw them out, they're pretty rotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

If we can't swing a vote in 40 minutes on d1, then this really is the dark times of SA Mafia.

We did not swing the vote. It is the dark times. Someone help us figure out where the light is.