Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Smoothrich posted:

but.. Trump is a racist? Why is he hanging out with all those black people?

This is the hilarious thing, what were they thinking? "Let's attack Trump on his racism, also, let's attack him for associating with Al Sharpton."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
He's friends with everyone from the nineties

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Baloogan posted:

TRUMP

TRUMP

"I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and gently caress my daughter. Wait, Nevermind. Dibs."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

"I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and gently caress my daughter. Wait, Nevermind. Dibs."

:pusheen:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

VanSandman posted:

I'll vote for Hillary knowing that as a politician she's very good but as a PR person she's pretty loving terrible.
What I mean is: She's good at getting poo poo done, she's bad at convincing people to let her.

So do you support her policies, or just admire her skill to play the game? Because people keep saying this, and I don't know what glorious achievements they're referring to.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If Hillary wins the nomination I would support her because she's not a Republican, but I wouldn't be enthusiastic about it because she probably won't fight hard on a lot of crucial issues like Citizens United and Wall Street

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

JT Jag posted:

If Hillary wins the nomination I would support her because she's not a Republican, but I wouldn't be enthusiastic about it because she probably won't fight hard on a lot of crucial issues like Citizens United and Wall Street

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

God I'm proud to live in a country where being bilingual is considered a black mark on your very soul.

tbf the list of things that the Republican base doesn't consider to be black marks on your soul could fit on a grain of rice with room to spare. Given how many of them speak in tongues, you'd think they'd be more understanding.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

If only there was someone running in the primary who was running solely to try to drag those specific issues into the spotlight, forcing her to take a further left position on them which she would then be held to during her term.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Totalizator posted:

This is the hilarious thing, what were they thinking? "Let's attack Trump on his racism, also, let's attack him for associating with Al Sharpton."

"See? The blacks LOVE me!"

*Carson's support evaporates*

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

I highly doubt that Trump could successfully get on the ballot as an independent in most of the swing states. He'd have to start doing so last month.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Baloogan posted:

TRUMP

TRUMP

Trump was a draft dodger who got out because he had a "bone spur" (which he can't even remember which foot it was on).

Which makes this picture all the more hilarious.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Love Stole the Day posted:

Trump was a draft dodger who got out because he had a "bone spur" (which he can't even remember which foot it was on).

Which makes this picture all the more hilarious.

If he does legitimately have a bone spur, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't remember which foot. I have one in my neck. I have no idea how long it's been there; they found it when I got an x-ray after a concussion. There's not much you can do about it. If it starts causing serious problems I might one day have to have surgery, but most of the time it's just hanging out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Congratulations, Rand Paul, you are no longer the worst dressed man in the race! :pray:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

JT Jag posted:

Pretty Clinton opposes Citizens Untied if for no other reason than personal vendetta.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nanomashoes posted:

Bernie/Biden for 2016. Biden for eternal veep.

Then West/Biden 2020 if Bernie's ready to take a break

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Biden announcing his endorsement for Bernie on Colbert's show would be an awesome swerve

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

awesmoe posted:

If only there was someone running in the primary who was running solely to try to drag those specific issues into the spotlight, forcing her to take a further left position on them which she would then be held to during her term.

I'm not sure I understand this. Do you actually believe the politicians hold to the rhetoric they were "forced" to take during the primaries after they achieve office? Has this... happened?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kasich/Abercrombie 16

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not sure I understand this. Do you actually believe the politicians hold to the rhetoric they were "forced" to take during the primaries after they achieve office? Has this... happened?

Of course it did! Remember when Obama shut down Gitmo on Day 1?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 22, 2016

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
A Washington Post/ABC News poll here covered only Clinton, Biden, Bush, and Trump and only asked about favorability. No big surprises but some fun stuff.

quote:

Let's start with the bad news for Clinton. Fully, 53 percent have an unfavorable impression of her, the highest since April 2008 in Post-ABC surveys. That mark is eight percentage points higher than in July, though not as far from a Post-ABC poll in late May (49 percent). Intense views also run clearly against Clinton, with almost twice as many having a "strongly unfavorable" view of her (39 percent) as "strongly favorable" (21 percent).

Concerns about Clinton's falling popularity have fed uncertainty among Democrats about her electability, as well as speculation that Vice President Biden will challenge her for the Democratic nod. But the Post-ABC poll finds Biden's image before starting a campaign is far from stellar, at 46 percent favorable to 46 percent unfavorable.

What's more, among fellow Democrats, Clinton boasts a higher favorability rating of 80 percent to Biden's 70 percent. Both Biden and Clinton garner favorable ratings above 80 percent among liberal Democrats, but among moderate and conservative Democrats, Clinton's 3-to-1 positive ratio outstrips Biden's 2-to-1. Clinton is also more popular with Democrats than Donald Trump or Jeb Bush among their base; each candidate's favorable ratings among Republicans stand below 60 percent.

Basically, the base is split, whereas Clinton gets some more moderate/conservative love. But their numbers are pretty close overall.

And if you want to talk about minority voting, just goggle your eyes at these numbers:

Hilary is rapidly losing support among black voters (while still favorable to 79%), but has actually increased (slightly) her support among Hispanics (in no small part probably due to Trump's rhetoric). Meanwhile, Biden can't even crack 50 with Hispanics and Trump sits at 15%, which is actually an improvement from July, and in a period when Bush's numbers with Hispanic voters has declined! Trump is also rapidly losing what little support he has among black voters.

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 3, 2015

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Candidates seeking Iowa boost look to visit all 99 lovely counties in Iowa

The two takeaways: Santorum did it in 2012, and eked out a victory! And "some people think it's a goddamn waste of time"

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Radar Online is reporting a hacker is in possession of 32,000 of Hillary's emails and is selling them for $500K. They've provided sample subject lines.

Apparently when the emails were deleted, they failed to delete the ones in the Sent folder.

:haw:

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, shots fired in Trump's direction as Christie goes on Fox News with Martha MacCallum and signs a pledge not to run as an independent:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe copying those Kinnock speeches imprinted some Labour spirit on Joe Biden - take back the senate for Bernie!

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

GlyphGryph posted:

The Democratic party is a mess and Hillary is gonna run it into the ground if Obama's VP does not pick up the torch that is about to go out for good. A still youthful and proud Obama bromancing it on the campaign trail for Biden 2016 as they celebrate their 8 years of accomplishments together and what another 8 years could bring, with Obama's Chicago based urban policy think tank or w/e he is doing working in the private sector to think of solutions that an elder statesman like Biden who commands bipartisan support in Congress and appeals to voters of all races and tax brackets, and is considered a strong leader who puts America and our allies first on the world stage could realistically accomplish. Biden would probably staff his administration with much more progressive thinkers all around than Obama did too to get smarter and more effective policy, but still give lipservice to Republicans in order to get that policy passed which Obama has not done enough. Obama would probably be the first to admit that he used Biden in every crisis with Congress to get poo poo done, crises that Biden would probably never find himself in to begin with.

Obama's Institute could do a lot of good if he kept his public profile up and had people who respected him running the country and taking his advice, Obama is a great guy but wasn't the greatest President. Once he's out of office he will probably be more influential than when he was loving POTUS with soaring likability ratings and maybe getting poo poo done how he wants outside of the whole "US Constitution" and "other people" that got in his way at every turn. I imagine it'd be like the Clinton Initiative, but without all that international embezzlement and blatantly illegal coverups by a sitting Secretary of State deleting all the evidence and laughing in the face of federal judges who call her cronies out on it while Wal-Mart and Wall Street use that weak yet always willing cuckservative First Lady and Director of Walmart Hillary Clinton as their loyal gutless proxy to control the executive branch of government for 4 terrible years before a Republican much worse on every position than Donald Trump (every Republican) takes over.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Xenophon posted:

Clinton, Biden, Bush, and Trump

I really wish Biden would get on TV and announce his plans ASAP because I'm tired of seeing him in these polls. It's fun reading the what-if articles about a possible campaign but it really bothers me when he's randomly mixed into polls with people that are actually campaigning.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Radar Online is reporting a hacker is in possession of 32,000 of Hillary's emails and is selling them for $500K. They've provided sample subject lines.

Apparently when the emails were deleted, they failed to delete the ones in the Sent folder.

I was always confused by people (Hillary supporters I guess?) insisting that this whole e-mailgate was just one big astroturf controversy that would blow over. I can sort of understand thinking she shouldn't go to prison over it, but thinking the majority of American voters don't or shouldn't care about it? Just lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If I was President Biden I'd offer Bernie Sanders a cabinet position and Hillary Clinton a plea bargain.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Narciss posted:

I was always confused by people (Hillary supporters I guess?) insisting that this whole e-mailgate was just one big astroturf controversy that would blow over. I can sort of understand thinking she shouldn't go to prison over it, but thinking the majority of American voters don't or shouldn't care about it? Just lol

It isn't easily explainable in 30 seconds. Nobody outside of conservatives giddy that they probably caught a Clinton doing something technically illegal again cares

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

If this is in any way real, then :lol:

quote:

topics discussed in the email appear to include everything from Benghazi to the Algerian hostage crisis — with subject lines such as:

“H Libya security latest. Sid” (with attachment)
“H FYI, best analysis so far of hearing Sid,’ about the latest security
in Libya”
“H Algeria latest French Intel on Algeria hostage Sid”
“H Latest French Intel in Algeria hostage Sid” (with attachment)
“H Latest Libya intel internal govt discussions high level” (with
attachment)
“H HIGHLY IMPORTANT! Comprehensive Intel Report on (with attachment)”

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Good Citizen posted:

It isn't easily explainable in 30 seconds. Nobody outside of conservatives giddy that they probably caught a Clinton doing something technically illegal again cares

Seriously? I hope Trump's personal Border Guard Corps finds enough due cause to question your citizenship and deports you in the first wave with the other criminals

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boosted_C5 posted:

Just as lovely as Hillary Clinton and every GOP candidate not named Rand Paul.

It's a shame Rand is such a weird little troll. It's refreshing to have a GOPer who isn't a hawk and a GOPer who is willing to try to make connections and inroads with the black community.

Yeah, think you're going to have to go on a deeper dive here.

In his own words: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2015-08-04/restoring-america-s-strength

To summarize: it's a neo-conservative screed against Obama's weak-willed diplomacy. He promises to increase the US's involvement in a war against Isis, along with heightening the US's battle against Russia's invasion ofUkraine, fighting to push back China in the South China sea, and preparing for a strike against Iran (while hailing the benefits of the invasion of Iraq in 2003) to not only roll back its nuclear abilities, but also its political and strategic ambitions in the region. He rues the lack of funding for the military and emphasizes "American Strength" like its some sort of brand. In other words: he's not only toeing the neoconservative line, he's hollering it.

Any idea where he got his slogan "A New American Century"? Well, probably from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century. A refresher:

quote:

The Project for the New American Century (PNAC) was a neoconservative[1][2][3] think tank based in Washington, D.C. that focused on United States foreign policy. It was established as a non-profit educational organization in 1997, and founded by William Kristol and Robert Kagan.[4][5] The PNAC's stated goal was "to promote American global leadership".[6] The organization stated that "American leadership is good both for America and for the world," and sought to build support for "a Reaganite policy of military strength and moral clarity".[7]

Of the twenty-five people who signed the PNAC's founding statement of principles, ten went on to serve in the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush, including Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and Paul Wolfowitz.[8][9][10][11] Observers such as Irwin Stelzer and Dave Grondin have suggested that the PNAC played a key role in shaping the foreign policy of the Bush Administration, particularly in building support for the Iraq War.[

And

quote:

Kristol and Kagan advocated regime change in Iraq throughout the Iraq disarmament crisis.[22][23] Following perceived Iraqi unwillingness to co-operate with UN weapons inspections, core members of the PNAC including Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz, R. James Woolsey, Elliot Abrams, Donald Rumsfeld, Robert Zoellick, and John Bolton were among the signatories of an open letter initiated by the PNAC to President Bill Clinton calling for the removal of Saddam Hussein.[19][24] Portraying Saddam Hussein as a threat to the United States, its Middle East allies, and oil resources in the region, and emphasizing the potential danger of any Weapons of Mass Destruction under Iraq's control, the letter asserted that the United States could "no longer depend on our partners in the Gulf War to continue to uphold the sanctions or to punish Saddam when he blocks or evades UN inspections." Stating that American policy "cannot continue to be crippled by a misguided insistence on unanimity in the UN Security Council," the letter's signatories asserted that "the U.S. has the authority under existing UN resolutions to take the necessary steps, including military steps, to protect our vital interests in the Gulf."[25] Believing that UN sanctions against Iraq would be an ineffective means of disarming Iraq, PNAC members also wrote a letter to Republican members of the U.S. Congress Newt Gingrich and Trent Lott,[26] urging Congress to act, and supported the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998 (H.R.4655)[27][28] which President Clinton signed into law in October 1998.

At least two of the above, Robert Kagan and Elliot Abrams, are the architects behind Rubio's foreign policy plank: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/marco-rubio-neocon-advisers-bush-council-foreign-relations

So if you liked W's foreign policy decisions (until 2007 or so), then sure, buckle up on the Rubio train.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Also when people talk about "deleting email", are we talking emptying the trash folder, or using a third-party app to wipe the hard drive?

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

XK posted:

If this is in any way real, then :lol:

Sounds like the Whitey Tape to me.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

midnightclimax posted:

Also when people talk about "deleting email", are we talking emptying the trash folder, or using a third-party app to wipe the hard drive?

Hilary is basically your grandma trying to work Facebook when it comes to technology. So probably the first and then maybe the second when things started ramping up and she called her children in to fix it for her

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

railroad terror posted:

Almost certainly, but it would be a legendary happening for those who have a taste for schadenfreude.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Rand is on board with Christie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

railroad terror posted:

Reporters actually asked Obama about the whitey tape. That's how dumb they are.

Xenophon posted:

Rand is on board with Christie:

Is this the first time that the GOP is doing something that Trump is going to be forced to respond to? Seems like Trump has been directing and dictating the conversation so far.

Mitt Romney fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 3, 2015

• Locked thread