Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
In terms of paintings it's clearly a Pollock. A B-list Pollock. Bollocks, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
I tried out my 'free trial', created my awful looking character, and appeared in a world that looks decidedly worse than Project Gorgon (which, unlike this, is a good game, especially for what it is).

There was nothing that told me how to attack, use my spells or perform any function, including interacting with NPCs. I tried to find wolves to kill for my quest, got gibbed by skeleton archers and then quit, never to play again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oTHi posted:

I tried out my 'free trial', created my awful looking character, and appeared in a world that looks decidedly worse than Project Gorgon (which, unlike this, is a good game, especially for what it is).

There was nothing that told me how to attack, use my spells or perform any function, including interacting with NPCs. I tried to find wolves to kill for my quest, got gibbed by skeleton archers and then quit, never to play again.
From what I understand, dying like that might have destroyed an item you needed to complete the tutorial!

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just dumbfounded that they have the gall to charge a monthly fee for a 'game' that doesn't have even the most rudimentary UI hints. There are literally no redeeming features that I have seen or heard about. Amazing.

tamphex
Jun 21, 2003
It's like the devs just can't be hosed making even the slightest effort. A fool and his money, as they say.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015
Ryan Dancey and lead programmer Lee Hammock, both gone. Lisa Stevens (Paizo CEO) has taken over Goblin Works, shuts its offices and moved GW staff into Paizo Offices. Looking for Publisher to pick up project. Have next two patches + new content ready to roll out; have enough revenue to keep doors open for a while (if current subs continue).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bluddwolf posted:

Ryan Dancey and lead programmer Lee Hammock, both gone. Lisa Stevens (Paizo CEO) has taken over Goblin Works, shuts its offices and moved GW staff into Paizo Offices. Looking for Publisher to pick up project. Have next two patches + new content ready to roll out; have enough revenue to keep doors open for a while (if current subs continue).

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
No loving way. Source?

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
Yup. they laid off all but 3 employees. Looking for 1-2 million dollars from an investor or publisher to finish the game.

ROFL

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'll get the $5000 I spent for my customized in-game tavern back, right?

Right?

:ohdear:

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
No, but I will give you $1 to post that question on their forum

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Looks like Dancey finally figured out how to keep goons out of Pathfinder Online.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
You mean make a game so lovely that nobody plays. Sounds like a good plan!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Calidor posted:

You mean make a game so lovely that nobody plays. Sounds like a good plan!

Didn't work for Wildstar.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Here's the official announcement.

Goblinworks posted:

Due to the commitment that you have made to the game, your current subscriptions are able to keep the core team employed and the servers live. We will continue to move the game forward with that team and keep the servers live as long as the continued financial support from the community is there. But that means we need you, the Pathfinder Online Community, to continue to support us with your monthly subscription fees. They are very literally what is keeping the servers paid for, and keeping our core team employed, working on EE11, and talking with various potential partners about purchasing the game so they can finish it. If you wish to see the game through to its finish, we need you to support it financially for the next few months, and if you know people that want to support it, encourage them to subscribe now.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

whydirt posted:

Looks like Dancey finally figured out how to keep goons out of Pathfinder Online.

:thurman:

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Begging for people to continue subbing to literally keep it going is pretty bad. If you don't have the funds to continue development, and have essentially nothing to sell, maybe you should give up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

whydirt posted:

:pusheen:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

What MMO publisher would pay to finish PFO? Is Brad McQuaid shopping around or something?

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What MMO publisher would pay to finish redo PFO from scratch? Is Brad McQuaid shopping around or something?

FTFY

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What MMO publisher would pay to finish PFO? Is Brad McQuaid shopping around or something?

He's far too busy trying to keep his pain killer addiction Pantheon from dying.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Can't wait for the next chapter in Ryan Dancey's brilliant career.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's hard to pick whether my favorite part is them trying to make a D&D mmo out of an off-brand D&D that gained niche appeal with people mad D&D was becoming "too much like an MMO" or the just raving level of top-down goon-hate for a game even goons won't play.

Doesn't Goonwaffe/Goonfleet have like, thousands and thousands of active subs in EVE? You'd think now that they're in a surprisingly frank "please don't unsub or we'll starve" mode maybe they realize they shouldn't have saved themselves from all the money.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Otisburg posted:

Doesn't Goonwaffe/Goonfleet have like, thousands and thousands of active subs in EVE? You'd think now that they're in a surprisingly frank "please don't unsub or we'll starve" mode maybe they realize they shouldn't have saved themselves from all the money.

You nowadays have to pay the Mittani to organize a Goonfleet invasion. And everything I've read here points to PFO really not having any money.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Otisburg posted:

Wouldn't have worked, nobody wants to play their game in the first place.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zereth posted:

Wouldn't have worked, nobody wants to play their game in the first place.

Still, funny that they were all "Goons? The guys who represent probably at least a six figure monthly subscription fee block on their own and are the driving force behind the only regular player event so massive anyone who doesn't play EVE might be passingly familiar with? Bunch of filthy griefers, don't want 'em." :smaug: Gotta agree that making just an unplayable mess of a game was a great way to keep 'em away tho.

I actually asked Dancey in an RPG.NET thread about where, specifically the line would be between "legit PVP" and "griefing" given the fever dream they pitched sounded almost exactly like early circa 1999 Ultima Online in terms of PVP mechanics, and he made it clear that the line was completely arbitrary and subjective and would be brutally enforced, especially on suspected goons.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Otisburg posted:

I actually asked Dancey in an RPG.NET thread about where, specifically the line would be between "legit PVP" and "griefing" given the fever dream they pitched sounded almost exactly like early circa 1999 Ultima Online in terms of PVP mechanics, and he made it clear that the line was completely arbitrary and subjective and would be brutally enforced, especially on suspected goons.

Ryan Dancey leaned close to his monitor, his rage coloring his typing as he questioned the player on screen.

"Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Something Awful Forums?"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I have here in my hand a list of 205 shitposters…

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
So like 1% of the total

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

So what happens to the people who have actually bought $5,000 taverns?

It doesn't sound like they have the money to give refunds.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Well there were six at the 5000/tavern pledge level in the (second, main) kickstarter, so i'm going to imagine they're all that's left of the playbase.

A half-dozen innkeepers wiping down the bars of a ghost-town, waiting for the Last Call.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
They say they only need half the current player base paying each month to keep the servers live - I'm sure the sort of people who pay $5000 for imaginary taverns will be more than happy to keep paying to keep the game going!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/3769/

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
you can't even make fun of them, they'd take "Archchancellor Arthas Sephiroth, Exarch of the Goatman" in stride

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So some 'anticipated funding' fell through, leaving them 75 percent short of the money needed to get ready for open enrollment. I wonder if the Steve Jobs of MMO marketing sold his bosses a bill of goods saying 'no, we totally have interested investors, guys, this game's gonna be great.'

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress does open enrolment even mean. I can give them my email address, set a password, shell out 15 bucks and sift through this virtual trash pile with dozens of other vagrants already. Does open enrolment just mean it's okay to do that? Should I feel bad for the twenty minutes of my free trial that I played? was I stealing food right out of Danceys mouth by not waiting for the word go?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dancey spent Monday on a panel on successful crowdfunding:
http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/crowdfunding-options-which-model-is-right-for-you

Let us not forget that the second $1m goal Kickstarter was ridiculously bungled on a basic level--essentially conducted entirely backwards: they set the seven figure goal, and kept adding meaningless "stretch goals" between wherever they were and a million to try and limp it over the finish line, which it only collapsed over, wheezing, because of a suspicious last-minute singular 5-figure "donor."

If I'm not mistaken, most other 7-figure kickstarters in tabletop land tend to have a more modest goal that they blow away by adding actual stretch goals and stoking everyone's enthusiasm about upping and bringing more people on to an already-realized pledge "investment."

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I can't really sympathize with backers on this one. Even the initial Kickstarter pitch didn't look good, and their business model was poo poo. As someone looking from the outside, I just marveled at this like one does with a car crash on the freeway, I saw nothing but a trainwreck of management/design/execution.

Oh well, there's like 5-6 other sandbox games coming out that don't rely on brand recognition, so whatever survives will be worthy of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

Huran and I are both in, and solidified our decision to continue a third account as well.

quote:

I am in. Just signed up a fourth account 8)

quote:

I'm in with my 4 accounts, and I am interested in picking up a couple more DT accounts.

quote:

Actually given the risk things might change drastically (and turn into another boring cookie cutter MMO) if the game is sold off, I am actually MORE inclined to get a second account now just to get some extra playtime in and try some stuff out under the current setup just in case.

:psyboom: