Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lol ok I think this Subsistence mission might just be impossible. The only weapon you can find is an AK, and the enemy base has 5 guys with full riot gear + shotguns, 2 snipers, 4 guys with missile launchers, and a Hind. What the gently caress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

has anyone tried hiding in a toilet and playing that one toilet tape over the speaker when enemy soldiers pass by?

I've heard they won't check the toilet if you do that.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol ok I think this Subsistence mission might just be impossible. The only weapon you can find is an AK, and the enemy base has 5 guys with full riot gear + shotguns, 2 snipers, 4 guys with missile launchers, and a Hind. What the gently caress...

Try to remember the basics of CQC.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This is the best game of all time.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Dan Didio posted:

I've heard they won't check the toilet if you do that.

Try to remember the basics of CQC.

Yeah, CQC works if you can get up close, but you don't get the sneaking suit, so no silent footsteps. There are also snipers that will auto-target you if you do anything but crawl, and the approach is very open. It's a real pain in the rear end, especially since the shotgun knocks you down, and then a sniper instagibs you while you are getting up. I'll persevere, though!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Taking Quiet out with CQC feels extremely badass. I assume her escape from the chopper is unavoidable, right?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

net cafe scandal posted:

Taking Quiet out with CQC feels extremely badass. I assume her escape from the chopper is unavoidable, right?

Yeah. Does anyone know if it's possible to kill her after the fight? I'm not crazy enough to risk it, but I thought that you could wind up without Quiet.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That was soooo sick

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm protecting this beautiful woman with my life.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah. Does anyone know if it's possible to kill her after the fight? I'm not crazy enough to risk it, but I thought that you could wind up without Quiet.

after the fight where shes laying all the ground and snake points his gun at her and kaz and ocelot are taking turns telling him what to do, if you hit r2 he will put one right between her eyes

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

That was soooo sick

those words have come out of my mouth as least 15 times during the last few hours of play. feels like im playing a piece of histroy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
dd wont stay for more than like 20 seconds when i tell him too ;_;

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If Miller asks you to say "Kept you waiting" in his mission hit Y or Triangle and you will :3:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Shoehead posted:

If Miller asks you to say "Kept you waiting" in his mission hit Y or Triangle and you will :3:

gently caress

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Shoehead posted:

drat it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

dd wont stay for more than like 20 seconds when i tell him too ;_;

does he stay for longer if u raise your bond lvl with him? probably, right?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wonder which Quiet I'll end up more attached to ... the frosty, never-gonna-get-it low companion level Quiet, or the warm, motherly high companion level Quiet.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Shoehead posted:

fuuuuck

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Soral posted:

no, youre right, its just lame that they can cut you off from that objective permenantly if you wiggle around too much.... the ones on the bridge get seperated really easily

i havent tried to avoid being seen by them in that mission yet but u can probably toss a magazine.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It looks like after 10 or so missions, the GMP rewards for missions start returning to their full value, rather than the 50% payout that happens right after you beat it. It's a nice incentive to go back and try something new, and to keep you progressing through the game instead of retrying the same mission over and over to get everything before moving on. Time to put my enhanced skills and equipment to work rescuing Miller. If I know where he is, I don't need the intel, right? I can just bee-line to his location without a problem?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

It looks like after 10 or so missions, the GMP rewards for missions start returning to their full value, rather than the 50% payout that happens right after you beat it. It's a nice incentive to go back and try something new, and to keep you progressing through the game instead of retrying the same mission over and over to get everything before moving on. Time to put my enhanced skills and equipment to work rescuing Miller. If I know where he is, I don't need the intel, right? I can just bee-line to his location without a problem?

Ya.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

sweating while squeezing the last turd out of d-horse while the troop truck is 60m away down the road

I'm still laughing at this.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shoehead posted:

what the gently caress!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I saw how people did Quiet by dropping a supply box on her head, so I tried dropping a tank on her. She moved

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Shoehead posted:

I saw how people did Quiet by dropping a supply box on her head, so I tried dropping a tank on her. She moved

You imbecile.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shoehead posted:

it's a good thing I bought this game twice

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Just done mission 12 and calling it now (big ending speculation) that your not actually big boss, you are actually a body double implanted with false memories which explains the medical scene. You are one of the soldiers in the plane crash made and the real big boss is either dead or ishamel and has gone into hiding. its probably kojima just loving with expectations though, looking forward to more crazy poo poo

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its a lot easier to s rank missions compared to GZ ... what if there was a s rank + all side objectives at once bonus too thoug h.... replay heaven..

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

I have to write down my excitement somewhere.

I'm three days of long gaming session into this game and still it doesn't start to wear off in any way. Just now I did the first Africa mission, with my very first perfect S-stealth through no less. Getting better and understanding the mechanics more and more feels so satisfying.
Just before I did the tank hunting mission, because I skipped around a bit in mission select. It felt so great hunting down one MECHA after the other, perfectly sniping out the truck / jeep drivers, planting C4 traps on the bridge, all the while getting celebrated by Miller over the radio. I thought I'd S-rank that one for sure and then I see I didn't even manage to bomb half the targets or complete half of the objectives?

Jesus, there's so much to do, so much replayability and it feels like it will never get old. And don't get me started on the incredibly cutscenes or soundtrack or choics of mixtape music or... man I can't remember a game ever blowing me away like that. The same hype up to release? Sure. But actually fulfilling all the expectations? No way. And there's still more to see according to this thread - going to dive in again, can't wait to see where this ride will take me next.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i have a feeling that the games just getting started if youre still under 20% like me .. im still at 13%...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

i have a feeling that the games just getting started if youre still under 20% like me .. im still at 13%...
i'm at 25% and its still unlocking new systems

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

i'm at 25% and its still unlocking new systems

This but 30%. Game is crazy. Mad Max, Fallout, and new Deus Ex will look like poo poo in comparison.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i woke up early so i could do mission five before heading to work. got my first A rank since the prologue mission and felt pretty good about it. this makes every other open world game i've ever played, even new vegas, seem like a d-horse turd in comparison.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I might get it in a few months when it's $20, unless this thread convinces me to drop $60+ on it before then (balls in your court, thread). Gonna get FO 4 at launch anyway.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

This but 30%. Game is crazy. Mad Max, Fallout, and new Deus Ex will look like poo poo in comparison.

I'm at 40 percent and I only just got the FOB stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

why can't I paint my guns pink

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

lmao, within like ten minutes of having met each other [Mission 23 Spoilers] Liquid's set Big Boss on fire multiple times and tried to machete him to death and Big Boss has broken and re-set his arm no wonder they hated each other

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
gently caress having a job that requires me to be away from my computer for 12+ hours.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Darkman Fanpage posted:

gently caress having a job that requires me to be away from my computer for 12+ hours.

same

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

why can't I paint my guns pink

you have to do a series of side ops. now i have a lime green gun, and a fuchsia gun

if you wanna know theyre called Extract the Legendary Gunsmith unlocked some time around mission 10-15

HolePisser1982 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

you have to do a series of side ops. now i have a lime green gun, and a fuchsia gun

if you wanna know theyre called Extract the Legendary Gunsmith unlocked some time around mission 10-15

you better not be messing with me

• Locked thread