Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

Didn't one of those articles have some You make the Card thing where somebody made a 2/2 for R with some drawback and the person was like "my god that's too good, we would never print that."
I think it was a 2/1 goblin with "can't block", yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I thought that was an article explaining why they thought Rakdos Cackler is now a card they can get away with printing.

I'm going to call it that every time I announce casting it in Legacy from now on.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

It is funny, when people talk about how conservative R&D are currently this should be the response. They are that way for a good reason, they're honestly kind of poo poo at evaluating things, so they err on the side of caution.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Like all magic players, Wizards R&D has no concept of card evaluation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

It is funny, when people talk about how conservative R&D are currently this should be the response. They are that way for a good reason, they're honestly kind of poo poo at evaluating things, so they err on the side of caution.

I would rather see 2 dozen of these mistakes before one Archangel's Light

E: they're mistakes but all of them are cool, interesting cards and a lot of them challenged someone to think creatively as to how to use them to the fullest possible extent.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 3, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Specifically, like, right when Shadowmoor was being made, in which Tattermunge Maniac was printed as a 1-CMC 2/1 goblin with "can't block".

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lets Pickle posted:

Not really though because against a deck with a lot of Delve spells processing exiled cards is the equivalent of giving them mana.

I'd buy that based on the way the only Processor we've seen works (although you're guaranteed to also get mana on cast), but it really depends how many cards like Oblivion Sower there are.

jassi007 posted:

They're putting out 4 sets a year and the testing period occurs while the cards change based on their feedback. I can see exactly why they gently caress it up sometimes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Specifically, like, right when Shadowmoor was being made, in which Tattermunge Maniac was printed as a 1-CMC 2/1 goblin with "can't block".
To be fair that's Must Attack Each Turn If Able, which can be more severe.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Lets Pickle posted:

I guess if you enjoy a challenge play the Zendikar deck, it's a goddamn uphill battle. The decks have a lot of good back-and-forth gameplay, but the Eldrazi deck is definitely more powerful to the point that it seems intentional. Maybe that's to make it more flavorful, or to imply that Zendikar is totally hosed, storywise?

Yeah, I played a few more matches and you're 100% right. Here is a visual aid. Left to right: Zendikar quasi-removal, straight up removal, Eldrazi straight up removal, quasi-removal.

Fig 1.1
Relative removal in Zendikar vs Eldrazi duel decks
(Vampire Nighthawk included for scale)

Notice how Artisan of Kozilek and Cadaver Imp (not pictured) effectively cancel out the Sheer Drops :eng101:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
A guy at my LGS showed me a "proxy" he got of a dual land, and I've seen some lovely proxies people have used in cubes that didn't look close at all, but this looked and felt just like a real card in anything but the brightest light with another revised land next to it for comparison. I would be loving scared to ever even consider buying a dual at this point.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

I would be loving scared to ever even consider buying a dual at this point.

Good burn the reserved list down

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
purchase counterfeits, the sooner wotc dies the better

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm going to a legacy tournament with my white lotus it's like black lotus but it comes into play tapped so

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

black potus posted:

:agreed: then we can all play good euro games.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
lol @ good euro games :cawg:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

black potus posted:

I can't give them money for Tropical Islands anyway so, uh.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You're right, they're all good, so it's extraneous.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm skeptical this is real because why would this spoiler guy just randomly release stuff really slowly like this - e.g. he could have spoiled the entire Scion mechanic early if he had.

Lots of early spoilers every season go like this: A random person no one's ever heard of shows up on the MTGSalvation forums, and posts something like, "I saw X card, here's what I remember." For instance, here's what someone posted about Gideon:

quote:

Gideon is as follows

2WW
4 loyalty
+1 Gideon becomes 5/5 indestructible ally soldier creature until end of turn, reduce all damage done to him to 0. He is still a planeswalker.
0 or -1 can't remember- Put a 1/1 ally (knight?) into play
-4 you get an emblem, Creatures you control get +1/+1

There will always be details they can't quite remember. Later on they might come back and edit their post and correct or add details. Obviously people will cry fake, at least I assume that's still what happens, I don't read the MTGSalvation forums anymore because I enjoy my hobby. Then, days later, the official card will be spoiled. So that guy will keep posting random details of cards. So someone every spoiler season, possibly the same person, is somehow seeing cards from the upcoming set but isn't in a position to actually get a picture of them or write down precise details as they see them. The same person(s) like to slow roll their spoilers, possibly for Internet Points (tm) or because they're constantly getting more chances to peek at the cards. They don't spoil large amounts of the set for... reasons. They don't have access to it, or they're afraid of WotC's legal wrath if they do that. I think it might be someone who works with promotional material at a printed WotC hires or something.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Wizards has gone after unofficial leaks pretty hard in the past right? I remember a mtgsalvation dude getting in some serious trouble with them a while back.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The cards are printed in America. Its not unfathomable that security at a print shop would be a bit loose and that there are 100's of people there with the potential of seeing a few cards.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
If that card's real, I'm going to abuse the combo so badly that the Catholic Church will relocate me to a different parish.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Booyah- posted:

Wizards has gone after unofficial leaks pretty hard in the past right? I remember a mtgsalvation dude getting in some serious trouble with them a while back.

A store in my area spoiled the hidden treasures from original Zendikar on Salvation. They posted their store's name with the spoiler, after opening all of their Prerelease prize support. They didn't get to have a Worldwake Prerelease as punishment.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Booyah- posted:

I think you're talking aboout Rancored Elf, who (kind of) spoiled the timeshifted sheet in Time Spiral by posting some in-design cards, one of which was Daru Sanctifier. It was such a big clusterfuck that MaRo himself did a column on it. That was also nine years ago, and of cards in the stickers-on-old-cards stage of development. People spoiling cards that're already printed and about to be purchasable don't get anywhere near the same amount of heat, if any.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

As i recall the entire spoiler for New Phyrexia was spoiled in one shot a few weeks early (somebody got the book that comes in the fatpack) and there was a lot of fallout from it, someone got sued or something. I don't think WotC cares about some guy on the internet semi-leaking a few mythics a little early, but having the whole set spoiled is NOT okay by them and usually leads to legal action.

here we go, from Wikipedia:

"The set was spoiled in its entirety on April 19, 2011, before the spoiler season on magicthegathering.com began. This was the result of the "Godbook", which contains all cards of an upcoming set, being leaked. Godbooks are sent to magazines for review purposes before the release of sets. In this case, the godbook was sent to Lotus Noir, which passed it on to pro player Guillame Matignon for reviews. Matignon was the World Champion at the time. Matignon in turn shared it with Guillame Wafo-Tapa and two other players in his group, one of which leaked it on the internet. [16] Consequently, all four players involved were suspended by the DCI for a year and a half."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A fun hobby: taking advantage of new tcgplayer sellers who have to price 2.99 shipping

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lets Pickle posted:

As i recall the entire spoiler for New Phyrexia was spoiled in one shot a few weeks early (somebody got the book that comes in the fatpack) and there was a lot of fallout from it, someone got sued or something. I don't think WotC cares about some guy on the internet semi-leaking a few mythics a little early, but having the whole set spoiled is NOT okay by them and usually leads to legal action.

here we go, from Wikipedia:

"The set was spoiled in its entirety on April 19, 2011, before the spoiler season on magicthegathering.com began. This was the result of the "Godbook", which contains all cards of an upcoming set, being leaked. Godbooks are sent to magazines for review purposes before the release of sets. In this case, the godbook was sent to Lotus Noir, which passed it on to pro player Guillame Matignon for reviews. Matignon was the World Champion at the time. Matignon in turn shared it with Guillame Wafo-Tapa and two other players in his group, one of which leaked it on the internet. [16] Consequently, all four players involved were suspended by the DCI for a year and a half."

Yep, that whole incident was discussed in a million articles last year when pros were debating whether or not to vote Wafo-Tapa into the Hall of Fame. Basically there was a big discussion about why certain suspensions aren't as bad as others (as in: why certain pros were willing to vote in Wafo-Tapa but never vote for Saito).

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Mr. Jive posted:

Yeah, I played a few more matches and you're 100% right. Here is a visual aid. Left to right: Zendikar quasi-removal, straight up removal, Eldrazi straight up removal, quasi-removal.

Fig 1.1
Relative removal in Zendikar vs Eldrazi duel decks
(Vampire Nighthawk included for scale)

Notice how Artisan of Kozilek and Cadaver Imp (not pictured) effectively cancel out the Sheer Drops :eng101:

There also Oust :v:

They really should have put one Path to Exile in The Zendikar deck, it synergizes with Landfall and gives the G/W deck something to actually answer an Eldrazi.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lets Pickle posted:

There also Oust :v:

They really should have put one Path to Exile in The Zendikar deck, it synergizes with Landfall and gives the G/W deck something to actually answer an Eldrazi.

Journey to Nowhere is the Zendikar white removal if you care about flavor.

deftest
May 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/noahbradley

deftest fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 3, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My LGS owner thinks that the prices for the full art foil lands will end up like this:

Blue Fetches: 200-225
NonBlue Fetches: 150-175
Blue Shocks: 125
NonBlue Shocks: 75-100
New Typed Taplands: 60

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

loving that godless shrine.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mcmagic posted:

My LGS owner thinks that the prices for the full art foil lands will end up like this:

Blue Fetches: 200-225
NonBlue Fetches: 150-175
Blue Shocks: 125
NonBlue Shocks: 75-100
New Typed Taplands: 60

Think he's wrong about fetches and shocks.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Think he's wrong about fetches and shocks.

in which direction?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This is what love feels like.

They keep using "Expedition" in connection with the lands, what's that about? Just the term for the random insert?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm really digging the hand on the left that looks like it's holding the hedron.

deftest
May 7, 2011
Seems like it's meant to be this guy. Is this one of the original titans?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is what love feels like.

They keep using "Expedition" in connection with the lands, what's that about? Just the term for the random insert?

Yes, it's the name of the set of cards in this block (not just this expansion). They don't count as part of the regular set.

The random inserts in Zendikar were called "Hidden Treasures."

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I think he's wrong about the taplands because I don't think they have any place in Modern or Legacy so super mega rare foils aren't going to actually have that much value. I'm not a magic finance wizard, but it just seems that rares and mythics don't really have high foil prices unless they see play in one of the non-rotating formats. I think they'll be in the $30 to $40 dollar range, due to the fact that they are still very rare and they will definitely see standard play.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

deftest posted:

Seems like it's meant to be this guy. Is this one of the original titans?

That's Artisan of Kozilek, the 9-drop uncommon. The three Eldrazi lineages are supposed to have their own distinct looks, and that Godless Shrine is definitelly pretty Kozileky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How many of those special lands are there going to be?

• Locked thread