Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Maaaaan, Nobunaga is taking so long to unlock on Steam. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Mokinokaro posted:

Ultimate doubles the length of the game, iirc.

Excellent... is there an English language version for ps3 do you know, or is it only Japanese. I don't own a ps4 unfortunately.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/638751527818031104

Oh. That's unfortunate.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Nobunaga's Ambition is on Steam now. Dunno why Koei tweeted that. It unlocked at the standard 10am Pacific daily rollover.

$49.79 (-$10 off)plus three free DLC scenarios for the first week of release. 6.1gb download.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 1, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manic X posted:

Excellent... is there an English language version for ps3 do you know, or is it only Japanese. I don't own a ps4 unfortunately.

The text is english, but the voice acting is japanese. Its not that bad, I don't mind it :shrug:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

grrarg posted:

Nobunaga's Ambition is on Steam now. Dunno why Koei tweeted that. It unlocked at the standard 10am Pacific daily rollover.

$49.79 (-$10 off)plus three free DLC scenarios for the first week of release. 6.1gb download.

They tweeted it because they said it was coming out at 9am Pacific and two people complained about it on twitter and also I was disappointed privately.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not that the japanese is bad, it's that it's hard to play when the background noise is usually something that helps you do missions better because you're not reading while also doing sick combos.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Just looking on Amazon, and there is Warriors Orochi 3 for sale with English text, but all of the Ultimate Editions have the japanese title on the front as well as japanese language only in brackets. Unless perhaps you can change the language in the settings.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Koei's only releasing the Vita/PS3 versions as downloads these days.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Despite the story mode of One Piece 3 apparently covering everything up til current arc, it feels very...scattered. Definitely more of a incoherent moment fest than a coherent summary, mostly because the way they make stages is weird. Alabasta arc is one stage, but stealing Franky's underwear is its own stage.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Stealing Franky's underwear is a lot of things including Usopp's apology and Garp as well. Also I kept failing that stage because Aokiji kept wreaking my poo poo.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Just made a custom clan and characters and started off on a tiny-rear end island on Extreme difficulty.

It went about as poorly as you would expect.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Nnh... I like most koei games, but I'm unsure on Nobunaga's ambition. I'm one of those weirdos that enjoyed ROTK X a lot but was severely disappointed and bored by ROTK XI I get the feeling it's going to be much of the latter again.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
After extensive cross-referencing of various online sources, I have managed to determine that there are a total of 32 DLC costumes for Pirate Warriors 3 (10 new, 10 from PW1, 12 from PW2), two of them exclusive to the preorder/collector's editions of the game in NA (four in EU). If you want all of them, grab this key if you're on PSN in the EU regions: https://www.bandainamcoent.eu/vipcorner/get/slug/one-piece-pirate-warriors-3-fan-gift-pack-ps3-ps4-ps-vita or this one if you're using Steam: https://www.bandainamcoent.eu/vipcorner/get/slug/one-piece-pirate-warriors-3-fan-gift-pack-steam

The rest come with the season pass.

its done, thank christ, ive got all of the costumeses. i never have to think about pirate booty dlc ever again. im finally free

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I just lost 6 hours to Nobunaga's Ambition. Like I sat down, and suddenly it's 3AM.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pirate Warriors 3 is a fun game except for having to do Enies Lobby with almost every goddamn straw hat to unlock everyone's second musou/super modes or whatever

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
What's the difference between Nami's default and her W7 costume? I just unlocked it and I'm switching back and forth scratching my head trying to find a visible difference.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's a moveset thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, I think costumes is just cosmetic. The only difference is her default pink which has pre-time skip movesets. Same as the others.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PureRok posted:

What's the difference between Nami's default and her W7 costume? I just unlocked it and I'm switching back and forth scratching my head trying to find a visible difference.

She has the Perfect Clima-Tact instead of the original

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Nnh... I like most koei games, but I'm unsure on Nobunaga's ambition. I'm one of those weirdos that enjoyed ROTK X a lot but was severely disappointed and bored by ROTK XI I get the feeling it's going to be much of the latter again.

I'm exactly the same way! I've played countless hours of ROTK X, I know exactly how that game works I love everything about it. I was so excited for ROTK 11 and then crushed when I realized much of what I loved about X had been stripped out and replaced with nonsense. Unfortunately the few videos I've seen of the new Nobunaga game are kind of giving me a ROTK11 vibe.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Brook is fun as gently caress but I have no idea what I'm doing. Sometimes he has shadows behind him that increase his attack rate and some times he doesn't? He has some kind of parry mechanic but I can't figure out how to work it at all? I'm just hitting buttons and everything is exploding

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Have they announced an English release of the new ROTK? I'm worried that if Nobunaga's Ambition doesn't sell well in the West (and I don't see how it would when MGS5 is out), we won't get ROTK localized.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'll probably eventually drop on Pirate Warriors 3, if for no other reason than to let my kid play it. He's somewhere around the late 200s of watching One Piece on Funimation. I dread whatever repetitive bubblegum j-pop must be packed into the Warriors game, because I can't get 'twinker twinker lainbow stah' out of my head sometimes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's no J-pop, it's standard DW butt rock outside of like a few iconic One Piece melodies.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's got some sweet tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F6dyu-CcIQ

I especially like the song that's from a previous game but with higher tempo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beating off thousands of dudes to anything but butt rock would just seem wrong.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wafflz posted:

Beating off thousands of dudes to anything but butt rock would just seem wrong.

Whoa. Nice.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

There's no J-pop, it's standard DW butt rock outside of like a few iconic One Piece melodies.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the soundtrack. I'm not hearing a lot of butt rock except when the bosses show up, which tends to be the butt rock version of the stage theme.

Co-op with your kid, some of the stages are intimidatingly hectic :v:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I finally got time to dig into Nobunaga's Ambition tonight, and next thing I knew it was almost 2am. The "one more turn" factor is strong. I have not played a RoTK/NA game since the PS2 days. I am enjoying that the turn-based strategic stuff is like a simplified version of Paradox's Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings, and the tactical battles are like a simplified and streamlined version of Total War combat.

Glad Koei had the Steam deal. I imagine the UI is a pain on the PS4, unless they let you use the touchpad to emulate a mouse.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Finally got around to uploading that video of my friend and me fumbling around with create-a-clan and create-an-officer in Nobunaga's Ambition. It's not great, but...

Here it is.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Your voice should be as loud as the drums in your intro brah, balance your audio

Quick question about One Piece Musou, what does the game consider to be a "hero power?" Is it just your regular special attack? It couldn't be Kizuna because I've used that probably like a thousand times by now because bursting Lu Bu-power level enemies down in under a minute is great :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
getting an ally's kizuna meter to max triggers that character's hero power, I believe

it's stuff like usopp or nami bombing the battlefield

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hero power is your crew member's special, so like example is you charge Sanji to max, he makes food and heals everyone for a while.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Hero power is the name of the buff they get at specific moments in the mission, usually tied to the plot. It makes them stronger as an NPC and you gain 3 times as much kizuna.

If you overcharge kizuna with them while they are in hero mode they'll do attacks that affect the entire battlefield.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Your voice should be as loud as the drums in your intro brah, balance your audio

Oh wow. I'm not sure how I missed it in that video. Sorry. I'm not usually that bad at audio stuff.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Count me in as another ROTTK X fan who just got and is highly enjoying Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence. That said, the mechanics of these games have changed enormously since the earlier titles of the PS2 era (not that that's surprising) so I'm finding myself a little lost. There also don't seem to be any guides for it, either.

Does anyone know if it's possible to group single units from individual castles/fortresses together to form a single unit of maneuver on the strategic map?? The battle screen is probably what confuses me the most, and I only just barely beat the mock battle in the tutorial despite having commanders that seemed to have godlike stats. I also don't really understand how character growth/assignment of traits work, since that seems to have changed significantly. Does anyone know of any recommended guides for understanding the basics of this game? I tried to play my first game as an obscure clan on the westernmost island but I got my poo poo stomped pretty badly by an equivalently-sized clan. I think the major problem was the four officers (including the Daimyo) that I started with had a lovely stat spread in the low-mid 40s. I tried to hire people to fill out my ranks a little, like I would have in ROTTK X, but I wasn't able to find anyone. I must be missing something--how do I scout out and recruit talented people to get an edge?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Count me in as another ROTTK X fan who just got and is highly enjoying Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence. That said, the mechanics of these games have changed enormously since the earlier titles of the PS2 era (not that that's surprising) so I'm finding myself a little lost. There also don't seem to be any guides for it, either.

Does anyone know if it's possible to group single units from individual castles/fortresses together to form a single unit of maneuver on the strategic map?? The battle screen is probably what confuses me the most, and I only just barely beat the mock battle in the tutorial despite having commanders that seemed to have godlike stats. I also don't really understand how character growth/assignment of traits work, since that seems to have changed significantly. Does anyone know of any recommended guides for understanding the basics of this game? I tried to play my first game as an obscure clan on the westernmost island but I got my poo poo stomped pretty badly by an equivalently-sized clan. I think the major problem was the four officers (including the Daimyo) that I started with had a lovely stat spread in the low-mid 40s. I tried to hire people to fill out my ranks a little, like I would have in ROTTK X, but I wasn't able to find anyone. I must be missing something--how do I scout out and recruit talented people to get an edge?

Grouping units doesn't seem possible, especially since there's a limit to how many units can be on the same point. The tutorial fight is really easy to lose, because if that guy actually charges either of your units, they're dead. When it tells you to use the volley tactic (which for whatever reason is actually the "release" tactic), remember both of your units can use it.

There is a Help screen, click on the gear icon on the top-right of the screen. Also, the icon right next to it is the list screen, which can let you see all your officers. As for finding new ones, you only have three options: Hire ronin, which aren't always available, Entice disloyal officers from other forces, or go to war. If you destroy a clan, any officers you captured will become far more likely to join your clan.

Also, you should avoid playing as a small clan, because you're basically playing on hard mode then. Kyushu, the westernmost island, is especially dangerous if you aren't the Otomo or maybe the Shimazu. Hell, the Otomo gets Dosetsu Tachibana (goes by a different name in the earlier start dates), a guy with 90's in LEA, VAL, and INT, and who gets dangerous traits very quickly. He's one of the better war officers in the game, and no one else in the earliest start date really compares to him.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I would like to try out Nobunaga's Ambition, but on the other hand it is my first game in that series and I am afraid of being overwhelmed...

*Looks at all the Total War games in Steam list, all with only a few hours played*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Astus posted:

Grouping units doesn't seem possible, especially since there's a limit to how many units can be on the same point. The tutorial fight is really easy to lose, because if that guy actually charges either of your units, they're dead. When it tells you to use the volley tactic (which for whatever reason is actually the "release" tactic), remember both of your units can use it.

There is a Help screen, click on the gear icon on the top-right of the screen. Also, the icon right next to it is the list screen, which can let you see all your officers. As for finding new ones, you only have three options: Hire ronin, which aren't always available, Entice disloyal officers from other forces, or go to war. If you destroy a clan, any officers you captured will become far more likely to join your clan.

Also, you should avoid playing as a small clan, because you're basically playing on hard mode then. Kyushu, the westernmost island, is especially dangerous if you aren't the Otomo or maybe the Shimazu. Hell, the Otomo gets Dosetsu Tachibana (goes by a different name in the earlier start dates), a guy with 90's in LEA, VAL, and INT, and who gets dangerous traits very quickly. He's one of the better war officers in the game, and no one else in the earliest start date really compares to him.

This is excellent advice, I appreciate it a great deal.

Any suggestions on novice-friendly starts, besides Otomo? General advice on how to conduct an early buildup or what types of facilities are best to construct? Long-term growth of bases seems to be confusing to me, and I don't understand if it ever becomes strategically viable to build your own fortresses from scratch rather than simply conquer those of others.

Also, is there an easy way to determine how many units you need to besiege a castle? In my first attempted game (Normal difficulty) I besieged a castle with a 500-man garrison with about 1900 troops and it wasn't enough to surround it properly.

EDIT: I fired the game up again and realized the clan I was playing as was the Kimotsuki, in the southernmost region of Kyushu. I got suckerpunched by the Shimazu, who I recognize as "west coast easy mode" from Shogun 2. I actually managed to win the initial engagement with them, although it was a pretty Pyrrhic victory and my forces were shredded in the process. Are the Ouchi and Amago clans as dominant in this region as their sheer size would suggest?

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 8, 2015