Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

What about it?

Oh you mean the mess left behind? People pay to be there. Cleanup costs are part of the festival's overheads.

That doesn't make it acceptable though. Ticket prices are the same for us responsible festival goers who take care of our litter as for the ignorant who don't. The worst patrons could cost more than whatever share of their ticket price goes to the cleaning.
The litter will cause harm in the time before the clean up crews can sort it, and they'll never be completely effective. Especially as wind takes the crap off site to the surrounding countryside.
The same attitude is equally applicable everywhere else really. You could say the cost of cleaning stations is factored into the rail fare so litter there rather than finding a bin, council tax pays for street sweeping so litter the street, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

dispatch_async posted:

Are we? I thought we were talking about how it was acceptable to blame travellers as a group for racism against them because they 'bring it on themselves'.

Well lots of people piled on Prince John for saying a thing stupidly (i.e. lumping all travellers in with the 'bad apples') but after that there was an awful lot of apologism for very anti-social behaviour with some pretty paper thin justifications.

Cerv posted:

That doesn't make it acceptable though. Ticket prices are the same for us responsible festival goers who take care of our litter as for the ignorant who don't. The worst patrons could cost more than whatever share of their ticket price goes to the cleaning.
The litter will cause harm in the time before the clean up crews can sort it, and they'll never be completely effective. Especially as wind takes the crap off site to the surrounding countryside.
The same attitude is equally applicable everywhere else really. You could say the cost of cleaning stations is factored into the rail fare so litter there rather than finding a bin, council tax pays for street sweeping so litter the street, and so on.

Your logic is mostly good here but travellers who aren't using licensed sites aren't contributing to the council tax unlike the litterers in every other example you cited. Also I don't really think you can assume the same social contract to weekend festivals as the country at large. That being said, littering is wrong. Always.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 3, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerv posted:

You could say that, but dropping litter on the street is a crime whereas I'm not sure that is the case for private land on which a commercial festival is being held.

I've never attended Glastonbury but I have a hunch that 'take your litter with you' is not something that customers are asked to do. Being able to leave your crap is part of the service you've forked out hundreds of pounds for.

If Glastonbury's cleanup crews aren't effective then the organisers should be fined.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

The same attitude is equally applicable everywhere else really. You could say the cost of cleaning stations is factored into the rail fare so
I thought this was going to go in a different direction.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Well lots of people piled on Prince John for saying a thing stupidly (i.e. lumping all travellers in with the 'bad apples') but after that there was an awful lot of apologism for very anti-social behaviour with some pretty paper thin justifications.

You've just said that people can move anywhere in the country without actually suggesting a place that they can go, or indeed addressing that people might not want to leave an area for various reasons. But you can drive across the UK fairly quickly which somehow makes it ok in a sort of Voyage of the Damned kind of way

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You've just said that people can move anywhere in the country without actually suggesting a place that they can go

Aren't there hundreds of legal caravan sites up and down the country?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

We're talking about travellers who squat in car parks and the like leaving a mess, not ones using authorised sites.

So you're saying there are good travellers and bad travellers? Travellers deserving of our sympathy and travellers who aren't? Goodness, I wonder where that line of thinking will lead.

Regardless, the travellers I was talking about didn't live on an authorised site.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

I've never attended Glastonbury but I have a hunch that 'take your litter with you' is not something that customers are asked to do.

quote:

We want all Festival goers to think ‘zero waste’ and to take home what they bring onto the Festival site.

It is

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I travel every day by train

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Aren't there hundreds of legal caravan sites up and down the country?

Many of which only take people from the Caravan Club (my exgirlfriend's father owned a caravan site), let alone taking on groups of travellers

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
So we are agreed that as festivalgoers shouldn't litter their fields so too Travellers shouldn't foul up their camping sites.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

...which makes no mention of the litter from the food and drink sold on-site.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Many of which only take people from the Caravan Club (my exgirlfriend's father owned a caravan site), let alone taking on groups of travellers

I don't mean those as owned privately by your rich extended family I mean local authority ones as detailed here:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jun/29/gypsy-sites-england-local-authority

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

kapparomeo posted:

So we are agreed that Travellers shouldn't foul up their camping sites just as festivalgoers shouldn't litter their fields.

I do a little lol every time a middle class homeowner walking his dog steps in a soiled nappy

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
People who don't clean up after their dogs need shooting.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I feel like this got overlooked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBDoaCu6INo

It has Jeremy Corbyn as a communist threesome baby and shows the British public as Wizards. Despite that it's probably the most accurate coverage he's going to receive.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

quote:

Cameron rejected claims that he did not care about the refugees. When this was put to him, he replied:

We do care, because we sent the Royal Navy job to save lives

I thought the Royal Navy was being sent to gun down empty smuggling boats or something equally retarded?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You've just said that people can move anywhere in the country without actually suggesting a place that they can go, or indeed addressing that people might not want to leave an area for various reasons. But you can drive across the UK fairly quickly which somehow makes it ok in a sort of Voyage of the Damned kind of way

Isn't travelling around the country kind of their thing? Any group that's just rocked up and is squatting in an unauthorised site presumably wasn't already in that area in the first place. All I'm saying is that I can't see a convincing reason why any group would "have" to squat in a business park and trash the place.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

So you're saying there are good travellers and bad travellers? Travellers deserving of our sympathy and travellers who aren't? Goodness, I wonder where that line of thinking will lead.

Regardless, the travellers I was talking about didn't live on an authorised site.

Don't be so obtuse, all I'm saying is that there's no excuse for littering and I'm sure the individuals concerned had other options if they could be bothered to put the effort in.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 3, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

People who don't clean up after their dogs need shooting.

The poo bag hanging ritual really pisses me off. It's like they're expecting some mythical poo fairy to come along after them and collect their little parcels, danging from fences/trees/insert nearby object.

Junior G-man posted:

I thought the Royal Navy was being sent to gun down empty smuggling boats or something equally retarded?

No, there was a large ship out there handing out lifejackets and ferrying people to shore in Europe - possibly Italy. HMS Bulwark? My memory is bad.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ludicro posted:

Julie Bindel – “Syrian children drowning while trying to escape the Middle East is tragic, but butch lesbians are the real victims.”

:vince:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Bring back common land.

This.

The Law Relating To Gypsies And Travellers posted:

‘For centuries the commons of England provided lawful stopping places for people whose way of life was or had become nomadic. Enough common land survived the centuries of enclosure to make this way of life sustainable, but by section 23 of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 local authorities were given power to close the commons to Travellers. This they proceeded to do with great energy, but made no use of the concomitant power given to them by section 24 of the same Act to open caravan sites to compensate for the closure of the common.'

OvineYeast posted:

maybe travellers who are forced to squat and are swiftly moved on don't feel particularly impelled to keep the place spick and span, since they're going to be evicted in a few weeks whatever they do

This too.
Anecdote: I've been told by (non-Roma) Travellers that the problems with camps being left strewn with rubbish became serious after the removal of the right to camp on common land in the early 60s. The lack of any serious creation of new camp sites to offset the removal of long used common land sites meant that there was increasing pressure on what sites could be found/squatted. As they no longer had any right or freedom to use the land, and might not even get to return to the same site, many travellers felt they were also no longer responsible for looking after it. Without any personal investment in the welfare of the land why should they expend energy looking after it for people who would rather they didn't exist? At the most extreme end this attitude led some to refuse to poo poo outside* resulting in bags of poo getting lobbed out the window. This has now gone on so long that it's accepted as 'how things are done'.
Treat people as unwanted shits and unsurprisingly they start to act on the expectation.

*Not messy - you do it in a hole and bury it deep enough to deter the dogs. Simple. See also How To poo poo In The Woods

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Isn't travelling around the country kind of their thing?

No, the majority of them live either in permanent housing or in long term leases on council owned sites (and pay council tax and whatnot), which is why things like Dale Farm is such a big deal - a thousand people were forced to move on, where to? Nobody cared.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 3, 2015

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Junior G-man posted:

It's disputed. They sent one big boat to rescue migrants but they replaced the one they were using with a much smaller and less effective one. At the time "Defence sources said at the time that HMS Bulwark’s replacement would not be part of the EU’s Operation Triton search and rescue operation but would instead carry out a surveillance role under a separate EU naval mission to “identify, capture and dispose” of boats being used or suspected of being used by the smugglers" although this has officially been denied.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

Give me more credit than that and address the points man, come on. The Jewish example is even helpful as another community who retain their own identity, which in turn makes them extremely vulnerable to scapegoating.

The Romani and Jewish communities are in the worst game ever of "who's undergone the most genocides". :smith:

The history of physical and cultural genocide of both communities has led to the diaspora fracturing massively (doubly so for the Romani) and there are a lot of people who are in a diaspora from the diaspora.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jeremy Corbyn will destroy the UK.

In the best case scenario

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a LOT easier to make a caravan park if you restrict it to club membership and have less than 6 vans. No site licence, no formal planning permission required- it's why membership of a club is pretty much mandatory for leisure caravans.

Source: going on a lot of caravan club holidays as a kid, and vague memories of looking up the laws about keeping a caravan in the woodland I manage.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

El Scotch posted:

Jeremy Corbyn will destroy the UK.

In the best case scenario

We can only hope.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

cant wait for this to be on huge screens in all our cities

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Avatar dimensions have been noted

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
labours election adverts should just be

Who do you trust to run the country?

or

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

For context it was his reaction to Coopers "I'm not the type of person to vote 500 times against the leadership" comment.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=7UlbsDF&v=U06jlgpMtQs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:golfclap:
It's the antiparticle to https://vine.co/v/ejAJTxt7Ktj
e: and https://gifsound.com/?gif=https://cdn.makeagif.com/media/1-18-2014/0bh9VO.gif&v=3JGJXmpKGXY

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
being a litter picker at glastonbury is cool and good, you find lots of drugs and money and the organisers have their poo poo down pat.

the site is well looked after and when the festival isn't around the countryside is beautiful, they even have fallow years where they take a break so that the land can recover properly.

litter pickers generally get free tickets and are usually provided by charities who get cash for finding people to do the job.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Good news!

http://www.onlykoshercandy.com/haribo-gold-bears.html

(my local Tesco has the halal version, too)

Or, one of the Few good things about where I live, the only sweet shop in England endorsed by the vegetarian society
(which means it's also halal and kosher)

And they do internet orders...

http://www.sweetexpectations.co.uk/

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Traveller and festival chat has proven the only solution is to ban all forms of camping and caravanning. Seriously though it doesn't matter who you are or where you are, clean up after yourselves dont leave your rubbish lying about, also don't put your fag buts into pint glasses when there's an ashtray next to you, forget travellers people who do that are the real scum.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Maybe they could point to some issues Corbyn rebelled on where they're confident the Labour leadership had the right answer, rather than just saying it as if it's de facto a bad thing. There's even a helpful website that compiles lists of how MPs voted that I took the liberty of consulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do travellers generally pay tax or rent for the campgrounds they stay at?

• Locked thread