Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love that you can't bleed brakes without the special computer. Fuckin cars man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Technically that's true on almost anything with ABS. However as long as you are careful and the system didn't run completely dry (aka air didn't make it to the ABS HCU while you were working on the brakes) you can usually bleed the normal way and forget all about it.

All the computer generally does is cycle the ABS solenoid valves in an abnormal way so you can bleed the air out of the ABS HCU.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

tater_salad posted:

I love that you can't bleed brakes without the special computer. Fuckin cars man.

Its pretty well the only way to do it properly on any car with ABS and/or Traction Control.

There are a bunch of solenoid valves and at least 1 gear pump/motorised piston actuator that helps do all the magic brake trickery, and any air in those places can cause bad things(TM)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Great I guess I'm the mechanic failure. When I'm done doing brakes on my cars I always bleed a bit and look for air in the mitivac line to make sure I didn't introduce air into the system.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

tater_salad posted:

Great I guess I'm the mechanic failure. When I'm done doing brakes on my cars I always bleed a bit and look for air in the mitivac line to make sure I didn't introduce air into the system.

It's more of an issue if you have to replace lines, hoses, or something like the master cylinder. Just regular bleeding shouldn't introduce air, unless you let the MC go dry.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Technically that's true on almost anything with ABS. However as long as you are careful and the system didn't run completely dry (aka air didn't make it to the ABS HCU while you were working on the brakes) you can usually bleed the normal way and forget all about it.

All the computer generally does is cycle the ABS solenoid valves in an abnormal way so you can bleed the air out of the ABS HCU.

And when you have drained enough that the ABS has air in it, you bleed, bleed, bleed (preferably power bleeder) then go out in the grass and lock 'em up a bunch of times, come back and bleed more. One or two cycles of that usually takes care of it.

Yeah, having the right cable/software makes things a lot easier.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Is there a reason why ABS units cannot have bleed nipples fitted at the factory other than $cost$ ?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Is there a reason why ABS units cannot have bleed nipples fitted at the factory other than $cost$ ?

Some of them do. And I've found you still need to run the bleed procedure or go out sliding around.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You could, but you would need to put them in all the sections of plumbing in there that are blocked off during use. That gets prohibitive pretty quickly, for example by my count you would need four on even an old WJ with only 3 ABS circuits and no ESC/ETC. And that still gives no way to bleed the pump itself. Add another channel and more capabilities and the number goes up.

Here's a hydraulic diagram and writeup for the simplest ABS I can think of used anytime in the last 14 years: http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_teves_mk20.htm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress that web page for trying to block right clicks with javascript.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

xzzy posted:

gently caress that web page for trying to block right clicks with javascript.

Javascript turned off by default, sure it makes the initial visits to a new website a hassle but it cockblocks that bullshit right away.

So would this whole ABS bleeding stuff possibly be why I could never get the brakes right on the old volvo I had as a teenager after the brakes overheated? It was a mid 80's model, no idea if it actually had ABS or not. Worked with my uncle and replaced the MC, new fluid and bled that sucker half a dozen times and they never worked right.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
My car has ABS built into the master, and has 3 bleed nipples for the whole thing. I'm pretty sure that's all I need to bleed. But the master cylinder unit is a huge pile of mystery and doesn't resemble a modern ABS unit at all, so who knows

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We were having braking problems on our time attack car at one event and figured there was some air in the abs. So I drove it around on the grass near the pits and did a bunch of sliding abs stops. Then we re-bled and the brakes worked great after that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's not broken in this picture but went oozing for something and got sidelined and I don't even know any more. It's a VAG product.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:siren: WHEN IN DOUBT, ADD AN L FOR FUCKS SAKE :siren:

gently caress.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 4, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

gently caress.

quoting to see what the gently caress

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I think the problem are the ghosts in that image

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Raluek posted:

quoting to see what the gently caress

It's part of the wiring for the glow plug on a Wärtsilä RT-flex96C, right?

I know it doesn't

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Whatever it is, it's a very large failure. Looks like an ignition coil pack with a split in the boot?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Not too many people post images that blow things up on my 4k screen, :bravo:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

gently caress.

Just when I was considering a volvo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

gently caress YOU TRAIN, I QUIT.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

:stare: Well poo poo son.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Ă¢Ñ€Ă¸ ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø,
трø ĂÂżĂÂľ трø ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø
The oil splatter on the wall is so Ralph Steedman.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Cloudy with a chance of fragged locomotive piston? Holy gently caress....:stonk:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

What's that?

INCOMING BOGIES SIR GET DOWN

Source: British Rail, of course. http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/03/31/finding-the-real-causes/ The bearing and axle had nearly a million miles on them and the bearing seized, spun, and heated the end of the axle until it lost strength and failed.

That was a terrible pun and I regret nothing :colbert:

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 4, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For a minute I thought the failure was that hosed up roof design on the porch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

My reaction was literally :stare: when I realized what I was looking at (I also thought it was some hosed up roof design at first).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Sorry, my bad. Phoneposted from the scene of the crime. Looked good in Awful App. :(

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Sorry, my bad. Phoneposted from the scene of the crime. Looked good in Awful App. :(
Looked fine (i.e. terrifying) on my laptop. Train engine throws a piston through a roof, nothing unclear about it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That one is a classic and is metal as gently caress.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There was a power station in South Africa that was doing a turbine overspeed test. Basically they pushed the turbine into overspeed on purpose, there were three systems that would automatically regulate or shut the system down, and a person ready at an e-stop button to kill the test if things went sideways.

In ten seconds the turbine goes from 3000 RPM to 4500 RPM, 150% of rated speed. (It should never exceed about 3450 RPM, or 115%).

All three systems failed, and the guy who was supposed to press the emergency stop if things went sideways did not press the emergency stop. (Reports say he wasn't even where he was supposed to be.)

Things went very, very sideways.

https://nolstuijt.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/duvha-powerstation-turbine-blowup-sa/

Things that were trashed:
  • The turbine
  • The generator
  • The turbine hall (serious facade and even some structural damage)

If you search for "Duvha power station" there are more pictures of the chaos.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
Whose drat idea was it to overspeed a multi million dollar piece of equipment to 150 percent, without the man at his post? The chain of events that lead to this is mind blowing.

Horrible idea for a test, failed safety system, and the drat dead mans switch guy wasn't near it. drat.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah seriously. Let's have a test of a safety system, by doing the most unsafe thing possible! What could possibly go wrong!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

rainwulf posted:

and the drat dead mans switch guy wasn't near it. drat.
I'm pretty sure the point of a dead man's switch is just for that very purpose, so when the guy to turn it off is dead the system turns itself off automatically because he's dead... or just not there. There was no dead man's switch, there was a manual "off" switch with nobody to push the button.

And wasn't there some, like, power plant or something in Ukraine that did basically the same thing except it turned out worse? :rolleye:

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 7, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rainwulf posted:

Whose drat idea was it to overspeed a multi million dollar piece of equipment to 150 percent, without the man at his post? The chain of events that lead to this is mind blowing.

Chernobyl would like to remind you that it was largely a mixture of known defects and bad management.

Friar Zucchini posted:

And wasn't there some, like, power plant or something in Ukraine that did basically the same thing except it turned out worse? :rolleye:

If you are talking about Chernobyl: Yes. It wasn't entirely an issue with the positive void coefficient, but a failure of proper control over the test sequence being carried out on the reactor.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

CommieGIR posted:

If you are talking about Chernobyl: Yes. It wasn't entirely an issue with the positive void coefficient, but a failure of proper control over the test sequence being carried out on the reactor.

Probably 15ish years ago I read a translated Russian book about the Chernobyl accident and yeah, this. IIRC, after thoroughly dissecting all the technical aspects of the accident and the deficiencies of the RBMK reactor design, the author put most of the blame on human factors. Despite all the problems with the reactor's design, he felt the test could have been run without causing an accident if the Soviet system hadn't populated the administrative structure of nuclear power with nepotistic picks who weren't given enough training.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BobHoward posted:

Probably 15ish years ago I read a translated Russian book about the Chernobyl accident and yeah, this. IIRC, after thoroughly dissecting all the technical aspects of the accident and the deficiencies of the RBMK reactor design, the author put most of the blame on human factors. Despite all the problems with the reactor's design, he felt the test could have been run without causing an accident if the Soviet system hadn't populated the administrative structure of nuclear power with nepotistic picks who weren't given enough training.

Yeah, the RBMK is still in service, althought most of them have been fixed, but the plant had operated fine through multiple similar tests, except this time they basically started the test and then totally forgot it was going on, and the test continued to run over a shift change and no proper control was passed to the new shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Oh, yeah could be that, but the first thing that reminded me of was Sayano–Shushenskaya Dam turbine failure I'm not gonna repost the pics here again but it was pretty severe to say the least.