Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The buyback money I got for my Viper is already starting to burn a hole in my pocket. My random thoughts so far:
- Ferrari 348
- Solstice GXP (seem the same price as NCs)
- an already built Factory 5 818

348s are cheap enough that I can get one and have the funds to keep it running. I think 355s are rising in price, and pushing 348s down because of it.
A 348 would tick off 3 things I want on my car ownership checklist: gated shifter, midengine, Italian.

The 818 ticks MR and <2000lbs, and it's only $20k.

I local I know has a 348 spider that he uses for his beach car, almost like a Jeep. I don't think he's ever had the top up because the interior is trashed, full of sand and poo poo. It's clearly neglected, the dude beats on it but it keeps going and it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Get a 348 and put a SBC in it. Then take it to Ferrari meets and insist it must be the factory engine because it's so reliable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The 355s that look in good shape are almost the same price as the Viper. I figure I want 10k/year on hand just in case some poo poo goes down.
I love the strakes on the 348, but definitely admit the the 355 overall is so much prettier.

The 348 I'm looking at had its engine out service done only 2500 mi ago, but that was also 3 years. So conservative engine out timing belt replacement would be in 2 more years. Though other places say as long as 8 years.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I went to sleep at 8PM last night and only got like 5 hours of sleep cuz of my boss' loud loving snoring. Get the hotel room to myself tonight tho so I should be able to catch some Z's.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
God damnit, coworkers, stop licking your loving fingers while at the lunch buffet. Why do you need to lick them in the first place? I'm going to spike the purell with a bitterant from the devil's taint if you keep this up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MustardFacial posted:

:siren: MustardFacial gets in a huff about the games industry.....again. :siren:
I learned my lesson when I pre-ordered Spore...what a piece of poo poo, never again. It's nice Steam is good with refunds so I can buy a game without worrying too much.

14 INCH DICK posted:

The blackest burn I have ever seen went something along the lines of "with how many horrible tragedies happen almost daily in the United States, you'd almost think it was built on the top of thousands of ancient Indian burial grounds."
:boom:

I was thinking about picking one of these up the other day. I'm mostly interested in using it to see the heart rate data during races but it may be handy for working out and tracking stuff.

You guys are really tempting to buy the Mad Max game, I now have a computer that will run it. Watched the movie again last night. Still amazing.

Mom got a new puppy the other day and keeps sending me photos, that's going to be a BIG girl. I really want a dog.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I went to sleep at 8PM last night and only got like 5 hours of sleep cuz of my boss' loud loving snoring. Get the hotel room to myself tonight tho so I should be able to catch some Z's.

You should get some earbuds and play music if you are sleeping near a snorer. The buds block out most of the sound.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Looked at a couple of vehicles for my brother yesterday:

'98 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 146k miles, $2k. Very much a $2k Jeep. Some rust but not bad, A/C didn't work, very good condition tires though and the engine ran strong. Drove straight and seemed like it'd be a decent vehicle, save for the fuel economy of course. 4WD worked near as I could tell.

'99 F-150 4x4, $3500. My brother loved this truck. It was pretty big, 4.6L V8, Lariat. Had a locking toolbox in the back and a snap-on tonneau cover. Had a loving CB also. A/C was weak, drove bumpy but it may have been the tires. Pretty gnarly rust underneath. The frame itself wasn't bad, but out at the egde of the cab it was awful. The engine had a hole in the exhaust manifold (according to the seller) and the engine was surging at idle. Surged while we drove it too, seller said he was quoted $800 to fix. My brother liked the idea of using it for landscaping though.

I'm still trying to figure out what the gently caress his budget/timing is, and what he wants versus what he needs, but it was fun checking stuff out at least. I kinda want that Cherokee for a winter beater.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

How do you strip a triple square? Unless your answer is "intentionally"

They're super easy to strip, at least the ones you'll find on VWs/Porsches. They are so bad people regularly refer to them as "cheese heads".

If they aren't clean or your bit is worn they cam out. I've found that once you've cammed out of one you need to take whatever bit you were using and throw it right in the trash or it's just gonna cause you more pain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

They're super easy to strip, at least the ones you'll find on VWs/Porsches. They are so bad people regularly refer to them as "cheese heads".

...you are thinking of the Allen heads.

The triple square almost never strip, and even then they do, I can usually still get enough grip to untorque it with the regular triple square head.

People are morons who will break even the most unbreakable of devices.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I just think of it like this:

You can always make things more idiot proof, but they will just build a better idiot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

...you are thinking of the Allen heads.

The triple square almost never strip, and even then they do, I can usually still get enough grip to untorque it with the regular triple square head.

People are morons who will break even the most unbreakable of devices.

I'm absolutely not thinking of allen heads. Here's my socket:

The larger ones (typically 16mm) that are used for brake calipers and trans plugs, etc aren't an issue. But these 8s that hold in half shafts and poo poo are annoying as gently caress if someone else has already screwed with them, if you don't clean them properly (and they are always nasty on the half shafts) or if you don't come at them perfectly straight (also annoying on half shafts).

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I really don't want to start a trigger discussion in the Android thread on IYG, so I'll ask here instead...

What's the go-to mSD card these days? the 32gb SanDisk in my current phone has been good, but I want more space for new phone.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kimbo305 posted:

The buyback money I got for my Viper is already starting to burn a hole in my pocket. My random thoughts so far:
- Ferrari 348
- Solstice GXP (seem the same price as NCs)
- an already built Factory 5 818

348s are cheap enough that I can get one and have the funds to keep it running. I think 355s are rising in price, and pushing 348s down because of it.
A 348 would tick off 3 things I want on my car ownership checklist: gated shifter, midengine, Italian.

The 818 ticks MR and <2000lbs, and it's only $20k.

ZZW30 MR2 with a 2GR swap.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

The larger ones (typically 16mm) that are used for brake calipers and trans plugs, etc aren't an issue. But these 8s that hold in half shafts and poo poo are annoying as gently caress if someone else has already screwed with them, if you don't clean them properly (and they are always nasty on the half shafts) or if you don't come at them perfectly straight (also annoying on half shafts).

Again, I've never had one strip :shrug:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
oh man I'm tempted

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Do it

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Do it, thats a drat good price for one of those.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Phone posted:

ZZW30 MR2 with a 2GR swap.

My ex wife's dad has one of those and he let me drive it a few times. It's a loving riot and devastatingly fast. His swap was done with an S54 transmission, which he had rebuilt and got a TRD LSD installed, so he can't do hard launches with it like you could if he'd used an E153 transmission.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I had the reverse problem trying to loosen a sway bar link on a MK5 GTI; I broke 2 size 6 triple square bits. Like, broke em, right out of the socket. Finally said "gently caress you," angle-grinded the bolt to pieces, and installed a new one on each side.

Fart Pipe posted:

Do it, thats a drat good price for one of those.
What's the appeal here? Co-worker has one and we car-pooled to lunch one day and it just seems cramped and weird. He talks about repair costs all the time and weird brake problems and it just seems like a headache.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

scuz posted:

What's the appeal here? Co-worker has one and we car-pooled to lunch one day and it just seems cramped and weird. He talks about repair costs all the time and weird brake problems and it just seems like a headache.

Subaru nerdery, mostly.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

Subaru nerdery, mostly.
I can respect that. Nerd on, nerds.

Erdit: If this new job goes through (and it's 50/50 at the moment) I'm rewarding myself with a 87-91 fox-body mustang (like this motherfucker right here). A brilliant plan flashed through my head yesterday of taking one of those fuckers and painting it like it fell out of a detective serial from the 80s. We're talking shoulder pads in business suits with the sleeves rolled up, how-much-cocaine-do-you-think-he-has-in-the-glove-box kind of colors. You know the "jazz" pattern on solo cups? That kinda poo poo, just with more pink.

scuz fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 3, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

DO IT. Check for rust around the rear door in the corner by the end of the rockers, it's a common spot for it (mine started bubbling a little so it's getting parked for this winter and repaired properly in the spring before it spreads :smith:) external head gasket leaks are common but not too worrying, most people live with it, it probably needs a timing kit soon so you can do the head gaskets at the dame time if you really want and they're leaking. SOHC so you can do them without removing the motor if you really feel like it.

From the ride height it looks like an 03, I didn't see the year mentioned in the ad.

DO IT.

E:

scuz posted:

*gasp* HERESY

But yeah, it's Subaru nerdiness, quirky weird and a little bit of a unicorn but still mostly playable with Subaru Lego. Plus the owners ate all a bit nutty.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 3, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

bandman posted:

My ex wife's dad has one of those and he let me drive it a few times. It's a loving riot and devastatingly fast. His swap was done with an S54 transmission, which he had rebuilt and got a TRD LSD installed, so he can't do hard launches with it like you could if he'd used an E153 transmission.

S54 transmission? That would have been an SW20 MR2, not the ZZW30 which was called the MR-S in the states. The MR-S uses a Corolla/7g Celica drivetrain (1ZZ or 2ZZ)whereas the SW20 had a Camry (5SFE) or Celica AllTrac engine (3SGTE).

They're all incredibly fun cars, I just had to sperg.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

S54 transmission? That would have been an SW20 MR2, not the ZZW30 which was called the MR-S in the states. The MR-S uses a Corolla/7g Celica drivetrain (1ZZ or 2ZZ)whereas the SW20 had a Camry (5SFE) or Celica AllTrac engine (3SGTE).

His is an MR2 Spyder, but the swap was done with an S54 for some reason. Probably packaging concerns, as the E153 is physically much larger than the S54.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's also a bunch of one off poo poo that you need to do like using Lotus Evora parts to get everything to play nice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Buy a comanche instead, enjoy your power, torque, 300k+ mile factory head gasket, and only a few mpg less if properly maintained :v:

Seriously though that looks like it is in pretty good shape.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Non turbo baja? what's the loving point?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

To be king of the roads in the winter, of course!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I swear to god, I wish somebody would explain to me why we need to spend an hour recalculating rates for a demographic change and then manually adjust them to the old rates for a new proposal.

Every time I suggest to sales they just send in the old proposal that already has the rates they want they lose their poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BraveUlysses posted:

They don't want their ringlands to spontaneously combust?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Do it! I love my Baja and for all the poo poo I get about it being "not really a truck", I've hauled full-size couches, lumber, compost, more furniture...

They're surprisingly handy and really fun to drive. They're pretty good cross-country, too. I've driven mine from MT to the midwest twice now and from MT to the Oregon coast once or twice a year for the past five or six years.

The head gaskets aren't hard to do and you can do it when you do the timing belt like Bajaha said.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I've drank a gallon of water since 6AM and haven't had to piss once.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

Mom got a new puppy the other day and keeps sending me photos, that's going to be a BIG girl. I really want a dog.

I want that dog.

Terrible Robot posted:

Yea, but to do a 2gr v6 swap into a ZZW30 most people use the s54, same setup when they put a 2gr into a sw20.

I vote a K-series swapped ZZW30 mr2 just to piss off the toyota fan boys.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Negromancer posted:

I want that dog.

Yea, but to do a 2gr v6 swap into a ZZW30 most people use the s54, same setup when they put a 2gr into a sw20.

I hadn't heard of this swap before and :monocle: I bet that's a riot

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The subaru Baja is hilarious and it's on my list of "if I find a good runner for less than 2k" cars that I'd drain my savings for.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter - $3500.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5144377244.html

What do you think AI, worth it?

Get the Baja.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I learned my lesson when I pre-ordered Spore...what a piece of poo poo, never again. It's nice Steam is good with refunds so I can buy a game without worrying too much.

The new SimCity is what did it for me. What a steaming piece of poo poo that game was.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

I have a massive hard on for pre 80s corollas please loving get this.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

MustardFacial posted:

Get the Baja.

The new SimCity is what did it for me. What a steaming piece of poo poo that game was.

That Corolla is way rad, pull that trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MustardFacial posted:

Get the Baja.

I watched a bunch of people play Cities: Skylines, but Paradox knows what's up. No DRM on their games and they have quite the following. Instead of burning a poo poo load of calories on making sure h4x0rzz, they spend it on making good games.

That said, the copy protection schemes of consoles back in the day are rad as hell and checking SRAM is like a few lines of code.

• Locked thread