Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

yuming posted:

Yea yea next summer June 2016 woo!

My new job uses Outlook mail and I hate it so much.

We also have Gmail accounts, but forward it into Outlook. Perhaps I can reverse this somehow...

Outlook owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

We did not swing the vote. It is the dark times. Someone help us figure out where the light is.

It's somewhere in the past where being a lurky dick wasn't beneficial to the outcome of your game

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

merk posted:

We did not swing the vote. It is the dark times. Someone help us figure out where the light is.
I feel like this game is my fault! I cannot play if I can't post during the day, and since I can't post at work I am not going to sign up for games until summer vacation.

I've played in a lot of great active games this summer, it's just a matter of availability I think. We're old :sun:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

well the way I see it there's two related problems:

- how do we increase our player pool
- what do we do about how we do until then

We've brainstormed some ideas for the first (banner ad [assuming this is effective, nobody has actually heard from little_mac yet who has more details] and theme recruiting from other subforums). The second requires some more compromises in the short-term, like mods not opening a game until they know they can fill most of it quickly, and players willing to play games even if its theme/mod/whatever doesn't excite them too much.

I mean, it's a problem a kind of... .........queue would solve nicely.

yuming posted:

I've played in a lot of great active games this summer, it's just a matter of availability I think. We're old :sun:
this is a good point too! has the average userbase for SA gotten older? there is a good chance we're just witnessing the slow death of the forum itself.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
maybe if we really love mafia we should let it go

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Someone create a banner ad that is exceptional and I will pay money.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I do think having a full time job is the number one reason I don't have time to play anymore-- I spend a large chunk of time sitting in front of a computer (the other part wrangling teenagers.)

When I get home, the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a computer and read more. It feels like more work!

The timing of deadlines is a big factor for me too-- there is literally no good time for me during the school year because I'm too tired to stay up.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Second item:

Someone create a Google Doc of past players. You can use votefinder.org/players to help populate this list.

Ecco, create a setup for a big game of 20-27 players that will rock the world. I will co-mod to help with votecounts and whatever else you need.

We will divvy up the list of past players and send them PMs with personal invitations to Ecco's game. These PMs will be tracked on the Google Doc. If that game fills up, we will create a second game for past players with a new setup created by the next person I randomly nominate. Diqnol, we need your high posting prowess to join this game to help keep it lurker free.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think this is not the time for a banner ad. Let's clean the house before we invite guests.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

Someone create a banner ad that is exceptional and I will pay money.

well hold your money, let's hear from little_mac if the banner ad he used actually got click traffic (presumably he has those stats). if it did then we can probably just rinse and repeat, though I don't recall anyone new showing up as a result of the ad.

merk posted:

Ecco, create a setup for a big game of 20-27 players that will rock the world. I will co-mod to help with votecounts and whatever else you need.

France it is. Gimme a day or so to brainstorm something weird.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If we're going to do this don't just rush and half rear end it imo

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Another thing is role heavy, larger games seem to fill up easiest and those are aaa so much work to follow and imo don't teach good habits.

I enjoy an occasional weird setup, like Amoeba's recent game or Opop's cult game but those were both smaller and weird things are easier to digest in smaller form idk.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

yuming posted:

Another thing is role heavy, larger games seem to fill up easiest and those are aaa so much work to follow and imo don't teach good habits.

I enjoy an occasional weird setup, like Amoeba's recent game or Opop's cult game but those were both smaller and weird things are easier to digest in smaller form idk.

no this is definitely true. I've been saying for a while now (and publicly for a week) that we've gone too far on the pendulum to "role madness" games. Even my wackiest France games are a third vanilla for a reason.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

agree with this too, though I like merk's leadership and would follow him to hell and back I would.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I don't see how either of my suggestions are half assing it.

Do you want to take the lead on creating the Google Doc?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

yuming posted:

I agree so much that I broke my keyboard typing this post so hard.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I think the success of Raccoon game shows what I've known for a very long time.

Mafia is bad. Let Mafia fade from this world, as the fate it rightfully deserves. We can use our energy more constructively to explore new avenues of engaging with the social space of the forums and create new and engaging means of interaction that are not hidebound by the existing structures and traditions of the old world Mafia.

Also, my anxiety is perfectly reasonable and rational, assuming that one accepts as a fact that I am a piece of poo poo deserving only of misery and scorn for my failures: past, present, and future.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Let's not go calling raccoon game a success just yet.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

I agree so much that I broke my keyboard typing this post so hard.

here is a post that I wrote a few weeks ago

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=449028778

Meinberg posted:

I think the success of Raccoon game shows what I've known for a very long time.

Mafia is bad. Let Mafia fade from this world

nah also raccoon game hasn't even had a turn process yet let's not call it a success until MMM makes it so.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Pinterest Mom posted:

Let's not go calling raccoon game a success just yet.

I mean purely from the "let's get new players into things" perspective.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

EccoRaven posted:

no this is definitely true. I've been saying for a while now (and publicly for a week) that we've gone too far on the pendulum to "role madness" games. Even my wackiest France games are a third vanilla for a reason.
Actually, this could even be contributing to lurking!

(1) In my case, those games reach a point where there is too much noise and I start to check out. If I am scum there is no way I'm going to put the effort into ~solving~ what is essentially a role mess. I'm going to put in minimal effort because I can just lie a bit and ignore and no one will notice. But if I'm town I get just as annoyed and there's too many threads going on that it's hard to inject what you think is important to talk about and get other players talking about it too because they're so distracted by some brutal visitor or something.

(2) If a player expects a cool role, they tune out in a smaller simpler game because nothing is happening.

EXAKT's recent game, Tournament of Heroes is a good example.

For one, there was some great content in that game.

However, it was extremely distracting in its mechanics (from what I remember) and that is hard for players to keep straight.

Limited resource theory!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
When games go from discussing content to discussing night actions, I tune out.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I enjoy night actions and figuring out how they all play together, personally.

I also enjoy playing vanilla and just lying a lot of no discernable reason.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

yuming posted:

EXAKT's recent game, Tournament of Heroes is a good example.

For one, there was some great content in that game.

However, it was extremely distracting in its mechanics (from what I remember) and that is hard for players to keep straight.
Yeah the post I linked above is a not-too-subtle critique of that specific game (since it was both still ongoing and I promised EXAKT I wouldn't make a stink about the setup when I signed up). Speaking as the scum it was incredibly frustrating from our end as well since so many mods don't care about how roles work together, they just do whatever and hope for the best. QPQ and I were convinced it was all doomed from really early on (and it's a miracle we won at all considering how anti-scum the mod made the setup).

It's a really unfortunate series of incentives since players like to sign up for the "crazy" games since they want something new but also don't have the time to ""think"" too hard about a game (analyzing roleclaims is less time-consuming than reading post histories and building cases), but as the player pool decreases mods want to make their games crazier and crazier to capture the limited resource which in turn makes more and more games about roles and less about agency. The "arms race" I talk about in the linked post is very real.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

merk posted:

I don't see how either of my suggestions are half assing it.

Do you want to take the lead on creating the Google Doc?

I guess it's less that half rear end part and more the rushing part I'm concerned about. There's been a couple times where people have wanted to do something in the mafia community and it's happened really quickly.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also raccoon game will be really cool when I can be on a computer for more than half an hour at a time

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I like toying with people :grin:

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

EccoRaven posted:

Yeah the post I linked above is a not-too-subtle critique of that specific game (since it was both still ongoing and I promised EXAKT I wouldn't make a stink about the setup when I signed up). Speaking as the scum it was incredibly frustrating from our end as well since so many mods don't care about how roles work together, they just do whatever and hope for the best. QPQ and I were convinced it was all doomed from really early on (and it's a miracle we won at all considering how anti-scum the mod made the setup).

It's a really unfortunate series of incentives since players like to sign up for the "crazy" games since they want something new but also don't have the time to ""think"" too hard about a game (analyzing roleclaims is less time-consuming than reading post histories and building cases), but as the player pool decreases mods want to make their games crazier and crazier to capture the limited resource which in turn makes more and more games about roles and less about agency. The "arms race" I talk about in the linked post is very real.
Absurdly Vanilla Mafia was a great content based game I had a lot of fun playing this summer.

The best large, role heavy games I remember playing in off the top of my head are Pander's Ace Attorney game and the Harry Potter Mask setup.

I can't really say how much of their success was due to player style and participation and how much due to their balance-- but I think those ingredients are really important for a satisfying game.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

yuming posted:

Absurdly Vanilla Mafia was a great content based game I had a lot of fun playing this summer.
This and like one other game I played recently I realized I needed to explain my cases in a different way.

I stopped giving a gently caress about ~calling people town~ and ~mafia dadding~ and instead really focused on outlining exactly what I thought, and then explaining the (obvious to some but not others) logistical reasons that I thought certain actions were scummy. It's important to externalize those thought processes because without it correct reads can appear random, when in actuality they are usually (for me at least) based on player motivations.

It's a real pitfall to call certain raw actions scummy ~doing X is scummy~ because the context is so so important. But if town players are too scared to look scummy to share their thought processes town won't share enough information to win aaa vicious circle.

idk this all makes sense to me but it is really fun to play in a game where it all falls into place.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I sent a PM to Little Mac about the banner ad.

He responded:

"didn't Mills buy it?"

welp.

I could swear LM took the credit for it last thread.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

yuming posted:

It's a real pitfall to call certain raw actions scummy ~doing X is scummy~ because the context is so so important. But if town players are too scared to look scummy to share their thought processes town won't share enough information to win aaa vicious circle.

In my first couple town games I was trying really hard to be funny and honest and was called out as scummy constantly for it. Now I'm super self conscious and reserved as a mafia player regardless of alignment and I am called scum significantly less and yet somehow also am less helpful to town, I think. It's definitely a very weird phenomenon.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

In my first couple town games I was trying really hard to be funny and honest and was called out as scummy constantly for it. Now I'm super self conscious and reserved as a mafia player regardless of alignment and I am called scum significantly less and yet somehow also am less helpful to town, I think. It's definitely a very weird phenomenon.

You should just make fart noises if somebody calls you scum. It always works.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

CCKeane posted:

You should just make fart noises if somebody calls you scum. It always works.

At first I just wanted to fit in, now I'm just kind of in a rut and need to climb out!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

My first few town games I would get super aggressive to the first person to call me scum. Now I'm just like "yep that's expected" and move on.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
13 player games with open or at least limited-possibility setups comprised of well-understood roles, detailed in the OP, are the most satisfying and strategic.

The game of Mafia is a finely crafted mechanism. It is like Chess, in that amazing subtlety arises from apparent simplicity. Chess is not better if pawns are replaced by "Laser Ninjas" with new convoluted abilities.

When there are vague special snowflake roles and abilities floating around that could do anything and interact in unpredictable ways, it makes discussion and even night action targeting start to revolve around WIFOM'ing the Mod rather than the Players.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

BottleKnight posted:

Don't hide what's inside~

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

yuming posted:

Don't hide what's inside~

*tears out own liver, screams and waves it about*

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
brb writing the setup for laser ninja chess mafia

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

My first few town games I would get super aggressive to the first person to call me scum. Now I'm just like "yep that's expected" and move on.

For some reason I find it easier to determine if someone is scum if they are voting me, like it is just easier to determine if their reaction to me is genuine or fake, but then sometimes people are just dumb and their vote on me feels dumb and then I tunnel them into oblivion

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Is someone going to take the lead on creating that Google Doc? We will start sending invitation PMs once Ecco's setup is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

For some reason I find it easier to determine if someone is scum if they are voting me, like it is just easier to determine if their reaction to me is genuine or fake, but then sometimes people are just dumb and their vote on me feels dumb and then I tunnel them into oblivion

:wave: