Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

How nice is that wheel compared to the Logitech G series? I've had a G25 before, and I liked the build quality, but mostly the assurance that customer support would back me up if anything happened. I'm looking to eventually get into Forza 6 with the xbone, but also get back into PC Sim racing so this is the wheel I'm looking at.

Not sure if there is a gaming peripherals thread active on the forums, feel free to redirect me there if this gets too OT.

i have that same wheel with the f1 addon, it's a very good wheel but i haven't used it on my xbone yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Man that first puddle on Sebring off the start line is going to cause some serious problems for the multiplayer lobbies :D

I was really impressed by that race. The rain visual effects are very well done, especially combined with the patter of rain on the window/car. I was giddly like a school girl the whole race crushing everyone in my 22B. 11/10 will be buying F6 Ultimate.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

The demo for this looked great with a controller. Gonna get my tx wheel set up with basherboxed clubsport pedals tonight and give it a go. Definitely looks promising compared to last go around.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i honestly feel like the rain effects in fm6 are better than project cars'

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

deep impact on vhs posted:

They are, I was excited for pcars rain but in the end it just felt badly implemented and I only race in the dry

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

deep impact on vhs posted:

But it's not DYNAMIC! And that's important because reasons.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
A shift between rain and shine is something i'd like to see in a later forza game. Forza 6 is going to be awesome.

. people who dont buy launch title racing games are cheap hipsters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

TheScott2K posted:

But it's not DYNAMIC! And that's important because reasons.

Well it is because weather can necessitate a pit stop and race strategy. In a sim focused on actual race stuff, that is important.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I pre-ordered the FM6-edition Bone but it doesn't ship until the 15th along with the game. Played the demo last night on my brother's system.

Just hoping the system ships and arrives by the weekend of the release since I took a four day vacation off of work to play.

GT is Caeg for some evening/weekend EST races.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
And a dynamic wet track has shifting lines. Forza 6 just has the same grip everywhere on the racing surface (minus the puddles), just a little less grip than the dry track. So, you brake a little earlier, get on the throttle a little less aggressively, and that's it. You run the exact same line and swerve to avoid the strategically placed puddles to annoy you.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah in my 3-4 lap races I really love taking two laps to loving change tires because 'realism'.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ethanol posted:

Yeah in my 3-4 lap races I really love taking two laps to loving change tires because 'realism'.

Run 8+ then if you wanna have it so it's worth your time?

And it's not about a slavish adherence to realism. Dynamic weather/lighting add a new wrinkle to the gameplay. It's another thing to consider. It's fun.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

ethanol posted:

3-4 lap races

This exclusive 3-4 lap race entitlement by members of the community is forzas greatest drawback.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This exclusive 3-4 lap race entitlement by members of the community is forzas greatest drawback.

yeah well it's usually because we don't have enough racers with similar skill to keep it interesting for more laps. Adding dynamic rain which forces pitstops only lengthens out the gaps

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

I ran out of gas after 12 laps on Rio. It looks like we could actually have required pitting in weekly races.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

Zinjnok posted:

I ran out of gas after 12 laps on Rio. It looks like we could actually have required pitting in weekly races.

So the new Ford GT's mileage hasn't improved over the last iteration.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Not many people are going to run a 10-20 lap race after lap 5 and they are 2 laps down.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

FAILURE posted:

So the new Ford GT's mileage hasn't improved over the last iteration.

:rimshot:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not many people are going to run a 10-20 lap race after lap 5 and they are 2 laps down.

We've been doing this in 5 for the last season of goon racing. 2 long races instead of 3 short ones. It's gone over rather well with the (admittedly small) crowd.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
i say we do 10-20 lap races with drag tires. Short races with pitting. Shuffling the pack = multiplayer fun

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Looks like I got my Xbone up and running again (crosses fingers), downloading the demo now.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

It's amazing hitting a large puddle at speed in this demo. It has to be one of the absolute best translating of 'feel' in almost any game I've played, just via the controller (not even a wheel) and visual feedback. You simultaneously feel the lack of grip and the weird floaty halting of forward momentum that is so specific to that event.

I was kinda bummed that none of the prize spins translate to anything since I nabbed a cool million credits on one go! One week until ultimate launch fest funtimes!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

pvax posted:

It's amazing hitting a large puddle at speed in this demo. It has to be one of the absolute best translating of 'feel' in almost any game I've played, just via the controller (not even a wheel) and visual feedback. You simultaneously feel the lack of grip and the weird floaty halting of forward momentum that is so specific to that event.

I was kinda bummed that none of the prize spins translate to anything since I nabbed a cool million credits on one go! One week until ultimate launch fest funtimes!

Yeah, the water physics are amazing. Usually rain = slippery in games and nothing more, not actual hydroplaining. I was impressed as hell playing the demo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

We did this in Forza 4 for months after it came out, and then I ran with the PA guys who did even longer races every single week until Forza 5 dropped. There are plenty of people who do this, and plenty of those people are slow and will be lapped and still have fun. The only time it really becomes an issue is when a slower lapped guy is bad at letting the leaders by in a safe way.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Cubey posted:

We did this in Forza 4 for months after it came out, and then I ran with the PA guys who did even longer races every single week until Forza 5 dropped. There are plenty of people who do this, and plenty of those people are slow and will be lapped and still have fun. The only time it really becomes an issue is when a slower lapped guy is bad at letting the leaders by in a safe way.

Or when the End of Race Timer isn't set for long enough and the slower lapped guys end up getting zero credits/XP for their efforts because they got a DNF after racing for an hour.

They may have changed that in Forza 5 and started handing out at least some credits for a DNF, but I'm not positive on that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BCRock posted:

Or when the End of Race Timer isn't set for long enough and the slower lapped guys end up getting zero credits/XP for their efforts because they got a DNF after racing for an hour.

They may have changed that in Forza 5 and started handing out at least some credits for a DNF, but I'm not positive on that.

You got credits and XP in Forza 4 even if you ended up with a DNF. Forza 3 was the last game in the series that didn't give you anything for a DNF.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Cubey posted:

I almost always get lapped, but I keep pushing anyways. So, I am one of the people who are slower and still have fun!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I briefly raced with goons in 4 and I sucked poo poo but it was still enjoyable.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Goon races own. We put a long end of race timer, and the slowpokes like myself compete at the back of the grid.

Has anyone encountered any sticky grass in the demo? I think they removed it entirely, and I don't know how to feel about that.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I don't know if adding movable tires was a good idea either, because you can crash into them and get them out of the way (like in the chicane section of Rio). Then, you have a straighter line through to turn a faster lap without getting it dirtied. It's like they didn't think this through very well.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

L_Harrison posted:

I don't know if adding movable tires was a good idea either, because you can crash into them and get them out of the way (like in the chicane section of Rio). Then, you have a straighter line through to turn a faster lap without getting it dirtied. It's like they didn't think this through very well.

And then it leaves a bunch of tires that actually slow down other cars in the track. In real life that would be a safety car situation.

It looks really cool though. If they had just left all the tire walls enclosed like some of them are you could still capture the motion (the enclosed tire walls still have some give and bounce to them) but not the unrealistic spraying of tires everywhere that remain lap after lap.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
This new Forza ad is incredible: http://majornelson.com/2015/09/04/xbox-celebrates-a-legacy-of-innovation-in-forza-motorsport-6-tv-ad

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

WienerDog posted:

Goon races own. We put a long end of race timer, and the slowpokes like myself compete at the back of the grid.

Has anyone encountered any sticky grass in the demo? I think they removed it entirely, and I don't know how to feel about that.

The grass is now annoying in a completely new way where it'll just pull you waaaay off the track for making contact with it.

That's a legitimately terrific ad.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

RC Pro AM came before Pole Position in the ad.

MY IMMERSION

:negative:

(sweet ad)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Makes me miss the days of forza 2 and 3 when we had funky tunes on the soundtrack and not some weird car church music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZsc4XvByvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKGXQKlqcw

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Or Forza 1 which had a soundtrack by Junkie XL. It's too bad the soundtracks have fallen completely by the wayside. FH2 had a great selection.

I have to echo what everyone else has said about rain and puddles in this game, the sensation is amazing. Right now my biggest complaint is that the water splash effect from chase cam or behind another car looks like poo poo. As of right now that's the sum total of my complaints about the game. Really digging the idea behind the mods system. Could really breathe some life into single player and I'm also really happy the roulette system from FH2 made it in.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I always wished I could play Pole Position like D.A.R.Y.L.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Thank god I finally fixed my sound crackling/stuttering issue. Now my only problem is my wife keeps trying to steal the controller from me. BACK OFF LADY.

EDIT: I just won the Veyron in my first spin.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 4, 2015

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

My car is estimated to arrive at port on the 10th so at least I'll have a few days to play this game while its prepped and delivered.

Ultimate edition was a good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Comrade Flynn posted:

EDIT: I just won the Veyron in my first spin.

Why I asked if we keep our prizes since I did that too. Unfortunately gently caress your dreams you aren't getting a veyron to start.

Also I haven't done any forza online stuff but a ton of gran turismo online which I was near the top every race it seems. I think I can do well to start and improve.

• Locked thread