Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

You're probably better off playing MGS 5 without having played all the other MGS games, MGS 5 hits a lot of the same notes as MGS 4 just with "parasites" substituted for "NanoMachines", "SKULLS" for "Frogs" , "PF" for "PMC" and "Mist" for " Overwhelming Emotions" othewise a lot of the stuff related to MGS 1,2& 4 is pretty much "I know that reference".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
So then the question is this: In what order do the games happen in real time? I'd love to watch them in THAT order. Then maybe do them again in release order. I'm a big fan of things that do poo poo out of order like Lost, but I think I'd like to do something like this "wrong" first, just so that I DON'T know the "Future" even though you're "supposed" to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arx Monolith posted:

So then the question is this: In what order do the games happen in real time? I'd love to watch them in THAT order. Then maybe do them again in release order. I'm a big fan of things that do poo poo out of order like Lost, but I think I'd like to do something like this "wrong" first, just so that I DON'T know the "Future" even though you're "supposed" to.

Series order. MGS3 is basically a flashback story started by the ending of MGS2, albeit one that's perfectly self-contained as a fun Bond-esque spy thriller.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Arx Monolith posted:

Chronological:

MGS3
Peace Walker
MGS5
Metal Gear 1 & 2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4
Revengeance
Snatcher

FutonForensic has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Sep 3, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arx Monolith posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 -> Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops -> Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker -> Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes -> Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain -> Metal Gear -> Metal Gear 2 -> Metal Gear Solid -> Metal Gear Solid 2 -> Metal Gear Solid 4 -> Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

portable ops is so unimportant that the only thing you need to know is "big boss meets kazuhira kaz mcdonell benedict master miller and they decide to create an army without borders"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ah poo poo you're right, i forgot Ghost Babel :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaubocks posted:

portable ops is so unimportant that the only thing you need to know is "big boss meets kazuhira kaz mcdonell benedict master miller and they decide to create an army without borders"

The only reference to it in Peace Walker is Kaz saying "Finally, we can leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind...". It wasn't directed by Kojima, so it's only kind of sort of canon. 1000% skippable.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hel posted:

You're probably better off playing MGS 5 without having played all the other MGS games, MGS 5 hits a lot of the same notes as MGS 4 just with "parasites" substituted for "NanoMachines", "SKULLS" for "Frogs" , "PF" for "PMC" and "Mist" for " Overwhelming Emotions" othewise a lot of the stuff related to MGS 1,2& 4 is pretty much "I know that reference".

Except they're about completely different things but okay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The story of the MGS series is tremendously bad (and so is the gameplay in most of them), just play the one with the good and fun gameplay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MGSV soldiers are all dumb in their own special way. :allears:

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nu0vuaHrgI1sn3f24_480.mp4#_=_

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Well there goes getting my brake pads replaced. Thanks, everybody.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

ah poo poo you're right, i forgot Ghost Babel :v:

actually ghost babel takes place in an alternate continuity from the main timeline :goonsay:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Aww, that's adorable. How early on can you get that puppy? Will have to prioritize that. :3:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try using a Fulton balloon on a Sheep. Then try very very hard not to laugh.

I saw a gif on twitter of a bear being lifted into the air as well. Need to try this out too.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

McDragon posted:

Aww, that's adorable. How early on can you get that puppy? Will have to prioritize that. :3:

You can run into it just a few main missions in, at the start (possibly during?) of a mission. It might be possible to skip getting it completely, so, you know, pay attention.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ok, thanks. Operation Phantom Pup is a go then.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Kaubocks posted:

He also meets Young Roy Campbell, who spends most of the game incapacitated by disease.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try using a Fulton balloon on a Sheep. Then try very very hard not to laugh.

But can you recruit the sheep?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just want to know if you can recruit the bear. I want to ride it into battle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I just want to know if you can recruit the bear. I want to ride it into battle.

I want to train it in CQC.

http://tekken.wikia.com/wiki/Kuma

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The new Mad Max game got a lot of really pretty scenery. I often stop just to enjoy the view. Best part is that the devs put in a "capture mode" that you can use to take neat snapshots or videos. If you connect a second controller, a friend can control the camera while you play!

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

LawfulWaffle posted:

For a really terrible comparison, it'd be like reading The Hobbit but not The Lord of the Rings. It's good on it's own, but there's another layer of enjoyment to be found in knowing more about the characters and events that's not directly relevant to the story at hand.

I think it's more like reading LOTR before the Hobbit. All you really need to know is that some guy found a ring.

My favorite thing above all else in MGS5 is how well it plays. All the older ones had much clunkier controls and for the first time I'm really getting into the infiltration part of it.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

FutonForensic posted:

You can run into it just a few main missions in, at the start (possibly during?) of a mission. It might be possible to skip getting it completely, so, you know, pay attention.

Start of chapter three, choose the right most drop off point.

The cut scene that plays after...glorious.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite perverse little pleasure is you can punch your guys in Mother Base and they just salute with a "THANK YOU, SIR! :patriot:"

Visit Mother Base. Sprint into one of your soldiers, knocking him/her down.
"THANK YOU, SIR!"
Staff Morale Increased

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, so I punched out a bear and launched it into the sky on a balloon. That is a thing that happened.

Also I got the puppy. :kimchi:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

graybook posted:

Visit Mother Base. Sprint into one of your soldiers, knocking him/her down.
"THANK YOU, SIR!"
Staff Morale Increased

Same if you CQC them.

Its an honor to be held in your iron grip boss!

Staff Morale Increased!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mad Max is loving fun.
One thing I love is that they have Arkham style melee combat. However, Max is not an expert martial artist. If you block a strike coming to your back, Max will just clench up and do his best to absorb the blow.
It's feels very realistic and desperate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Little thing from MGS 5: The second upgrade for your portable everything-device adds speakers which allow you to play music and sounds (or I guess your log tapes if you're desperate) to draw enemies etc to your location. With the speakers off, all sound from outside is quieter and more muted because Big Boss listens to it internally- although it's not actually physically shown as headphones on his body like in Peace Walker. With the speakers on, outside sound isn't muted anymore!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I finally got around to playing Shadow of Mordor since it finally went on sale for like $15 with all the DLC and while everybody talked the Nemesis system to death when it first came out one thing I really appreciate about it is the pacing. Unlike a lot of open world games like Far Cry 3 that get long in the tooth because halfway through the game you've unlocked everything and run out of new content so the second map just feels like tedious filler they did a good job pacing the upgrades so even if you're a completionist you still have plenty to do and unlock by the time you get to the second area. And I know some people complained about putting something as game-changing as branding behind the story missions but it makes the Nemesis system fresh after getting your fill of it in the first map and seamlessly opens up an entirely new dimension to it right when you think you've mastered it and are starting to get bored, it's great.

Even the graphics help the pacing, after hours of running around an ashen grey wasteland getting lush green fields and a vibrant barnacle-encrusted seaside village to explore is refreshing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

Little thing from MGS 5: The second upgrade for your portable everything-device adds speakers which allow you to play music and sounds (or I guess your log tapes if you're desperate) to draw enemies etc to your location. With the speakers off, all sound from outside is quieter and more muted because Big Boss listens to it internally- although it's not actually physically shown as headphones on his body like in Peace Walker. With the speakers on, outside sound isn't muted anymore!

There's an actual use for the speakers - There is a cassette of a man in severe intestinal distress in an Outpost. Play it while inside a toilet and no-one is diligent enough to investigate.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's an actual use for the speakers - There is a cassette of a man in severe intestinal distress in an Outpost. Play it while inside a toilet and no-one is diligent enough to investigate.

There are also various language lullaby tapes that you can play out loud to make sleepy guards doze off.

You do have to use the right language lullaby though :v:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pound_Coin posted:

There are also various language lullaby tapes that you can play out loud to make sleepy guards doze off.

You do have to use the right language lullaby though :v:

This was a page ago in the thread but

LawfulWaffle posted:

you can also find a recording of a Soviet soldier saying "Enemy eliminated." If you are spotted, you can hide, turn on the speaker and play that clip, and nearby soldiers will think that you've been killed and call off the search. I need to mess around with it more, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I found an old Final Fantasy Anthology for PS1 in the local game shop and decided to play through it. I started playing Final Fantasy V (the one with Bartz) and right at the beginning Bartz meets a princess and some old man. They're on their way to The Wind Shrine to see why the wind has stopped and invite Bartz to come along with them and he replies "nah I'm all right thanks" and leaves. Later when Bartz decides to go with them he says it's because the wind told him to and the old guy responds "liar, you clearly just have the hots for the girl". I thought they were both nice little pokes at typical fantasy set ups.

Wait till you see the enemy "yburn". Fun enough gba has even better banter between the characters. The sage is funny as hell in that translation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lady Naga posted:

All the relevant stuff from GZ is summarized in the first chapter.

Good because I didn't actually like Ground Zeroes enough to get into it, but V is sounding more intriguing.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

GTAV's newest car the Progen T20 is a loving great car. What else is awesome is the spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC-2W_a6jE4

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

FredMSloniker posted:

But can you recruit the sheep?

"Hey boss... Let me introduce the D-Sheep!" Cut to: A sheep with an eyepatch.

skeeballcore
Mar 17, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

Chronological:

Snatcher

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Inzombiac posted:

Mad Max is loving fun.
One thing I love is that they have Arkham style melee combat. However, Max is not an expert martial artist. If you block a strike coming to your back, Max will just clench up and do his best to absorb the blow.
It's feels very realistic and desperate.

Yeah, and I love that they keep ammo scarce. Your shotgun is a last resort "get out of jail free" card, not a primary weapon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is kind of silly that some camps have insignia you can only reach with the gun, but no ammo in them at all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I just figured out that you can upload your own mp3 music in MGSV. Not only does this mean that you can play it on the tape player, but blaring on the helicopter's speakers as it comes in to land, or goes on an attack run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4qS2VbPO6k