Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
self checkout is unpaid labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaggar posted:

the new ones are superior because they offer far far more variety and its very easy to track and change the cartridges. they're also internet connected so you could probably even pay the coke guy to come by and swap them out for you when needed

shaggar finally recognizes the superiority of IOS (Internet Of Syrups)

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

quote:

Memegen is Google’s internal meme creation app.

i hate literally all of this

(also the casual transphobia but then he identifies himself as the most right wing googler so shocker)

Vicas fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 3, 2015

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Triglav posted:

self checkout is unpaid labor

the trade off is the faster speed of the self checkout.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
they dont have self checkout at trader joes or the jons market or the 99c store. immersion ruined.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
self checkout is only faster if the store is understaffed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

there is no such thing as intuitive in UX design. a designer simply cannot count on the end-user being able to intuitively use something, because the end user does not have the same level of experience, or familiarity, or assumptions of how things work. they have to design for the typical end user's ability and comprehension, not their own. if a self-checkout is confusing or difficult to use, it doesn't matter that a person is dumb, it's the fault of the designer
it's not always the designer's fault [it could just as easily be lack of willingness on the org to invest in ux or just laziness] but it's definitely the fault of the retailer for accepting a bad product in the first place

Shaggar posted:

so I guess we just cant assume people understand the basic components of a checkout transaction like paying for things or taking the things you bought with you.
think about how much trouble people have with the existing system like not hitting the debit/credit button or forgetting to sign, then add scanning and bagging on top of that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I stopped reading the article during the parenthetical rant about loving TRANNYS in the first paragraph

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Shaggar posted:

so I guess we just cant assume people understand the basic components of a checkout transaction like paying for things or taking the things you bought with you.

Shaggar posted:

despite the machine telling you how to pay for things and to take your items with you.

the terminals should just run ios

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

it's not always the designer's fault [it could just as easily be lack of willingness on the org to invest in ux or just laziness] but it's definitely the fault of the retailer for accepting a bad product in the first place

think about how much trouble people have with the existing system like not hitting the debit/credit button or forgetting to sign, then add scanning and bagging on top of that

i think the big problem s that the card swiper is a normal opne attached liked a dongle and not built into the touchscrteen the user is already interacting with.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

theflyingexecutive posted:

banksy has a whole shell corporation that verifies and certifies banksy artwork
HOLY poo poo HOW SUBVERSIVE
:cripes:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Triglav posted:

VC funding rounds every nine months

apparently their only revenue is the interest in their customer money bank accounts

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

users, especially ones in a rush or using an unfamiliar system, can usually only handle about 2-3 pieces of information being asked of them at a time

every self checkout i've been at has like 40 buttons (only 1 or 2 of which 99% of users ever press) on it's root menu and possibly vague wording/phrasing about why it's angry i put something on the tray

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

apparently their only revenue is the interest in their customer money bank accounts

#DividendLife

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
https://twitter.com/mitchellbyars/status/639191317755510784

Local police scanner:

quote:

"Respond to Google. Someone just fell off their rock climbing wall. Conscious, breathing"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Necc0 posted:

HOLY poo poo HOW SUBVERSIVE
:cripes:

my favorite banksy stunt was when they sold (unbranded) original banksys outside of the met with all the other vendors and sold literally two pieces. i believe they considered it a success

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

point of sale systems are so bad but there's only a few vendors

target [aka the reason we have chip cards in the first place] has new chip card readers that make a buzzing noise that sounds like an error on a successful transaction

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

because it forces you to look away from your phone for a second and realize you've left your card in the machine

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

touch screens should not be in any ui that needs to be handled by a person who may have damp hands (like for example, if you spill any coke/liquid/etc). they suck at dealing with any moisture on your hands and start freaking out. when i was working for pizzahut, it had touchscreen registers which were a pain in the rear end while i was trying to wash dishes. if my hands were not completely bone dry, the touchscreen would start loving up my entries

afaik the coke freestyle machines use the old kind of touchscreen that detects pressure, not the new style that detects the electrical potential of your finger and fucks up like crazy if wet. that introduces problems of its own though, because you actually have to press hard on the buttons for an old style touchscreen to detect it, and smartphones have trained people to just lightly tap things instead

ux is tough and most people great it like an afterthought

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

that and there's a two second lag on presses

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Vicas posted:

(also the casual transphobia but then he identifies himself as the most right wing googler so shocker)
in his most recent post he identifies himself as a "social justice disbeliever"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Vicas posted:

i got a badge this week for a meme with over 100 upvotes with a joke i lifted from yospos. thospos. :mrgw:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The_Groove posted:

https://twitter.com/mitchellbyars/status/639191317755510784

Local police scanner:

quote:

"Respond to Google. Someone just fell off their rock climbing wall. Conscious, breathing"

why dont they just put the rock wall over the ball pit?

porblem solved

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Malloc Voidstar posted:

in his most recent post he identifies himself as a "social justice disbeliever"

maybe his job is interfacing with that other dude over at mozilla

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Sniep posted:

why dont they just put the rock wall over the ball pit?

porblem solved

cool now climbers can contract various venereal diseases whilst breaking every bone in their body

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the gym at my workplace has a rock wall uh treadmill like thing? infinite rock wall? and were definitely not tech bubbly. doesnt seem that weird tbh

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i got a badge this week for a meme

what

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i got a badge this week for a meme with over 100 upvotes with a joke i lifted from yospos. thospos. :mrgw:

what

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i wonder if this will be covered by workers comp or insurance (probably not)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

the gym at my workplace has a rock wall uh treadmill like thing? infinite rock wall? and were definitely not tech bubbly. doesnt seem that weird tbh

no, yeah, that's weird.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

'yer bubblin

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

gamify your google employment with epic memes

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

DolphinCop posted:

cool now climbers can contract various venereal diseases whilst breaking every bone in their body

how are they gonna break a bone falling into a ball pit???

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

no, yeah, that's weird.

oh, didnt realize :goleft:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
point of sale usability flaws are much simpler than that. there's the fact that doing something so audacious as bringing your own bag completely stymies the system and requires intervention from a staff member, the completely unsignposted weight-measurement state machine which obstructs all progress unless you have figured out how it works and dance in time with it

or the fact that the slots where things come out of the machine are all over the place (vouchers at the top right, receipts directly below the PIN keypad where they can't be seen, coins somewhere around knee height)

or that the software which prompts you to select a payment type and then, when you put your card in the machine, prompts you to select "Card" instead of automatically selecting "Card" itself, (AKA the "Simon Says" interface)

just because something can be used doesn't mean it's not garbage, see also your operating system

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
a work gym with a rock wall is definitely a nice work gym

the place i work now has a nice work gym with a squat rack and real barbells and dumbbells up to 120lbs but i have seen a lot of office gyms and apartment complex gyms that only have some weak rear end machines and a couple dumbbells up to 60 lbs or so, presumably for insurance reasons

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

what was the joke? please sned the joke

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

how have you been here this long and still have any sort of interest in memes

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

oh, didnt realize :goleft:

living-in-a-bubble.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

i think the big problem s that the card swiper is a normal opne attached liked a dongle and not built into the touchscrteen the user is already interacting with.

*hits credit/debit on screen*

*moves over to card swipe, hits credit/debit there*

• Locked thread