Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Donald I'm not sure this is the right move for you politically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i mean theres a lot of other things that are silly about that argument but i think that ones pretty funny tbh

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

You don't get it and can argue that it's about nothing until you're blue in the face; it doesn't matter if it's indeed ultimately about nothing if it ends up tanking her campaign. That makes is very, very real and something to be dealt with, not ignored as a "nutjob rant" lol.

As I said, unless something concrete is found, then by this time next year only conservative nutjobs will be ranting about it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The X-man cometh posted:

"I don't know how Reagan won, nobody I know voted for him"

Nixon

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doctor Butts posted:

As I said, unless something concrete is found, then by this time next year only conservative nutjobs will be ranting about it.

Potential downside: there may be a lot more of those than you would think. For example, Trump is a birther.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Back on the trail with Jeb... Feel the energy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvkBFWd7zYA

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Dude, it's been a "scandal" that no one has given a gently caress about that's been going on for six months now, shows no signs of letting up, is dominating her news cycles, and is having an actual, deleterious effect on her support .

You don't get it and can argue that it's about nothing until you're blue in the face; it doesn't matter if it's indeed ultimately about nothing if it ends up tanking her campaign. That makes is very, very real and something to be dealt with, not ignored as a "nutjob rant" lol.
Even if there's nothing there, it's taking the air out of her campaign.

My mom is a Bernie Sanders supporter who is mad at Clinton not so much because of what she did but because of her response to the scandal.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 22, 2016

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

JT Jag posted:

My mom is a Bernie Sanders supporter who is mad at Clinton not so much because of what she did but because of her response to the scandal.

"What, like with a cloth" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "teehee"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Montasque posted:

Back on the trail with Jeb... Feel the energy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvkBFWd7zYA

this video is hilarious

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I've just watched one of Carson's speeches and if Trump wants to win the nomination, he needs to come out with something strong in the coming days. Otherwise the GOP will nominate Carson and it wouldn't be a bad decision at all.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Narciss posted:

Did it ever occur to you that maybe most Republican voters aren't racists

No.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
News: Donald Trump reaches all time high, 30%+ support in field of 17 for the past 3 months!
Goons: He's gonna flame out any day now!

*IF* Trump flames out, I don't think it will be a quick explosion like we saw in 2012 with the rise and fall of the not Romneys. I think it will be a slow burn with his support gradually trickling out to other candidates, and Rubio eventually taking the lead. The only conceivable way I could see Trump failing is if the voters get tired of his bad-boy renegade antics and eventually settle on the boring "serious" candidate that their mother met at the church and tried to set up a date with. That would eventually cause the news to cover other candidates more and Trump less.

Of course that's a big *IF* and as of now I think Trump's larger than life personality might go the distance as he gradually releases actual policy statements. Everyone here who can, should vote Trump in the primary, if for no other reason to watch the parade of broken GOP spirits endorse Trump for president, just like the pledge said.

Let's make America great again!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blattdorf posted:

I've just watched one of Carson's speeches and if Trump wants to win the nomination, he needs to come out with something strong in the coming days. Otherwise the GOP will nominate Carson and it wouldn't be a bad decision at all.

What exactly impressed you about Carson's speech

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014

Blattdorf posted:

"president carson" has such a pleasant ring to it i could definitely see it

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

jerk1000 posted:

"president carson" has such a pleasant ring to it i could definitely see it

It's kind of a shame his political views are so out there, he seems like such a mellow & talented guy. Then he comes out with something like "triple the drone bombings" or "outlaw all abortion" in a still-mellow tone.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
My father is a racist republican and last time I asked him he said he supported Carson. Not even for any particular reason I think, its just the way the winds are blowin'.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

EugeneJ posted:

What exactly impressed you about Carson's speech

He sounds like a Trump lite plus more Bible. He even talked more about the debt than Trump, though not by a lot.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

The Nastier Nate posted:

News: Donald Trump reaches all time high, 30%+ support in field of 17 for the past 3 months!

*IF* Trump flames out, I don't think it will be a quick explosion like we saw in 2012 with the rise and fall of the not Romneys. I think it will be a slow burn with his support gradually trickling out to other candidates, and Rubio eventually taking the lead. The only conceivable way I could see Trump failing is if the voters get tired of his bad-boy renegade antics and eventually settle on the boring "serious" candidate that their mother met at the church and tried to set up a date with. That would eventually cause the news to cover other candidates more and Trump less.

Of course that's a big *IF* and as of now I think Trump's larger than life personality might go the distance as he gradually releases actual policy statements. Everyone here who can, should vote Trump in the primary, if for no other reason to watch the parade of broken GOP spirits endorse Trump for president, just like the pledge said.

I'm pretty excited to see just how many Americans have zero confidence in our government when the general rolls around.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Narciss posted:

And yet I've encountered more leftists in this thread saying "Browns" than I ever have in real life.

That's because conservatives say way, way nastier things than browns lol

Also narciss-.-lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Carson is the only republican candidate who actually seems to be christian.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Baloogan posted:

Carson is the only republican candidate who actually seems to be christian.

Kasich accepted that Medicaid expansion because heaven.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Aliquid posted:

Kasich accepted that Medicaid expansion because heaven.

Kasich does not subscribe to the doctrine of gently caress You Got Mine, and is thus a heretic.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

EugeneJ posted:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/09/2016-general-election-match-ups-close.html GOP establishment's only hope is an evil black guy who they can use to dupe the population into thinking he's Obama II. It will happen.

Leave it to the guy with the Communist Jew avatar representing "progressive populism but u know not the racist kind like Trump is doing" to be the one using loaded terms like "evil" and "black guy" together to refer to a world-renowned neurosurgeon who has spent his entire providing healthcare in cities like Baltimore and Detroit after being raised by highly religious Southern parents. Like many black.. or any color really.. Americans who go on to become successful after growing up dirt poor in any number of America's horrible cities, Detroit in Carson's case, he had the military, religion, education, and his parents as anchors while surely many of his friends and peers growing up were selling heroin, smoking crack, shooting handguns at each other and police as street soldiers in gangs that provide all the drugs and guns to these communities in the first place, and Carson went on to be a surgeon working in Detroit for 30 years so he probably saw victims of shootings and crap every day. In fact, his life story is much more typical of an "African-American" than Obama's who was raised with overwhelming "white privilege" as people like to say nowdays. People who grow up in slums but end up successful after decades of hard work and pop up on Fox News here and there probably can't believe they survived growing up in the first place, and often give religion, law enforcement, etc a lot of credit. Yet even black people get called racist for talking about what they did as a poor black person to become successful, this is so commonplace with "left-wing people" nowadays it blows my genuinely left-wing mind.

"If a white person talks about personal responsibility and bootstraps, they're dog whistling racism. Therefore when a black (or Hispanic like Ted Cruz) person explains their life story hoping it could help somebody growing up feeling like they have no future but death or jail, they too are simply lying racist shills for their White Republican Masters, because I'm a blowhard left wing douchebag that is intellectually incapable of engaging with points of view that make me question my own prejudices! After all, Black Republicans aren't REAL black people, so it's okay for me to think of them as stupid niggers!" People honestly seem to believe that when a minority like Ted Cruz or Ben Carson talks about how having two loving parents instead of fathers who are alcoholics, deadbeats, life in jail or dead or whatever excuses lovely selfish people make to not raise their own kids, Ted Cruz's father was like this himself before he became a born-again Christian and reunited with the young sad and scared Cruz and his mother, they simply get dismissed as racist. Nothing about their personal stories or experiences is even understood by 99 percent of "white liberal douchebags" also known as "SJWs" in certain circles. Ya'll a joke

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Pavlov posted:

My father is a racist republican and last time I asked him he said he supported Carson. Not even for any particular reason I think, its just the way the winds are blowin'.

See, I'm thinking that at the moment the most likely nominees are Carson, Rubio and Trump in no particular order. Rubio is the least broken establishment candidate, Carson's getting a head of steam going and Trump is Trump.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Smoothrich posted:

Leave it to the guy with the Communist Jew avatar representing "progressive populism but u know not the racist kind like Trump is doing" to be the one using loaded terms like "evil" and "black guy" together to refer to a world-renowned neurosurgeon who has spent his entire providing healthcare in cities like Baltimore and Detroit after being raised by highly religious Southern parents. Like many black.. or any color really.. Americans who go on to become successful after growing up dirt poor in any number of America's horrible cities, Detroit in Carson's case, he had the military, religion, education, and his parents as anchors while surely many of his friends and peers growing up were selling heroin, smoking crack, shooting handguns at each other and police as street soldiers in gangs that provide all the drugs and guns to these communities in the first place, and Carson went on to be a surgeon working in Detroit for 30 years so he probably saw victims of shootings and crap every day. In fact, his life story is much more typical of an "African-American" than Obama's who was raised with overwhelming "white privilege" as people like to say nowdays. People who grow up in slums but end up successful after decades of hard work and pop up on Fox News here and there probably can't believe they survived growing up in the first place, and often give religion, law enforcement, etc a lot of credit. Yet even black people get called racist for talking about what they did as a poor black person to become successful, this is so commonplace with "left-wing people" nowadays it blows my genuinely left-wing mind.

"If a white person talks about personal responsibility and bootstraps, they're dog whistling racism. Therefore when a black (or Hispanic like Ted Cruz) person explains their life story hoping it could help somebody growing up feeling like they have no future but death or jail, they too are simply lying racist shills for their White Republican Masters, because I'm a blowhard left wing douchebag that is intellectually incapable of engaging with points of view that make me question my own prejudices! After all, Black Republicans aren't REAL black people, so it's okay for me to think of them as stupid niggers!" People honestly seem to believe that when a minority like Ted Cruz or Ben Carson talks about how having two loving parents instead of fathers who are alcoholics, deadbeats, life in jail or dead or whatever excuses lovely selfish people make to not raise their own kids, Ted Cruz's father was like this himself before he became a born-again Christian and reunited with the young sad and scared Cruz and his mother, they simply get dismissed as racist. Nothing about their personal stories or experiences is even understood by 99 percent of "white liberal douchebags" also known as "SJWs" in certain circles. Ya'll a joke

this post has everything, its art

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Xenophon posted:

Meanwhile

Mike Huckabee: "Legalize it, man!"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Smoothrich posted:

After all, Black Republicans aren't REAL black people, so it's okay for me to think of them as stupid niggers!" People honestly seem to believe that when a minority like Ted Cruz or Ben Carson talks about how having two loving parents instead of fathers who are alcoholics, deadbeats, life in jail or dead or whatever excuses lovely selfish people make to not raise their own kids, Ted Cruz's father was like this himself before he became a born-again Christian and reunited with the young sad and scared Cruz and his mother, they simply get dismissed as racist.

Yes, liberals are the real racists.

Good one.

Embrace your black figurehead who will fight for greed and strip away welfare from the impoverished.

But yeah, Jesus said to do it so that makes it alright.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
Trump is giving a "major press conference" right now: http://www.periscope.tv/w/aLiDwjEyMzE3NDF8MWxQSnFyb1JaUGV4YvTDyhu_D_t2nnlOmHj4wyKMQmeA1cW2aHUlpTv_oPos

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

"It's a little bit sad. He was supposed to win and he just doesn't have the energy." - Trump talking about Jeb!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
Have my take on Carson, I'll be taking a second to edit it in from my post history:

quote:

It would be ironic, but sort of quixotically charming, if Carson gains support to some degree because Republicans may have hosed up ideas about race, but they really really don't like to think of themselves as racist.

I could totally see, oh, 10-15% of Republicans choosing a Black man who they see as honestly sharing their worldview over someone who is rapidly attracting the vocally racist wing of the party. Especially if there's some repressed guilt about the rhetoric about Obama (who I imagine they can't wait to fondly remember) from the same parties. Carson could easily fill the role of Jimmy Carter (who believe it or not was elected on the strength of his religious appeal to the Evangelical vote) meets the person they like to remember Martin Luther King Jr as. He's already got a firm base among the evangelicals, and once they've decided someone is one of them, they're basically voting for Jesus and not the candidate anyhow.

If it happens, I imagine the infighting will be viscous in the primaries (albeit with a large contingent sitting behind other candidates as an acceptable neutral choice). I could see a losing Trump side warming up to and embracing that narrative quite quickly.

I could also see the establishment flocking to him. He'd be a lot easier to influence than Trump.

Note that this is a castle in the clouds. Also the Evangelicals turned on Carter like a pack of rabid dogs the moment he seemed weak, and Trump is good at making people look weak.

Also, assuming that anyone posting in this thread is on the left is pretty naive; this whole forum exists to sop up shitposting.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 3, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Conservatives are more mentally disturbed than racist I think it's all related.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I really don't think Carson's popularity is about race at all. It's about him being REALLY NICE and REALLY CHRISTIAN. He's the anti-Trump.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Winkie01 posted:

"It's a little bit sad. He was supposed to win and he just doesn't have the energy." - Trump talking about Jeb!

fuckin' lol. His one man hate-parade against Bush is making this election season so rich.

Anyways:

Do it, Donald. The gloves are off.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
Republicans aren't so much racists as they are really bad at not being racists.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Nastier Nate posted:

In the last few cycles there have been several choices for the nutbars while only a couple at best for the establishment. This cycle every possible wing of the Republican party has at least a couple guys they can call their own running. As a result, everyone's power is diffused. Thus Trump reigns supreme in the summer when polls are of registered voters and he can bask in the bright light of the unengaged. He's entertaining, and shines bright like a glistening golden sun in the news. None can hope to gain the eye of the public with boring positions and concrete plans.

There is no room to grow as all of the votes of people who've shown up to the Iowa Caucus for the last half century are split. Candidates jockeying for position try and out Trump Trump, angering Trump supporters and causing their existing supporters to flee the insanity. However this golden summer will not last. As Winter comes Trumps lock on the polls will wain with stricter limits on the sample and people actually tuning in for actual politics. Summer is the care free time for the fickle masses to gleefully clap as Nero fiddles, Winter is the time for them to look away from the boredom of politics toward things more important to them. For that is the time of the playoffs, and not even The Trump can hope to compete with the juggernaut twins of the NFL and NCAA for attention.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

Conservatives are more mentally disturbed than racist I think it's all related.

Universal healthcare would mean more crazies would seek treatment and ultimately shoot less people

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Xenophon posted:

fuckin' lol. His one man hate-parade against Bush is making this election season so rich.

Anyways:

Do it, Donald. The gloves are off.

Is that real? That's going to get under Trump's skin I bet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

EugeneJ posted:

Universal healthcare would mean more crazies would seek treatment and ultimately shoot less people

Not accounting for Death Panels :tinfoil: Maybe if we elect Hillary, we can get the X-Files back on TV.

Finally, a reason to be enthusiastic about H-dawg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Hodgepodge posted:

Not accounting for Death Panels :tinfoil: Maybe if we elect Hillary, we can get the X-Files back on TV.

Obama's already got you covered.

• Locked thread