Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerStreak
Jun 27, 2005

The day the snow turned to rain?

sigma 6 posted:

PowerStreak: Cinema4d is actually great for motion graphics and VJ work. I wish I knew it as well as I know maya.

Oh yeah I love the program, it's incredible, I'm just currently in the "Making garbage" phase of learning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

sigma 6 posted:

SVU Fan: Nice work. Will you be polypainting it?

Whoops, my post wasn't clear at all. I already textured it, and baked all the maps out. They're in the marmoset viewer link. Here's a shoddy Marmoset render of it too:

concept:

decimated high poly:

marmoset render with all maps baked. ~34k tris for the whole character minus the weapon:

marmoset viewer with all the game-y stuff:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rift-storm-legion-fan-art

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PowerStreak posted:

, I'm just currently in the "Making garbage" phase of learning it.

my life

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

sigma 6 posted:

I have also heard 2016 is incredibly unstable. Take that for what you will.

Speaking of bugs. Has anyone else had any problems with Viewport 2.0 crashing in Maya 2015? I worked all day yesterday on files which won't load today and crash immediately on loading. The error given has to do with viewport 2.0. Luckily, the scene seems to load in 2014 without problems. Weird.

PowerStreak: Cinema4d is actually great for motion graphics and VJ work. I wish I knew it as well as I know maya.

SVU Fan: Nice work. Will you be polypainting it?

I don't know what would cause or solve that, but you could try switching to the directX 11 or the OpenGL viewport 2.0, I don't know if that makes it more stable or less stable. It seems to run out of video memory pretty quickly for me. I imagine that has to be the hardest thing to maintain, since anything to do with supporting a million video cards usually is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Spent an afternoon and evening at Pixar. It's pretty nuts there.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Pictures?! What did you do?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I work on Disney Infinity, so I was there to help demo the game at a kind of "thank you Inside Out team" event. Also they had a company all hands meeting and a beer night at the same time so there was much happenings. Lasseter, Brad Bird, Catmull, Pete Doctor, and Pete Sohn just wandering around.

The campus and facilities are ridiculous to say the least. There are... a lot of bars in there too. Bar hopped a bit and got an after-hours tour of most of the not closed set areas. Rode a random scooter around their preproduction building (because ya know, it's Pixar and there were occasional scooters just laying around). Saw the Inside Out and Good Dinosaur art galleries. So much amazing art and sculptures that were all so mind blowing. It's a pretty special place, you can tell. I'll post a couple photos later tonight.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SVU Fan posted:

Whoops, my post wasn't clear at all. I already textured it, and baked all the maps out. They're in the marmoset viewer link. Here's a shoddy Marmoset render of it too:

concept:

decimated high poly:

marmoset render with all maps baked. ~34k tris for the whole character minus the weapon:

marmoset viewer with all the game-y stuff:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rift-storm-legion-fan-art

You're missing a ton of the rich color that is in the concept that makes him so interesting. While some of that may be brought back in with a better lighting scenario, you might want to try working a lot more color into him. He's got these rich purples and blues all over but your guy is mostly white, and you've even desaturated the firey horns and the mandrill-style blue/red face coloration.

e: looking at the mesh, you're floating his teeth and his rocky arm bits through the mesh and I don't think those are going to deform nicely if you rig - they're going to float and slide a little bit. You might want to stitch them to the underlying mesh.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 30, 2015

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

You can do floating meshes pretty easy with just using Maya's geodesic skinning. It works pretty well, and the tweaks you need to do probably won't affect the arms anyway, so they should deform like they're stuck on there.

EDIT: It does look like that would gently caress up a bit around the shoulders actually, maybe especially in the middle of the shoulder blades/neck area. It may turn out okay, it may not, if it doesn't it'd be a bit of a pain to fix, but nothing too crazy maybe.

EDIT2: That 3D viewer on artstation is pretty great, as is your model, it's amazing, and I love the detail in the maps and all that. Is this for a game or any sort of project?

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 30, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Sigma-X posted:

You're missing a ton of the rich color that is in the concept that makes him so interesting. While some of that may be brought back in with a better lighting scenario, you might want to try working a lot more color into him. He's got these rich purples and blues all over but your guy is mostly white, and you've even desaturated the firey horns and the mandrill-style blue/red face coloration.

e: looking at the mesh, you're floating his teeth and his rocky arm bits through the mesh and I don't think those are going to deform nicely if you rig - they're going to float and slide a little bit. You might want to stitch them to the underlying mesh.

Agreed, also defining those veins a bit more, they seem darker in the original, some emissive on the horns could possibly help too, awesome work though!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Megaspel posted:

I don't know what would cause or solve that, but you could try switching to the directX 11 or the OpenGL viewport 2.0, I don't know if that makes it more stable or less stable. It seems to run out of video memory pretty quickly for me. I imagine that has to be the hardest thing to maintain, since anything to do with supporting a million video cards usually is.

Turns out it was a piece of corrupted geometry. No idea why however. Ended up just remodeling it and everything is fine now. Heard a few other people raving about the improvements in Maya 2016. Maybe it is time to give it a go. GoZ is not a huge part of my pipeline but is very convenient, I will admit.

Watched this livestream yesterday and was really impressed by a lot of the work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwewR7snCIM

Forgot how great Max's modeling was. I always preferred Maya, but there is no doubt about how fast modeling is in Max. Bruno really shows off some good stuff at the end.

As far as Cinema 4D goes. Can someone tell me why VJs prefer Cinema 4D so much? I have never used it, but I am curious why it is preferred for that kind of work. I know one VJ who works for Carl Cox. He started out in Cinema 4D, learned Maya (and got pretty good at it), and then switched right back to Cinema 4D.

mutata: That is very, very cool. Pixar is an ENORMOUS part of Emeryville's economy at this point. Do you, or anyone else, have any opinions on "Pixar in a box". Looks pretty cool.

https://www.khanacademy.org/partner-content/pixar/start

EDIT: Maya 2015 has crashed a number of times today. I guess maybe it is really time to upgrade. Didn't I read earlier in the thread to only trust the even versions? Weird.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 30, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This was the best photo I got while I was at Pixarf.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

A little shrine built in Maya and Zbrush. Based loosely on an old lighting exercise.

C&C welcome.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

A little shrine built in Maya and Zbrush. Based loosely on an old lighting exercise.

C&C welcome.

I don't have anything to say besides, that's wicked rad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I find it odd because the guys in the photo are japanese but the teaware is chinese.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I find it odd because the guys in the photo are japanese but the teaware is chinese.

Never heard of Chinese Japanophiles?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah - I had a few different photos I was considering. One was this one:
http://ziegfeldfollies.deviantart.com/art/Female-Samurai-1800-s-485980529

The issue is either change the photo or change the tea set. Easier to change the photo at this point. I liked the look of the old samurai photos but you are right. I am mixing and matching some here. The buddha statue is from Japan, the tea set and background from China, and the prayer beads from Turkey.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 31, 2015

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Megaspel posted:

Never heard of Chinese Japanophiles?

Jinese.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Did zbrush ever have a free option? I thought it did, but it's only up for license fees right now. poo poo sucks when I wanted to work on stuff for classes :(

If not, are there any free or cheap choices of 3d modeling programs?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 1, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blender, Sculptris, Google Sketchup

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

sigma 6 posted:

C&C welcome.

I see the Buddha and a teapot. Where's the dragon?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

pandaK posted:

Did zbrush ever have a free option? I thought it did, but it's only up for license fees right now. poo poo sucks when I wanted to work on stuff for classes :(

If not, are there any free or cheap choices of 3d modeling programs?

If you're a student as it sounds, you can get free 3-year educational licenses of the Autodesk 3D programs - Max, Maya, Softimage and Mudbox. So no ZBrush, but Mudbox is a pretty decent alternative for the price. It's really easy to sign up, so take a look.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mutata posted:

This was the best photo I got while I was at Pixarf.

Nice, they actually let you inside the campus to tour? Or you worked there?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I work for Disney Interactive on Disney Infinity. We do a lot of video game work for Pixar properties and I was there to demo the game at a thank you event. We have a pretty cool relationship with them that's developed over the years.

After the event we got some of the on-campus bars and got an after hours tour and checked out the Inside Out and Good Dinosaur art galleries.

mutata fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 2, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Double post because I finally got some Infinity 3/Inside Out screenshots and a reel ready to post!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU2NTL_RoA8

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I can't really follow something like that up, haha, but I made a thing!

Also A video!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

OK. Swapped out the photo. Still not sure I am happy with it but I need to move on to other projects. Chinese now instead of Japanese.

Another alternate:

Which photo works better?

What happened to Maya?

:stare:

2016 is very different. They have completely changed the rendering settings! Mental ray has to be downloaded separately?!? Maybe it is time to switch to VRay or Arnold. People say Arnold is really fast now that it is GPU enabled.

Here is a quick scan of a 1932 Chevy.

mutata: Looks like that was a lot of fun to make.

Music Theory: What dragon?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 4, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blender and Luxrender

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

sigma 6 posted:

Music Theory: What dragon?

I think he's referring to the dragon from the Stanford scanning library.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Cyne posted:

I think he's referring to the dragon from the Stanford scanning library.

Yeah.

(I may have been mistaken about a Buddha statue being a test model; I saw someone use one as a test model on their blog along with the Utah Teapot and Stanford Dragon, so I assumed it must also be a standard test model.)

PowerStreak
Jun 27, 2005

The day the snow turned to rain?
Learning to integrate Illustrator and Cinema 4D and when they work together it is loving amazing. Granted this isn't that complex but in about half an hour as I was able to recreate the Grafitti Soul from Jet Set Radio 1 with ease:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

sigma 6 posted:

People say Arnold is really fast now that it is GPU enabled.

Hmm? I am not sure how Arnold is GPU enabled. It is still a fully CPU renderer.

I would recommend downloading a demo of Redshift for maya if you are in the market for a REALLY fast renderer.

https://www.redshift3d.com/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna play around with Brigade 3.0 real time path tracing. drat son

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

echinopsis posted:

I wanna play around with Brigade 3.0 real time path tracing. drat son

I remember seeing some of the demos back in '12 (actually it's what convinced me to try out Octane), and the quality and scale of the newest stuff is just astonishing in comparison.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Wow, I hadn't heard about Brigade before. That is really impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpT6MkCeP7Y

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Imo they do a thing where they start from black when any motion is involed which gives the noise but they should use old frames, instead of resolving from black they resolve from old frame but a bit of frame blur on minor moves would be far superior then any movement frame looking exttremely noisy

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Quixel Suite 2.0 revealed! Free update from 1.0 too. Looks sooo good :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugVuyCXjss&hd=1

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I've been championing Quixel for a long time in the office. 2.0 looks loving awesome!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Finally found some time to fool around with my old Dalek model

GGX microfacet errthang, errday

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Still trying to get used to how different Maya 2016 is. Modeling has definitely improved a lot though. Also, I like the improvements to the hypershade (combining it with the node editor).

Added a crank to the joker and tweaked the lighting and materials a bit.

One more before calling it a night:

Top render was a little over 5 minutes and the bottom render was a little over an hour. Render settings are going to take some getting used to.

keyframe: Thank you for the tip. Guess I was wrong about the GPU thing.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 8, 2015