Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Phyresis posted:

anti-"WAAC" players in a nutshell
comp is for salty babies

Comp is basically people thinking they can balance the game, by making whole bunch of new imbalances. Like, your typical cheesy Eldar list with a shitload of jetbikes, a wraithknight, and some warp spiders would score really well in that comp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Master Twig posted:

Comp is basically people thinking they can balance the game, by making whole bunch of new imbalances. Like, your typical cheesy Eldar list with a shitload of jetbikes, a wraithknight, and some warp spiders would score really well in that comp.

The tends to take some liberties with his score sheet. For example I took a lot of flakk for bringing a pod list with Grav-Cents a few months back. Honestly, looking at it I didn't realize you can how purchase the Lascannon and Missile Launchers together on Dev. Centurions for the same price as Grav-Cannons. When you think about it that is actually a pretty good deal, normal Devastator Marines can't carry that amount of firepower in a single squad, and to match it would be just as expensive but less mobile.

You can still just bring whatever the gently caress you want to the tournament and still win the General spot, you are just going to receive a lot of crap for bringing a gimmick list to an 8 man loving tournament is all, so I understand his attitude. I just didn't think 3 Grav-Cents in a pod was really game breaking, my opponents had all sorts of cheese Necron stuff. Half the time podding in wasnt even in my favor and I just had them sit at the back to avoid Wraiths, or whatever else...

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 3, 2015

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
people who cry about cheesy poo poo in 40k are generally not very good at the game, it's textbook Dunning-Kruger. their perception of what is overpowered is skewed as hell. there are a lot of rock-scissors-paper hard counters in this game due to the way that unit design has evolved over the years and everyone focuses on the things that counter their favored list. it's a community full of chicken littles who basically can't hack it in an actually well-designed game system

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Warseer?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Phyresis posted:

people who cry about cheesy poo poo in 40k are generally not very good at the game, it's textbook Dunning-Kruger. their perception of what is overpowered is skewed as hell. there are a lot of rock-scissors-paper hard counters in this game due to the way that unit design has evolved over the years and everyone focuses on the things that counter their favored list. it's a community full of chicken littles who basically can't hack it in an actually well-designed game system

Never the less I am still going to try and make a more balanced force, it'd be nice to change up the way I play, and it isn't like the stuff I put down on the list are bad by any stretch of the imagination. I am growing a little weary of taking Librarians every game, and if it balances out in the end by giving me a better Composition score it can't hurt to much. I might not have anything gimmicky on the list, but it doesn't strike me as a weak showing, and it has a good deal of Obj Secured, and if my Marines have taught me anything it is that they are tenacious, and if you just want to be annoying and sit on Objectives it isn't a bad strategy.

With my final 130ish points I have several options:
Venrable Dreadnaught/Regular Dreadnaught
StormTalon
Stalkers?
Land Speeders?

I am leaning Dreadnaught simply because it has Obj Sec, and might provide a good rear line holder.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ya that wasn't directed at you, your lists are generally cool and good. seems like you have enough obsec in the list already, i like the stormtalon but i'm biased because i think the model looks great.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Funny thing is, every single tournament I've seen since the start of 6th edition has attempted to do some kind of comp. This is usually done with detachment restrictions. Every single one I see puts restrictions on how your army can be built. I would just once like to see a tournament that allows army building exactly as the rulebook allows. Take as many detachments/formations/allies as you want. It would be interesting to see what shows up. But I imagine that you wouldn't get much that's too much crazier than what we see even with the restrictions. Hell, with Imperium armies, they're practically designed to work that way. Hell, Knights, Inquisition and Assassins can be a single model.

I get why they use the restrictions. It's an attempt at balance. But the game isn't balanced anyway. A single Eldar CAD is just as, if not more powerful, than even the most patched together group of detachments. So I say gently caress it. Take what you want.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Phyresis posted:

I've missed you. :glomp:

Our super noobie who I roflstomped a few weeks ago with skyhammer/pods (I didn't have a weaker list with me) and got him to play BC finally got a real win against my roommates GT winning Demonkin/demons dawgrush. Obsec everywhere and a million bros is pretty solid.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Do any other games out there use comp in the same way that 40k (and previously, WHFB) does?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Honestly I've always been a fan of the concept of comp with most of your points being in troops with a percentage in the other categories but the game is not balanced and it most certainly can be abused.

I just like normal joe battles.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LingcodKilla posted:

]
I just like normal joe battles.
Me too, it's why I always like seeing Marine armies with lots of Tactical Marines, regular Chaos Marines in CSM armies, Guardsmen, Ork Boyz, Gaunts, and other line troops in a battle. It just feels less gamey and more in line with the fluff when you have a force that has more rank and file dudes in it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

SRM posted:

Me too, it's why I always like seeing Marine armies with lots of Tactical Marines, regular Chaos Marines in CSM armies, Guardsmen, Ork Boyz, Gaunts, and other line troops in a battle. It just feels less gamey and more in line with the fluff when you have a force that has more rank and file dudes in it.

Word. 65 marines in my tourney list.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Slimnoid posted:

Do any other games out there use comp in the same way that 40k (and previously, WHFB) does?

Most games have point lists designed by people who give a poo poo, or actual scenarios, again, designed by people who give a poo poo.

So, no.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
[quote="Phyresis" post=""449759298"]
:words:
[/quote]

>Well-designed
>40k

Pick one.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Here's my NOVA Narrative list:

I cannot wait to play with this list. I hope I don't play any AdMech or Necrons! I also can't wait to see Boon's minis in person!

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Are there any places selling the Imperial Knight Avenger Gatling Cannon for less than $20 US? At that price, I'll just use my imagination.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

The Sex Cannon posted:

Here's my NOVA Narrative list:

I cannot wait to play with this list. I hope I don't play any AdMech or Necrons! I also can't wait to see Boon's minis in person!

How many points is this?

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
That's close to 2k pts for the Russes, so about 2.2k at a minimum.

Any idea how a tournament with those comp rules would treat an IG infantry platoon? Minimum 3 squads, max 15 for one Troops choice. Or 25/138 models, if that's how you want to count them.

My mech inf IG has about 750 pts of troops at 1500 pts, but that's only two Troops choices (45 infantry and 5 transports). I guess my army deserves to be punished for being cheesy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Phyresis posted:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Phyresis posted:

I lost it at this part

edit:

BoLS?

double edit:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

spectralent posted:

Most games have point lists designed by people who give a poo poo, or actual scenarios, again, designed by people who give a poo poo.

So, no.

I had a feeling that was the case but I wanted to make sure before saying anything.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

reading comprehension is also not the 40k player's strong suit, apparently

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Phyresis posted:

reading comprehension is also not the 40k player's strong suit, apparently

Neither is proper punctuation and capitalization, apparently :v:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phyresis posted:

people who cry about cheesy poo poo in 40k are generally not very good at the game, it's textbook Dunning-Kruger.

I think this sentence is textbook Dunning-Kruger. But what do I know.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I miss the days when people got honest to god banned for not bothering with any form of punctuation.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I miss the days when people got honest to god banned for not bothering with any form of punctuation.

nah

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

lol

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it was spergy as all hell

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Come the revolution you will be first up against the wall, Moola. And no amount of correct Greggs-based opinions will save you. :colbert:

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
It are is because something Awful is a foram full of chickens little who kant' hack at it in an actually well-designated forum systim

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
*rattles uncomfortably*

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Come the revolution you will be first up against the wall, Moola. And no amount of correct Greggs-based opinions will save you. :colbert:

the revolution already happened. your side gave a bunch of money to a hot dog racist and exiled themselves to pyf

Phaelog
Jun 27, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Going from memory here so some specifics may be wrong but Star Fleet Battles had rules for a tournament format (Module T) for ship on ship fights with ships/rules altered/abridged with an eye towards competitive balance (and not having a game take a zillion years.) However, these changes were done by the company in an official capacity with an official released product so it's not completely analogous to what sounds like happens with 40k tournaments (I haven't played 40k since 3rd edition, I think).

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Uroboros posted:

Hid it in bolstered ruins to give it a +2 cover, and blew up skimmers with it. I don't really know why I got a -3 other than the guy is a bit of a jerk lovely cheater

FTFY

Why didn't you give him -90 pts back? Seems like the only reasonable course of action.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Master Twig posted:

One of my staffers wants to add a filter to the forums because people are calling Jetbikes with scatterlasers "scatbikes." He's from Spain so he's not even that familiar with what "scat" is used for here, he just hates the laziness.

Scatbikes, blazing busting a trail.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If I want to run my old fantasy Khorne daemons with kitbashed Gundam daemon engines and heavily converted mantic imperial guard chaos cultists is the Daemonkin book something I should be looking into?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Play with your space barbies how you want.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I mean is the list hot garbage without marines?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's probably better without chaos space marines, noted Bad Faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I think you want that recent chaosy imperial armour

• Locked thread