Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm watching Hannibal for the first time and in the season 1 episode with the Angelmaker the way they found his body was so, so stupid. He tied his own feet, carved out the flesh of his own back and supported the "wings" by wire, also strung himself up 20 - 30 feet above the ground with his arms spread and tied to opposing rafters that were, like, another 20 feet apart. I mean, I've read this thread so I went in with a generous suspension of disbelief, but goddamn. Everybody takes this completely in stride, too. No "wait, maybe he had a partner that strung him up" or anything. Just "welp, that solves that, case closed everybody."

That whole episode is really annoying in the scheme of things, the fakeout for example. Fortunately the rest of Season 1 is super great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah I'm really enjoying the show overall but ugh that episode.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Season 2 has some annoying episodes towards the end but then it finishes incredibly strongly. The killer of the week stuff is a bit hit and miss but it works usually because it frames Hannibal and Will's beautifully shot '"make sexy faces at each other" scenes.

content: I have started watching 24 and I really like the idea that each episode is an hour of real time in the show. However this is actually a lie as the episodes are only forty minutes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

More terrible movie talk:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the new one where Megan Fox plays someone named April O'Neil who is a reporter.

Overall, I was surprised how much I liked it. The CG was great, the action scenes were fleshed out and the characters used their gimmicks well (Splinter using his tail to fight was inspired). Sure the turtle designs took some getting used to and the racial vocal stereotypes reeked of Micheal Bay but not so bad that I couldn't handle it.

However, Megan Fox drug down every scene she was in. She can't act, her plastic face cannot show emotions aside from vacant or scowl and she makes these horrible shrieks through the whole thing. The turtles being enamored with her began and ended because she is pretty and didn't sell them out even though it wouldn't really benefit her to do so.

There is a flashback where the lab is set on fire in the middle of the night. SOMEHOW a 10 year-old April sees it's on fire, gets to the building, accesses the lab, scoops up all the animals, let's them out into the sewers (instead of keeping them, wtf) all without dying or seeing her dad get killed.
Also, how did the turtles remember her? At the time of the rescue they had barely begun to mutate and didn't have high brain-functions yet.
How did she automatically assume the four giant lizard men were, OF COURSE, the same as some test subjects she threw into a sewer some 15 years eatlier.

gently caress.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

EmmyOk posted:

Season 2 has some annoying episodes towards the end but then it finishes incredibly strongly. The killer of the week stuff is a bit hit and miss but it works usually because it frames Hannibal and Will's beautifully shot '"make sexy faces at each other" scenes.

content: I have started watching 24 and I really like the idea that each episode is an hour of real time in the show. However this is actually a lie as the episodes are only forty minutes.

Everybody everywhere takes a timeout and poops during the commercials.

That angel hannibal thing was so messed up I almost got into a car accident the next morning when I couldn't stop thinking about it and didn't see a red light.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Inzombiac posted:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the new one where Megan Fox plays someone named April O'Neil who is a reporter.

Overall, I was surprised how much I liked it. The CG was great, the action scenes were fleshed out and the characters used their gimmicks well (Splinter using his tail to fight was inspired). Sure the turtle designs took some getting used to and the racial vocal stereotypes reeked of Micheal Bay but not so bad that I couldn't handle it.

However, Megan Fox drug down every scene she was in. She can't act, her plastic face cannot show emotions aside from vacant or scowl and she makes these horrible shrieks through the whole thing. The turtles being enamored with her began and ended because she is pretty and didn't sell them out even though it wouldn't really benefit her to do so.

There is a flashback where the lab is set on fire in the middle of the night. SOMEHOW a 10 year-old April sees it's on fire, gets to the building, accesses the lab, scoops up all the animals, let's them out into the sewers (instead of keeping them, wtf) all without dying or seeing her dad get killed.
Also, how did the turtles remember her? At the time of the rescue they had barely begun to mutate and didn't have high brain-functions yet.
How did she automatically assume the four giant lizard men were, OF COURSE, the same as some test subjects she threw into a sewer some 15 years eatlier.

gently caress.

It also wasted the poo poo out of William Fichtner

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My IIMM is that Cumberbunch is getting cast in every goddamn movie out there, but his range seems to extend from thin autist to wiry autist

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Cumberbatch is really only good at playing himself, which unfortunately drives ticket sales right now, so his gravy train will continue to plow ahead irrespective of how bad he is in his roles.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ElGroucho posted:

My IIMM is that Cumberbunch is getting cast in every goddamn movie out there, but his range seems to extend from thin autist to wiry autist

Also a dragon. He was also good in Four Lions as an incompetent negotiator.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Morpheus posted:

Also a dragon autist.

FTFY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ElGroucho posted:

We won't ever find out if he can play anything else because he's been so strongly typecast. He'll be playing neurotic assholes from now until the end of time.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
I've been sick the last few days and binged my way through S1 and 2 of Lie To Me.

Tim Roth started in the first 5-10 episodes as a semi serious scientist type, akin to House with his sherlock super powers. With just a hit of "i'm loving good at what i do and i know it some i'm gonna act cocky about it".

This mostly didn't bother me, i'm English myself so the hammed up "love", "darling", "wanker", "mate" lines were almost natural to hear.

But now late in Season 2 he cranked the smug to 11, he's constantly talking out of turn, sassing judges, committing felonies, lounging around in important interviews with his head cocked almost 90 degrees, telling jokes to sell his 'product' to a finance company. His character has become complete and utter garbage, especially now they filled out some of his backstory.

The only good character left in it for me is Loker, and nobody seems to give a poo poo about him. Torres has her past poo poo coming to light, Foster is a strong independant woman that aint falling for Cal's bollocks, his daughter is insufferable for liking everyone and everything unlike every teenager in the world that hates everything, his ex wife can't sever to save her life.

Why am I still watching this?!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress.

Everything about April in that movie is terrible. She spends the first half of the movie complaining that she's not a real reporter and only does fluff pieces. Even though she's just graduated from college and somehow landed a job as an on air talent in the biggest market in the US.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Van Dis posted:

Cumberbatch is really only good at playing himself, which unfortunately drives ticket sales right now, so his gravy train will continue to plow ahead irrespective of how bad he is in his roles.

He was a bunch of different things as a radio actor, from young Rumpole of the Bailey to the sad-sack pilot/"man with a van" in "Cabin Pressure."

I think it's just that he looks so much like an anorexic weasel that went to Oxford. If you can't see him, he's very believable as something else.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm watching Hannibal for the first time and in the season 1 episode with the Angelmaker the way they found his body was so, so stupid. He tied his own feet, carved out the flesh of his own back and supported the "wings" by wire, also strung himself up 20 - 30 feet above the ground with his arms spread and tied to opposing rafters that were, like, another 20 feet apart. I mean, I've read this thread so I went in with a generous suspension of disbelief, but goddamn. Everybody takes this completely in stride, too. No "wait, maybe he had a partner that strung him up" or anything. Just "welp, that solves that, case closed everybody."

I haven't watched Hannibal, but to be honest any time there's a tv show on where a killer is doing weird poo poo or there's people dying constantly, I just automatically assume everyone in law enforcement are gigantic retards who can't even tie their own shoes.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Seems legit.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Into Darkness is a complete mess of a plot which I imagine was entirely written around the fact that they managed to cast Cumberbatch.

Its really sad too because the first star trek remake film was so spot-on. For just a second it seemed like Star Trek was gonna be a big mainstream franchise, and then... yeah.

I guess it goes back to the old saying about cycling between a good star trek movie and a horrible star trek movie back and forth.

There was a rumor going around before Into Darkness came out that the antagonist of the film was going to be Gary 7, which would have been perfect. It's TOS, a reasonably interesting character, and would be unaffected by time travel issues.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ryoshi posted:

I finally watched Star Trek Into Darkness after hearing Netflix would be losing it and it immediately triggered one of my biggest movie pet peeves - the big climactic action shot at the end was spoiled in the trailers and even the poster for the movie. Also, the way Kirk was stripped of his rank for all of ten minutes was realllly goofy.

Well the end was also spoiled by the movie that came out 30 years prior to it too.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Throwing Turtles posted:

There was a rumor going around before Into Darkness came out that the antagonist of the film was going to be Gary 7, which would have been perfect. It's TOS, a reasonably interesting character, and would be unaffected by time travel issues.

As much as I like that idea (read the Eugenics War series and you can see Gary and Kahn interact), Gary 7 was alive in the 1960s. How would they bring him forward?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That was pushing things a bit far, yeah, but the actual worst thing about the Angelmaker episode is with the victims in the hotel room, where standards & practices at NBC were concerned about showing bare arses on TV until the Hannibal people went, "Okay, what if we make it so there's enough blood that you can't see their arse cracks?" and that was then fine to be broadcast.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Organza Quiz posted:

That was pushing things a bit far, yeah, but the actual worst thing about the Angelmaker episode is with the victims in the hotel room, where standards & practices at NBC were concerned about showing bare arses on TV until the Hannibal people went, "Okay, what if we make it so there's enough blood that you can't see their arse cracks?" and that was then fine to be broadcast.

Funniest Hannibal moment for me. Gory flayed backs are alright, but a BUTT CRACK???

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

The Duke posted:

Funniest Hannibal moment for me. Gory flayed backs are alright, but a BUTT CRACK???

They blurred out arses of paintings of renaissance women in Florence in the latest series. It's mental.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I haven't watched Hannibal, but to be honest any time there's a tv show on where a killer is doing weird poo poo or there's people dying constantly, I just automatically assume everyone in law enforcement are gigantic retards who can't even tie their own shoes.

Some people like that kind of realism in their tv shows.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress.

I agree with most of what you said, but if I recall correctly the turtles didn't remember April, Splinter did.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Overall I love most of American Horror Story (save for season 4, which was a mishmash of poo poo that had no plot or real story) but I am pretty sick of all the jump scares they use in their ads for the next season. OMG it's at a hotel and look, CREEPY CHILDREN WALKING UP AND DOWN STAIRS.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Throwing Turtles posted:

I think youre confused. The rumours I remember hearing was that he was going to be Gary Mitchell from the 2nd pilot "Where no man has gone before" who was another officer turned crazy with super powers. This also stems that the Carol Marcus from Into Darkness is a goddamned 1:1 of Dr Dehner from the same episode.

In all honesty there were likely another dozen scripts and plots written up that they picked and chose from so who knows where they originally intended to go with that clusterfuck of a movie.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Probable effort post, I apologize...

gently caress me do I dislike the JJ Trek. I swear, no matter what, there's probably gonna be "Don't call me Tiny" in the third one not for any good reason just because it's the third new Trek. It's a bunch of references strung together into something resembling a coherent plot, plus computer money, the end. I grew up on Star Trek and Harold Lloyd and the Lone Ranger and Sgt Bilko and all that good stuff and it aggravates me, deep down, that this poo poo is Star Trek these days.

Don't get me wrong, there's good stuff in the first movie and glimmers in the second but it's just Godawful action bullshit wearing the raggedy, torn-off face of Star Trek.

I want to like Star Trek why is this excrement getting in the way of me liking Star Trek?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think maybe your give the old Star Trek too much credit.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I think maybe your give the old Star Trek too much credit.

Star Trek is like all those old properties that are kind of silly but fans harp on about their artistic integrity. People complained that the new Ninja Turtles film was somehow an affront to their cartoon/comic about mutant ninja turtles that was made to sell toys. Kids loved the new TMNT film just like kids loved the old ones, adults who can't let go of childhood hated it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
No. Old Star Trek was Star Trek. The new one is just a space action adventure wearing Star Trek. What is so Star Trek about JJ Trek?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why don't you scream at rich evans for a bit you weirdo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rejutka posted:

No. Old Star Trek was Star Trek. The new one is just a space action adventure wearing Star Trek. What is so Star Trek about JJ Trek?

By that argumen the original ST movies aren't ST either. Only the shows are "true ST". Why make movies at all?

Its the biggest "no true scotsman" i've heard in awhile :v:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
You're being glib, like the JJ Trek. Explain what's so Star Trek about the JJ Trek other than the franchise?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

rejutka posted:

You're being glib, like the JJ Trek. Explain what's so Star Trek about the JJ Trek other than the franchise?

Did you seriously just post that?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always find one line in Kung Fu Panda 2 really annoying because of the logic of the scene, when Shifu tells Po that "The day you entered my temple, was the worst day of my life. Nothing else even came close"

Really? Being such a lovely father you turned Tai Lung evil and then inverted those mistakes with Tigress and made her an emotional wreck don't even register? The only reason he was able to train Po to be effective as a hero and not just a warrior was that Mr Ping, an actual good father, got to him first and raised him to be emotionally stable, before Shifu could screw him up. I guarantee if baby Po had shown up at the temple instead of the restaurant, Tai Lung would have killed everyone, due to Po just being another Tigress, and not mentally equipped to deal with him.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Yes. It's generic as gently caress and the second one is atrocious. Also, not helping my description of glib by posting an SS smilie. You got money in this poo poo or something?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Let's all get mad that people disagree with our assessments of movies in the PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rejutka posted:

Yes. It's generic as gently caress and the second one is atrocious. Also, not helping my description of glib by posting an SS smilie. You got money in this poo poo or something?

Show me on the doll where the Star Trek touched you.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Who What Now posted:

Show me on the doll where the Star Trek touched you.

Nope, glib. It's like people making another film out of the Mad Max franchise and everyone's on scooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

rejutka posted:

It's not very good.