Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

massive spider posted:

For context it was his reaction to Coopers "I'm not the type of person to vote 500 times against the leadership" comment.

Lol. No Yvette, you're a shameless careerist who would vote for rebuilding the Mau Mau camps if Tony Blair told you to.

Jose posted:

labours election adverts should just be

Who do you trust to run the country?

or

Yeah.

If Boris wins and they bang on about meeting Hamas they should replay that phone call with his gangster friend about breaking people's limbs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJWkS2A9T0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

OwlFancier posted:

Do travellers generally pay tax or rent for the campgrounds they stay at?

I dont think anyone could answer that, if they stay at a campsite then probably, if they pitch up in a public park then probably not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was just wondering because if people don't integrate well enough to pay tax or anything similar it's kind of hard to get public services for them. Dunno how you fix it but like, social contract and that means you should support and be supported by society.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Just dropping in to express both surprise and amusement that I've been pejoratively branded a communist for expressing anti-capitalist sentiment in the UK Marxism Thread, of all places.

Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Do travellers generally pay tax or rent for the campgrounds they stay at?

Yeah both when they're at a caravan park, but most are squatting because there aren't enough of the legitimate parks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

I thought the Royal Navy was being sent to gun down empty smuggling boats or something equally retarded?

And it was immediately withdrawn after the election.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then call me in favour of more caravan parks.

Though fewer horse carts on the dual carriageway if possible.

If you do have to take your horse cart on the dual carriageway, please drive it down the correct side of the road and don't try to race it with your mates.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

OwlFancier posted:

Then call me in favour of more caravan parks.

Though fewer horse carts on the dual carriageway if possible.

If you do have to take your horse cart on the dual carriageway, please drive it down the correct side of the road and don't try to race it with your mates.

A127? They used to do that a lot. Fun times.

E: Also are you now automatically a trot if you just happen to believe the world would be a better place if Milton Friedman had never been born and the invisible hand has a disturbing habit of fisting the vulnerable?

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 3, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Moogle posted:

A127? They used to do that a lot. Fun times.

Nope, up north near Durham I think it was.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Re the whole travellers moving around thing: I've been tangentially involved in one high profile case involving travellers and have written some related materials, from what I gather many (most?) travellers prefer a settled or semi-settled existence because of things like school waiting lists, ongoing medical treatment et cetera. "why don't they just travel then lol" is a stupid point to try and make. If you're forced to move on from your settled home, but you've got children in school and community members undergoing medical treatment, then a roadside existence is less of a problem than throwing all of that away and leaving the area - and, anyway, with a recognised need for more pitches nationally, where the hell would you go anyway?
Re discrimination: every traveller I've personally known (very few) just happens to be a career criminal (but that's not really surprising considering where I'm from and, erm, how I met them), but even aside from the fact that generalising from that is pretty much the definition of prejudice, is it really surprising that a demographic that we all acknowledge has been systematically disenfranchised for most of history might both be more inclined to commit crimes, and more likely to be caught/blamed? Even aside from that - and going off topic from the conversation slightly - I've seen planning officials routinely consider alleged criminal/antisocial conduct in planning decisions, and it's rarely even challenged in court, but you can't do that, being a criminal does not disentitle a person to a home, and, in any event, the actions of an occupier of land have no intrinsic bearing on the usage of the land itself whatsoever.
Apologies if I've misconstrued anyone's points here, I'm very tired.

In other news: it's not just terrorists, I just read in the Times that Our Boy has thrown his lot in with the nonces! For some reason this pleases me, you know the right wing press are clutching at straws when that old chestnut crops up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

XMNN posted:

Maybe they could point to some issues Corbyn rebelled on where they're confident the Labour leadership had the right answer, rather than just saying it as if it's de facto a bad thing. There's even a helpful website that compiles lists of how MPs voted that I took the liberty of consulting.

Is this supposed to be an indictment, a praise, or just the bare facts? I can't tell any more.

On another note my local LP sent me the agenda for their meeting next week. Turns out my MP nominated Corbs :): but is now backing Coops :(:. I'm wondering whether the meeting is worth my time or not; does anyone have experience with local parties who might be able to advise? What sort of thing do they usually actually DO there? The previous minutes are... weird...

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Blood God Blair has had a complaint against the Mail rejected by Independent Press Standards Organisation leading him to claim, with a straight face no doubt, that for IPSO "It would seem that the truth counts for little".

Something he knows a little about one would think.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/sep/03/tony-blair-attacks-major-failure-at-ipso-after-daily-mail-complaint-rejected

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Is this supposed to be an indictment, a praise, or just the bare facts? I can't tell any more.

On another note my local LP sent me the agenda for their meeting next week. Turns out my MP nominated Corbs :): but is now backing Coops :(:. I'm wondering whether the meeting is worth my time or not; does anyone have experience with local parties who might be able to advise? What sort of thing do they usually actually DO there? The previous minutes are... weird...

Obvious question - what does the agenda say they'll be doing?
Tends to vary tbh, election planning and debriefing often take up a lot of time around relevant occasions, planning fundraising events, discussing reports (e.g. from local MPs), deciding views on things, local campaigning, oppportunities for member to go to events (e.g. to conference).
I mostly liked to go for the social aspect cos they were usually followed by a get together. Also, my CLP was rather old and small so may not be representative of everywhere.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Borrovan posted:

Re discrimination: every traveller I've personally known (very few) just happens to be a career criminal (but that's not really surprising considering where I'm from and, erm, how I met them), but even aside from the fact that generalising from that is pretty much the definition of prejudice, is it really surprising that a demographic that we all acknowledge has been systematically disenfranchised for most of history might both be more inclined to commit crimes, and more likely to be caught/blamed?

I think amongst any group of people there are those who under sufficiently bad circumstances would be inclined to be inconsiderate/criminal/a general dickhead, and my estimate of this proportion tends toward 100% depending on how pessimistic I am. On top of this, calling for making it easier to not do these things isn't the same as saying that behaviour is okay, it's just saying that there exist dickheads and it isn't feasible to determine every one of them and remove them from society or whatever. Bins are provided in busy streets not just for convenience for us lovely folk who care, but because if they weren't there more people would just throw their crap all over and we don't have enough resources to arrest them all and put them in Dickhead Jail as we would be able to do in a just world.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Acaila posted:

Obvious question - what does the agenda say they'll be doing?
Tends to vary tbh, election planning and debriefing often take up a lot of time around relevant occasions, planning fundraising events, discussing reports (e.g. from local MPs), deciding views on things, local campaigning, oppportunities for member to go to events (e.g. to conference).
I mostly liked to go for the social aspect cos they were usually followed by a get together. Also, my CLP was rather old and small so may not be representative of everywhere.

Reports from councillors and MP, talking about education, discussing whether to put a motion to the conference, taking a collection.

I might give it a punt.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

thespaceinvader posted:

I just went to theyworkforyou.com and it's the first thing at the top of his page and the Yvette Cooper clearly thinks it's a bad thing that he voted differently from Labour but I think it's a good thing that he voted in a way I agree with, so I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

I didn't do much more research, so maybe he did rebel on something they wouldn't be embarrassed to defend but I imagine they would have brought it up by now instead of just going with "He voted against the Labour Party on Iraq, ID cards and indefinite detention without trial!".

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Here's the point in the video where Corbyn looks witheringly into the camera: Here. It looks a bit less deliberate in context so if you want to preserve your suspension of disbelief it might not help you to watch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

Here's the point in the video where Corbyn looks witheringly into the camera: Here. It looks a bit less deliberate in context so if you want to preserve your suspension of disbelief it might not help you to watch.

I watched it without the sound on and it looks more or less exactly like he's saying "really?" to the camera while cooper is gesticulating at him.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

I watched it without the sound on and it looks more or less exactly like he's saying "really?" to the camera while cooper is gesticulating at him.

I watched it with the sound on and it looks exactly like that, because she's chatting bollocks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assumed as much given the placating yet distancing hand gestures.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I just started watching the whole thing and Cooper is already doing my nut in.

Also Krishnan G-M is coming across as a total twat.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Cooper has Tony Blairs hands

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Acaila posted:

Also Krishnan G-M is coming across as a total twat.

He's gone from being a decent, thoughtful, well-briefed interviewer to, as you say, a total twat over the past couple of years. Perhaps he's chosen a new path now that Cathy Newman and Matt Frei have rather overtaken him as the potential replacements for Jon Snow.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renfield posted:

Cooper has Tony Blairs hands
How did she wash the blood off?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Soap and water and knowing Chilcot's secrets.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Corby is smashing it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

winegums posted:

Corby is smashing it

How long until the other 3 claim the tories infiltrated this vote too?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mega Comrade posted:

How long until the other 3 claim the tories infiltrated this vote too?

it's sky news, of course the tories infiltrated it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what haven't the tories infiltrated

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The other 3 just sound like they could be business people who one day got told they were MP's where as Corbyn sounds like what people as the archtypical erudite politician.
Corbyn is a Marxist memetic cognitohazard and will ruin the UK.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Did any MPs push Corbyn to run last leadership election by the way? I'm not sure I'd ever heard of him a few months ago.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hoops posted:

Did any MPs push Corbyn to run last leadership election by the way? I'm not sure I'd ever heard of him a few months ago.

The same group pushes one candidate each election if there isn't a left-wing candidate, last time Dianne Abbott drew the short straw. Oddly enough the black woman wasn't very popular with the parliamentary labour party for some reason.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Hoops posted:

Not as far as I know. Corbyn's been doing what he does and sitting where he sits, resolutely out of the limelight, since the last major period of continental drift. As I understand it (and maybe a poster who knows the Labour party better will correct me) the little band of left-wingers sit round in the pub before each leadership election, pick one of their number almost at random, and say "go on mate, your turn now". Last time it was Diane Abbot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That was indeed the way. It's only because of Ed Miliband's changing of the rules that the outcome isn't a dead certainty this time, hence why all the panicking after it turns out people hate Tory rhetoric from 'Labour' candidates almost as much as they hate the Tories.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden
Last time John McDonnell was also seeking nominations, but stood aside in favour of Abbott when it became clear that there were no other women running. Corbyn and McDonnell have been de facto leaders of the Bennite wing of the party for some time now, so he wasn't quite a random choice.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Abott is nice but shes no good at interviews, at the peoples assembly march she was also the least inspiring i thought

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Oddly enough the black woman wasn't very popular with the parliamentary labour party for some reason.

I don't think that's fair - Corbyn isn't too popular either. She didn't fail to become leader because she's a she or is black, necessarily.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Diane Abbot didn't have the strength of her convictions when it came to sending her kid to a state school though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
apparently her kid called a radio show at the time and said it was the school he wanted to go to and she backed up and respected his choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

winegums posted:

I don't think that's fair - Corbyn isn't too popular either. She didn't fail to become leader because she's a she or is black, necessarily.

You'll forgive me if i retain my suspicion, i hope.

• Locked thread