Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

euphronius posted:

I posted a pdf of her duties and she actually does a lot.

Yeah a bad county clerk can really mess things up. One big duty ours has is running elections and that can be a clusterfuck if they aren't prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Teddybear posted:

In this county, the 'clerk' is much more of a mayor-y/executive style thing.

No that is wrong

There is a judge/executive in Ky

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Teddybear posted:

In this county, the 'clerk' is much more of a mayor-y/executive style thing.

That's all counties in the country that still have a county government (I think it's all in CT and many in MA and a few in other states that don't). It would be more accurate to refer to them as something like County President or considering the typical duality in most of the country, County Consul, honestly, but it's clerk because it's been clerk since the revolution and probably earlier.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Three Olives posted:

Seriously, in a just world she would have been legally required to do her job but the judge gave her a complete out where all she had to do is not actively interfere with her employees complying with a court order and she chose jail.

Actually this is perfect, it is going to be very difficult to spin this as Christian persecution now.

(In this video a caller openly calls for "blood in the street on a massive scale" and the host responds by saying "You know what, I think you are right.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WE1w8iOW88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taFW5X-PsBk

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 3, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Behold all the facts you could want about Ky county government

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/lrcpubs/ib114.pdf

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Gays

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Man, these guys just want to be the American ISIS.

Too bad they don't have the guts to actually live up to their hateful claims.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well it's true, she wouldn't marry the gays (who came to the office for a license) or the straights for that matter.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
You know I try and laugh about this made up Christian persecution but it is important to remember that Lawrence V. Texas wasn't decided until 2003 and it was a 6-3 decision. Literal legal persecution of gays by the state happened and was completely legal only 12 years ago. The police for real broke into a gay person's house and arrested them for having gay sex in 1998 so it is a little infuriating to hear the Christians whining about persecution by the gays.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

euphronius posted:

No that is wrong

There is a judge/executive in Ky

County Clerk is sort of like...

You know how the President has a cabinet consisting of the Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, Attorney General, and all the other guys whose jobs you probably don't remember? County Clerk is the "All the other guys" of elected county-level governance.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Apparently one of her deputies is her son. I think it's that kind of local government office.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Apparently one of her deputies is her son. I think it's that kind of local government office.

The previous incumbent officeholder was her mother.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Didn't see this posted yet so...

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

Will there be a transcript of the hearings today? I really want to read exactly what was said.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
For people who are :supaburn: about the deputy clerks getting summarily fired you really needn't worry. They are government employees and have protections in place, even in KY. Your boss cannot fire you for failing to obey an unlawful order (not issue licenses). HR can refuse to process the terminations and even in the case of egregious misconduct on the part of an employee, which this isn't, involves a hearing by HR to determine if the dismissal is warranted.

tl;dr she ain't gonna fire them from jail and assuming she's still in the position when she gets out there are much smarter people in HR and Risk Management who will refuse to go along with it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ah, it's not just the US, my grandparents' village had the same thing where the mayor was the former mayor's son.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I do kind of hate the idea that the crazies won't attack gay people, the neighborhood gay bar that I frequent has heavy armed security during all business hours in large part because of past hate crimes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Three Olives posted:

I do kind of hate the idea that the crazies won't attack gay people, the neighborhood gay bar that I frequent has heavy armed security during all business hours in large part because of past hate crimes.

I think it's more that the crazies already do that all the time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Prester John can you take your :tinfoil: rants back to your own vanity thread?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Haha

quote:

Mat Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, which is representing Davis, said in a statement, “Everyone is stunned at this development. Kim Davis is being treated as a criminal because she cannot violate her conscience. While she may be behind bars for now, Kim Davis is a free woman. Her conscience remains unshackled.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/09/03/kentucky-clerks-stunned-attorney-reacts-the-judge-is-treating-her-like-a-criminal/

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

jivjov posted:

Wow. She is a loving MORON too. She had an easy way out, where she would not be forced to act like she was compromising her faith, and she prefers to rot in jail. Is it still martyrdom if she's a complete idiot about it?
The thing I've been wondering is why she wouldn't just step down if she's not prepared to perform her duties anymore? That, to me, seems to be the most logical thing to do in her position if she disagrees that strongly with the laws she's supposed to execute, to the point where she doesn't even want to allow other people to perform in her name ... but she didn't. Or is she somehow not allowed to step down? :confused: I understand that she can't be fired because it's an elected position but surely she could just resign? That would really have been the best thing for everybody, in my opinion. Also, is there no provision for impeachment seeing how she's an elected member of the executive branch acting in obvious violation of the relevant laws?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

The thing I've been wondering is why she wouldn't just step down if she's not prepared to perform her duties anymore?

I won't keep posting this often/much more but it bears repeating:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Don't worry about the other clerks.

Kim Davis will never be allowed to fire another human being in any position she holds for the rest of her life after this. Probably HR will not let her even lightly discipline someone without consulting them first, and this assuming she's counting down her last few days in a government job

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Morter posted:

I won't keep posting this often/much more but it bears repeating:

I'm sure the option is there, but that's not her intention:
Well in that case that's seriously dumb. Like she's being dumb in the first place but this doesn't even seem to make sense from the type of seriously warped worldview that is fundamentalist Christianity.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also have anybody else not yet received their mandatory twink husband yet? I could really use some help dressing my new place up and splitting the rent would be nice, I wonder if there's a form I was supposed to fill out

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Also have anybody else not yet received their mandatory twink husband yet? I could really use some help dressing my new place up and splitting the rent would be nice, I wonder if there's a form I was supposed to fill out

The twinks all sold out. All that are left are bears, otters, lions, fiddler crabs, wombats, and a single gazelle.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Royal W posted:

The twinks all sold out. All that are left are bears, otters, lions, fiddler crabs, wombats, and a single gazelle.

:furcry:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/politics/kentucky-clerk-same-sex-marriage-kim-davis/index.html

And now for opinions from Presidential Candidate and cool dude, Rand Paul:

Rand Paul posted:

If you want to convince people that Same Sex marriage is something that's acceptable, I would say try to persuade people, but if [the government gets invovled], it's going to harden's people resolve on this issue; there will be no open-mindedness.

Two things Mr. Paul: More than half the country is in support of same sex marriage and there is that issue of that annoying SCOTUS ruling, so it's not the LGBT community that needs to do the convincing my friend. Second, you are more likely to find a pot of gold with a lephurcon on it than you are to find an open-minded religious zealot.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

PrBacterio posted:

The thing I've been wondering is why she wouldn't just step down if she's not prepared to perform her duties anymore? That, to me, seems to be the most logical thing to do in her position if she disagrees that strongly with the laws she's supposed to execute, to the point where she doesn't even want to allow other people to perform in her name ... but she didn't. Or is she somehow not allowed to step down? :confused: I understand that she can't be fired because it's an elected position but surely she could just resign? That would really have been the best thing for everybody, in my opinion. Also, is there no provision for impeachment seeing how she's an elected member of the executive branch acting in obvious violation of the relevant laws?

The most logical action would only apply to someone who was capable of acting logically, which clearly she is not.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I hope she remains in jail upto the 16th, as it will be a definite CNN debate question by then.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Royal W posted:

Awww man, I'd probably be categorized as a bear myself and the Gaystapo would likely forbid me being assigned another bear or otter. I guess I'll have to resubmit for a lion then. It'll suck being second fiddle in the relationship I guess but at least I'll have a workout buddy as well!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Using the government to bar same-sex marriages is a-okay, of course.

Fuckin' Libertarians.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This Reuters article about the judge in the case is, well, it's short and I'll sum it up for you. Judge Bunning is known as being very fair, straightforward, impartial, and decidedly non-political in the courtroom according to everyone Reuters could reach for comment. Here's what his mother says:

Judge Bunning's Mom posted:

David is an honest person. He doesn't agree with the Supreme Court but has to obey the law.

In other words he seemingly doesn't like the gay marriages but he's not a loving idiot and he understands what the law is, and is going to act based on that. Take note, Kim Davis, that is how a government official is supposed to act.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Epic High Five posted:

Awww man, I'd probably be categorized as a bear myself and the Gaystapo would likely forbid me being assigned another bear or otter. I guess I'll have to resubmit for a lion then. It'll suck being second fiddle in the relationship I guess but at least I'll have a workout buddy as well!

You of all people should know better. :colbert:

Bears form quartets. :getin:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

You of all people should know better. :colbert:

Bears form quartets. :getin:

But I can't marry ALL of them!

...... YET

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

NOM waited almost a full day to get this out. Fresh from my inbox:

quote:

Hours ago a federal judge jailed Kentucky clerk Kim Davis in an act of judicial tyranny. Judge David Bunning wants to force her to abandon her Christian principles and personally participate in validating same-sex 'marriages' by putting her name on the license. Federal law says that the government must provide a reasonable accommodation for people with deeply held religious beliefs, but this rouge judge is determined to make Kim pay for standing up for principle.

This judicial tyranny must end now!

Please sign our petition demanding that Kim Davis be freed immediately, and calling on elected officials in Washington and at the state level to enact legislation affording an accommodation for people so that they personally are not required to participate in something that violates their deeply held religious beliefs.

The left is already trying to spin this as "stopping discrimination" but the real victims of discrimination are Kim Davis and all of us who, because of the illegitimate ruling of the US Supreme Court in redefining marriage, are being told to sacrifice religious liberty on the altar of gay "rights."

The rogue federal judge who has jailed Kim Davis is merely the instrument of this tyranny, but the author of it are the US Supreme Court justices who ruled in June that states like Kentucky must allow same-sex 'couples' to "marry" in violation of their state constitution and laws.

It was inevitable that such a court decision would put people of faith in the crosshairs for punishment and discrimination.

Kim Davis is paying a price for all of us and we must stand with her now! Please sign the petition demanding that she be freed, and share it with all your friends and family through social media and any other way you can collect signatures.

We must build immense public pressure to force the elite and the judiciary to recognize the constitutional right of people to disagree with same-sex 'marriage' and to protect them from punishment for not being a part of it.

The case of Kim Davis is only the latest, and most shocking, example of the conflict the Supreme Court created when it imposed same-sex 'marriage' on the country without a shred of constitutional authority to do so. Before her case came a countless number of victims who have been sued, fined, lost their jobs, had their businesses closed and been threatened with financial ruin.

Now imprisonment has become a tool of gay 'marriage' activists, wielded by rogue judges in an exercise of raw power.

We must stop this judicial tyranny now! Please sign our petition to free Kim Davis and demand that elected officials protect people of faith from having to participate in an endorsement of same-sex 'marriage' against their will.

Faithfully,
Brian S. Brown

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

PrBacterio posted:

This, not her marital history, is why she's an enormous hypocrite. If she actually had an ounce of religious conviction she would have resigned her post as soon as the law went into effect. She wants the glory of martyrdom without any of the sacrifice.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Icon Of Sin posted:

NOM lovely copywriter posted:

rouge judge

9 hours and you can't even proofread your press release. For shame. Please send 25, 50, or 250 to help us hire a better copywriter.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

:laffo: Like the big mean gay :siren: ROUGE JUDGE :siren: has a gun to her head and his other hand on her signing hand, forcing her to put pen to paper.
She's not being forced to do poo poo; she can quit whenever she wants.
E: misspelled "ROUGE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

https://actright.com/petition/171 is the petition they want people to sign.

quote:

The People's Marriage Pledge

I pledge that I will only support a candidate for President of the United States who has pledged to take specific actions to protect marriage as the union of one man and one woman. This includes:

Supporting a federal marriage amendment protecting marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
Opposing and working to overturn any Supreme Court ruling that illegitimately finds a constitutional “right” to redefine marriage.
Nominating to the US Supreme Court and federal bench judges who are committed to restraint and applying the original meaning of the Constitution, and appointing an attorney general similarly committed.

Conducting a review of regulatory, administrative and executive actions taken by the Obama Administration that have the effect of undermining marriage and work to restore our policies to be consistent with the proper understanding of marriage as the union of one man and one woman. Consistent with this, prevent the promotion of a redefined version of marriage in public schools and other government entities.
Supporting federal legislation that recognizes the right of organizations and individuals to act in the public square consistent with their beliefs about marriage without fear of retaliation from the federal government.
Directing the Department of Justice to investigate, document and publicize cases of Americans who have been harassed or threatened for exercising key civil rights to organize, to speak, to donate or to vote for marriage and to propose new protections, if needed.

I also pledge to support only those candidates for federal office who have taken positions consistent with the above policies.

• Locked thread