Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And this is part of the crux of Shigaraki's (I think it was Shigaraki who first used the phrase in the manga) issue with the "state's monopoly on violence".

Yeah, Shigaraki was calling out All Might on how heroes had a license to use violence to stop criminals and such; "state-sponsored violence" or something to that effect. All Might correctly called him out on it just being a justification for his desire to destroy things though; unlike Stain, Shigaraki doesn't have a real code (yet, at least; Stain saw the beginnings of one apparently) and acts almost entirely on his selfish whims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Vengarr posted:

The police are contracting out most of their responsibilities to the heroes. That's why a hero like Endeavor can put down a bunch of bad guys, but he still needs someone in blue to actually arrest them. The police don't want to admit they're useless, so they use the heroes as tools while still maintaining the illusion of societal control and authority. Rather than doing the obvious thing and co-opting the heroes into some sort of Self-Defense Force acting under the authority of the government, the state is holding them at arms length.

This means that the "Heroes" of today are nothing but mercenaries, ones that have to promote themselves ruthlessly in order to get a better-paying contract from the government.

Multiple people in the series have noted this is both prone to corruption and utterly unsustainable.

It seems to me that police do the things that we would consider normal police issues. Traffic enforcement, petty crimes, ect. But also more serious stuff like actually solving crimes and gathering evidence. The only other cop we saw much of had a quirk that let him know when people are lying. So I think they're allowed to use their quirks, but not to hurt people. So basically the guy giving you a speeding ticket isn't allowed to shoot you with his laser eyes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the serious sociopolitical ramifications of the relationship between the heroes and the police, who are lead by a dog man

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

the serious sociopolitical ramifications of the relationship between the heroes and the police, who are lead by a dog man

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the heroes, who defeat the villains. These are their stories.

*woof woof*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and Endeavor, who's an rear end in a top hat

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

together, they fight crime.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stain saying that nobody but All Might gets to beat him is interesting.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Say Nothing posted:

Stain saying that nobody but All Might gets to beat him is interesting.

This is what he said in his introduction, actually. After he brutalized Ingenuim, he was musing on how corrupt the system was and that the only person worthy of stopping him was All Might, whose philosophy of heroics (i.e. being a hero to help people rather than glory, money, or power) is what he seems to see as what should be the standard, more or less.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It'd be kind of amazing if Stain finally meets All Might and just ends up fanboying out and asking him to autograph his bandages.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if a future plot scenario will be Stain escaping and then spreading the story of how the law enforcement concealed the events of what happened.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
With the pacing of this manga it wouldn't shock me if this was the last we've seen of Stain.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Fabricated posted:

With the pacing of this manga it wouldn't shock me if this was the last we've seen of Stain.

I hope not. He's obviously not primary antagonist material but he's definitely got another arc or two worth of story potential left later down the road. Not immediately but in a couple years if this winds up being a long running series (and I don't see why it wouldn't at this point)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TriffTshngo posted:

I hope not. He's obviously not primary antagonist material but he's definitely got another arc or two worth of story potential left later down the road. Not immediately but in a couple years if this winds up being a long running series (and I don't see why it wouldn't at this point)

He's the growth villain, the wall they have to surpass.
The protags will beat him either as the capstone to their internships/schooling, or as part of a world-changing arc ultimatum.

I don't think I'm the only person who wants the story to advance time in a natural, organic way rather than just go 'X amount of time later' at arbitrary moments and just montage the time passing.

Also I can totally see him coming back if one of the characters starts getting disillusioned with hero-dom.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 30, 2015

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He's the growth villain, the wall they have to surpass.
The protags will beat him either as the capstone to their internships/schooling, or as part of a world-changing arc ultimatum.

I don't think I'm the only person who wants the story to advance time in a natural, organic way rather than just go 'X amount of time later' at arbitrary moments and just montage the time passing.

Also I can totally see him coming back if one of the characters starts getting disillusioned with hero-dom.

I'd love if he never got out of jail, but characters having moral crisis ended up visiting him to talk about poo poo and he went all Hannibal on them. I'm cool if he never fights again(though I doubt it given the All-Might line) but I think he can still serve a pretty good role in the story just by talking things out and making characters doubt themselves, especially if the system starts to get more and more hosed up.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Darth Walrus posted:

It'd be kind of amazing if Stain finally meets All Might and just ends up fanboying out and asking him to autograph his bandages.

No Might/All Skel goes and visits Stain in the hospital and transforms infront of him.
Stain: :swoon:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This is a neat detail or something potentially major. In the Fallen Angel release, Stain says that "The word 'hero' must be restored!"

But in the official WSJ release, he says "If I don't reclaim my hero status...!"

So, Stain as a former hero gone rogue confirmed? His connection to All Might might be more than just ideological in that case.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 1, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is a neat detail or something potentially major. In the Fallen Angel release, Stain says that "The word 'hero' must be restored!"

But in the official WSJ release, he says "If I don't reclaim my hero status...!"

So, Stain as a former hero gone rogue confirmed? His connection to All Might might be more than just ideological in that case.d

Well, the Korean scan has him saying pretty much the same thing as the Fallen Angel's release, so I'm leaning more in favor of the ideological sense.

The Korean version also has that thing that some manga sometimes do where a word is overlapped with another meaning, and All Might is overlapped with True Hero.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually, random thing that came to mind: Is the police chief's dog-face a quirk? If so, that must mean that people with quirks can get involved in regular law enforcement and not necessarily be forced into the hero side of things. Though I suppose it could be exclusively a 'if you have a non-combat quirk' thing.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Actually, random thing that came to mind: Is the police chief's dog-face a quirk? If so, that must mean that people with quirks can get involved in regular law enforcement and not necessarily be forced into the hero side of things. Though I suppose it could be exclusively a 'if you have a non-combat quirk' thing.

Earlier in the series it said that very rarely some animals can gain quirks, which basically makes them intelligent and humanoid (like the principal). It could be like the shadowbird student where he's human and born that way or an animal that was born with a quirk and become more human. I think All Might even suggests to Deku in the first chapter to go into villain containment with the police, though I could be remembering wrong.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Endorph posted:

yeah there was a cop who showed up earlier who was stated to have a lie detection quirk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

yeah there was a cop who showed up earlier who was stated to have a lie detection quirk.

Oh right, I forgot about that guy. Seems like a pretty interesting bit of worldbuilding, wonder if it'll come up more fully. At the very least, it's interesting that Stain seems to have no problem with quirk cops.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

When the basis of the series is that the vast majority of the population has quirks, it wouldn't make sense for all cops to be quirkless. All Might just suggested it to Midoriya as a hero alternative that was attainable without needing a quirk.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Preview for the next chapter. It's highly disturbing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Wait, is that Bakugou?! :haw:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

AND NOBODY BELIEVED ME.

You'll all rue the day you doubted me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
No way on earth that lasts.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Oh and this might be a spoiler image too?

Looks like Shigaraki either has a sister or a new villain appears

edit: oh wait, poo poo, it might actually be stain's little sister or daughter from the blood around her mouth????

Horrible Smutbeast fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 3, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't see a thing on your link dude

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I don't see a thing on your link dude

Try this one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You sure?
That doesn't look like the magaka's style.

Usually for panels like that he gets the lines thick and ragged.
Also her design is super boring so that's another point against.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

You sure?
That doesn't look like the magaka's style.

Usually for panels like that he gets the lines thick and ragged.
Also her design is super boring so that's another point against.

Yeah, I didn't want to believe it at first either but it is in his style. I think it's the top panel of this where they introduce the next set of villains that join Shigaraki

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
A Clockwork Bakugou.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to believe it at first either but it is in his style. I think it's the top panel of this where they introduce the next set of villains that join Shigaraki
That dude in the upper left-hand corner looks like he's seen better days.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I'm a fan of JoJoLizard.
Jesus anything better than just a yandere

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

I'm a fan of JoJoLizard.
Jesus anything better than just a yandere

Jojolizard? I'm pretty sure that's probably one of Stain's biggest fans. It looks like he's completely cribbing his style like a bad cosplay. Or maybe there's a villain's costume supply store they all shop at.

Yeah, honestly I know that the artist is pretty good at subverting stereotypes, but making the first big name female villain a generic loving yandere chick is turning me off hardcore on this series. Especially if in the next few chapters it's going go down that road of teehee so crazy manic pixie girl!

Ugh. Uuuugh. I know I shouldn't complain before the chapter is even out but ugh.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Do we even know anything about this character besides what they look like?

Chill.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Do we even know anything about this character besides what they look like?

Chill.

The artist is notorious for having issues with keeping his manga's storylines going strong on the long term. Him introducing weaker designed characters to deal with it while not resolving anything is sort of one of the things he does. The fact it's probably going to be one of the only female villain we're going to get for a while is pretty poo poo in my opinion, and might be the first sign of the story falling apart later.

Like I said, when the chapter comes out it'll be clearer but that won't save such a lovely design when other people in this thread couldn't even tell the artist drew it in the first place.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jojolizard? I'm pretty sure that's probably one of Stain's biggest fans. It looks like he's completely cribbing his style like a bad cosplay. Or maybe there's a villain's costume supply store they all shop at.

the scarf, the headband and hair, the physique, THE POLKA DOT MUSCLE VEST.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
"This looks different from the artist's usual style" might be the weakest complaint I've ever heard about a manga

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

People can complain when the chapter comes out.

Until then you're accomplishing about as much as a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bad Seafood posted:

People can complain when the chapter comes out.

Until then you're accomplishing about as much as a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

What if you have the power to control headless chickens as your Quirk?