Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Analogical posted:

My buddy just left his IDW board, eight hours long.

Hahahahaha what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

ManMythLegend posted:

Hahahahaha what?

Captain Post: HURR DURR, THEY THINK IDW IS A JOKE, WE'LL SHOW THEM.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 2, 2015

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Analogical posted:

Captain Post: HURR DURR, THEY THINK IDW IS A JOKE, WE'LL SHOW THEM

Jesus Christ. It's almost as if they don't realize that having an 8 hour board makes it look like more of a joke...

Analogical
May 20, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

Jesus Christ. It's almost as if they don't realize that having an 8 hour board makes it look like more of a joke...

In 2011/2012 boards were almost a whole shift and only two people in my division had EIDWS and none of my leadership. Next CO says he'll halve the length of the boards and suddenly it's russian roulette if your board will be 3 hours or 6+ hours. Latest CO tried something new where they did this weird loving "50 sailors stand in a circle facing outwards and Chiefs go person to person asking a question" that ended up with everyone passing and the command going "IT'S TOO EASY NOW" and because of that we're back to stupidly long boards in a never-ending cycle where the only thing constant is that most other NIOCs only board you on book 3 and don't have three separate pass/fail boards on the same material.

And gently caress whoever decided AGs are part of the god drat IDC.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

lol

Just lol the whole way down.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CYBERRRR WARRRFAAARRREEEE

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ManMythLegend posted:

lol

Just lol the whole way down.

SRSLY.

Is there a question about how to get Mrs. Dependa to stop putting everything on FB because if not you're missing an untapped resource.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Remember that stuff I said about cyber being the future and how we were really part of the real Navy?

I lied.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Remember that stuff I said about cyber being the future and how we were really part of the real Navy?

I lied.

Cybercom finally set up near us. Looks pretty sweet, it's at least six Conexs connected together. (Not a joke)

Your future is in good hands.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
These boards are longer than my senior in rate board was Jesus Christ what are they making you define information warfare from the beginning of computers?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yes, the on the roof gang and enigma trivia could be potential qualification questions.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Yes, the on the roof gang and enigma trivia could be potential qualification questions.

They are always qualification questions. When you get one of the 8 hour boards, they go through every single line item. Most of my friends funneled through when they were doing that stupid circlejerk-of-sailors thing, it was impossible to fail that one but it only lasted about two months. My roommate went through a three hour board last month though so getting your board info is the most deciding factor in "how many hours after shift am I going to spend in the SCIF each day studying before I can go home". You can't even take unclassified IDW material out of the building per CO policy, technically.

Half of GA is people who weren't offered quotas (9ARBs) and couldn't give a poo poo about IDW. I got it before I didn't get a quota and now I wish I hadn't bothered at all. It's such a retarded thing that I can't stop getting heated whenever I hear about it.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
8 hours is normal for IDW boards?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's an absurd amount of time for a meaningless pin.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

My friend's reading all your posts about boards for pins and he's laughing because he got his FMF pin after several firefights that led to his purple heart and combat action ribbon.

8 hours of telling dudes poo poo about information warfare? Why?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Probably because technical jobs require you to demonstrate technical knowledge... That said the boards are probably full of random bullshit that isn't applicable to poo poo.

On my 5-hour SWO board I got grilled on quite a bit of physics and detailed, in painstaking detail, how the AEGIS system works.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

On my 5-hour SWO board I got grilled on quite a bit of physics and detailed, in painstaking detail, how the AEGIS system works.

What kind of detail? I can imagine a SWO board on an AEGIS cruiser or destroyer would intentionally ask a lot about it since that system is kind of the reason for that ship existing.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Basically, the caps/lims. How the system works overall, what sub-systems in and outside of AEGIS interact with it, how and to what extent, where the pieces are located, how a loss of X will effect the overall system, etc... The largest part of it was spent on SPY and it's various subsystems which is a pretty fascinating system, frankly.

The best part is that I've only been away from AEGIS for about 3 years, but most of my knowledge on it is probably obsolete by now. No wonder reservists don't know poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My SWO board was short, sweet, and to the point. Our skipper cared primarily about the job of being a divo. He wasn't the type to drill down into pointless minutia unless you hosed up and kept digging yourself a hole.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
E6 exam was interesting. Nailed every technical question and then I hit alphabet soup answers.

My favorite question:
If today is tuesday, 1000 days from now assuming there are no leap years, what day of the week will it be?
1. 142 weeks
2. 144 weeks
3. 144 weeks and 5 days
4. 144 weeks and 6 days

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

E6 exam was interesting. Nailed every technical question and then I hit alphabet soup answers.

My favorite question:
If today is tuesday, 1000 days from now assuming there are no leap years, what day of the week will it be?
1. 142 weeks
2. 144 weeks
3. 144 weeks and 5 days
4. 144 weeks and 6 days

:wtc:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

My favorite question:
1. 142 weeks
2. 144 weeks
3. 144 weeks and 5 days
4. 144 weeks and 6 days

What are you, a Calendar Maker's Mate?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Testing for autism seems a bit late by e6.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

My favorite question:
1. 142 weeks
2. 144 weeks
3. 144 weeks and 5 days
4. 144 weeks and 6 days

That's not even right, I mean technically it would be either friday or saturday depending on where you cut your week off, monday or sunday, but none of those answers are right, its 142.5 weeks.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pandasmores posted:

My friend's reading all your posts about boards for pins and he's laughing because he got his FMF pin after several firefights that led to his purple heart and combat action ribbon.

8 hours of telling dudes poo poo about information warfare? Why?

my board for my fish was like 2hr or so. i got off really god drat easy since they only asked me to draw 1 system. most people have to draw at least 4 or 5.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Those tests make me irate and always have the most off the wall poo poo. Like I imagine a bunch of master Chiefs or whatever sitting around drinking beer in the GOAT LOCKER laughing at how ridiculous they can make the questions

I like how everyone was excited for the increase in GMT questions or whatever and then it's all about sexual harassment and rape with 4 right answers pick the best one

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

Basically, the caps/lims. How the system works overall, what sub-systems in and outside of AEGIS interact with it, how and to what extent, where the pieces are located, how a loss of X will effect the overall system, etc... The largest part of it was spent on SPY and it's various subsystems which is a pretty fascinating system, frankly.

The best part is that I've only been away from AEGIS for about 3 years, but most of my knowledge on it is probably obsolete by now. No wonder reservists don't know poo poo.

Yea I wouldn't say any of that is off the wall and is all pertinent, especially once you're sitting TAO. Most SPY and FCS baselines are very similar, the only thing you're probably out of the loop on is the ACNT/Computer/Display side.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ded posted:

my board for my fish was like 2hr or so. i got off really god drat easy since they only asked me to draw 1 system. most people have to draw at least 4 or 5.

Non-nuke for us was 1 in rate 1 nuke and 1 whatever with an in depth run down of in rate typically. For nukes it was 4 non-nuke systems and how they might effect the plant if they could. Other than that alot of casualty run through scenarios and locations of essential DC equipment

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So on my NFO board...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man I never did fleet Navy but all these quals and poo poo seem like a headache.

Or can you buy your way out of it with dip and monsters?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea I wouldn't say any of that is off the wall and is all pertinent, especially once you're sitting TAO. Most SPY and FCS baselines are very similar, the only thing you're probably out of the loop on is the ACNT/Computer/Display side.

Oh I agree, thats why when I see 8 hour birds talking about Enigma I :rolleyes:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

Oh I agree, thats why when I see 8 hour birds talking about Enigma I :rolleyes:

We just got an ET1 who was in charge of the IDW program from wherever he came from and was just talking to me about how serious IDW is as a qualification and how he turned it around after too many people got it 'too easy'. :lol:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What do these guys do, set network passwords? Lame

Analogical
May 20, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

There is no technical questions or discussion in IDW. They ask why a virus is different from a worm, why a cold front matters, all you wanted to know about satellite orbits. Books 2 and 3 is naming every intel UIC, task force and obscure organization in the IDC and pointing to it on a map so you know how many opportunities you'll never have.

People take IDW so seriously that they've made it even more of a joke. I didn't wear it on my NWUs and would tell people it's because it was a joke until DIVO ordered me to sew it on. I'm out in <1 year and I've got a job already, whatever.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Friend of mine was on the development committee or whatever it's called for IDW and the original thing was super technical and only encompassed one book so they decided it needed to have all that uic and damage control bullshit to make it take longer to get and seem like a real warfare pin.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to change the CO's toner?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Man I never did fleet Navy but all these quals and poo poo seem like a headache.

Or can you buy your way out of it with dip and monsters?

I bought a lot of qual sigs with soda, including the WEPS. The board (for sub qual) are a little tougher but if you aren't an rear end in a top hat they don't go hard on you but you do need to show some competence.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Friend of mine was on the development committee or whatever it's called for IDW and the original thing was super technical and only encompassed one book so they decided it needed to have all that uic and damage control bullshit to make it take longer to get and seem like a real warfare pin.

The requalling when you transfer from NIOC to NIOC is p. funny.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Analogical posted:

There is no technical questions or discussion in IDW. They ask why a virus is different from a worm, why a cold front matters, all you wanted to know about satellite orbits. Books 2 and 3 is naming every intel UIC, task force and obscure organization in the IDC and pointing to it on a map so you know how many opportunities you'll never have.

METOC being in the IDC will never not be hilarious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

METOC being in the IDC will never not be hilarious to me.

Best METOC portion of a morning brief was when the weather guy swore the waves were going to be awful and it was going to be rainy and windy the entire day so flight ops were going to be hard.

Went out on the catwalk and it was sunny and calm.

Intelligence professionals.

• Locked thread