Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hikaki posted:

I think the G27 killed the G29 before its even out.

Well the G29 had a point in that it was PS4 compatible, but this nullifies that because if you're gonna spend $400 on a PS4 wheel you might as well just leave the gears and get the T300/500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Hikaki posted:

I think the G27 killed the G29 before its even out.

Yeah, Logitech done hosed up trying to charge big iron hardware prices for warmed over poo poo.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you want three pedals you might be looking at a wheel that doesn't make them out of plastic ;)

oh, Dirt Rally is loving great guys. I really dig it, it's got a totally different model to Dirt before it and it's rally proper.. complex turn instructions, long stages (under 5 min total, but when you've had new corners coming at you for 2 mins and you're revving high in 4th and suddenly you get a CAUTION.. it's intense), all the cars there should be (Stratos is available in almost from the start).

Rally is really time-trial, but they're working on the RallyCross component now. I really don't care about, in Dirt it was just a terrible smashfest. Head to head happens on a track where you've got the grip and space on the track to play around, many RallyCross circuts have choke points and much of it is almost single track.. nah if you're a track racing fan the head to head on the dirt is just too cumbersome.

Oh FFB code is great. I think better than PCars, but in a rally enviroment you're going to have all sorts of interesting things going on with the wheel you don't on a track.

Yeah.. it's been worth the money for me.

So, at Sept in 2015 we have

Track Racing: Project Cars
Rally: Dirt Rally
Real car combat and upgrades and FUN : Mad Max

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 4, 2015

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Tony Montana posted:

How do the cars feel in that? I didn't like how they felt in Just Cause 2 (same dev) and more importantly I'm pretty spoiled by GTA.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hrm.

Yeah I played JC2 a lot and the driving model was awful. I remember the cars endless upshifting too, which pissed me right off.

Look, it's fine. It's better than JC2 and V8 sounds are great. The game itself it everything it should be, so if you're into Mad Max at all then you should pick it up (like 35 bucks on GMG). Compared to the games we talk about here, sure it's simplistic and there isn't a proper powerslide to be found. But it's certainly good enough.

It's about on par with GTA5, which I've spent heaps of time with too. Just remember your driving heavy V8 sedans on sand, and it models that.. which is a less.. responsive experience to flicking an open wheel car into Eau Rouge :)

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

oh, Dirt Rally is loving great guys. I really dig it, it's got a totally different model to Dirt before it and it's rally proper.. complex turn instructions, long stages (under 5 min total, but when you've had new corners coming at you for 2 mins and you're revving high in 4th and suddenly you get a CAUTION.. it's intense), all the cars there should be (Stratos is available in almost from the start).

Rally is really time-trial, but they're working on the RallyCross component now. I really don't care about, in Dirt it was just a terrible smashfest. Head to head happens on a track where you've got the grip and space on the track to play around, many RallyCross circuts have choke points and much of it is almost single track.. nah if you're a track racing fan the head to head on the dirt is just too cumbersome.

Oh FFB code is great. I think better than PCars, but in a rally enviroment you're going to have all sorts of interesting things going on with the wheel you don't on a track.

Yeah.. it's been worth the money for me.
Dirt Rally is so good we made a marginally active thread for it!

I fell a bit out of the loop on Dirt Rally for the last few weeks, but isn't Finland next? Think the second Rallycross patch dropped and that's it for it (per their current plans). For what it's worth: Rallycross is surprisingly fun, even as someone who thought it'd be a dumb waste of time holding back the addition of more proper rally action; some "circuit" action where bumping and grinding is par for the course (not to mention bits of offroading to help contact happen) is a neat change of pace compared to racing clean being the standard and incidents of not keeping it clean can be race ending as per "proper" circuit racing.

quote:

So, at Sept in 2015 we have

Track Racing: Project Cars
Rally: Dirt Rally
Flying Car Sportmans and car dress-up and MUCH FUN: Rocket League

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's true. I've had a zillion actually really good head to head Rallycross races in Dirt, so I know it can be good. You've really gotta play with friends or something though because Dirt had no damage model worth a drat (and it was always turned off) so it was just frustrating in public lobbies.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

njsykora posted:

Thrustmaster just killed the G29 before its even out. Announced a new wheel of their own with a combination gear/belt drive, PS3/4 compatibility and 1080deg rotation for $200. No clutch pedal but it is compatible with the T3PA pedals which are $100 so you could get both those for less than a G29.

Why can't Thrustmaster make a wheel like that for the PC/XBONE instead of the 300€+ italia one. I really don't relish the idea of having to buy a 300€ wheel base, with a somewhat tacky ferrari wheel. Since I ultimately also want to buy the T3PA + TH8A, buying another steering to replace the ferrari one is a bit too much.

Absorbs Smaller Goons fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 7, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Why can't Thrustmaster make a wheel like that for the PC/XBONE instead of the 300€+ italia one. I really don't relish the idea of having to buy a 300€ wheel base, with a somewhat tacky ferrari wheel. Since I ultimately also want to buy the T3PA + TH8A, buying another steering to replace the ferrari one is a bit too much.

With the cost of these wheels I would love to see Sony and MS come together to allow multi-platform compatibility. I own both consoles and want a wheel but don't want to buy wheels for both since that is very expensive and dumb. Now I have to choose which console to buy for and use a controller for the other.

Tony Montana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_sCrM1CcI

This is alot of why if you want to drive your computer iRacing is still the gold standard. None of the other games\sims seem to have this sort of connection to the real racing world.

Now.. Huttu. We don't know how confident his English is.. it sounds ok.. but his personality was interesting. It's easy to make comments about him being spergy and classic internet shut-in but I don't think that's fair. I can tell you when I came back from Europe's winter straight into Australia's summer I'd get so hot I'd want to throw up over myself as well, without the g.

He can drive the car but does he have the personality to interface with the team and eek out the performance when he just can't rely on super-sperg? Kimi will tell you (and Mika before him), yes, and well enough to do it at the highest levels. It's still interesting/excruciating to watch though haha

Throws up while while doing laps and still gets within 3 seconds of best lap. :wth:

jabro fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 8, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So there's been a shitload of content coming out for rFactor 2 lately because ISI have finally noticed that they need some content and I recommend everyone who has it takes the new GT-R NISMO around Bathurst.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I've been driving 50vFOV/80hFOV forever now. I knew that was too high but I thought it was well inside the fudge zone for a realistic FOV.

Today I decided to try the proper calculated FOV for my setup, which turned out to be 35v/60h:

This feels so slow.
Oh poo poo I was way faster than I thought.
Hey, the front of my car doesn't look like a wedge anymore!
I have been driving some weird distorted versions of these tracks all this time.
I never want to go back.

Also, this doesn't make sense, but I swear I'm able to catch drifts better.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 12, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It makes perfect sense. FOV is way more important than people realize.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People get so caught up in "I want to see the whole cockpit while I'm driving." So their crazy wide FOV makes everything all squished and it makes everything look like it's going faster. That was my big realization when I switched to a better FOV. Everything got bigger and everything slowed down. And you should be able to catch drifts better.

If you're driving properly, you're looking down the road. This by itself makes it easy to catch drifts. The farther you look away, the slower things move across the screen when you're spinning. So you can look at a tree or a sign or something and move your wheel around to put whatever you're looking at in front of you. If you look just past your hood, everything moves so fast, you're not able lock on to anything fast enough to correct your steering. Using that, plus a good FOV, which makes the world past your hood bigger, makes it really easy to catch slides.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

njsykora posted:

So there's been a shitload of content coming out for rFactor 2 lately because ISI have finally noticed that they need some content and I recommend everyone who has it takes the new GT-R NISMO around Bathurst.

This and also the C6R is a goddamn amazing combination. The lighting in B998 looks amazing in early or late hours.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I normally wouldn't bother to post single car mods since I expect people are going to find the cars they want anyway, but this Caterham R500 for SCE is terrific fun: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/caterham-r500.7184/

The only thing I don' t like is the backfire sounds, they are too loud and garage-y, so I deleted them for now.

Edit:

I think I'm going to work on a FOV section for the OP. While I'm at it, is there anything else that needs updating? IMO the general points about the different games still stand.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 12, 2015

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Norns posted:

It makes perfect sense. FOV is way more important than people realize.

When I first started iRacing I had some stupidly massive FOV because I was terrified about not seeing cars alongside me and blindly smashing into them.

Turns out with the spotter, mirror, relative position indicator and a little common sense you have a pretty good idea where other cars are and where you need to be to race cleanly even when you can't directly see them.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Helicon One posted:

relative position indicator

woah lemme know how you get this in iracing t i a helicon.

or do you mean for other games

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Uh, press F3

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Uh, press F3

HOLY poo poo COJA

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
drat, that Caterham is hard to control, the AI struggles mightily too. Here's a (slow) lap on Bathurst, those steep corners are terrifying, just a litte too fast and you're gone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsAJ9x4z7_c

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This $2000 Stock car extreme indiegogo package...

Earns: -Dev forum access; -Voting rights in forum; -Beta access to new builds; -Steam copy for our next game (including all eventual DLCs); -Reiza collectors kit with DVD copies of Formula Truck 2013 & Stock Car Extreme + Reiza Sticker + Reiza T-Shirt; -A poster of Emerson Fittipaldi in his Copersucar, signed by legendary 2-time F1 champion himself; -A trip to the final race of Stock Car series from the VIP stands of Interlagos along with Reiza crew, all travelling & local expenses paid

Seems kinda cheap if you look at it as a cool vacation, and I need a vacation.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
God help me, aside from stuff in the arcades I've never done any driving games aside from GTA or what have you. Then, Friday night, I bought project cars on a whim and tried to take a 2015 Mustang GT around that Nurburgring thing I'd heard Top Gear talk about (I couldn't). By the end of the first session I started to realize this was like riding a motorcycle and I needed to plan a line, be smooth with my inputs, etc. Now I've just bought a Logitech g27 and I'm looking at youtube videos for making a racing frame. I don't think I've ever developed an interest in any other hobby so quickly.

The frame really does seem like it's a bit much for now; can this g27 steering wheel and shifter be mounted to any suitably sturdy table? I'm thinking I'll just set aside my mouse and keyboard and put the wheel and shifter in their place?

Edit: Also in Project Cars I should have one of the top 15 times in the 2015 Mustang GT for Willow Springs Raceway. Someone go destroy my time so I can chase your ghost :)

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 13, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Are you asking if you can a attach a G27 to a table? Look in the manual.. The answer is yes.

I got motivated and I'm putting together my first YouTubr video with VoiceOver for PCars.. I take the BMW 320 Turbo 5 to Imola and talk about setup and do some laps. Ill post it here when done and welcome all your feedback :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
A good desktop table works, I did it like that for quite some time, but for me getting a permanent setup made all the difference. Just being able to sit your rear end down and start driving without having to set up anything at least trippled the time I'm spending in front of the wheel.

Also, if you haven't used the wheel yet, be prepared: For many people the first couple hours suck, until it clicks.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I've come to this realization too. Marked out some space in the spare room for a perm setup, dragging the wheel out everytime is certainly a barrier to just putting in some laps when you feel like it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Can someone please point me to some recommended FF settings for Project Cars with a Fanatec CSR Elite? These options and the explanations they give.. :psyduck:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
.. are pretty much the most detailed and accurate you'll find in any Racing Sim ever. For years in Codemasters games we postulated on forums about what this or that setting actually meant, I found PCars to explain it to an unprecedented level. When I get back to my home city I can be more specific but here are some general tips. Wheel weight is how much the wheel pushes back against your inputs, simulating the resistance friction of tires. This can be frustrating and over long races can cause fatigue so it may seem like a good idea to turn this right down for a really light wheel.. but this resistance can also be how the FFB (depending on that particular implementation of it) communicates traction. It goes lighter, just as real car does, when traction is broken. So turning this right down to nothing to make it easy can reduce the amount of information you get relating to this.

There may be a couple of settings regarding this concept, you can look it up.

Often there will be a centering spring or center strength. This is different to above and is just the force the wheel will use to return to the middle. Real cars don't really have much of this at all and if you put turn into the wheel and take your hands off the car just keep going in the direction you left it. Of course production cars may have 'quality of life' kind of features that help little old ladies remember how to drive straight.

Then you'll have environmental effects, which is how hard it'll simulate the ripples and other track features.

Not specific to PCars but quality driving sims in general, I find I want wheel weight the lowest I can without losing too much traction information. I want centre spring almost off entirely, it'll return to center on its own but I don't want to fight that and wheel weight every time I turn the wheel. Then environmental is usually maximum just so I can feel it over the previous two effects, signaling something is happening you should be aware of (like you've put a rear wheel on the ripple you can't see.. so take it easy with that throttle).

I might do something more PCars specific later.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Can someone please point me to some recommended FF settings for Project Cars with a Fanatec CSR Elite? These options and the explanations they give.. :psyduck:

Check this out:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35147-Baseline-FFB-values-Linear-FFB-Google-sheet-Universal&p=1110835&viewfull=1#post1110835

I've got a Fanatec GT2 wheel and I start with the "classic" preset then adjust based on the stuff in that thread/app and it gives a pretty good result.

Edit: I'm also using Jack Spade's FFB tweaks which I would recommend.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah I've come to this realization too. Marked out some space in the spare room for a perm setup, dragging the wheel out everytime is certainly a barrier to just putting in some laps when you feel like it.

You should look to get a cockpit of some kind if you really get into it though. Not saying spend stupid money but look at the Playseat which I've heard is pretty decent now or just get some wood and knock together a basic DIY frame you can keep adding to.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Absolutely. Already been planning options for a while :) this weekend me and an ancient friend decided we want to build a track day car together.. Part of my fledgling little team will be our sim ;)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Tony Montana posted:

.. are pretty much the most detailed and accurate you'll find in any Racing Sim ever. For years in Codemasters games we postulated on forums about what this or that setting actually meant, I found PCars to explain it to an unprecedented level.

Thanks for the attempted answer, and not to be a dick, but unless we're looking at different menus, not much of what you said appears applicable to Project Cars. There's no setting called wheel weight, there's no centering force option, though there are some spring ratio settings which I guess that might be related to. Instead we have settings like tire force, which apparently is a percentage of tire-related forces which influence ff calculations but the slider goes to 200%, which doesn't seem to make much sense. Then we have such self-explanatory titles as per wheel movement, per wheel movement squared, relative adjust gain, bleed and clamp, scoop knee, scoop reduction, etc. etc.

Some are explained (not that I can immediately make sense of the explanations), some are not. I suspect some curve graphs or something to illustrate might help.

I'll check those links out and do some tweaking, thanks guys.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I would have used "laid open" instead of "explained". You can adjust things to a very high degree, unlike for example AC where you can set the pretty much only the overall strength, but it requires quite a bit of experience with FFB to make much sense of all those options.

Look at this, the most basic settings, and imagine you've never had anything to do with an FFB wheel before:

What do any of these translate to in terms of how the wheel feels? Is any of these settings overall turning resistance? Which setting increases the feeling for understeer? Oversteer?

I imagine pCars is probaly going to get more people in front of the wheel for the first time than any of the other games in the OP, so some additional info like "If you want to feel understeer better, raise these and/or lower these" would have been helpful. People who stay with the hobby can always go for the deep dive later.

Anyway, for me, after much playing around I've come back to the default settings, the only adjustement per car I make is Master Scale. And make sure the FFB is set to 100 in the control settings.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, I'm sure the people who splashed out $1000+ on a CSW or Accuforce absolutely love PCars' ridiculous FFB settings but if you have a G27 chances are you're not going to feel most of that stuff anyway.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Guys I'm excited. It's not a HUGE upgrade. But I'm replacing my a G27 with a Thrustmaster TX, with the upgraded pedals and shifter. First belt driven wheel I've used.

I also have a playseat challange on the way so can use the drat thing with Forza 6 (real reason for the upgrade)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Guys I'm excited. It's not a HUGE upgrade. But I'm replacing my a G27 with a Thrustmaster TX, with the upgraded pedals and shifter. First belt driven wheel I've used.

I also have a playseat challange on the way so can use the drat thing with Forza 6 (real reason for the upgrade)

This is an upgrade I'm gonna look to make as my christmas present, though it might be a T300 if they don't do that wheel + T3PA pedals package with the TX.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Fanatec is probably going to announce new products around the start or middle of October, and depending on the amount of my upcoming raise I'll be picking up ClubSport stuff or whatever they announce. Wheel base will probably wait a bit, as they're so drat expensive, but those v3 pedals look pretty sexy.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I finally got around to giving pCARS a proper go last night and WHOA the 125cc shifter Kart is super fun. It's extremely forgiving, and just a bit tail happy. If you're going into a corner too hard and start understeering, just downshift!

I also ran the Caterham Classic Seven around Chadswith(?) or something which was a huge departure from the Kart, but so much fun. I'm looking forward to getting more into this in my iRacing off time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't like the karts much because once you lose it, there's no recovery. You just instantly spin out and slowly pick your way out of the grass.

Up until you hit that point, they do feel pretty good. Super responsive and they feel faster than they are because the tracks are so small.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CaseFace McGee posted:

Fanatec is probably going to announce new products around the start or middle of October, and depending on the amount of my upcoming raise I'll be picking up ClubSport stuff or whatever they announce. Wheel base will probably wait a bit, as they're so drat expensive, but those v3 pedals look pretty sexy.

What could they announce? I know they just announced a new CSW rim for Forza and beyond just more rims I can't see anything else coming out of them other than a V3 CSW base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

njsykora posted:

What could they announce? I know they just announced a new CSW rim for Forza and beyond just more rims I can't see anything else coming out of them other than a V3 CSW base.

I'm half expecting a CSW v3, but the main thing I'm predicting is a replacement for the CSR. I bet it will be somewhere in between the CSR and CSR-elite in terms of features, since there are so many competitors at or just below that price point. Probably $5-600 total for wheel and pedals.

• Locked thread