Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Fair enough letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm surprised he didn't throw net spend out there, would have been a nice cherry on top
inflation adjusted is the new net spend my friend

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Nostradamus predicted United's transfer window, makes u think

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Just hear me out,

I'm a 20 year old, a Chelsea fan since birth, and born and raised in the era of gaming. Ever since I picked up a copy of FIFA 1999 on Playstation 1, football games have been a passion of mine.

So many hours wasted, errr, invested

While it's easy to scoff at such past times, dismissing them as child's play and unrealistic, the fact is that there is some wisdom buried in the programming of FIFA and Football Manager.

I will focus on three main areas of FIFA for a tactical comparison: 1) Player work-rates. 2) The value of pace as an attribute. 3) Formations and Tactics.

Let's take the example of Chelsea's recent (and still very raw) mauling at the hands of City.

Before a game of FIFA, you are given an opportunity to set up your team. The aim is to set up in a way which counters your opponent's strengths and allows yours to flourish, not too dissimilar to the weekly task of an actual football manager.

Far be it from my place to tell our manager how to do his job, our lineup was a miscalculated gamble. The key dangers posed by City come from Aguero, Silva and Toure, and we failed to handle these at a heavy price. Aguero's threat comes from his pace, and his ability to time his runs in order to get in behind defences. This couples beautifully with Silva's passing, making City a real threat if given space in the opposition's defensive third. Finally, Yaya's power is what will allow this space to be created, often drawing two or three men to stop his marauding runs.

From the first minute, when Aguero was put through and denied by Begovic, it was clear that we had failed to set up properly. Terry and Cahill are fantastic when sitting deep, but do not have the pace to catch players like Aguero once they're in behind, and this was enabled when we played a relatively high line. It took Jose too long to react, eventually bringing on Zouma at half time.

Matic spent most of the game occupied with handling Toure, which he did to decent effect. The issue was that this left Fabregas (supported loosely by Ramires) to deal with Silva, and Cesc looked off-the-pace for virtually the entire game.

It was a perfect storm for the Blues, as Hazard had a bit of an off game, Costa looked isolated, and Willian was forced to drop and defend. We lost the midfield battle, and it cost us dearly.

So what guidance could FIFA offer when dealing with these situations in the future?

1) Defence, 'The Pace Issue'

As mentioned, Terry and Cahill do not have the pace to deal with pacey strikers unless we park the infamous bus. On FIFA 15, Terry's 'Acceleration' stat was only 34 , with Cahill's a more respectable 69. Zouma's also sits on 69, while Aguero's is an eye-watering 93. While Terry has been, and still is a huge asset for Chelsea, we have to recognise that he's getting on, and FIFA shows you how much of a mismatch it was against Aguero.

JT just doesn't have the pace these days

From a gamer's perspective, it would have made a lot more sense to start Cahill and Zouma, coupled with a slightly deeper lying defence and midfield. It involves some swallowing of pride when it comes to benching JT and taking bus-parking jibes, but it could have been more effective.

2) Midfield, 'Work Rates'

We all know that Matic is our staple defensive midfielder. He sits back, breaks up play and enables our frontmen to wreak havoc. This is evidenced by his workrates on FIFA, 'Medium' for attacking and 'High' for defending, perfect for a defensive midfielder.

For the more 'winnable' games, Matic can handle the defensive midfield duties perfectly well on his own. City away is not one of these games, particularly when you have Silva and Toure patrolling the pitch. We lined up with Fabregas in a central role, with 'High' attacking and 'Medium' defensive workrates on FIFA evidence of his tendency to track back slowly.

He was supported by Ramires whose workrates are 'High' for both attacking and defending. Known as a hard worker for the team, this again summarises Ramires' ideas of being up and down as opposed to simply sitting deep. Perhaps a better option would have been to play Mikel, the man many of us love to hate, alongside Matic. He shares Nemanja's 'Medium' attacking and 'High' defensive workrates due to his love of sitting back. While Mikel is often Chelsea's equivalent of a full-time whistle, a defensive 0-0 is still better than a valiant but embarrassing 3-0 defeat.

3) Tactics and Formations

I know it's easy to say this stuff in hindsight, but we approached the game badly. Missing Oscar, fullback cover and our starting keeper, we shouldn't have used a higher-than-normal line and gone for the win.

Our two defensive mids were outfought by their three man gang of Silva, Toure and Fernandinho. Sterling was used to keep Ivanovic busy and leave our centre backs exposed, while Kompany and Mangala stuck tight to Costa which cut off our attacking outlets.

What Chelsea do brilliantly (and usually to the disgust of other teams' fans) is park the bus. I'm baffled as to why we didn't do just that against City. A very deep line would have meant Terry and Cahill working fine, and coupled with a more defensive minded midfield and attack we could have frustrated City and turned the game into a street fight, as opposed to taking them on in open combat and on their terms.

FIFA gives you the option to do just what we do best, via the custom tactic 'park the bus'. Couple this with the other points and maybe we walk away from the Ethiad with a point or better.

As I've said, this stuff is easy to say in hindsight, and as a 20 year old struggling through his degree I'm in no position to act like I know best. That said, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing if Chelsea's tactics division kicked back with a game of FIFA once in a while.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
born and raised in the era of gaming

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Lol just lol

but he's right about everything

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Drogadon posted:

Nostradamus predicted United's transfer window, makes u think

code:
    When the litters are overturned by the whirlwind and faces are covered by cloaks, the new republic will be troubled by its people. At this time the reds and the whites will rule wrongly.

Hoping that this isn't referring to the Premier league's inception, and our domination of it. But here goes...

Litters are overturned by the whirlwind

Premier league is formed, new money is being pumped into English football after the 1990 World Cup success.

Faces covered in cloaks

England is loving cold, we all know that. People obviously cover up at winter games or run the risk of losing half their face to frostbite.

The new republic will be troubled by its people

Republic meaning Premier league again. Dominance by "the big 4", the rest of the teams in the league not getting as much financial support.

At this time the reds and the whites will rule wrongly.

Hope this one isn't true. But the timeline matches up.... We play in red/white kits, and have been dominating the Premier League since its inception until SAF left... 
Now that the financial state of the Premier League has changed, and the other clubs are getting a similar level of financial support from playing in the league as the "Big 4", who knows..

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm now 23 years old (I know that's young to some people but I coach/scout/watch alot of football and read alot of 365) and Wenger has been in charge for 19 years. All I've known is Wenger. My family support Chelsea but I grew up loving Arsenal (Henry). However, now it is 2015 and Wenger has been running the club questionably (to put it nicely) for the last 6 years. It is hard to support a team who's actions you don't support. From the often ineffective style of play, the consistent sale of club captains (I haven't forgotten and it was insanity not to bring back Cesc when you was the one of brought him to the PL) to complete blind spots in the transfers window.

This season I will be neutral. Wenger has finally extinguished my passion for supporting Arsenal. When he leaves I will be a happy man. Thanks for the memories but clubs are responding like it's 2015 and Wenger is standing with his hands in his pockets.

Oh and please don't say there was no one to sign. I could name five European based players who either moved or where available this summer in every postion Arsenal needed to strenghen. Wenger sees the currently squad that finished 3rd last season good enough, the whole football world things he is wrong but there is nothing anyone can do. Arsenal have a transfer budget as big as any of the other big spenders in England, there is literally no excuse.

My main reason for sharing this was so fans of other clubs could have some understanding of what it is like to be an Arsenal fan of my generation. We grew up on unbeaten good times now we have the same manager offering us this squad. Oh and I won't even start on the ticket price situation but it's safe to say I've been priced out.

CJR, Ex-AFC (If your club needs a fan this season, let me know)

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 3, 2015

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

trem_two posted:

I'm a 20 year old, a Chelsea fan since birth

Pogba avatar.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
Crystal Palace – Surely you meant a team like Chelsea, right? No. I am completely serious about the Crystal Palace side for this season’s title, or at the very least, a competitive title challenger. And no, it is not just because they signed Cabaye. Defensively, the Crystal Palace side has successfully fended off super clubs such as Arsenal and Chelsea. Their defense and midfield play was above what you would expect from a small-money club, which kept Arsenal on their toes — barely giving them a win — and keeping Chelsea at bay when they could easily have scored an equalizing goal to their 2 – 1 defeat. And with three wins in the last four games, you can tell that their transfers and their offensive plays are working.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Lightbulb Grease posted:

Crystal Palace – Surely you meant a team like Chelsea, right? No. I am completely serious about the Crystal Palace side for this season’s title, or at the very least, a competitive title challenger. And no, it is not just because they signed Cabaye. Defensively, the Crystal Palace side has successfully fended off super clubs such as Arsenal and Chelsea. Their defense and midfield play was above what you would expect from a small-money club, which kept Arsenal on their toes — barely giving them a win — and keeping Chelsea at bay when they could easily have scored an equalizing goal to their 2 – 1 defeat. And with three wins in the last four games, you can tell that their transfers and their offensive plays are working.

Just as importantly, Pardew.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

TheBigAristotle posted:

(If your club needs a fan this season, let me know)

He should start charging.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lightbulb Grease posted:

lmao who said this

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

straight up brolic posted:

lmao who said this

Think Football: The Thinking Person's Football Website

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

When I think top four, I think Crystal Palace

pdog
May 7, 2013

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

When I think top four, I think Crystal Palace

This isn't as bad, however Paul Merson is paid by Sky to come up with this poo poo

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

pdog posted:

This isn't as bad, however Paul Merson is paid by Sky to come up with this poo poo

I dunno that checks out

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

pdog posted:

expert liverpool trolling

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

pdog posted:

Lot of long shots in there, unlike Merson to gamble like that.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

pdog posted:

Eh, that could legitimately happen to be fair.

I used to quite enjoy watching Merson play, he was a good footballer, but I absolutely can't stand him now. He also hates Liverpool for some reason.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

Eh, that could legitimately happen to be fair.

I used to quite enjoy watching Merson play, he was a good footballer, but I absolutely can't stand him now. He also hates Liverpool for some reason.
not as much as he hates their fans

getting their hopes up of finishing above spurs and swansea, a genuis troll lmao

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
edit: too hosed up

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

seriously just delete that man

thats even too hosed up for this forum

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
I'm gay

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 5, 2015

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

edit your quotes weve gone too far

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
we did

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
LOL loving hell

Just pretend I quoted what ephex said to me in the feral thread back at him

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Way to melt down, lads.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

JFairfax posted:

LOL loving hell

Just pretend I quoted what ephex said to me in the feral thread back at him

so you think this is a cool and good thing?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
nice humanitarian meltdown

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Weaponized Cum posted:

nice humanitarian meltdown

looks like you dont give a crud

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Our forum

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I mean, he's wearing a United shirt ffs, that's disgusting.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Is it

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

What is it? I'm at work and don't want to click it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Drogadon posted:

It's Ronald taking a free kick but the ball is that Syrian kid.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Drogadon posted:

yer mam

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Glad I didn't click it then, gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Right thread