Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

If a state does not touch an ocean, it is a flyover state.

Which is why Florida is such an awesome destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

Which is why Florida is such an awesome destination.

Yeah I thought long and hard about adding a Florida disclaimer, but if I had my way I'd write off the entire least coast. I guess you could say that florida is an acceptable place to visit, just never live there?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
As a Floridan, I have to agree with that. Come here for the winter and then gently caress off. You will be happier that way.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Double right turn with protected arrows, No Turn on Red. Sitting at the turn with a woman in an SUV on her phone on my right. Turn lights come on, we both go, I notice she's not going as... curved as she ought to be so I don't crank it into the turn like I usually do and sit a few feet behind her (but in my lane) during the turn. Probably saved my life.

She turned directly into my lane and half way across the double yellow into the oncoming lane (which was fortunately empty) so I laid on my horn to make sure she even noticed I was there which prompted a finger out the window (with her other hand still holding the phone to her ear) and her standing on her brake to come to a complete stop in the road before taking off and weaving all over the lane.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ahh the SUV bob and weave. a classic motoring technique to signal to lesser vehicles that you are coming through

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
What about Colorado?

Its nice and all. Ski Hills

The highest road in North America, Tundra and all that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wildemere posted:

What about Colorado?

Its nice and all. Ski Hills

The highest road in North America, Tundra and all that.

Until you go ten miles east of Denver. Then it's basically Nebraska.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My favorite fact about Wyoming is that more people live in the city of Portland Oregon than in the entire state of Wyoming. And not Portland metro, just the city limits.

My favorite joke involving Wyoming is the one where the blonde girl in the office is ridiculed all the time for being dumb. Finally one day she's had enough, and says "I'm going to prove to all of you that I'm smart! I'm going to go home and learn all the state capitols!

So she studied late into the night, and once she believed she finally had them all she went to bed.

The next day the office was chuckling and murmuring as she walked in, and a co-worker spoke up: "So did you learn all the state capitols?" "Yes" She said. "Quiz me!".

"Okay, what is the capitol of Wyoming?"

She panicked for a second, then a smile spread across her face as she loudly exclaimed "W!"

edit: Sorry thought I was reading the chat thread.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

edit: Sorry thought I was reading the chat thread.
Also: "capital"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

sleepy.eyes posted:

As a Floridan, I have to agree with that. Come here for the winter and then gently caress off. You will be happier that way.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
TIL that this is a thing you can do in Oregon.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I'd be in court weekly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SneakyFrog posted:

I'd be in court weekly.

Only weekly? I'd probably be there at least several times per week.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PT6A posted:

Only weekly? I'd probably be there at least several times per week.

Eh I'm too much of a poor to take that much time off

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

SneakyFrog posted:

I'd be in court weekly.

Time for me to get a dash cam.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SneakyFrog posted:

Eh I'm too much of a poor to take that much time off

Just set up a Patreon.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Uthor posted:

Just set up a Patreon.

poo poo. With the right costume selection and the right music I too could be an intarnet supahstarrr.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

SneakyFrog posted:

poo poo. With the right costume selection and the right music I too could be an intarnet supahstarrr.

This is honestly a pretty great idea. Actual legal vigilante justice.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

SneakyFrog posted:

That actually sounds plausible. Everyone hates the people they consider assholes on the road. What would be better than seeing people like that capture on dashcam, brought to court, and ticketed - all by an "average joe"?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sigma X posted:

That actually sounds plausible. Everyone hates the people they consider assholes on the road. What would be better than seeing people like that capture on dashcam, brought to court, and ticketed - all by an "average joe"?

The great part is there's no way for someone to measure your speed, so speeding enforcement will still have do be done by law enforcement alone. This would just catch drivers in the act of doing something really stupid or visibly careless (like texting and driving).

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
The only lovely part is having to visually identify the driver, so good luck without a dashcam. Aren't there cams with side views?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Naturally, a hero-mobile would be required.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Slather the car in GoPros

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HardDisk posted:

One way I have fun manage to not kill myself while stuck in traffic is seeing if I can accompany the car ahead of me using only the clutch.

This plus seeing how long I can go without ever touching my brakes or allowing too large of a gap in front of me is the only way I stay sane in stop and go traffic. There's something really satisfying about rolling for like two miles while everyone around you is constantly lurching to a halt. It always gets hosed up by people who ride their brakes or refuse to brake predictably, though. :smith:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SyHopeful posted:

The only lovely part is having to visually identify the driver, so good luck without a dashcam. Aren't there cams with side views?

The easiest way to do this would probably be on motorcycle with a cam on your helmet. You would easily be able to pull right up next to them and capture their face. Even a short honk could get them to look right at you while you flip them off and wheelie away to the police department.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Paradoxish posted:

This plus seeing how long I can go without ever touching my brakes or allowing too large of a gap in front of me is the only way I stay sane in stop and go traffic. There's something really satisfying about rolling for like two miles while everyone around you is constantly lurching to a halt. It always gets hosed up by people who ride their brakes or refuse to brake predictably, though. :smith:

I've had people behind me get so furious about that before. Like, don't you notice that we're going a nearly constant speed and moving forward the same distance as everyone else, except not gunning it forward 100 feet and then slamming on the brakes over and over again? Is this not better?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

wayfinder posted:

Also: "capital"

God dammit, I double checked that too but misunderstood what I was reading.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Here's something I've been seeing a poo poo ton more of lately. I drive vintage streetcars for a living. We're like trains in that we're on a pair of steel rails and can't deviate from that unless something goes terribly wrong. Here at Cole and Lemmon, the streetcar starts in the far left lane of Cole, then makes a wide left turn and ends up in the right lane of Lemmon. I've marked the streetcar route in yellow. The blue line is what I've been seeing more and more automobiles try to do lately - turn left out of the center right in front of us.

But here's the deal: on all of my four axle streetcars, the back end of my vehicle swings out fairly wide as I make this turn. Usually what ends up happening is I start making the turn, get halfway through, and an automobile ends up hanging out right where the back end of my car will swing out and hit them, so I have to stop in such a way that the streetcar is blocking the entire loving intersection. Sometimes they see the error of their ways and go straight, but more often than not I have to open the doors to the streetcar and exaggeratedly indicate that they need to go straight, not turn there.

Despite the fact that this has been going on for thirteen years, there's no road signage that says you can turn left only if you're in the left lane. Since people don't want to wait a few extra seconds to let me get out of the way (the turn takes five seconds, tops), I have to be the rear end in a top hat one way or another, either by telling them to move or hitting them with the rear end of a vehicle twenty five times heavier than them. I love this job, I just hate sharing my right of way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

jamal posted:

I've had people behind me get so furious about that before. Like, don't you notice that we're going a nearly constant speed and moving forward the same distance as everyone else, except not gunning it forward 100 feet and then slamming on the brakes over and over again? Is this not better?
Derps gonna derp. I've experienced this a bunch of times. My favorite is when they make a series of aggressive passes in stop and go traffic to get around you and end up going no faster than if they had stayed in their lane.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

El Jebus posted:

The easiest way to do this would probably be on motorcycle with a cam on your helmet. You would easily be able to pull right up next to them and capture their face. Even a short honk could get them to look right at you while you flip them off and wheelie away to the police department.

Sounds like a great way to get murdered!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

mobby_6kl posted:

Sounds like a great way to get murdered!

If they killed you, at least they wouldn't be on the road any more?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just buy a fast bike. Keep that middle finger over your head as you peel away and wave it as they futilely attempt to keep up. Wheel up in front of the police station with your SD card in hand and take it inside with the most smug expression you can manage.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

jamal posted:

On the other hand, every now and then I'll get someone behind me who gets the idea and it'll create a nice little patch of smoothed out traffic in a sea of poo poo. :unsmith:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Had a guy in a sedan decide that he'd try to stomp his accelerator and change lanes when I was next to him on my bike in traffic earlier. He A) Almost rear-ended the guy ahead of me, and B) Made it half-way into my lane before running out of space to try and pass me.

And I just continued on merrily while he started swearing up a storm out his window.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Paradoxish posted:

On the other hand, every now and then I'll get someone behind me who gets the idea and it'll create a nice little patch of smoothed out traffic in a sea of poo poo. :unsmith:

I try doing this too, I've had assholes honk at me when we're in almost dead-stop traffic, just because when a car ahead creeped up i left space for someone to merge ahead of me. Shocking I know, but then again I've actually relaxed a LOT behind the wheel just from taking different routes to work and leaving sooner so I can avoid the messy traffic and laugh at the dipshits that apparently care so little about their job or other people that they have to constantly tailgate and get pissy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I was overtaking two cement mixers when I see this guy, rather this kid 16 or 17, in an old Ford Explorer gunning it out of a connecting road, I was in an old corolla so acceleration was kind of at a premium but I relent just so I don't have his lights turning my cabin into the surface of the sun. I swerve back right and he does the same, tailgates me while flashing his fog lights for a good while and then slams out of the lane and books it.

Few minutes later I find him on his side blocking a roundabout exit. I thinkhope he heard me laughing.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Paradoxish posted:

Had a semi truck driver go absolutely insane behind me for this. I'd just idle along and he'd accelerate then brake hard and then just resorted to blowing his air horn at me. All for leaving a gap in front of me of about 2 car lengths and letting the buffer work to my advantage.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Just buy a fast bike. Keep that middle finger over your head as you peel away and wave it as they futilely attempt to keep up. Wheel up in front of the police station with your SD card in hand and take it inside with the most smug expression you can manage.

So you're advocating intentionally antagonizing other drivers so you can use an archaic law to write them the traffic citation equivalent of a citizens' arrest?

You're the person we share a road with :ughh:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Geoj posted:

So you're advocating intentionally antagonizing other drivers so you can use an archaic law to write them the traffic citation equivalent of a citizens' arrest?

The middle fingering is for after they've committed the offense without any prompting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geoj posted:

I'm not sure you're getting this internet comedy forum thing.