Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

I'd rather deal with a gator tbh they're more predictable and grow slower. And you can tape their mouth shut.

Edit: I asked a black throat owner what their adults eat and he said: 10-15 chicks or a dozen cooked eggs or 4 one foot long fish or 6-10 medium rats. Every three days. O.o

Given this is a very very very very non-pro opinion but I wouldn't feed those eggs. I would just feed whole prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
That's just because you want to hoard all the eggs for yourself.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I could see feeding eggs as a way to save cash since even with the increase in egg prices 3 dozen eggs, will be like ~12 a week, but if that is all you can afford to feed your giant rear end monitor, you shouldn't have one.

Monitors are awesome and I would love to have one, but I am smart enough to know that I don't have to space to take care of one nor the desire to spend all that money on food for one creature and definitely don't want to clean up those turds.

It is the same reason that even though I really really really really want a Tegu, I will probably never get one. Maybe I will one day, but just like a monitor keeping them in a cage all their lives in pretty cruel. Once it gets decently large, it would still have an enclosure as a warm safe place to nap, but would basically be free roaming with the dog.

When I was at repticon last year, dude had his Tegu there for people to pet and look at while he was selling other things. Told me a story. He bought a burrito and set it on the end table and got up take a leak. Came back to find the Tegu running off with the burrito.

The other big reason I don't have one is I prefer not to have an animal that can ruin my day if it is in a bad mood and decides to bite me. Yeah when my BTS grows up, it has the ability to possibly break a finger, but that is a far cry from a Monitor or Tegu that can take off that finger or possibly a whole hand.

Speaking of BTS bites, the breeder I got Buttercup from says that she gets 1 or 2 babies a year that come out of mama and are immediately huffy bitey jerks. The one I fell in love with is one of those jerks. I've been bitten so many times and it is hilarious to me. You can kinda just see its mind at work when it stares down my hand then slowly inches its mouth towards my fingers to see if I'll move away before chomping down. It'll grown out of it eventually so I'm not worried or anything.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 2, 2015

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Cless Alvein posted:

When I was at repticon last year, dude had his Tegu there for people to pet and look at while he was selling other things. Told me a story. He bought a burrito and set it on the end table and got up take a leak. Came back to find the Tegu running off with the burrito.

Tegus are not graceful eaters, I can imagine the mess one eating a burrito would make

Like but with chili and lettuce being sprayed up the wall

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I really wanted to get a tegu for a while. I planned turning a basement room into a tegu room. I made blueprints and priced everything out. Then I saw a story from a woman on FB whose tegu bit off AND ATE his tail because it somehow landed in his food.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Cless Alvein posted:

Speaking of BTS bites, the breeder I got Buttercup from says that she gets 1 or 2 babies a year that come out of mama and are immediately huffy bitey jerks. The one I fell in love with is one of those jerks. I've been bitten so many times and it is hilarious to me. You can kinda just see its mind at work when it stares down my hand then slowly inches its mouth towards my fingers to see if I'll move away before chomping down. It'll grown out of it eventually so I'm not worried or anything.

Really? I've heard babies tend to be huffy and bitey in general. Mine is also that way, very defensive. She is getting a lot better though, probably partially through growing and maybe hopefully partially from me trying to earn her trust and get her used to me and my giant evil hands. She's reactive but she seems to calm down faster and faster over time.

monoceros4
Sep 1, 2006

As good at chess as Alekhine's cat

Triangulum posted:

maybe theyre delicious you dont know

eat your monitor monceres its a better idea than your idiot plan

Not exactly MY plan! I'm just along for the ride. Though, if it really does come down to a decision between the two cats and the lizard, I'm sure I can find Gibbs and Sarah nice homes elsewhere. Perhaps on a distant farm.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

monoceros4 posted:

Not exactly MY plan! I'm just along for the ride. Though, if it really does come down to a decision between the two cats and the lizard, I'm sure I can find Gibbs and Sarah nice homes elsewhere. Perhaps on a distant farm.

Rehome the cats you already had for the giant ravenous dinosaur you impulse bought good plan friend

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
is 'on a distant farm'' a euphemism for 'in my hell lizard's stomach'

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Seriously though, who did you get it from? I have a strong suspicion that it was an importer, not a breeder and if that's the case it probably has worms.

Edit: You can PM me the name if you're not comfortable saying it publicly and I can find out if they are an importer or a breeder. Captive bred vs. wild caught is information you need to know for the health of the animal.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 2, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

HondaCivet posted:

Really? I've heard babies tend to be huffy and bitey in general. Mine is also that way, very defensive. She is getting a lot better though, probably partially through growing and maybe hopefully partially from me trying to earn her trust and get her used to me and my giant evil hands. She's reactive but she seems to calm down faster and faster over time.

Yeah she says most of hers turn out to be really tame even as babes.

http://www.captivebred.com
In case anybody wanted to see who I got it from.

I ordered some stuff from Amazon and since it is a shipping add-on item, I bought some of Zoomeds snails in a can. Holy poo poo did he start devouring those things like crazy. The dog wanted to try one too. She spit it out and then tried to roll on it to get that snail stank all up in her fur.

I haven't said much about my cage from pvccages. I got it a while back and set it, but haven't made the move yet cuz I found out quickly the 2 included air vents were not enough and the glass quickly condensed over once the heating and lights were turned on. So waiting for my vents and 3inch cutter to come in so I can add in more airflow and allow the bugger to move into his perm home. Obviously half blocked off since I'm sure a barely 2 month old Skink would go crazy with 4 feet of room to run around in.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 3, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's a weird idea to me. Don't they have a lot more space than that in the wild?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I've always been told to keep it small for baby reptiles to keep them from stressing out too much about all the open space. That or lots of hides. So I suppose I could just cut some pvc to make some hides that he can fit in for now until his fatass gets to large to fit in them anymore.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
As long as there's plenty of hiding spots a cage cannot be too big

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
In that case, I'll move him in Monday after I get my new vents in. Speaking of vents.

Do I leave them white as an accent, go pure black, do black with the hammered copper finish to match the rest? I'm leaning towards pure black.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

*plop*

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Cless Alvein posted:

Yeah she says most of hers turn out to be really tame even as babes.

Good choice of breeder! I've found that different people have pretty different ideas of "tame" as well. Experienced herpers are much less phased by defensive behavior than the rest of us are.

And yes your baby will be totally happy in a big cage as long as it has places to hide and/or substrate to bury itself in. That rule mostly applies to people keeping stuff in racks with nothing but newspaper and water dishes in the tub. Once it stops hiding so much it will enjoy having a big space to explore and poop all over.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Donna has been awesome. I can email or call her pretty much anytime I'd need to and she'd happily answer any question I might possibly have.

I'm amazed at his ability to poop so far. After being pooped on a couple times, I've changed it up so that poo poo stops so to speak. Now when it is play time, I wake up him up, warm him up a bit and then toss his rear end back down into his temp home until that turd squeaks out. Then it is time for him to go exploring.

This is the first Herp I have that the dog is kinda actually interested in. She is confused by this tiny little thing that totally tried to bite her nose.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Snek sitting.

I had to catch her from trying to go into the couch. She's fast when she wants to be.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I decided to google black throat /rock monitors because I am not a lizard person and drat. They get huge.

Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_monitor

People living with the HIV/AIDS virus in Yumbe district of Uganda have been injecting themselves with the blood of rock monitors, which they believe to be a cure for the virus.[15] Most are discontinuing anti-retroviral therapy to pursue this anecdotal treatment.[15] As a result, V. albigularis is reported to have become an expensive item in the Ugandan black market, selling for more than US$175 each.[15]

I just sent one of my babies off to college. My husband's cousin came and picked up one of my hatchling carpets. I feel way more sad than I thought I would! I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that hatchling was the only one who eats rats and not human flesh. Godspeed, Karl-Anthony.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 6, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I am now a snake person. I bought myself a cute little corn snake snaby. His name is Spaghetti and he is adorable! Today was his first feeding with me and I was freaking out because I really didn't think his tiny little head could swallow an entire pinky. Plus, he ran away from the tongs when I tried to wiggle it in front of him. I am super pumped over this little guy and my facebook feed is, like, 95% snake pictures now.

A pretty blurry picture of Spaghetti, but he's looking right at me

His totally badassed tank with the background that keeps falling off

His favorite hiding spot, the human skull :black101:

Spaghetti after his first meal.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 7, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Heya, figured this is the best place to ask since I'm using reptile bulbs as a UVB source, but for non-reptile sunning purposes. A question on safety with these bulbs, since most other uvb sources I've looked at have warnings not to look at directly and to use eye protection. Do the same warnings apply to reptile lamps? The boxes they came in dont indicate any way.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
It is generally a bad idea to stare directly into any lightbulbs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

It is generally a bad idea to stare directly into any lightbulbs.

That might explain some problems on my end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But I should be okay as long as I cant directly see the bulb?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I will post snake baby pics soon. In the meantime the Tucson Reptile Show is coming up soon. Any goons going?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

But I should be okay as long as I cant directly see the bulb?
I think the issue is that since people can't see in the UV spectrum your pupils won't contract when exposed to UV. If you're sitting in a dim room that's flooded with invisible UV your pupils are going to be all the way dilated and all the UV will fry your retina. I doubt reptile bulbs are strong enough to be a serious issue unless you're sitting directly under a bunch of them or they're the only light source or something. After all I'm sure most of us in this thread spend a good portion of our day in a room with a UVB bulb off to the side and we're not blind yet.

Really though yours is probably a better question for the Goon Doctor forum.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm reading Stolen World by Jennie Erin Smith and it is really good. It's about reptile smuggling. It's also weird as gently caress to be reading about Crutchfield and then seeing him on facebook selling stuff. What good books have you all read lately?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Common Kingsnakes, A Natural History of 'Lampropeltis getula'

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Soonmot posted:

I am now a snake person. I bought myself a cute little corn snake snaby. His name is Spaghetti and he is adorable! Today was his first feeding with me and I was freaking out because I really didn't think his tiny little head could swallow an entire pinky. Plus, he ran away from the tongs when I tried to wiggle it in front of him. I am super pumped over this little guy and my facebook feed is, like, 95% snake pictures now.

A pretty blurry picture of Spaghetti, but he's looking right at me

His totally badassed tank with the background that keeps falling off

His favorite hiding spot, the human skull :black101:

Spaghetti after his first meal.

This spaghetti is a good spaghetti, a cute spaghetti.

Had a fun feeding evening! I swear Marvel is a special needs snake, her strike aim is AWFUL and she doesn't constrict, she just lies there hanging on to the rat all stretched out. Today she missed the rat and then immediately went for my hand, so I dropped it and she sat on it for an hour trying to find it, with a mouth full of coconut fibre. Eventually managed to distract her for a second to grab the rat to offer again and finally she got it and ate it.

I moved Phoenix up a tub size tonight and offered her food to see if she'd take even in her new home, and she struck faster than I could put the rat in there then dragged it into her new hide because she's suddenly a shy eater now. She's a rescue and doing so well that it's time to start trying to rehome her.. gonna miss her, I love her attitude. I don't have the space for three vivs! :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know two of our small balls, Wasp and Bee, are....mojaves? I know when they breed we get a 25% chance of a white ball, but I know there's a few combos that get you that. Either way the male Wasp was always a good eater, but Bee has become a 'feed me every day' peek the head out of her hidebox since I started feeding her IN the cage and not out of it.

On the other hand, there's Nod, my mom sand boa who is recovering after 10 babies, and just spraying her tank yesterday led to her lunging up, Tremors style, trying to attack the water bottle.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So I want to be the best snake dad I can be. What does my little snaby need to feel fulfilled outside of hiding spots and heat/water? Should I get some small crickets for him to hunt? Does he need any more interaction aside from daily handling (except for the two days after his feeding)? Spaghetti is just so awesome, but all my animal knowledge is dog based. Can I even teach him tricks?

Have a bonus Spaghetti playtime picture. It is hard taking pics of snakes!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
While corns have been documented eating bugs in the wild, I really doubt he would be interested in them. I used to try tong feeding one of my king snakes bugs but he would always spit them right out and look at me like "Why are you doing this???"

As for tricks, the only trick I've been able to teach my snakes are "I'm not gonna eat you so don't freak out" and "don't eat me, I'm not food" and "I'm going to touch your head now so stay calm"

Like, there's gotta be a way to teach them but I don't know what you would use as a reward because feeding them kind of sends them into a different state of mind. Maybe it would be possible with a large snake and baby mice? But then they don't have ears really so you can't click. I would like to train a snake, I just don't know of any methods that work.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Now that the cage is set up and Buttercup has been moved in, I figure I might show it off a little.

I ordered a 4'x2'x1' pvc cage from pvccages instead of making one from melamine like my original plan. I paid more obviously, but it is probably a quarter of the weight, stronger, obviously no chance of rotting and most importantly built correctly.

I thought about keeping it plain black as it is, but decided to hit it with the copper hammered paints so it would match the paint job on my Gargoyle geckos tank.

Not nearly as goldish as it looks. Think my flash went off and I'm too lazy to fix it in PS.

Since the jury on UVB for Skinks is basically a big who the gently caress knows, I skipped the use of a MVB or Heat light of some kind with a fluorescent UVB bulb and went with a 40W Radiant Heat Panel and a strip of waterproof LEDS.
Course I hosed this up, by putting in the LED strip incorrectly the first time. Instead of around the top, I managed to do top, side, then bottom. The only glue I could get to stick to a combo of PVC,silicone and whatever the plastic the LED protection was, was super glue, which was a big bitch to clean up my mistake.

But once I fixed it, I think it was pretty sweet.

The next problem might be visible in that photo. By default the tank's ventilation was two 2 1/4" vents on the back wall. This was not nearly enough and once everything was added and turned on, the tank immediately misted over from the moisture having nowhere to go.
So off to Amazon I went to get bigger vents, which sadly only came in white, which I thought would look terrible. So they got painted black. Eventually my 3 inch cutter came in from Amazon too. I'm pretty sure dude at warehouse messed up as I got a 3 pack of the cutters, instead of 1. Gave the extra away to family. Never know when you might need one.

Tank when from the two 2 1/4" vents to seven 3" vents and the air flow problem has been solved.

So a good 3 weeks after I actually received my tank and set it up, Buttercup got to move in. I think s/he is liking it so far. I have noticed lots of exploration and burrowing and curiously enough staring at me through the glass. Obviously wanting to come out and explore, yet still kinda shirking away from me when I try to grab em.

(I need to clean the glass better)

I've had Buttercup for right around 3 weeks now and it already seems like he has grown a ton. Couple more weeks and I believe it'll put him at 3 months old. Loves to chow down on food. Loves exploring and napping in my warm crevices. The instances of biting and huffing are going down. All in all Skinks are awesome.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 11, 2015

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Soonmot posted:

So I want to be the best snake dad I can be. What does my little snaby need to feel fulfilled outside of hiding spots and heat/water? Should I get some small crickets for him to hunt? Does he need any more interaction aside from daily handling (except for the two days after his feeding)? Spaghetti is just so awesome, but all my animal knowledge is dog based. Can I even teach him tricks?

Have a bonus Spaghetti playtime picture. It is hard taking pics of snakes!

I dunno anything about corns, really, but every now and then I will add a new stick or rock to the vivs of my royal pythons and they have a grand old time checking it out and climbing it and rubbing themselves against it. Maybe just add a little change of environment every now and then? Just keep hides in their normal places so it never feels too different, I guess.

By the way, anybody else's snakes obsessed with coconut hides? Meg's had a coconut from the start and barely leaves it, she even followed it when I moved it to the cold side out of curiosity and she stayed there for two days until I moved it back to the warm side. Phoenix and Marvel were given coconuts not too long ago and now they won't use any other hide, they just all seem to adore these bloody coconuts. I think they'll be devastated when they're too big for them.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Not coconut, but my Ball, Professor Snake, loves her log hide and tree. I had it set on the cool side originally and she refused to rest anywhere else. Swapped it to the warm and now she stays on that side mostly unless she goes snorkeling in his water dish. Watching a snake blow bubbles is the cutest thing ever.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Here's what we have coming in this month at my local herp society's rescue program, some cool stuff this month:

Eight red-eared sliders, three painted turtles, two good-sized snapping turtles, a map turtle,
two female Russian tortoises, and two red-footed tortoises, a wood turtle (requires DNR permit), four ball pythons, two common boas (need TLC), a corn snake, a western fox snake, a trinket snake, and bamboo rat snake, two toad-head agamas, veiled chameleon, and a blue tongue skink (old and needs TLC).

Remember guys, reptiles live a long time. Purchase and sell responsibly.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Silver Nitrate posted:

Here's what we have coming in this month at my local herp society's rescue program, some cool stuff this month:

Eight red-eared sliders, three painted turtles, two good-sized snapping turtles, a map turtle,
two female Russian tortoises, and two red-footed tortoises, a wood turtle (requires DNR permit), four ball pythons, two common boas (need TLC), a corn snake, a western fox snake, a trinket snake, and bamboo rat snake, two toad-head agamas, veiled chameleon, and a blue tongue skink (old and needs TLC).

Remember guys, reptiles live a long time. Purchase and sell responsibly.

How big are the Russians? I ask because, gently caress it's been almost 30 years ago, when they were importing them like mad, we got a single female who is the size of a dinner plate. She's loving massive. Not even the herp guys at the zoo had ever seen one so large.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Spaghetti pooped on me. He was sitting on my leg and I was watching the contractions of his tail thinking, "huh is he trying to move? That's way too low to be his lungs, it's like peristalsis or something and then came the pee, a little turd, more pee and a big turd.

Does this make me a real snake-dad? I think it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Spaghetti pooped on me. He was sitting on my leg and I was watching the contractions of his tail thinking, "huh is he trying to move? That's way too low to be his lungs, it's like peristalsis or something and then came the pee, a little turd, more pee and a big turd.

Does this make me a real snake-dad? I think it should.

In my experience, corns poop on you. A lot. A LOT. So yeah, welcome to the being pooped on constantly by corn snakes club/ herp parenting.

That's part of the reason I moved on to pythons; way too much corn snake poop.

ETA: I do miss my bitchy corn snake rattling her tail at me. She was probably a creamsicle, so hybrid. It was pretty cute that she thought I might just one time not pick her up because I suddenly thought she became a rattlesnake.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 13, 2015