Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

Why the gently caress would Kawasaki make the front axle nuts such a pain in the loving rear end to get loose? Manual says tighten to 90~lbs and here I am sitting on it with a giant Milwaukee impact...17mm allen socket got so hot it burned my fingers when I touched it.

Really not stoked about cheater bars and that nonsense. Silly old bike.

As in a breaker bar? Which is made for breaking loose high torque connections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Mcqueen posted:

Why the gently caress would Kawasaki make the front axle nuts such a pain in the loving rear end to get loose? Manual says tighten to 90~lbs and here I am sitting on it with a giant Milwaukee impact...17mm allen socket got so hot it burned my fingers when I touched it.

Try some penetrating oil, like pb blaster or kroil

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mcqueen posted:

velocross posted:

Try some penetrating oil, like pb blaster or kroil

I recommend a concrete pill.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Coconut oil is a much better penetrating oil if you know what I mean fellas :smuggo:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

SaNChEzZ posted:

As in a breaker bar? Which is made for breaking loose high torque connections?

Haha, yep. Fell off some scaffold and am trying not to stay broken.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

M42 posted:

I'm extremely pleased with the results. The headlight/gauge is finally attached properly -- the old assembly would loosen even with loctite, the gauge couldn't be angled so I could see it fully because the mount 'arms' would hit the MC bleeder bolt, looked like poo poo, etc.

That gauge mount looks 10,000 times better. That last setup gauge cluster setup looks like some serious PO "gently caress it I need to get out and ride" mentality.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I welded the step lever back onto my scooter's centerstand. Again.
This time instead of calling in favors/begging to use a friend of a friends rig, I bough an el-cheapo HF flux core welder. Normally my welds look like hemorrhoids, but now they've got anal warts too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Did some riding this weekend.

Day One: leaving work Friday

Left at 5:25 instead of 4:15 like I had planned (stupid work). The first 4 km or so took half an hour :v: Not sure if leaving earlier would have made any difference on that though. I was supposed to meet my pal Matt at the motel, and he said he was aiming for 8:00pm. I got there 8:05, and if I hadn't taken a slight detour off the 402 exit where I went left instead of right, I would have been there spot on 8:00. He didn't show up til over two hours later as I'm sitting around starving, watching CBC Dawson Creek since that was what channel was on when I turned on the TV. Found a great little pub in town and had a well-needed beer & burger.

Day Two: The bane of circumstance

Woke up to the sound of rain. Towelled the bike off, and we headed off to the race track where we were going to do a drag race experience day.

A late start because my friend has zero sense of time or urgency. I lead the way, and got the turn off near Parkhill wrong, so we ended up going the wrong direction for a bit. So an extra 10 minutes there and back. Got turned around, and arrived at the track only to find that there had been enough rain overnight for them to call off the day. Plus there was apparently more rain on the way, so that was that.

Shot the bull with the guys who were organizing it, and they said there's a classic car show down in Blenheim, and they were all going. Hey, what the heck!

This time Matt lead, what with having a GPS in his car and all. Checked out the cars, met up with the guys from the track again. We had lunch, and he went on his way to go visit another of our friends, and I hit the highway to go to see my parents.

So that was about 445km all together for Saturday.

Day Three: The detours home

Left my folks around noon, and of course hit up Forks Of The Credit! Did 3 runs, the first being super lame because I was stuck behind some cagers going slow, but the last run was awesome because there was no one in front of me, and on the way in a group of like 12 cruisers came up from the other way. I think the turn at the bottom of the hill says 30km/h and when I looked down after the bend I was doing about 60 LOL.

I didn't want to hit the highway right away since it was starting to get hot out on the pavement, so I did some derping around the side roads before I eventually hit enough civilization that it was time to just hit the 427 and get home.

First time packing up the Krieger bag for a long trip, and it's pretty excellent. I have a feeling I would have been better off with a 20L and two 10L on the side, but whatever.

And man, now I gotta clean my leathers & helmet, and give the biek a proper wash after all that.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 30, 2015

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
After a bunch of work related delays I finally got more time to work on the CBR. For those keeping score at home I had previously popped the carbs and cleaned them, replaced the petcock, fuel filters, and lines. This was to solve idling issues and a tendency for the bike to die when rolling off of idle and a general case of the sat-too-longs.

The good: Fired up relatively quickly and all of the fuel lines appear to be really solid. The hesitation when you grab a handful is totally gone and it no longer has a god-awful lumpy idle. Idle is a little high but I can dial it in, why I haven't done this? Well...

The bad: Hmm what's that smell? Why yes that would be coolant sizzling to perfection on a hot engine. gently caress. Looks like a dry rotted line from the water pump to the head. New hose on order.

The entertaining; Neighbors walking by while we cranked the bike, fire extinguisher in hand. Reactions to the smokeshow generated by assorted crap/grease/secret sauce in the carbs/fuel system burning off. The collective realization that maybe doing all of this in the underground parking garage was ill conceived.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
New shoes for my GS. Scrubbed them in some on my 60 mile commute this morning. Hopefully by the time I get home I won't need BBQ sauce for those strips.

The shop had a 1290... holy poo poo do I want one of those.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How does the front tire feel in parking lots? I put a pair of those on my Uly and they feel really weird at direct-steer speed.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

clutchpuck posted:

How does the front tire feel in parking lots? I put a pair of those on my Uly and they feel really weird at direct-steer speed.

They just got put on Saturday AM and I haven't done much more than my commute this morning, but I think the best way I can describe it so far is that it feels really really sensitive to input at low speeds. I'm coming from Anakee 2's and these need way less input from me to turn, especially at parking lot speeds. I figure I'll just get used to it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chris Knight posted:

My condolences :smith:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Chris Knight posted:

Ahhh I know the pain of living in southern Ontario and our straight loving line roads everywhere. Sucks so much.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

My condolences :smith:

Better than sitting around the house depressed.

VERTiG0 posted:

Ahhh I know the pain of living in southern Ontario and our straight loving line roads everywhere. Sucks so much.
Hence the 3 runs through Forks :v:

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Rolled over on the way in to work today:

Bought it with 6 miles on it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chris Knight posted:

Better than sitting around the house depressed.

That's why the good lord invented booze and internet poker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjB3oTFFRzY

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Rolled over on the way in to work today:

Bought it with 6 miles on it.

Fuckin awesome!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Ok let's clean up this front end, tuck those cables, and relocate the turn signals. Let's start by moving the turn signals to the lower position:

One signal removed:

gently caress. Metal made of molten chocolate *throws entire bike in the trash*

Crossposted, probably in a better thread for it. Goddamn this bolt will turn to liquid before it will turn a millimeter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You need to invest in an impact screwdriver.

Also that factory indicator layout is hilarious. It looks like the headlight's throwing it's hands up in the air like it don't care.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Bought some crashed-rear end race fairings for $100, tried fixing fiberglass for the first time, and rattlecanned. Total 50ft job. They will work for now.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Revvik posted:

Crossposted, probably in a better thread for it. Goddamn this bolt will turn to liquid before it will turn a millimeter.

Did you use some penetrating oil? I found that helped a lot.

Worst case, have someone weld another bolt on top and you can use that to turn it out. Or just get an impact driver like slavvy said. Or take it to someone with one.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Washed both bikes. Cleaned both chains. Rode both bikes....

gently caress now they both need washed again :smith:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Stupid Harley with their stupid different sized axle nuts... Oh, I need a 28mm and a 1-1/4 to take them off? Fun. Off to the store for more tools...

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Did you use some penetrating oil? I found that helped a lot.

Yeah I tried that.

quote:

Worst case, have someone weld another bolt on top and you can use that to turn it out. Or just get an impact driver like slavvy said. Or take it to someone with one.

The dealership was busy til Tuesday but there was a little lawnmower repair shop down the street from me. Rode there and asked nicely.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

El Jebus posted:

Stupid Harley with their stupid different sized axle nuts... Oh, I need a 28mm and a 1-1/4 to take them off? Fun. Off to the store for more tools...

You've probably already discovered this, but the caliper bolts that look like inverted Torx are just 10mm 12 points. Any ACME Box O' Sockets will have it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

You've probably already discovered this, but the caliper bolts that look like inverted Torx are just 10mm 12 points. Any ACME Box O' Sockets will have it.

E-torx :science:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Revvik posted:

Yeah I tried that.

The dealership was busy til Tuesday but there was a little lawnmower repair shop down the street from me. Rode there and asked nicely.

How many times a week does your bike get washed?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Came home from work, and had to pick it up off the street after some fucker knocked it over. Broke the right side passenger peg mountings. Ugh.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 3, 2015

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Chris Knight posted:

Came home from work, and had to pick it up off the street after some fucker knocked it over. Broke the right side passenger peg mountings. Ugh.

I would have lost my loving mind. You seem calm about it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Slavvy posted:

Also that factory indicator layout is hilarious. It looks like the headlight's throwing it's hands up in the air like it don't care.

WELP

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

How many times a week does your bike get washed?

Maybe biweekly, I've been working too much.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Didn't understand why my new-to-me Duke 690 was so ridiculously peaky / had zero low-end poke until I dug through the bag of parts that came with it and found the original throttle tube. The previous owner had spent a small fortune on a power commander, new airbox, dynotune, and bullshit racing bling like $600 rearsets ... then installed the most aggressive throttle tamer he could find. With the stock tube, the bike's gone from feeling like an anaemic 250 at everything but flat out to the snatchy AF KTM experience I was hoping for. Yessss.

I'm wondering - is there any good reason why someone would do that? Spend a stack of :10bux: on vroom vroom bits then neuter the bike with a slooooooooow twist throttle?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It smooths out the initial on throttle response. If it's a G3 setup, the most aggressive cam is perfect - just enough to blunt the initial roll on, but doesn't add enough twist that it's difficult to get to WOT.

KTM used a super aggressive cam on the throttle bodies on the older 690s so just fixing that makes the bike a lot easier to ride.

I didn't like it because it just made me do wheelies all the time. Just forced me to do them. Every day.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

It smooths out the initial on throttle response. If it's a G3 setup, the most aggressive cam is perfect - just enough to blunt the initial roll on, but doesn't add enough twist that it's difficult to get to WOT.

KTM used a super aggressive cam on the throttle bodies on the older 690s so just fixing that makes the bike a lot easier to ride.

I didn't like it because it just made me do wheelies all the time. Just forced me to do them. Every day.

Shhhhh. You're safe now. You can talk about it here. And post pics. Video too.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Maybe biweekly, I've been working too much.

Clip on fairing finished after too long dicking around with stuck bolts. May have to sticker it up. Also pictured is the chin spoiler. Definitely did not go the official Harley Davidson merchandise route with that - $220 versus $40 for a knockoff, ok.

My bike theory is starting to follow that of the cars from the original Fast and the Furious, spoilers fuckin' everywhere.

Pleasantly surprised by how quickly this went on compared to the screen. It has the option to show a real fuel gauge instead of a dummy light if I feel like pulling the tank and putting some sensors in it but no matter what I do it'll still be a 2 gallon tank. Would be fun to visibly watch the gauge drop as I go down the street though.

Capped off my three day weekend with a 20 mile bicycle ride and waxed the Sportster.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

prukinski posted:

Didn't understand why my new-to-me Duke 690 was so ridiculously peaky / had zero low-end poke until I dug through the bag of parts that came with it and found the original throttle tube. The previous owner had spent a small fortune on a power commander, new airbox, dynotune, and bullshit racing bling like $600 rearsets ... then installed the most aggressive throttle tamer he could find. With the stock tube, the bike's gone from feeling like an anaemic 250 at everything but flat out to the snatchy AF KTM experience I was hoping for. Yessss.

I'm wondering - is there any good reason why someone would do that? Spend a stack of :10bux: on vroom vroom bits then neuter the bike with a slooooooooow twist throttle?

I bet they did the throttle tube first as the cheap fix to a snatchy throttle. Weren't satisfied and did the PC. Already used to the lame tube, saw no reason to swap back.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

prukinski posted:

Didn't understand why my new-to-me Duke 690 was so ridiculously peaky / had zero low-end poke until I dug through the bag of parts that came with it and found the original throttle tube.

There's also a ignition map switch (circle dial) under the seat. The manual should have more info on it but it should be #3 standard, #2 aggressive, #1 soft and #0 bad gas... If I remember correctly.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

velocross posted:

There's also a ignition map switch (circle dial) under the seat. The manual should have more info on it but it should be #3 standard, #2 aggressive, #1 soft and #0 bad gas... If I remember correctly.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that switch. My issue was that, regardless of ignition map setting, the bike was totally underwhelming at anything under half throttle, then it'd all came on in one big wallop. Which was fine for riding flat out, but felt dull as fuuuuuuck at commuting speeds. Stock throttle tube's woken the bike up nicely. Actually has some low- and mid-range oomph now. The downside is that it the stock throttle *is* pretty snatchy, I guess, but I didn't buy a ktm for practicality so that's all good by me.

Outgoing tube was a K400 G2 throttle tamer, for those playing along at home. ie: the tamest throttle they make.

Z3n posted:

I'm making a mental list of the finest mailboxes in my neighbourhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

I would have lost my loving mind. You seem calm about it.

Eh, I was already having a pretty lovely day, and by the time I got home and saw that, I was just out of fucks to give.