Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah sometimes its hard to watch when someones web of lies comes crashing down, theres not enough cringe in the world. But on the other hand its satisfying as gently caress because it validates your hard work when someone else tries to cheat.

Had a great judo sesh today actually. Really tried not to think too much and just use muscle memory and got a few good throws off, a few osoto gari ippons and stuff like that. Had this lovely lady supervising and she gave me some good tips too. Please excuse my meltdown a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Grifter posted:

I couldn't deal with this much awkward so I watched a few minutes and gave up. Does the guy ever actually roll? From the his instructional videos it seems pretty unlikely that he's even a purple.

He's not even a purple. Probably not even a blue belt, if he's loving up basic arm bars that badly.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone in Albuquerque? I'd like to look into judo or maybe some form of striking if there's someone who focuses on sparring/randori vs kata. I'd appreciate any recommendations for where to go/avoid.

I see there's a kendo place in town, kendo was fun but bogu is drat expensive.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyone in Albuquerque? I'd like to look into judo or maybe some form of striking if there's someone who focuses on sparring/randori vs kata. I'd appreciate any recommendations for where to go/avoid.

I see there's a kendo place in town, kendo was fun but bogu is drat expensive.

If you have any interest in MMA, you should check out Greg Jackson's, it's one of the best MMA gyms in the world.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Just don't take any rides from Jon Jones.

First full day of sparring since my smoker last October. drat, almost a year ago! Different coach this time, so he had us going every round, no rest rounds.
I was surprised that I was keeping up for 6, 7 rounds. Then the coach realized he'd set the bell to 2min rounds (and what felt like 1min rest). :smith:

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I was surprised that I was keeping up for 6, 7 rounds. Then the coach realized he'd set the bell to 2min rounds (and what felt like 1min rest). :smith:

That's still pretty good, dude

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I just finished my third week of karate and I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it. It feels really great to have a physical activity with some direction to it, if that makes sense. Something I've been wondering is, is there any good MA reading material I can get my hands on? Things like memoirs or essays or cool blogs?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cephas posted:

I just finished my third week of karate and I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it. It feels really great to have a physical activity with some direction to it, if that makes sense. Something I've been wondering is, is there any good MA reading material I can get my hands on? Things like memoirs or essays or cool blogs?

https://www.youtube.com/user/EnterTheDojoShow

You're welcome.

edit: Oh, Reading material.. well uh... I'm dumb

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 4, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cephas posted:

"Angry White Pyjamas" is quite good. "American Shaolin" is kinda similar. While the arts are Aikido and Kung-fu, the experiences will apply to pretty much every one.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Angry White Pyjamas is pretty good, yeah. If you're just starting out martial arts, you might also find Fight the Good Fight by Catherine Fox pretty interesting. It's a story of a middle-aged British vicar's wife and her journey towards a black belt in judo.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Is it weird that I am more comfortable in half guard than in close guard ? Specially after only two months of training.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Lamadrid posted:

Is it weird that I am more comfortable in half guard than in close guard ? Specially after only two months of training.

Not weird at all. I hate closed guard.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Closed guard is rad, because people get nicely tired out then you scissor sweep them and laugh.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

de la peche posted:

Closed guard is rad, because people get nicely tired out then you scissor sweep them and laugh.

Closed guard is rad, because people get nicely tired out then you open their guard, pass, and laugh. I will say this though the skills and lessons you learn from playing closed guard are really valuable, such as aggressive posture breaking for instance.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 4, 2015

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ann De Mars' blog is great too. Her chosen MA is judo though.
http://drannmaria.blogspot.ca

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Went to my comp, only had to have one fight because that's all there was in my cat, and absolutely smashed the guy. I wasn't under any stress at all, and subbed him with a kimura from closed guard. He was literally no issue whatsoever. loving cool.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 5, 2015

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Sweet. What category exactly?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Blue belt, Master, Super Heavy. A little bit niche for a small place, admittedly.

Weird edit: We had one guy turn up for the category that was 18kg overweight! 18 loving kg. Nice try, I suppose.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 5, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I tend to sign up in advance for divisions a bit lighter than myself to force myself to diet down, 18kg is pretty extreme though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Maybe, like, five

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

de la peche posted:

Blue belt, Master, Super Heavy. A little bit niche for a small place, admittedly.

Weird edit: We had one guy turn up for the category that was 18kg overweight! 18 loving kg. Nice try, I suppose.

What's the category above Super Heavy called?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Absolute?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

obese

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

If it's IBJJF, Ultra Heavy.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, it was IBJJF, so it's 100.5kg for Super Heavy, then anything above that for Ultra Heavy. I've got down to 82kg before, to enter Middle, but it takes quite a bit of cutting and I didn't want to ruin my summer by trying to shed that much (I'm walking around at about 95kg). I could, with a little bit of effort, have lost a kilo or so to go into Heavy, but again, I've been eating ice-cream, meat, and drinking beer all summer, and that's been nicer than cutting weight, so I thought I'd fight up a weight. I weighed in at 97.7kg in Gi.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Isn't IBJJF a scam?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2183671/IBJJF-Corruption/?page=1
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122202

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, maybe. But there was a tournament near me and it was run by a Gracie Barra guy so it was IBJJF, I guess. Doesn't affect me any.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

My life would be so much more happy if a legit nonprofit took the place of the ibjjjf. Won't ever happen in my lifetime, but would still be nice...

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

maybe but...

origami posted:

I think it should be noted that the villain/osiris guy is jordan tabor who has been caught up in a kerfuffle regarding the legitimacy of his belt. I know he recently lost his position of bjj coach at a local gym - not sure if it was related or if it was just bjj politics.

I've actually met Jordan and he seemed alright but some of the accusations he's made lately sound very paranoid.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Also I'd like an update on the cute cosplayer judo girl timebomb

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

origami posted:

maybe but...

I've actually met Jordan and he seemed alright but some of the accusations he's made lately sound very paranoid.

It's more than just one guy being at the 'center' of things. For crying out loud, José Carlos Moreira isn't even 'recognized' (http://ibjjf.org/list-of-black-belts/)

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

2DCAT posted:

It's more than just one guy being at the 'center' of things. For crying out loud, José Carlos Moreira isn't even 'recognized' (http://ibjjf.org/list-of-black-belts/)

I don't think that is a definitive list of black belts though? I don't see some celebrity black belts like Benson or Rener on there.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
other folks who aren't 'recognized' include: kron, rorion, ryan hall, bill cooper, dean liebenberg, miyaos, galvao, barral, rodolfo vieira, bernardo faria, and tons of others...

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

origami posted:

I don't think that is a definitive list of black belts though? I don't see some celebrity black belts like Benson or Rener on there.

If they're not on the list, it's because they either didn't pay Carlos, or because they made Carlos angry.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I mean - just to be unequivocally clear - I am not defending the integrity of the IBJJF. I don't personally like them but if you're going to drop human trafficking accusations you'd better back it up.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The IBJJF list is just the list of guys who've completed paperwork to compete in IBJJF competition. And I'm not sure 2DCat is even right about his list of unrecognized guys since Galvao is definitely on the list and anyone else who competes IBJJF has either done the paperwork or is otherwise grandfathered. In fact, Faria and the Miyaos are on the IBJJF page of the top ranked black belts. The list doesn't matter except for IBJJF competition purposes. I've had the completed IBJJF brown belt paperwork sitting in my files for years but never filed it. Doesn't make me not a brown belt. Just means that I can't compete in IBJJF tournaments until I file it.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 7, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The IBJJF is a lovely organization in a lot of ways, but they're not a "scam". If you don't want to compete in their tournaments (and I don't and never have, since I don't like their rules or their refereeing standards) you don't ever have to deal with them in any capacity.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

fatherdog posted:

The IBJJF is a lovely organization in a lot of ways, but they're not a "scam". If you don't want to compete in their tournaments (and I don't and never have, since I don't like their rules or their refereeing standards) you don't ever have to deal with them in any capacity.

Pretty much all BJJ tourneys make out like bandits. I stopped doing them because $80 to compete is robbery. I used to score keep at some tourneys so I didn't have to pay, but it's really boring and soul crushing.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Has anyone here actually run a comp? I'd be interested to know how much it all actually costs, just for curiosity's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm thinking about dropping the $80 to compete as a white belt this fall. I was even planning to diet down a weight class until I saw that my normal "walking around" weight (heh) is already right at the top of one, so I'll just have to make sure I don't eat like a loving pig and I'll make 155 (gi on).

I don't like the rules either though. What's this crap about no calf slicers :colbert:

e. for actual content - is it a good experience to do it once or twice when you're trying to learn? The $80 is inconsequential to me right now, and easily fits within my "entertainment" budget.

• Locked thread