Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I got into Gin because it was the one liquor that my mom wouldn't drink all of. I kind of had the reverse, instead of me, the youngin, drinking all of my parent's booze... they would drink mine (and complain about how I kept buying cheap stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I still prefer Gordon's to all of these others.

:ssh: gordons is tanqueray repackaged

at least in the UK anyways

Trebuchet King posted:

If you're anywhere near DC you owe it to yourself to get ahold of some Green Hat Gin.

I'll be in DC this weekend, gonna order a g&t made with green hat gin. if it's gross buckle up buddy and get ready for the internet troll ride of your life!!!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bunnielab posted:

I gave up on G&Ts due to insane non-crap tonic water prices. Now I just mix gin, half as much lime juice, and top with club soda.
Congratulations, you've invented the gimlet, the most literary of all gin cocktails.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
53.5 ml Tanqueray
12.5 ml quinine simple syrup (blend .5 gram quinine sulfate with 615 g water and 615 g sugar)
11.25 ml clarified lime juice
87 ml filtered water
pinch of salt

Chill to between -5 C and -10 C then force carbonate.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How does one clarify lime juice?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
With a centrifuge if you can, quick agar clarification if you can't.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Congratulations, you've invented the gimlet, the most literary of all gin cocktails.

I thought a gimlet used sweetened lime juice?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

mindphlux posted:

at least in the UK anyways

I'll be in DC this weekend, gonna order a g&t made with green hat gin. if it's gross buckle up buddy and get ready for the internet troll ride of your life!!!

Mostly Green Hat is cool because it's distilled locally and is so named for the man in the green hat who hooked up our government officials with booze during prohibition.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mindphlux posted:

Dumb to buy tanqueray, then.

Yes, Garrison is still working for a few more months, as I understand it. I'm going to miss him a lot.

On another subject: I've got a great haul of carrots right now that are super delicious, and I was thinking of making a soup wherein I roast the carrots, then puree them with duck stock. Any ideas for other flavorings? I'm thinking of finishing with a touch of cream, as well.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yes, Garrison is still working for a few more months, as I understand it. I'm going to miss him a lot.

On another subject: I've got a great haul of carrots right now that are super delicious, and I was thinking of making a soup wherein I roast the carrots, then puree them with duck stock. Any ideas for other flavorings? I'm thinking of finishing with a touch of cream, as well.

A little caraway, maybe? I like to use it with root vegetables.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Never mind the gin, Dat Abyss! :guinness:

That was a tasting I did with some friends. 2007-2014 tasting in two sets, 2007-2010 and 2011-2014. 07 and 08 were pretty good still, 09 was an off bottle that had a hint of funk and Brett but wasn't sour or gross* anymore. 2010 was bland and boring. '11 and '12 were drat delicious and '13 and '14 were decent but not great.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

bunnielab posted:

I thought a gimlet used sweetened lime juice?
Modern would-be purists will follow the lead of Terry Lennox, a character in Raymond Chandler's novel The Long Goodbye and insist that, ` a real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's lime juice and nothing else' (Rose's being sweetened). But the cocktail had been around for several decades at that point and earlier references made no such insistence.

There's a fairly impressive amount of nonsense written about the gimlet, but as a matter of practical reality people have been willing to accept as authoritative sources that call for gin and lime but disagree on the presence of one or more of sugar, simple syrup, or soda. Further deponent sayeth not.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

A little caraway, maybe? I like to use it with root vegetables.

One of my thoughts, that or green cardamom (just a little bit).

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I have never had a gimlet that involved soda. A good one doesn't involve Rose's either.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Drink and Fight posted:

I have never had a gimlet that involved soda. A good one doesn't involve Rose's either.

The only gimlet I know is gin and lime juice in some proportion between 2:1 and 1:2. Freshly squeezed lime juice, of course. Rose's is a better gimlet than nothing at all, but fresh is far more refreshing.

Soda seems like a good addition, though. Just a little bit to add fizz.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mich posted:

53.5 ml Tanqueray
12.5 ml quinine simple syrup (blend .5 gram quinine sulfate with 615 g water and 615 g sugar)
11.25 ml clarified lime juice
87 ml filtered water
pinch of salt

Chill to between -5 C and -10 C then force carbonate.

This poster speaks the truth.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

SubG posted:

Modern would-be purists will follow the lead of Terry Lennox, a character in Raymond Chandler's novel The Long Goodbye and insist that, ` a real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's lime juice and nothing else' (Rose's being sweetened). But the cocktail had been around for several decades at that point and earlier references made no such insistence.

There's a fairly impressive amount of nonsense written about the gimlet, but as a matter of practical reality people have been willing to accept as authoritative sources that call for gin and lime but disagree on the presence of one or more of sugar, simple syrup, or soda. Further deponent sayeth not.

Nope. No purist has ever said that. Gimlets are .5oz SS (1-1 cold) .75 fresh lime 1.5-2oz liquor. Some places use a similar ratio built on thirds instead of .5. No roses. If there's soda, it's either a Rickey or a Collins depending on sugar.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Cumin.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Nope. No purist has ever said that. Gimlets are .5oz SS (1-1 cold) .75 fresh lime 1.5-2oz liquor. Some places use a similar ratio built on thirds instead of .5. No roses. If there's soda, it's either a Rickey or a Collins depending on sugar.
How fortunate for you to have never encountered such persons that you have the confidence to announce they don't exist. I haven't been so lucky, e.g. last time this came up here.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

SubG posted:

How fortunate for you to have never encountered such persons that you have the confidence to announce they don't exist. I haven't been so lucky, e.g. last time this came up here.

When I was still in the serving game, I had an elderly woman, perhaps 75 years old, who would come in for lunch about twice a week. She smelled of gallons of horrible old lady perfume, wore gobs of incredibly gaudy (but undoubtedly real) jewelry, and always had four - no more, no less, vodka gimlets with her lunch. She insisted on Rose's, and woe be to the bartender that sent one out with fresh lime.

She also tipped exceedingly well. Taste in drinks aside, I enjoyed her patronage very much.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Yeah, but Terry is such a twat that I wouldn't trust his recipe. If you are a Chandler fan then, if you haven't already, check out the BBC radio dramas of his novels. They started doing them in the 80's and I think put the last one out a few years ago. They are very very well done.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, but Terry is such a twat that I wouldn't trust his recipe.
As far as cocktail purists go that's some verifuckingsimilitude right there.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
GIN AND MOUNTAIN DEW IN A SOLO CUP

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

When I was in high school my go to for parties was a bottle of Seagram's gin that I would swig out of all night. Well, lucky lager, too, but it was easier to carry the gin around with me.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

dino. posted:

So my friend got us round trip tickets to Minneapolis, MN for $30 including taxes. We're going for a day trip on the 12th. We're both vegan, so we're likely going to avoid anything meaty or dairy. However! She and I are both wanting to hit up Gay 90's, and possibly mooch around the city for a spell. Anyone got stuff that we have to see/do/eat?

The Gay 90s is legit awesome and that is an excellent choice of watering hole. When I lived in MPLS i went to the drag shows there all the time, you might want to bring a lifeguard though as the drinks are huge even by gay bar standards. It's like they saw those giant novelty martini glasses at Michael's or whatever and went 'looks legit, we'll take ten dozen'

the First Avenue club, if it's not on fire at the moment, is only a few blocks away, and is always fun times. Keys on 9th is pretty drat good, but I never tried their vegetarian options, so maybe they stink i don't know.

While you're there, jump the 80 bus to the Mall of America, so you can see close up and personal the fall of western civilization. And then go to the food court on the south side for some cheese curds (i forget if you do cheese). (by using my superpower of reading the actual post i'm loving quoting, i have divined you do not do cheese. avoid the mall of america at all costs. if it comes down to it, throw puppy to the wolves so you can escape. it's what he would want.)

Avoid anything within about a block, block and a half on the same street as the gay 90s. That's basically the red light district and a good way to get a new and exciting strain of hepatitis just be breathing too deeply. While I was living there there was a topless steakhouse - I swear on my balls I am not making this up, and for all I know they're still there - that just radiated THIS IS A BAD IDEA.

edit again: some googling reveals that shinders' packed up and closed. god DAMMIT. that was a chain of AMAZING book stores that sold comics, used paperbacks, and all sorts of varied nerdery. Hit up the Sculpture Garden just ssssssouthish? of the heart of downtown, that's cool to see. Fun fact: They had to put motion detectors on the big statue of the cherry in the spoon because UM students kept screwing in it. Yes, it's in the middle of a brackish pond that's probably 50% cholera by volume, what's your point?

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 3, 2015

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

holy gently caress quote really isn't edit

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

PopeCrunch posted:

The Gay 90s is legit awesome and that is an excellent choice of watering hole. When I lived in MPLS i went to the drag shows there all the time, you might want to bring a lifeguard though as the drinks are huge even by gay bar standards. It's like they saw those giant novelty martini glasses at Michael's or whatever and went 'looks legit, we'll take ten dozen'

the First Avenue club, if it's not on fire at the moment, is only a few blocks away, and is always fun times. Keys on 9th is pretty drat good, but I never tried their vegetarian options, so maybe they stink i don't know.

While you're there, jump the 80 bus to the Mall of America, so you can see close up and personal the fall of western civilization. And then go to the food court on the south side for some cheese curds (i forget if you do cheese). (by using my superpower of reading the actual post i'm loving quoting, i have divined you do not do cheese. avoid the mall of america at all costs. if it comes down to it, throw puppy to the wolves so you can escape. it's what he would want.)

Avoid anything within about a block, block and a half on the same street as the gay 90s. That's basically the red light district and a good way to get a new and exciting strain of hepatitis just be breathing too deeply. While I was living there there was a topless steakhouse - I swear on my balls I am not making this up, and for all I know they're still there - that just radiated THIS IS A BAD IDEA.

edit again: some googling reveals that shinders' packed up and closed. god DAMMIT. that was a chain of AMAZING book stores that sold comics, used paperbacks, and all sorts of varied nerdery. Hit up the Sculpture Garden just ssssssouthish? of the heart of downtown, that's cool to see. Fun fact: They had to put motion detectors on the big statue of the cherry in the spoon because UM students kept screwing in it. Yes, it's in the middle of a brackish pond that's probably 50% cholera by volume, what's your point?

This post makes me want to visit Minneapolis.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

contrapants posted:

This post makes me want to visit Minneapolis.

Do it, Minneapolis is easily my favorite city in the US.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

As far as cocktail purists go that's some verifuckingsimilitude right there.

I'm going to make a Terry Lennox gimlet this weekend to see how bad it is. I do wonder how much Rose's recipe has changed over the years. I assume now it is corn syrup, citric acid, and green coloring. I guess I could just mix fresh lime juice with sugar until It stops dissolving.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I like a Tom Collins if the lemon juice is fresh squeezed, otherwise yech.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

bunnielab posted:

I'm going to make a Terry Lennox gimlet this weekend to see how bad it is. I do wonder how much Rose's recipe has changed over the years. I assume now it is corn syrup, citric acid, and green coloring.
Yep, pretty much. Eech.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Thank you PopeCrunch. I will do these things and report back.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

El Jebus posted:

That was a tasting I did with some friends. 2007-2014 tasting in two sets, 2007-2010 and 2011-2014. 07 and 08 were pretty good still, 09 was an off bottle that had a hint of funk and Brett but wasn't sour or gross* anymore. 2010 was bland and boring. '11 and '12 were drat delicious and '13 and '14 were decent but not great.

What's Brett?

vvv thanks!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 4, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Brettanomyces.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Force de Fappe posted:

Apparently the Spanish are obsessed with G&T's.

Yet another reason to put Spain on my itinerary.

After my last trip to Barcelona, Gin Mare & Fentimans with limepeel became the new watermark for what a good, standard G&T should be.

And I like to drink G Vine, Nils Oscar Tärnö and Caorunn neat. drat. I need to drink more.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nutmeg is a good touch for carrots too imho.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I got a Savoy cabbage in our veg box. I'm feeling Japanesey so I want to braise it with miso, tahini, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and maybe a splash of mirin. Anyone ever done something like that or have a recipe or suggestions?
T

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ever since I got that Japanese Farm Food book, one of my favorite things to do with tender cabbages is to do a simple fresh preparation like so:

1/2 napa cabbage (cut in half, vertically), core trimmed and sliced thinly, crosswise
1 Tbsp salt
1 Meyer lemon, skin peeled and cut into slivers

Combine napa cabbage, salt, and zest in a large bowl. Massage and let sit until cabbage has softened and some of its juices puddle at the bottom of the bowl. Transfer to a ziplock bag and squeeze the air out. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 15 mins. Taste and add more salt, if needed.

A little ginger goes well in there, as well, if you want, but the core of it is that it's very subtle and refreshing, to go along with other dishes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How about stuffed with ground pork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

How about stuffed with ground pork?

We are vegetarian at home (and I don't do pork!). But thanks!

Wiggles, intriguing, thank you, but I prefer my braising idea.