Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I watched a bunch of that Seattle Rock Band stream last night - mostly to cheer on some goons of my acquaintance who made it there - but it was pretty nuts.

Also I question Drewjitsu's choice of Free Bird in the tiebreaker. I will probably give him some poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Allen Wren posted:

I watched a bunch of that Seattle Rock Band stream last night - mostly to cheer on some goons of my acquaintance who made it there - but it was pretty nuts.

Also I question Drewjitsu's choice of Free Bird in the tiebreaker. I will probably give him some poo poo about it.

Everyone who wasn't in the front row wasn't very thrilled. Especially since the guy managed to miss everything while on medium. It took a lot of the wind out of everyone's drunk sails.
I hope you watched the whole song through though because Moist.Horse saved the night by breaking out the Pro keys for 6-player Love Shack, ultimately winning the entire comp and getting some cash and a free RB4 band-in-a-box courtesy of Harmonix and SRG.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Orange Harrison posted:

Everyone who wasn't in the front row wasn't very thrilled. Especially since the guy managed to miss everything while on medium. It took a lot of the wind out of everyone's drunk sails.
I hope you watched the whole song through though because Moist.Horse saved the night by breaking out the Pro keys for 6-player Love Shack, ultimately winning the entire comp and getting some cash and a free RB4 band-in-a-box courtesy of Harmonix and SRG.

Yeah, it's tough, since I know that dude and wanted him to win, especially because the other team got into the playoff with that unutterably terrible ultimate showdown song, but Horse picked the better tiebreaker song and played it better as well. C'est la vie.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

farottone posted:

That feeling when you have to reorganize an entire floor of your house, in the process of moving things you unearth your old MIDI Rocker LX you totally forgot about because you bought the MIDI Pro Adapter, you remember that the LX is attached to a wireless RB2 hacked drums controller and realise that you can play RB4 on the Xbox One with your ekit on launch day with just a dongle. Yeah, ok, it's a pretty specific and convoluted feeling but it's really cool. Any doubt that crept in about preordering has been voided.

If you don't have one of these, the company is looking into another production run for RB4.

It's pricey, and I still can't justify the cost of a new console, but I'm happy to know my e-drums will one day work in RB4.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, it's tough, since I know that dude and wanted him to win, especially because the other team got into the playoff with that unutterably terrible ultimate showdown song, but Horse picked the better tiebreaker song and played it better as well. C'est la vie.

I'm friends with the folks who made up "Moist.Horse" and they tell me they are friends with Niel Cissigersissisceiceiseessseresssiega (whoever makes Lemon Demon) and they insist on playing that song at all their shows even though it's ehhhh not a very good recording.
I can't stand the song either, since my band has been covering it for like a decade, and the re-record throws out all the fun parts to the "others" track and makes everyone just play the riffs.

Skychrono posted:

Thoughts about GHL's new playstyle?
It's actually a really fun offshoot of the traditional 5-lane gameplay. The guy running the micro-stage asks all the players what their previous music game experience was before suggesting a song and difficulty. When I told him I played music games almost daily he asked if I would play the demo's hardest song, so I did just because I was curious. There are lots of fun new chords that make it an interesting alternative to 5-lane. At some points I was playing 4 or 5-note chords that involved barring a fret, and then fingering other strings on their own. It recreates a lot of the challenges that Pro Guitar had and feels just as rewarding, but without the totally baffling information overload that made RB3's ProGB HUDS illegible without practice. If you ever got into ProGB in RB3, even if the harder songs looked totally illegible, Guitar Hero Live has accidentally come forth with a really sweet feel-good tonic.
I think, just this once, GH has hit an ace on gameplay, but the song selection will make it hit-or-miss for lots of folks.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 1, 2015

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Thanks! That sounds perfect.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Here's a video of Andrea Rene talking about GH Live and RB4 with some good footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF52tYv783U

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Public announcement time...

End of Days is upon us and it’s time to look back and see what YOU think was great about our releases and to celebrate our authors. For this reason, we present to you the C3 Community Awards, in which you get to vote your favourite songs, packs and much more and help us hand out the coveted C3 Gold Stars!

Please come and vote here! :)

For the full announcement please refer to our forums.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

farottone posted:

Public announcement time...

End of Days is upon us and it’s time to look back and see what YOU think was great about our releases and to celebrate our authors. For this reason, we present to you the C3 Community Awards, in which you get to vote your favourite songs, packs and much more and help us hand out the coveted C3 Gold Stars!

Please come and vote here! :)

For the full announcement please refer to our forums.

I only play on one instrument and tend to play songs because I like them, not because I want to analyze which charts are better (not to discredit you guys! The charts you all put out are amazing!) so I worry something like this will just be a song popularity contest misconstrued as a "which chart was done best" contest. Also it leaves me unable to vote on most categories.

Maybe "best songs in a genre" categories would have been more interesting to most people.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

eddie japan is playing at my work right now and albert is a good song
that's all I got

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

I only play on one instrument and tend to play songs because I like them, not because I want to analyze which charts are better (not to discredit you guys! The charts you all put out are amazing!) so I worry something like this will just be a song popularity contest misconstrued as a "which chart was done best" contest. Also it leaves me unable to vote on most categories.

Maybe "best songs in a genre" categories would have been more interesting to most people.

We have ZERO interest in a "which chart was done best" outside of the single page of polling we devoted to just that. We'd love to know what songs people loved, which artists they discovered, etc., I'm not sure what we messed up in the presentation to give the idea that we are holding a "best chart" contest but if you point me to that I'll make sure to correct course. ;)

The T
May 29, 2010

farottone posted:

We have ZERO interest in a "which chart was done best" outside of the single page of polling we devoted to just that. We'd love to know what songs people loved, which artists they discovered, etc., I'm not sure what we messed up in the presentation to give the idea that we are holding a "best chart" contest but if you point me to that I'll make sure to correct course. ;)

I guess just because all the categories are instrument based, 90% of people who only play one instrument are only going to have an opinion in one category. That, combined with the massive amount of choices available, makes it tough to pick anything and not worry like "oh I must be leaving something out".

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

I guess just because all the categories are instrument based, 90% of people who only play one instrument are only going to have an opinion in one category. That, combined with the massive amount of choices available, makes it tough to pick anything and not worry like "oh I must be leaving something out".

The massive amount is due to the fact that we can't pre-select songs, we can't just leave out any author's work (but the search feature should help). Only 3 pages are instrument based, the rest is best pack, best theme, best week, best blog post, etc. But I reworded the drop down to say "Select your favourite song" to make it clear that except for the Most accurate chart category, everything else is about how much you enjoyed the custom. so thanks for pointing it out. :)

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Okay I'm almost done with my entry

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The T
May 29, 2010

farottone posted:

The massive amount is due to the fact that we can't pre-select songs, we can't just leave out any author's work (but the search feature should help). Only 3 pages are instrument based, the rest is best pack, best theme, best week, best blog post, etc. But I reworded the drop down to say "Select your favourite song" to make it clear that except for the Most accurate chart category, everything else is about how much you enjoyed the custom. so thanks for pointing it out. :)

Well gently caress; upon seeing the above post, I didn't realize that there were more categories than just the ones on the front page. My mistake!! Still, leading off with "best of" feels overwhelming... I'll do my best. :v:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Playing RB4 has me considering booting up RB3 again. I know this has been posted multiple times through the thread but does anyone have a link to a guide on setting up customs for RB3? I have a spare USB stick and I understand I'll need to run different title update versions if I want to keep leaderboards and such, but with C3 shutting down soon I figure I might as well jump in while I have the chance.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Get a memory stick, format it. Download c3. Download the songs you want. Use the RB to USB converter; right click add songs to drive. Make sure to add title update 4 (it will be in one of the top menus).
Delete Title update five from wherever it is on your Xbox. Unplug your xbox Internet, plug in your usb and get to playing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or if you need your XBox internet for other stuff, just cancel when you start the game and it prompts you to update.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
But do disconnect your Xbox from the internet if you're hosting a party with customs.
I... learned this the hard way, one sad drunken night.:bang:

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Or if you need your XBox internet for other stuff, just cancel when you start the game and it prompts you to update.
And if you're playing with friends, don't turn on their controllers until after you've canceled the update unless you want to get really angry.
E: beaten, sort of!

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

My Lovely Horse posted:

Or, as we always suggest, use 2 sticks and keep your sans-Live profile created ad hoc to use for customs on that stick. Internet yes, update prompt no.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

Get a memory stick, format it. Download c3. Download the songs you want. Use the RB to USB converter; right click add songs to drive. Make sure to add title update 4 (it will be in one of the top menus).
Delete Title update five from wherever it is on your Xbox. Unplug your xbox Internet, plug in your usb and get to playing.

You kinda got it right. You can't "download C3" - I think you meant C3 CON Tools. That's just one small part of everything available to you from C3. RBtoUSB is a file management too, not a converter and certainly is not converting RB files to USB (files? format?).
But yeah, that's the recommended tool if the player has updated their Xbox dashboard (which I would suggest everyone do, but you know, i'm sure there are reasons not to).

Forbidden Donut
Mar 19, 2006
mmm....
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm looking to preorder soon.

I've owned a couple of the sets for PS3 (the original RB1 which broke a ton) and later a Beatles set. I'm thinking of buying a new set as all my guitars are in pretty rough shape and I think at least one of my microphones is crapping out. That being said, I didn't use the Beatles set THAT much and it's still in good shape, so I'm not sure I want to buy a whole set when I might not need the drums and I could just buy a mic on top of it.

Is the new mic basically the RB3 mic but with a longer cord? I never bought the RB3 one because of the cord length and I heard they were lighter than the original ones and I liked the original's weight. Are the new drums much different than the Beatle's ones.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
C3 custom song releases for September 4, 2015:

New! Radiohead - OK Computer (BearzUnlimited)
  • "Airbag"
  • "Subterranean Homesick Alien"
  • "Exit Music (For a Film)" (+sageamagoo)
  • "Let Down" (+sageamagoo)
  • "Karma Police" (+sageamagoo)
  • "Fitter Happier"
  • "Electioneering"
  • "Climbing Up the Walls"
  • "No Surprises"
  • "Lucky"
  • "The Tourist"
Track 2, "Paranoid Android", is already available in the C3 database.

New! The Rolling Stones C01 6-pack (Kemiroch, CrazyCanuck, and farottone)
  • The Rolling Stones - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
  • The Rolling Stones - "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
  • The Rolling Stones - "Let's Spend the Night Together"
  • The Rolling Stones - "Ruby Tuesday"
  • The Rolling Stones - "Time is On My Side"
  • The Rolling Stones - "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (+DeathThreatUK)

pksage fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 4, 2015

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

This is an awesome week. My 360 broke a month or so ago and not being able to play these weekly is killing me. Going to be rebuying a 360 just for Rock Band pretty soon.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
WoooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOO!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Wow, what a list.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Fitter Happier in Rock Band, blessed are we, the plastic instrument players

(thank you, C3 <3)

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Right now will be the first time I've listened to OK Computer. Can't wait to play those Stones songs.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dr Zaius posted:

Right now will be the first time I've listened to OK Computer. Can't wait to play those Stones songs.

It's pretty good but I'm not sure how well it'd translate to Rock Band.

Would be fun as hell to sing though.

Not sure why Fitter Happier got charted though.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Chairchucker posted:

It's pretty good but I'm not sure how well it'd translate to Rock Band.

Would be fun as hell to sing though.

Not sure why Fitter Happier got charted though.

Compulsion is the mother of all charts.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm not sure how great the album will be in RB outside of Paranoid Android, Electioneering, and maybe SHA.

I'll still download it because it's a fantastic album.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Hmmm the second best version of JJF, nice.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I haven't listened to OK Computer in years, I'd forgotten how great it is. "No Surprises" is the best.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Hot drat, these last several weeks have been excellent. Haven't listeded to OK Computer in ages, so this seems as good an excuse as any to reexperience it.

I also look forward to playing Jumpin' Jack Flash in a music game where it isn't specifically engineered to kick my rear end.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Trash Boat posted:

I also look forward to playing Jumpin' Jack Flash in a music game where it isn't specifically engineered to kick my rear end.

*glares balefully at Elite Beat Agents*

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

ShadowedFlames posted:

*glares balefully at Elite Beat Agents*

To this day when I hear Jumpin' Jack Flash I hear garbled DS-level "heys!" and "yeahs!" along with it

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
The real version of jumping' jack flash feels like it drags so much after playing it repeatedly in eba.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
At least the intros were skippable in EBA. If you're playing Ouendan I hope you like a really long cutscene before Ready Steady Go kicks your rear end in the first section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
RB4 achievement list is up.