Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Yoshifan823 posted:

Harbaugh looks like he had a good cry right before his presser.

Given that he was about to cry as he ran off the field...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Morris is real bad. Every report I read was that he was overthrowing everyone in practices vs no defense.

Rudock is awful and pretty much lost the game on his own, but Michigan's RBs were also secretly HORRIBLE. Smith missed about 50 cuts for huge gains. The rest of the team looked good (I mean, compared to last year) though.

Just unleash Wilton Speight or Alex Malzone and hope Drake Johnson's ACL grows back and everything will be fine

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Rudock is awful and pretty much lost the game on his own, but Michigan's RBs were also secretly HORRIBLE. Smith missed about 50 cuts for huge gains. The rest of the team looked good (I mean, compared to last year) though.

Eh, the RBs were also not helped at all by the o-line. It felt like a rarity when they made it to the LOS being touched.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Leidner did a bad job. A real bad job.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Morris is real bad. Every report I read was that he was overthrowing everyone in practices vs no defense.

Just unleash Wilton Speight or Alex Malzone and hope Drake Johnson's ACL grows back and everything will be fine

I thought Smith ran hard. Hopefully there's some improvement this next week and there's a better effort vs Oregon St.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I don't remember which back it was, but the play late where the line opened a massive loving hole on the left and the back just ran right up the tackle's rear end was Richardsonian.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Whatever voodoo doll that used to kill Iowa RBs is definitely going after Rutgers CBs now. In 2012, we had three awesome upperclassmen, including Logan Ryan (3rd round pick), and Marcus Cooper (really good for Chiefs as late round pick as rookie, regressed last year.)

In 2013, the senior transfer from Delaware (Lew Toler) broke his leg, another starter (Ian Thomas) quit the team, and the result was a holy poo poo bad season. We ended up playing two freshmen who had a lot of talent but no idea what they were doing. In the midst of this, a bunch of WRs and RBs were moved to CB, leading the parents of a player stuck on the bench (Jeron Tyree) to tell the media that the DC headbutted him in spring practice. After the season, a true freshman from Florida (Bryant Gross) transfers.

Last year, one of those freshmen (Nadir Barnwell) was really good, the other (Ruhann Peele) was suspended for being an idiot. Well, they both are, because Barnwell got a DUI but didn't miss any time. Well, Barnwell failed a bunch of classes in the spring leading to Kyle Flood's second biggest scandal this week, then today it comes out that both of them beat up some kid at a party. With Peele out last year, two other freshmen played as the third and fourth CBs behind Barnwell and mediocre senior Gareef Glashen.

Of those two freshmen, one (Darian Dailey) was kicked off the team for a robbery in May. The other one, Dre Boggs, it just came out today burglarized student apartments with a former player (Tejay Johnson) who had to retire due to injury, stealing cash and weed. Also, after the season, a true freshman from Florida (Kam Lott) transferred.

This leaves the current CB depth as: true freshman Blessuan Austin (who has impressed and did do a prep year, but holy poo poo another freshman starter), RS freshman Isaiah Wharton, true freshman JJ Adams (a decent recruit), and, poo poo, Justin Goodwin will probably have to move over from RB. Note: Rutgers is actually really loaded at RB, and Goodwin should have moved months ago but Kyle Flood is an idiot.

For those not counting, that's 5 CBs have left in the past three years with eligibility remaining, with Boggs almost certainly gone, and Barnwell/Peele probably following them as talented morons. The top three most talented and experienced CBs on the team are gone then. The starting FS (Delon Stephenson) is also suspended due to the assault, although I think there's a chance he could return because he hasn't already hosed up multiple times like the CBs. The backup FS is decent, but now there's no depth at all behind him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, I thought Smith was really good. It would be interesting to see his yards after contact, because the guy was touched at or before the line of scrimmage every time. Maybe there were holes for him to hit, but I didn't see much for his to work with.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sorry Zona bros

quote:

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 34s

Rich Rod just said he doesn't know how long #Zona star Scooby Wright is going to be out after being injured tonight.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Metapod posted:

Thank everything if this cb class is as strong as Mel thinks it is

It is, it's a powerhouse CB class and those three will all be gone by the 12th-15th pick if not earlier. The order is a total tossup depending on who needs what. Hargreaves goes first if they need just pure coverage, Ramsey goes first if they need a versatile DB, Fuller goes first if they need a well-rounded CB. It's technique vs athleticism vs smarts/pedigree.

They were nailed in their recruiting class as well. Top 2 CBs and top S(Ramsey) coming out, I think all 3 were freshmen AA, all 3 got at least some form of AA recognition last year and all 3 are basically written in on the ballots this year and will be 3 of the however many they take for the Thorpe finalists. Really rare to have it be so obvious from the get go who the best were and to basically have them exceed every bit as much as was expected at every single step of the process. I'll also be shocked if any of the 3 crap out in the pros, too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just came in to say lol Michigan, you tried

Harbaugh is now the losingest coach, percentage wise, in Michigan history.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Benne posted:

Sorry Zona bros

Oh good, it's been a day and I already have my first terrible "I hope this kid is really hurt and doesn't play against my team but ultimately ends up being fine and healthy" moment of the season. Welcome back, college football.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Benne posted:

Sorry Zona bros

Man, that is a huge bummer for Arizona. That dude is awesome.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
lol Jake Butt

https://vine.co/v/eTgXQ6AWqmF

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Lol Michigan lost

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Sorry Zona bros

Brutal, that kid is awesome

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

swickles posted:

Yeah, I thought Smith was really good. It would be interesting to see his yards after contact, because the guy was touched at or before the line of scrimmage every time. Maybe there were holes for him to hit, but I didn't see much for his to work with.

He runs really hard but he has zero vision. There were at least 3 or 4 plays where if he made one cut he would have had a 10+ yard gain and instead he just ran into the pile. Sure, he did a good job pushing the pile and getting 2 yards instead of 0, but it was still a bad play.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

1 day to the first Saturday of the season.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
What the hell happened in the TCU Minnesota game? I was expecting that to be more of a beat down

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We had a shitload of storms here and they finally just ruled Toledo/StonyBrook a no contest.

ESPN posted:

TOLEDO, Ohio -- The season-opening contest between Stony Brook and Toledo was canceled due to severe weather on Thursday night.

The first-half weather delays totaled three hours and, after a shortened halftime, the game was stopped just before the third-quarter kickoff. It was called off after midnight.

According to a Toledo release, "The game will not be replayed and is officially listed as `no contest.' Stats from the game will not count."

Toledo held a 16-7 lead after two quarters.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

MindlessHavok posted:

What the hell happened in the TCU Minnesota game? I was expecting that to be more of a beat down

Minnesota is a good team, except for their quarterback.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

korrandark posted:

Minnesota is a good team, except for their quarterback.

Pretty much this. If Leidner makes like 2 less mistakes that would've been an overtime game. The TCU offense looked like it had lost a bit of luster though--Boykin missed a lot of throws he was making last year. Whether that's Minnesota's D being better than expected or TCU just not playing well is kind of a hard line to draw off of last night, but I won't be shocked to see voters jump Bama or Baylor up in the polls if those two roll their opponents this weekend.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I wonder how bad TCU is gonna fall in the polls after that.

I am so happy tomorrow I have no work to do and can sit and watch football all day for the 1st time in 9 months. It's gonna be great.

Alaois posted:

man mister fister has been spending up a storm tonight

Nah that's Conquistador/Fetus Tree/Tom Brady who also bought the Brady banner ads and changed Intruders av as well.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It's a two horse race in the Big Ten West to see who gets snuffed out in the conference championship game by Ohio State.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'll try to put bias aside (and it's not as if my expectations are high or anything anyway) but Nebraska's conference schedule is probably going to keep us in the race to get skullfucked

(@ Illinois, vs. Wisconsin, @ Minnesota, vs. Northwestern, @ Purdue, vs. Michigan State, @ Rutgers, vs. Iowa)

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MindlessHavok posted:

Trevone Boykin played real bad. He missed two easy touchdown passes; one of them he wasn't pressured at all. Minnesota is also pretty good, but yeah their quarterback is BAD.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
I was encouraged by Michigan's play last night. They looked night and day different from the last two years. I'm excited for 2016 and beyond. This year will probably suck though

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Dattserberg posted:

I was encouraged by Michigan's play last night. They looked night and day different from the last two years. I'm excited for 2016 and beyond. This year will probably suck though

They might have won with mediocre QB play. He was well protected for the most part, but still made bad decisions.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
To the guy in here who thought Tulane might be able to start 2-0 against ACC teams, I'm sorry. At least Georgia Tech's defense is worse than Duke's so you should be able to score more points next week.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dattserberg posted:

The defense was looking pretty good from what I saw (I checked out around the half).

Hopefully at the very least Michigan doesn't do as bad as Stanford did during Jim's first year.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Gonna drink all day Saturday doo doo doo

Gonna eat a lot of smoked pork Saturday doo doo doo

Thank goddddddddddd football's back

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

computer parts posted:

The defense was looking pretty good from what I saw (I checked out around the half).

Hopefully at the very least Michigan doesn't do as bad as Stanford did during Jim's first year.
They beat USC in his first year at Stanford so...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Gonna drink all day Saturday doo doo doo

Gonna eat a lot of smoked pork Saturday doo doo doo

Thank goddddddddddd football's back

:hfive:

This was also my exact plan. Got 2 shoulders going into a brine overnight when I get home today.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

They beat USC in his first year at Stanford so...

I'll pencil in an Ohio State victory.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Slate Action posted:

To the guy in here who thought Tulane might be able to start 2-0 against ACC teams, I'm sorry. At least Georgia Tech's defense is worse than Duke's so you should be able to score more points next week.

That was pretty optimistic considering they're about a year off from being halfway competitive in the American.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I'm going be contrarian for a second, but i think a lot of analysts saying Michigan showed some bright spots are ignoring how bad Utah was at times last night. Michigan's first TD, and only non-garbage time one, came on a drive extended by the world's dumbest late hit and Utah's tackling was really really poor for most of the game. On the defensive side, Utah seemed disinterested in changing their gameplan after Michigan started loading the box, and Michigan's run D looked a lot less impressive later in the game when they needed stops. The biggest red flag though was the short/intermediate coverage. Wilson picked apart the LBs in coverage on Utah's scoring drives, and if he's capable of that, Cook, Barrett and Hack are going to feast on them. It doesn't matter if how good your defensive front and safeties are if opposing offensives can abuse you down the middle for 7 yards a pass all day.

Harbaugh also looked a little lost to be honest. There were a couple times where he was arguing with refs based on a misunderstanding of college rules, and I'm convinced that he thought the clock stopped at 2:00, or else he wouldn't have burned all of his timeouts with like 5 minutes left in the game. Was he known as a poor clock manager in the NFL?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

That Works posted:

:hfive:

This was also my exact plan. Got 2 shoulders going into a brine overnight when I get home today.

Vincewilforkcooking.gif

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

I'm going be contrarian for a second, but i think a lot of analysts saying Michigan showed some bright spots are ignoring how bad Utah was at times last night. Michigan's first TD, and only non-garbage time one, came on a drive extended by the world's dumbest late hit and Utah's tackling was really really poor for most of the game. On the defensive side, Utah seemed disinterested in changing their gameplan after Michigan started loading the box, and Michigan's run D looked a lot less impressive later in the game when they needed stops. The biggest red flag though was the short/intermediate coverage. Wilson picked apart the LBs in coverage on Utah's scoring drives, and if he's capable of that, Cook, Barrett and Hack are going to feast on them. It doesn't matter if how good your defensive front and safeties are if opposing offensives can abuse you down the middle for 7 yards a pass all day.

Harbaugh also looked a little lost to be honest. There were a couple times where he was arguing with refs based on a misunderstanding of college rules, and I'm convinced that he thought the clock stopped at 2:00, or else he wouldn't have burned all of his timeouts with like 5 minutes left in the game. Was he known as a poor clock manager in the NFL?

I mean gently caress the guy is only 4 years removed from Stanford... But I guess he found a way to forget some pretty simple differences between CFB and the NFL.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Slate Action posted:

But not before GT puts 50 on the board. GT is going to gently caress so many teams up this year, FSU probably included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TCU scraped by, but a win is a win. Really surprised by the stoutness of the Minnesota defense, that alone should get them pretty far in the B1G this year, especially if Leidner ever decides to play like he did in that second to last drive.

TCU may fall behind Bama if they win convincingly, but I'm not too concerned about that right now considering 1) Polls don't matter for a few weeks still and 2) They're one of, like, 6 or 7 teams to play a power 5 opponent this week so it's a game that actually matters. No way Baylor would jump up too high even if they destroy SMU because, well, SMU.

Either way, good to see some freshmen get some playing time in. I'm surprised that I'm more concerned about the offense than the defense now what with all the retention or lack thereof in both units.

• Locked thread