Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

wandler20 posted:

But not before GT puts 50 on the board. GT is going to gently caress so many teams up this year, FSU probably included.

I really wouldn't put much stock in GT's performance in this game. Two years ago, we beat our FCS season opener 70-0 and had a mediocre season. Last year we struggled mightily against our FCS season opener and went on to win the Orange Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I'm headed to Tallahassee tonight. Gonna get drunk and watch some punk bands play and then watch FSU underwhelm against Texas State. Wooooooo!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LOOK AT DAT DOG

:swoon::allears:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I know the preseason is almost over because I've somehow convinced myself that Texas is going to win tomorrow night.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

LOOK AT DAT DOG

goddamn it's just unfair how cute that dog is

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

goddamn it's just unfair how cute that dog is

UT did an article on him and took some modelling shots.

http://torchbearer.utk.edu/2015/08/a-vols-best-friend/

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 4, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww :yayclod: I just wanna give him a bunch of belly rubs and launch a tennis ball as far as I can

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

No aftermath thread yet? I'll save my full thoughts for that, but last night we had more than 25% of our sack total for the entire 2014 season. lol/thank god.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

MindlessHavok posted:

LOOK AT DAT DOG

I showed him to Daisy and her body is ready

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

I'm headed to Tallahassee tonight. Gonna get drunk and watch some punk bands play and then watch FSU underwhelm against Texas State. Wooooooo!

Gimme a shout if you want to go fishing :getin:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
All the best dogs have floppy ears.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MindlessHavok posted:

LOOK AT DAT DOG

I need a show of him (her?) hanging out with Dubs. Stat.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Neodoomium posted:

There's no aftermath yet but Jake Rudock is a Bad Quarterback

I don't think he's outright bad just kinda average and not very threatening. That was kind of an abnormal performance in terms of the INTs (which were not even all necessarily his fault), but it did show off how his inability to throw deep or even trust his arm can get him into trouble. On the pick 6 they had one short route with another guy going deep and the corner could just sit on the short one and wait because Jake didn't even bother looking deep. He has a tendency to just stare down the short route in those situations, and it leads to bad things. It was basically identical to a pick six against Maryland last year.

And when he does go deep he has to put way too much air under the ball and it either fails to hit a guy in stride or sails it on him. There were at least 5 or 6 times where Damond Powell had his guy beat on a go route last year for what should have been an easy TD and Jake's pass either sailed or had so much air under it that Powell had to slow way up and either let the defender make a play on the ball or get an easy tackle after the catch. It was super frustrating.

The area where it really got him in trouble at Iowa was actually on short passes where he didn't have the strength to get it out to a guy on a short out on a rope and his throws would constantly drag a guy either back to the ball (so he didn't have the momentum to turn and make a play) or get to him late when he was already basically at the sideline and had no room to turn and get some YAC. In a Greg Davis offense with a shitload of short out routes this was basically death.

I will say that I was giggling through a lot of it, not out of any animus towards Jake (who genuinely seems like a nice dude who will hopefully become a great doctor and do good things) but because of MGoBlog freaking out all offseason after the transfer about how stupid Iowa was for pushing Jake out the door and how unfair the criticism Jake got was and how this would be the Beginning of The End for Kirk Ferentz and blah blah blah. His QB preview is hilarious after watching the Utah game.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 4, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I need a show of him (her?) hanging out with Dubs. Stat.

Smokey is all dude. I'd watch Smokey and the Dubs

\/ A Good Dog

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Pakled posted:

All the best dogs have floppy ears.

I used to have a bluetick and she was obessesed with getting her ears scratched. She would just walk up to you, howl, and then put her head in your lap and look at you until you gave her a good ear rub.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

RumbleFish posted:

No aftermath thread yet? I'll save my full thoughts for that, but last night we had more than 25% of our sack total for the entire 2014 season. lol/thank god.

There are still four more days or games before this week deserves an Aftermath.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Strobe posted:

There are still four more days or games before this week deserves an Aftermath.
We always start the Aftermath soon after the first games end, IIRC.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Good piece on GT's Justin Thomas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpqyHBtzen8

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you want an aftermath thread then make a dang aftermath thread, don't just whine about it not existing or debate Thread Posting Etiquitte

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

We always start the Aftermath soon after the first games end, IIRC.

Generally someone pony's up for an aftermath thread sometime during the Saturday after the first or second waves of games. Sometimes it takes until the end of the night (generally when I say "gently caress it" and start the thread myself). Aftermath thread will last sometime through until Saturday.

But to rephrase what MorningView said, gently caress this gay earth, you can do whatever you want. As long as it's not bitching about things.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

gonna use this gif this season

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MindlessHavok posted:

UT did an article on him and took some modelling shots.

http://torchbearer.utk.edu/2015/08/a-vols-best-friend/

Would play catch and give belly rubs to that dogge.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Smoky Dog is basically the best thing about TN football.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still want a damned Cutty Sark joke for a thread title

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

MourningView posted:

If you want an aftermath thread then make a dang aftermath thread, don't just whine about it not existing or debate Thread Posting Etiquitte

I'm not whining about anything. I'm just too lazy to make it myself, so I'm fine with waiting.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Minnesota's using memes on their jumbotron with gently caress with opposing kickers

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

Minnesota's using memes on their jumbotron with gently caress with opposing kickers

Owns

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

They did that last year as well, right?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Clemson jumped on board the Emanuel 9 sticker too :unsmith:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

George Rogers finally got a statue, and it's being installed today:

The pose they went with is kind of...stiff and unusual for a Heisman Trophy winner, but I'm happy we're honoring him.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

wandler20 posted:

But not before GT puts 50 on the board. GT is going to gently caress so many teams up this year, FSU probably included.

This year is gonna suck

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

I'm going be contrarian for a second, but i think a lot of analysts saying Michigan showed some bright spots are ignoring how bad Utah was at times last night. Michigan's first TD, and only non-garbage time one, came on a drive extended by the world's dumbest late hit and Utah's tackling was really really poor for most of the game. On the defensive side, Utah seemed disinterested in changing their gameplan after Michigan started loading the box, and Michigan's run D looked a lot less impressive later in the game when they needed stops. The biggest red flag though was the short/intermediate coverage. Wilson picked apart the LBs in coverage on Utah's scoring drives, and if he's capable of that, Cook, Barrett and Hack are going to feast on them. It doesn't matter if how good your defensive front and safeties are if opposing offensives can abuse you down the middle for 7 yards a pass all day.

Harbaugh also looked a little lost to be honest. There were a couple times where he was arguing with refs based on a misunderstanding of college rules, and I'm convinced that he thought the clock stopped at 2:00, or else he wouldn't have burned all of his timeouts with like 5 minutes left in the game. Was he known as a poor clock manager in the NFL?

Thoughts: Yes, Michigan is still not a very good team. They won 5 games last year. When people say they look better they mean 'could go to a bowl game' not 'are going to win the Big 10

Using your timeouts with 5 minutes left when you are down 14 points is actually good clock management and something any non idiot (aka Brady Hoke) coach should do.

Hackenberg will likely be sacked 20 times by Michigan's D-Line, which played very well. Of course Cook and Ohio State's QBs will eat up Michigan's defense, that would happen if they had a Megazord of coaches comprised of Lombardi, Belichick, and some other old dead guys I'm too lazy to think of.

I think we have reached a weird situation where a few people honestly thought Michigan would be really good somehow just because HARBAUGH and are thus disappointed, while people who actually watched Michigan last year are just thinking 'nice, we had 11 men on the field on every play' because that's something that was depressingly uncommon last year.

I'm pretty sure Brian just convinced himself that Rudock might be good because

1. Greg Davis

2. The alternative was a world where Shane Morris might have to play

I don't really want to face #2 yet either, so come on Rudock comeback! Next week can't be worse!

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 4, 2015

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

ZenVulgarity posted:

This year is gonna suck

B-b-b-but people on TV tell me that Golson is a Heisman contender

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Groucho Marxist posted:

B-b-b-but people on TV tell me that Golson is a Heisman contender

Thank god Lou Holtz is gone

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Scooby Wright's injury isn't expected to be season-ending.

:unsmith:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Thoughts: Yes, Michigan is still not a very good team. They won 5 games last year. When people say they look better they mean 'could go to a bowl game' not 'are going to win the Big 10

Using your timeouts with 5 minutes left when you are down 14 points is actually good clock management and something any non idiot (aka Brady Hoke) coach should do.

Hackenberg will likely be sacked 20 times by Michigan's D-Line, which played very well. Of course Cook and Ohio State's QBs will eat up Michigan's defense, that would happen if they had a Megazord of coaches comprised of Lombardi, Belichick, and some other old dead guys I'm too lazy to think of.

I think we have reached a weird situation where a few people honestly thought Michigan would be really good somehow just because HARBAUGH and are thus disappointed, while people who actually watched Michigan last year are just thinking 'nice, we had 11 men on the field on every play' because that's something that was depressingly uncommon last year.

1. Greg Davis

I don't really want to face #2 yet either, so come on Rudock comeback! Next week can't be worse!

after all the denard for heisman years, i would think most people would withhold judgment on michigan for a while

my major thought is wow does the o-line seem bad. i wonder how smith would look if he wasn't contacted 2 yards behind the line every play

d line looked hungry

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

1. Greg Davis

I guess, but he was hilariously hostile to the notion that Iowa was better off moving on from him and taking a chance on a more talented if also somewhat more risky player. And I'd even agree that there's a chance the Beathard thing blows up, especially because this year's offensive line looks like a disaster waiting to happen. But they pretty much knew what they had in Jake and it was a guy who gives you an absolute ceiling of 8 wins.

Kirk Fernetz is an intensely loyal guy who hates any sort of controversy or change. We're talking about a guy who spent a whole season starting Kyle McCann over Future Heisman Runner Up Brad Banks and who once basically threw a winnable game just to give Jake Christensen one more chance over Ricky Stanzi (over the objections of literally his entire offensive coaching staff). He loved Rudock because Jake's an extremely smart guy who worked very very hard in the film room, understood the offense very well, and rarely turned the ball over. That is like the platonic ideal of a Kirk Ferentz quarterback. The only way he could be better is if he was from Muscatine and walked on rather than coming from a powerhouse in Florida. Kirk would routinely bring up Rudock in interviews completely unprompted, which is something he usually reserves for scrappy walk on centers. Basically the entire coaching staff (including his own son) had to talk him into making the change and it took all last season for him to finally commit to it. It wasn't just something they decided on a whim.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 4, 2015

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Slate Action posted:

To the guy in here who thought Tulane might be able to start 2-0 against ACC teams, I'm sorry. At least Georgia Tech's defense is worse than Duke's so you should be able to score more points next week.

I thought Tulane's offense and special teams would have taken the leap from bad to average since last year the team started mainly freshmen. It looks like this didn't happen. Their qb and run game took forever to get going and didn't do much. They still have such little confidence in their kicking game that they go for it on 4th downs in situations where normal teams would just kick field goals. Their defense was good until they got tired in the 4th. It's got to be frustrating for defense to be able to stop the other team and then never have your offense score. Duke's QB looked good. Part of the reason I thought they may have a chance vs Duke was injuries + new QB growing pains. Sirk quickly destroyed that idea. I'd have some more confidence vs GA Tech because Tulane's run d might be able to slow them down but after seeing how the offense looked, I think a Tulane win is much less likely.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 4, 2015

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
The D-line also had the luxury of facing the 79th best rushing attack last year and an O-line that lost it's all conference left tackle and a starting guard after ranking 94th in adjusted sack rate.

My general point is less that they won't make a bowl, but rather folks might want to hold off on getting too excited about their D until they at least handle BYU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

The D-line also had the luxury of facing the 79th best rushing attack last year and an O-line that lost it's all conference left tackle and a starting guard after ranking 94th in adjusted sack rate.

My general point is less that they won't make a bowl, but rather folks might want to hold off on getting too excited about their D until they at least handle BYU.

Michigan's run defense was actually good last year, so the fact that they shut down an all pac-12 rb seems relevant to me.

I'm not excited about the defense so much as 'they played well on the road vs a top 25 team' that is more than good enough for this team to do well. They're not going to face many more decent teams this year. Unfortunately, the offense played badly enough to lose to anyone.

• Locked thread