Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

ManMythLegend posted:

METOC being in the IDC will never not be hilarious to me.

SPACE WEATHER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Laranzu posted:

Best METOC portion of a morning brief was when the weather guy swore the waves were going to be awful and it was going to be rainy and windy the entire day so flight ops were going to be hard.

Went out on the catwalk and it was sunny and calm.

Intelligence professionals.

Our SWO was former METOC and when we couldn't figure why some ship wasn't moving this way or another, some random guy walked buy and goes "oh yeah, the news says the weathers all lovely right now, some storm or something." then just peaces out.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Does anyone actually know what the gently caress all the announcements they make over the 1MC on ship mean? It seems like a combination of using non native english speakers and a bunch of silly rear end navy jargon that only applies to a very small percentage of the ship makes most announcements confusing as hell.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ding......ding......ding

BLARING WHISTLE FOR 15 SECONDS

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Does anyone actually know what the gently caress all the announcements they make over the 1MC on ship mean? It seems like a combination of using non native english speakers and a bunch of silly rear end navy jargon that only applies to a very small percentage of the ship makes most announcements confusing as hell.

DO NOT QUESTION THE FILIPINO MAFIA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Have you READ this thread?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Quite a few announcements, whistles, etc date back to days of sail. Ringing of bells at noon is about all we keep timewise, but back in the day before clocks were ubiquitous, the bells were the way you knew what time of day it was. The various whistles and combinations all have different meanings. Here's a video of a fat guy explaining all the sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn8gASbAxkA

The words used in various announcements are also sometimes weird because we use centuries old terminology because why not.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Taking a moment to share that a few night's ago when I shared with Mr. Nice! via text message I was reading about sea power he literally called me 15 seconds later stating he saw sea power and got a SWOner and began telling me the fascinating history of this powerful Naval concept

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

maffew buildings posted:

Taking a moment to share that a few night's ago when I shared with Mr. Nice! via text message I was reading about sea power he literally called me 15 seconds later stating he saw sea power and got a SWOner and began telling me the fascinating history of this powerful Naval concept

SWO is awesome in concept. Variable in execution. :D

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
No big dumb enlisted labor day weekend purchases for this guy. Someone started using my credit card number.

What flagged the fraud alert was they shopped at Aeropostale. No one shops there.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
false asians and gays shop there

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

false asians and gays shop there

Maybe terrible gays do.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Nick Soapdish posted:

Maybe terrible gays do.

aeropostale has a line of jock straps just to cater to the gay clothing market

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'll bite. What's a false Asian.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LingcodKilla posted:

:shrug:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I really want to thank you for choosing a great Bond film.

Also, if you aren't getting your cock flaunting underwear from Aussiebum, I don't wanna know you.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ding......ding......ding

only 15 seconds? that BM should kill himself

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ding......ding......ding

"Early Chow for Watch Relief"

Seriously, loving 1MC announcements.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Aviator tears are the best tears.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

Haters gonna hate.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOgS8gTATv8

The day after eval debriefs.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I'm sitting here, on watch, at 01AM, watching Watchmen on three different monitors (There's like 7) in my squadron's ready room. All I have to do the rest of the night is write "All Conditions Normal" a bunch of times.

gently caress Surface.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

CMD598 posted:

I'm sitting here, on watch, at 01AM, watching Watchmen on three different monitors (There's like 7) in my squadron's ready room. All I have to do the rest of the night is write "All Conditions Normal" a bunch of times.

gently caress Surface.

Just waiting for that one time that conditions aren't normal. Then you get to write that down since there isn't anything you can really do about it.

I wonder where those useless log books go when they get full.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
to the hole that is admin because they are legal documents that can be used for courts martial ect ect

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ded posted:

to the hole that is admin because they are legal documents that can be used for courts martial ect ect

Nah, not the real ones.

The ones that someone opens because they need something for the watch to do, when the watch shouldn't even exist in the first place. The good idea fairy kinda watch standing position.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah because they are so rare compared to the cry into your booze every day tears of the swo community.

It's sad to see one of the few communities in the Navy that actually likes it's job get hosed like this because of a dumb 8 year commitment brought on by knee jerk war on terror policies.

Edit: but for some good news, next month I can say goodbye to deployments and work ups and all that bullshit. Let the active duty guys fight with the Navy about promotion bullshit. Sayonara Navy.

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 7, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Geizkragen posted:

Sayonara Navy.

A Good Decision

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Saying that aviation is one of the few communities in the Navy that likes its job is pretty narrow, is it not? The rest of the Navy isn't just SWOs... Plenty of communities are full of people who like their jobs.

I don't claim to know the ins-and-outs of why the aviation community has been taking such hard hits, but if I had to wager a guess I'd say its because they didn't lose the same, relatively predictable number of people to the private sector that they have historically lost due to the recession and subsequent increased retention. Am I on the right track there?

Either way, that's unfortunate but this is just a taste of what the Army/USAF have been going through over the last couple of years.

I have plenty of friends who were stellar officers (O3s and O4s specifically) in both branches who got their walking papers in the last couple years - literally with zero explanation other than "thanks for playing". And, they got even less time to prepare for their transition (3-4 months in several cases) and never made it to a promotion board. It could be worse.

I'm legitimately not here to troll on this once, but the aviation community needs to suck it up and stop being a bunch of whiny loving prima donnas.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/careers/navy/2015/09/06/up--out-outcry-aviators-upset-low-promotion-rates-navy/71650484/

buttplug fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 7, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Or the Navy could stop emulating its siblings' worst behaviors. "They did it too!" isn't a good excuse.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Godholio posted:

Or the Navy could stop emulating its siblings' worst behaviors. "They did it too!" isn't a good excuse.

Right, but that's not what is happening here (at least not on nearly the same scale) I was just using that as an example. The Navy did not plus up its overall forces nearly quite as much as the Army/AF did in order to support OIF/OEF for the last decade-plus...

My original point still stands: I believe we retained more folks where we used to hemorrhage them (pre-DH) to the private sector. Does it suck? Yes. Is it a simply supply vs. demand situation? I believe so. But, for the aviation community to put itself on the cross like this and cry poverty...well, they as a community have nobody to blame but themselves and their own manpower bean-counters...

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The problem is about supply (of aviation JO's) vs demand (total DH slots in the community) and where MSR, the O4 board, and the DH board all fall in the aviation pipeline.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

The problem is about supply (of aviation JO's) vs demand (total DH slots in the community) and where MSR, the O4 board, and the DH board all fall in the aviation pipeline.

Yeah, there's talk about literally not having enough O-4s to fill the necessary DH billets. It was a problem after last year's board, and it sounds like this won't be making it any better.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, there's talk about literally not having enough O-4s to fill the necessary DH billets. It was a problem after last year's board, and it sounds like this won't be making it any better.

Aviation made 445 O-4's this year. I know that board results aren't broken down by platform but I'm skeptical of the idea that that's not enough people to fill the needed DH slots, especially since the number I've heard batted around is about 350.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

buttplug posted:

Effort post

Yeesh of course people love what they do in the Navy. Lighten up man its a three day weekend.

The other services are in the middle of historic drawdowns that haven't been ordered for the Navy - no real surprise that people are walking papers for no reason. The AF even managed to gently caress theirs up pretty bad (otherwise there wouldn't be a 9 year 25k/yr bonus for AF pilots right now)

My point was we hosed ourselves with the 8 year commitment and dumb kool-aid drinking fitrep system. Dudes who know at year 6 that they want to bail can't until they've taken a potential spot for lcdr and even DH before their MSR is up. That's a dumb system. VAQ could not fill their DH spots last year and started to pull from VFA, who was also shorthanded.

Tldr : we get a percentage of people to fill spots. Spots then go unfilled because chosen people have been waiting out MSR to bail and we can't backfill. That creates chronic shortages

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

Aviation made 445 O-4's this year. I know that board results aren't broken down by platform but I'm skeptical of the idea that that's not enough people to fill the needed DH slots, especially since the number I've heard batted around is about 350.

Maybe it's a community specific thing, I know our detailer was talking about it (potentially) being a problem in a couple of years.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

While the current MSR in relation to the O-4 and DH board is a problem I don't think that shortening the MSR is a great idea.

The Navy pays a lot of money up front to produce an aviator and with Uncle Sam's Wartime Fun Bucks dried up letting everyone punch out at 5 our whatever is too expensive.

Minus lowering the MSR for aviators there are only really 3 solutions to the problem that wouldn't require legislative action (ie boarding the aviators separately):

1) Move the DH board before the O-4 board like literally every other URL community. That way career milestone potential is clearly identified and those folks that need to be promoted for community health can be more clearly broken out from the rest of the pack.

2) Change promotion timing for 13XX guys. For example 13XX folks spend 36 months each as ensigns and JG's, in effect pushing their O-4 look to the right two years and allowing some off ramp as MSR should come right before the board.

3) Bring back flying warrants so as to reduce the amount of commissioned officers vying for the same DH spots. This also ends up being cheaper for the Navy in the long run because warrants get paid less and stay "operational" much longer which allows the Navy to decrease the amount of accessions to fight school every year.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Geizkragen posted:

Yeesh of course people love what they do in the Navy. Lighten up man its a three day weekend.

The other services are in the middle of historic drawdowns that haven't been ordered for the Navy - no real surprise that people are walking papers for no reason. The AF even managed to gently caress theirs up pretty bad (otherwise there wouldn't be a 9 year 25k/yr bonus for AF pilots right now)

I'm not sure "historic" is the world you're looking for. Talk to anybody who was around prior to the end of the Cold War. The military as a whole has gone through these cyclical draw-downs for as long as it has been around. The Army and the AF had to plus up the most numbers to meet OIF/OEF requirements, so they're the ones taking it in the shorts. And the AF always fucks this sorta thing up (and the Army just fucks everything up).

Geizkragen posted:

My point was we hosed ourselves with the 8 year commitment and dumb kool-aid drinking fitrep system. Dudes who know at year 6 that they want to bail can't until they've taken a potential spot for lcdr and even DH before their MSR is up. That's a dumb system. VAQ could not fill their DH spots last year and started to pull from VFA, who was also shorthanded.

Agreed. Sub guys and SEALs have just as long of a training pipeline as aviators (though I'm not sure of the expense costs of each) and don't incur nearly as long of a service obligation. Even med school folks don't incur too much more time than that... 8 years is a long-rear end time to be stuck in the Navy if you don't want to be there...

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

buttplug posted:

I'm not sure "historic" is the world you're looking for. Talk to anybody who was around prior to the end of the Cold War. The military as a whole has gone through these cyclical draw-downs for as long as it has been around. The Army and the AF had to plus up the most numbers to meet OIF/OEF requirements, so they're the ones taking it in the shorts. And the AF always fucks this sorta thing up (and the Army just fucks everything up).

Agreed. Sub guys and SEALs have just as long of a training pipeline as aviators (though I'm not sure of the expense costs of each) and don't incur nearly as long of a service obligation. Even med school folks don't incur too much more time than that... 8 years is a long-rear end time to be stuck in the Navy if you don't want to be there...

Academy sub guys incur 5 year obligation. On average it takes 2 years for a sub candidate to go through power school, prototype, and submarine officer basic course (SOBC). Their initial sea tour is 36 months. That's exactly five years. Most finish their sea tour with about 6 months left on their 5 year obligation. Some go to shore duty before getting out and others extend onboard for the last 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

buttplug posted:

Historic applies. The USAF is the smallest it has ever been by tens of thousands; the smallest since Nov 1941, just a few months after the Air Corps was reorganized into the USAAF. It's currently almost 200,000 people smaller than any time in the 90s.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 8, 2015

• Locked thread