Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Yes, I am aware. Thanks for telling me how to play my game. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Counterpoint: The cutscenes are stupid.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If you don't want to be told how to play your game, don't be the kind of moron who needs to be told.

hey guys how long will it take me to finish Infinite Jest if I skip all the words???

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I haven't played for a few weeks and those 3.07 AST changes :stare:

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Whizbang posted:

If you don't want to be told how to play your game, don't be the kind of moron who needs to be told.

hey guys how long will it take me to finish Infinite Jest if I skip all the words???

Not sure about why you think I have to watch the story if I don't want to, but keep on keepin on man!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can do whatever you want in life.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Obscurity posted:

Not sure about why you think I have to watch the story if I don't want to, but keep on keepin on man!

Because it's a Final Fantasy game, the story is the whole point.

guys how long will it take me to finish Waiting for Godot if I skip all the scenes before Godot gets there?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Whizbang posted:

guys how long will it take me to finish Waiting for Godot if I skip all the scenes before Godot gets there?

Its a Final Fantasy MMO. I can skip whatever I want. I play it for the gameplay not the story. To each their own.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Whizbang posted:

Nothing happens. Nobody comes, nobody goes. It's awful.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Fister Roboto posted:

You can do whatever you want in life.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Whizbang posted:

Infinite Jest: also bad

I mean I'm sure it's really good if you can put up with slogging through all the intentionally obfuscated prose, just like I'm sure the ffxiv plot is good if you skip all the quests that don't actually advance the plot

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 4, 2015

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Infinite Jest: also bad

I mean I'm sure it's really good if you can put up with slogging through all the intentionally obfuscated prose, just like I'm sure the ffxiv plot is good if you skip all the quests that don't actually advance the plot

I guess the thing is that you can pay the money and ignore the writing or you can pay the money and read/hear the writing. I don't think any sensible person will lose any sleep over your choice.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
Nobody cares.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
And bringing DFW into this must be the new loving :godwin:.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
The writing in this game is mediocre-to-good but paced insufferably slowly. The gameplay is great. I wish more people would play for the latter because then maybe DF wouldn't be so insufferable

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Daniel posted:

The writing in this game is mediocre-to-good but paced insufferably slowly. The gameplay is great. I wish more people would play for the latter because then maybe DF wouldn't be so insufferable

This is one of the only MMOs that has a significant portion of the playerbase that plays for the story and pays attention to it, but it's hardly the only MMO with insufferable players. So I honestly don't think that'd help.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
So I've decided to take up AST as my first healing class and I'm kinda clueless on it. Specifically, which cards I should burn for Royal Road, which ones I should enhance, and when to use the aspected heals over regular ones. Can anyone offer advice?

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

This isn't hard and fast "do this every time" advice but in general this'll have you do just fine for the most part.

Royal Road Ewer/Spire unless people are pissing through their MP/TP then use it instead. This gives you a full party buff for your next card.
Balance will never show up when you want it to, but it's great for throwing on the guy that seems most competent as far as damage goes...or on the BLM/SMN whichever. :v:
Bole is basically mitigation for your tank, if it shows up when you have RR'd party wide then it's not bad to throw out for the damage reduction for everyone but it isn't a huge amount (5% when RR'd to party, 10% for single non-enhanced). This is also not a terrible card to RR for the enhanced duration if you think you might get use out of it.
The Arrow is also semi-situational but if you have a Monk in your group, make them happy with what is effectively Greased Lightning IV. Otherwise it's worth throwing on whoever you think could use a cast speed/attack speed increase.
The Spear is extremely situational, but it basically makes any Monks, Dragoons, Black Mages, Bards, Machinists or Summoners in your company extremely happy. You have to cast it before they've started blowing cooldowns though or it doesn't reduce the CD on skills. That's the tricky part.

As far as aspected heals go - your shields don't stack on themselves (in Nocturnal) and the regens won't either (in Diurnal) so use them as often as required to maintain the respective buffs but your regular heals will do the job otherwise. Don't throw Diurnal aspected heals out at the end of a pull though. Just like WHM's regen, it'll make you a mob magnet. Unless there's a fair bit of party/raid wide damage going out, don't feel beholden to have aspected benefic/helios on everyone though because you'll tank your mana doing that.

One last piece of advice since this is your first healer - You have Lumiferous Aether as your mana regen/emnity dump tool and it works similarly to the WHM Shroud of Saints in that it gives a "refresh" effect that regens MP over the duration. You want to pop this relatively early (like 70-75% mana or so) so it'll be up again in the event of a long fight. AST mana management isn't that hard, but it takes a little getting used to.

If you haven't gotten Conjurer to 8, you'll want to do that for Cleric Stance (makes you an extra 1/2 DPS in exchange for worse healing) and Protect, plus 26 THM for Swiftcast but just starting out you really only need to worry about Cleric and Protect.

Death Dealer fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 4, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As a dragoon I like temporary skill speed buffs quite a bit because they allow me an extra geirskogul.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
bole doesn't rr into enhanced duration

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Fishious posted:

I'm sorry but what? Firstly every single top WAR parse here has a DRK as their co-tank so I'm not sure what on the ball raid groups this theoretical is applying to. I don't see how dark knights ever force a war to enter definance to snap threat, they both have combos that are devoid of threat modifiers and should be using them when threat is being taken. Secondly having a shield with a rng block rate isn't reducing AA damage to triviality, I'm still popping awareness on hand to prevent that dreaded 10k auto crit.

And that stuff about A2, you do know what dps DRKs are doing there? How does this weird math about tanking more damage ever equate to the massive gap between paladin and dark knight DPS on an aoe fight? The top paladin and dark knight on the spreadsheets I linked have a 500 dps gap. It sounds suspiciously like healers who try to argue that pulling big is a dps loss because they can't DPS as much.

It's not about entering defiance to do threat, it's about strength down reducing auto attack damage by a large enough amount to never need tank stances in the first place? Like at no point in time other than two notable instances in A2S should a warrior be in Defiance (Double Jagd Dolls if you don't have your PLD take three and the last wave with the Jagd Doll and giant robot spider thing). This happens a lot with DRK, as well, but I'm not sure if DRK enables it at the same level a PLD does by soaking the triple Jagd Doll set with CDs the way a PLD can.

A1S after the split a WAR might need to use Defiance for Hypercompressed Plasma, but I'm not 100% certain. PLDs should never need to. DRKs also shouldn't need to, though it feels really iffy when I do it on A1S. And on A3S you never need tank stance for any point in the fight with a PLD (unless you somehow 5 stack the blunt down buff in the final phase, which I don't think you can do). Like I don't get how this could be even remotely a question. Reducing your tank stance use from 'minimal' to 'nonexistent' is a bigger dps increase than whatever else you can do, regardless of what tank you have in the not-War spot, and PLD enables that with strength down easily.

Where this doesn't happen is A4s, because, again, there's an incredible amount of magic damage which is where DRK shines.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

kharaa posted:

bole doesn't rr into enhanced duration

I was writing that not being on the game to double check, but you're right. Bole is enhanced Potency which is even better really.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
You shouldn't RR ewer/spire ever in 4-man content, especially not if you're going to use Balance next. I haven't done the math but I'm pretty sure there is no reason to expand in 4-man content ever. Give ewers to yourself and spires to whoever has the lowest tp (before level fifty this is meaningless, no one ever uses all their tp). Maybe arrows would be kinda useful, but the effect would be so low after expanding as to be meaningless.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think what bugs me the most about PLD is it feels really "vanilla" compared to other classes. There isn't any aspect of playing them that sets them apart from other classes.

One way to address this is to focus on the fact that they're the only job that has an off-hand item. Take all the shield abilities off of GCD and have them share a 4- or 6-second cooldown timer, and have combos for them.

Another possibility is to boost PLD's "gently caress You Boss Mechanics" abilities, like maybe switch clemency with a self-rez (that works even if you fall off the arena) or something.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Obscurity posted:

Ok so i just got my full set of ilvl 115 from Heavensward MSQ..from here..how long roughly (if i skip cutscenes) until I am at end of the story? Like how much time invested roughly to go? The quests I'm on and about to turn in are Knights Be Not Proud / A Reward Long in Coming.

If you've been skipping cutscenes since the 2.X story and haven't tried watching any of the 3.0 ones you should maybe give them a chance since everything about the plot, writing, and cutscenes are better in 3.0 than any part of 2.X was.
Feel free to continue to skip any cutscene with a moogle in it with abandon, though, because gently caress moogles.

Sarrisan posted:

(before level fifty this is meaningless, no one ever uses all their tp)

Warrior :black101:

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, I finally pried myself from other games to get back into FFXIV, get Alexander done, and maybe level a job or two on the side. But first, lets see what this Moonfire Faire thing is abou

In case you haven't already, please be sure to do the other seasonal event in Ul'dah as well. It's down that merchant road behind the adventurer's guild, and both events end Sunday night.

Same goes for anyone else that hasn't done it yet!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

As a dragoon I like temporary skill speed buffs quite a bit because they allow me an extra geirskogul.

as a dragoon I'd rather not have it ever since it starts making it impossible with my ping to do offGCDs between GCDs if someone puts Arrow on me while I have Fey Wind

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
git gud (internet)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ilifinicus posted:

as a dragoon I'd rather not have it ever since it starts making it impossible with my ping to do offGCDs between GCDs if someone puts Arrow on me while I have Fey Wind

The amount of people in your shoes are slim. It makes it impossible with decent ping to get two off GCDs between two GCDs, but people shouldn't be doing that most of the time anyways. Gimme that extra geirskogul all day long.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mr. Vile posted:

So I've decided to take up AST as my first healing class and I'm kinda clueless on it. Specifically, which cards I should burn for Royal Road, which ones I should enhance, and when to use the aspected heals over regular ones. Can anyone offer advice?

Make sure to give your Black Mage friends Ewer so you can watch their brain short circuit in a hilarious display.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
In 4 man's I just spread Ewer as soon as I get it, so I can use it to help spam gravity later.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Mr. Vile posted:

Well I mostly disagree with the other guy who gave you advice about cards. 90% of the cards I draw that aren't balance or arrow are either RR'd or simply clicked off if I already have a better RR effect than what I drew. Right clicking the card drawn buff will get your Draw ability cooldown going faster than just letting it expire if you don't want to use it. My goal is to get out as many balance/arrow cards with RR effects as possible. I wouldn't really call arrow "situational". Every dps can benefit from it barring DRG's situation at 60. For 4 mans, my opinion is extend > enhance > expand. For 8 it is expand > extend > enhance outside of specific burn phases in which case enhance is ranked higher than extend.
Spear is only really useful on the pull for most jobs unless you go out of your way to coordinate it but even then it is just hard to get reliable value out of. Even if you drop it on the pull, it's not guaranteed that the reduction will actually allow the person to get more rounds of cooldowns out before the fight ends compared to if they didn't get it.
So for me it basically goes Draw -> is Balance/Arrow? -> if yes, use it. If no, burn it. Next Draw -> is balance/arrow? -> yes, use it. no, is the rr effect better than what I have? -> yes, burn it. no, shuffle it and re-evaluate. if it's still bad it'll probably be clicked off. At any point in here, however, there are situational uses for the other cards that you can consider and it's just something you'll get better at as you get more experience. And it also depends on the fight. I'll be more likely to allow myself to use Bole in A3S or A4S than other fights, for instance. But in general increasing dps is the most useful effect.

There's some other stuff to consider when you get Spread and the rest of your kit but for now you should mostly worry about recognizing all your cards, what they give when RR'd and maybe most importantly keeping on top of your Draw CD. But before 60, and in 4 mans in general, no one is really going to give a poo poo what you do with your cards if the tank isn't dying.

As far as the DRG thing, I know illifin isn't the only one that dislikes arrow. Our DRG also dislikes it, though I've never asked him specifically why.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 4, 2015

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Make sure to give your Black Mage friends Ewer so you can watch their brain short circuit in a hilarious display.

Please treat your party's BLM humanely.

I still main monk, so just keep giving me Arrow and Fey Wind. I'll send you a post card from the other side of the Speed Force.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
For NIN should a huton be able to be done in between one global cooldown skill and another? I have trouble getting a two mudra skill off, let alone a three.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I loving love arrows. Fast dragoon is loving tits.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I finally finished Hildibrand yesterday, topping it off with Greg 2: The Gregening. I got Enkidu and the Bartz card on my very first run :feelsgood:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

WobblySausage posted:

For NIN should a huton be able to be done in between one global cooldown skill and another? I have trouble getting a two mudra skill off, let alone a three.

If you're in Japan, yes. If you're not, don't worry about it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I loving love arrows. Fast dragoon is loving tits.

Warriors love arrows too. If you have the coordination for it, it lets you easily get 9 GCDs during berserk.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Old Ewer was awesome for them, but bad for literally everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Whizbang posted:

Really? Guess I better unsub now that I'm 60

• Locked thread