Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

Almost all of the problems people have with the game, are caused by the larger levels.

I don't think the game is a perfect masterpiece, but I'm glad that they explored alternate playstyles and created some exhausting challenges, instead of doing Hotline Miami 2: More Levels edition.

Almost everything about HM2 is worse than HM1. The level design sucks, melee weapons are worthless thanks to them being slow as gently caress, there's basically no reason to ever execute anyone anymore since they take so long now and grant so many less points. The plot is a half assed attempt at being Pulp Fiction (though I will defend the ending), and even the soundtrack is mediocre. For every banger on there like Sexualizer or Le Perv, there's garbage like The Rumble or Miss Minnie.

I have no idea what you mean by "alternate play styles" other than "turning HM into every other twin stick shooter" which playing the first game like that would result in poo poo scores if not outright death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
don't be mean to miss minnie. it's not only great, but also the perfect theme song for the son.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You're right, Miss Minnie is still bad but it's not nearly as bad as The Rumble and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

I should have said DETECTION or Chamber of Reflections.

If I have to say something nice about HM2 it's that has probably has the best title screen for a game I've ever seen especially once you realize what it's depicting.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 4, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
To be fair they did patch out some (all?) of the buggy door behavior and dogs no long chase their own tails forever. Those things were really annoying and bad but they aren't in the game anymore. I think the "generous" hitboxes for bullets are still a thing, though.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Bloodline is pretty great too, sadly it is attached to That map.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but dear lord Pirate Jet just called HLM2 soundtrack mediocre. Better roll out a patch to fix that poo poo!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

turboraton posted:

Man I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but dear lord Pirate Jet just called HLM2 soundtrack mediocre. Better roll out a patch to fix that poo poo!

Can't fix bad taste, as evidenced by my fervent enjoyment of this game

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If you cut out around half of it it'd be the best soundtrack ever but you can't just ignore all the filler when judging it as a whole.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

If you cut out around half of it it'd be the best soundtrack ever but you can't just ignore all the filler when judging it as a whole.

So half of the best soundtrack ever is mediocre?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The only crime committed by the soundtrack is being 49 songs instead of 50.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pirate Jet posted:

If I have to say something nice about HM2 it's that has probably has the best title screen for a game I've ever seen especially once you realize what it's depicting.

Hotline Miami was a game that had great storytelling rather than a great story. Hotline Miami 2 seems to think that people liked the story itself which is why it feels weaker since it over-explains everything and has way too many :words:, which is a shame because when they shut up and let the game tell the story like with the title screen or the final level it's still awesome.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

turboraton posted:

So half of the best soundtrack ever is mediocre?

I'm being casually hyperbolic, everyone knows the actual best video game soundtrack ever is No More Heroes.

Sleeveless posted:

Hotline Miami was a game that had great storytelling rather than a great story. Hotline Miami 2 seems to think that people liked the story itself which is why it feels weaker since it over-explains everything and has way too many :words:, which is a shame because when they shut up and let the game tell the story like with the title screen or the final level it's still awesome.

:agreed:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

You're right, Miss Minnie is still bad but it's not nearly as bad as The Rumble and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

Not as bad as the Rumble? That means the Rumble is bad, meaning that a great level with a great song is bad, or you just have a comparatively bad taste in music, so lets go with that.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The songs that stick out to me as "bad" are the ones that are more atmospheric like disturbance, chamber of reflections, Java, and so forth. They try a bit too hard to be atmosphere first and songs second. The first game had such great mood setting tracks. Imagine fitting Silver Lights somewhere in Hotline Miami 2. It would blow the rest of the atmospheric tracks away. Black Tar is the one exception, I want more tracks like that.

How anyone can call a soundtrack with Voyager, Decade Dance, Remorse, Bloodline, She Swallows Burning Coals, Future Club, Technoir and Fahkeet mediocre is beyond me though. :colbert:

Edit: Holy poo poo how did I forget Dubmoon's Richard, NARC, the Way Home, and Slum Lord. And Divide. And Hotline Theme. I think I just named half the soundtrack. Y'all are crazy.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 4, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

turboraton posted:

I loved Hotline Miami 2 and I think it is a great game and the best purchase I have made in the whole 2015. I do not understand the bitching and/or frustration about a game that is really challenging on Hard. I would 100% the achievements but I do not like to grind kills (missing like 200).

If anything, I am grateful for a game that provided me this level of satisfaction satisfaction without commiting massive hours to the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-SsRWqTNQw

EDIT: Awww poo poo after typing so much words about a game decided to boot it and got S on Execution HARD. What a great game seriously and gently caress the fans.

You know, it's ok to like a game, but not everything about it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JAssassin posted:

The songs that stick out to me as "bad" are the ones that are more atmospheric like disturbance, chamber of reflections, Java, and so forth. They try a bit too hard to be atmosphere first and songs second. The first game had such great mood setting tracks. Imagine fitting Silver Lights somewhere in Hotline Miami 2. It would blow the rest of the atmospheric tracks away. Black Tar is the one exception, I want more tracks like that.

How anyone can call a soundtrack with Voyager, Decade Dance, Remorse, Bloodline, She Swallows Burning Coals, Future Club, Technoir and Fahkeet mediocre is beyond me though. :colbert:

Edit: Holy poo poo how did I forget Dubmoon's Richard, NARC, the Way Home, and Slum Lord. And Divide. And Hotline Theme. I think I just named half the soundtrack. Y'all are crazy.

I think that in retrospect Run is one of my favorite tracks precisely because the opening is so dirty and noisy that it's almost the complete opposite of the more forgettable ambient tracks. Having all those dissonant opening notes blasting before it settles into the song is awesome and really sets the stage for how freaky it is to step off of a subway and wind up in the middle of a gang war that has absolutely nothing to do with anything else that's going on in the game and even when it settles down it doesn't quite fit in with anything else on either game's soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICjD3f-8SXE

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I think it's a great game, I loved it. If the cheevo wasnt 500 kills I would have closure already. I guess that makes space for the editor. The game is a blast when you just let go and get the kills flowing after [PRESS SPACE]. Songs mesh pretty good with that feeling, it reminded me of Super Meat Boy in that aspect.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 5, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Both the first and second game have their respective good, and bad, songs

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My alarm clock is still Hydrogen from the first game.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

JAssassin posted:

You didn't even mention the Carpenter Brut songs. Or Sexualizer.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Coolguye posted:

snorkel bob's wants that strawman back yo don't burn it that hard

As someone who has tried to work with Game Makers collision I really feel those gifs.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

I think that in retrospect Run is one of my favorite tracks precisely because the opening is so dirty and noisy that it's almost the complete opposite of the more forgettable ambient tracks.

Totally agree. I wish there was more like that.

Stargate posted:

You didn't even mention the Carpenter Brut songs. Or Sexualizer.

Did I have to?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm gonna beat this dumb game.

A+ on normal, just got catastrophe and apocalypse on hard to go (unless you need to do abyss as well?)

Somehow got genocide just by playing normally and failing forever.

Dunno about box full of sharp objects, I must be missing like one obscure weapon or something. Got it, I was missing the acid bottle in withdrawal and the taser

I'm also going through HLM1 trying to A+ that, I think I'm about halfway? But the levels are getting harder so, gently caress.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 6, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mazerunner posted:

I'm gonna beat this dumb game.

A+ on normal, just got catastrophe and apocalypse on hard to go (unless you need to do abyss as well?)

Somehow got genocide just by playing normally and failing forever.

Dunno about box full of sharp objects, I must be missing like one obscure weapon or something.

I'm also going through HLM1 trying to A+ that, I think I'm about halfway? But the levels are getting harder so, gently caress.

Hard news, the entrance to the level, there's a glass bottle on the desk.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, while I see all the gameplay complaints and agree with them, I still thought HM2 was really drat fun. It's a game where the writing and aesthetics really do carry it; yeah, the soldier levels were a motherfucker, and so was Death Wish, and etc, but it's still really legitimately satisfying to power through the bugs and see all the cool poo poo the game does have. Apocalypse is literally one of my favorite levels in a game ever, and probably my second-favorite ending after Red Dead Redemption.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

I think that in retrospect Run is one of my favorite tracks precisely because the opening is so dirty and noisy that it's almost the complete opposite of the more forgettable ambient tracks. Having all those dissonant opening notes blasting before it settles into the song is awesome and really sets the stage for how freaky it is to step off of a subway and wind up in the middle of a gang war that has absolutely nothing to do with anything else that's going on in the game and even when it settles down it doesn't quite fit in with anything else on either game's soundtrack.

I love Run for this very reason. Run and Le Perv are the two stand out music tracks in my opinion and are the two songs that I immediately think of when I reminisce about HLM2. Though Le Perv isn't really on par with Run, honestly. With that said, the complete soundtrack is pretty loving solid.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 6, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I did it. Trophy Addict yaaa

I thought I'd heard that your controls get reversed during hard apocalypse? That didn't happen to me, so I guess not?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Geight posted:

The only crime committed by the soundtrack is being 49 songs instead of 50.

49 states, 49 tracks
makes sense to me

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mazerunner posted:

I thought I'd heard that your controls get reversed during hard apocalypse? That didn't happen to me, so I guess not?

You may have just heard a distorted version of the fact that Hard maps are mirrored.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Mazerunner posted:

It used to but it was removed in a later patch for some stupid reason. The suddenly reversed controls was the single greatest moment in the game.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mazerunner posted:

Wait, there's an achievement for A+ing hard? gently caress, How did that go for you in the end?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Anatharon posted:

This is something a lot of people don't get for some reason

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Wait, there's an achievement for A+ing hard? gently caress, How did that go for you in the end?

Oh no, just A+ normal, and then complete hard, which I've done both.

I'm not insane, I'm not going to A+ hard mode (although I did get a few A+ and S's on hard).

Just 5 more levels on HLM1 to A+, then all the ground kills and go to car 60 times.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mazerunner posted:

Oh no, just A+ normal, and then complete hard, which I've done both.

I'm not insane, I'm not going to A+ hard mode (although I did get a few A+ and S's on hard).

Just 5 more levels on HLM1 to A+, then all the ground kills and go to car 60 times.

Oh, I sometimes wonder to myself if should try to A+/S rank Hard, sounds like a challenge and a half, but maybe I just got a skewed perspective when I got some high ranks with the Ash and Alex and its the path to madness with more difficult characters.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

khwarezm posted:

Oh, I sometimes wonder to myself if should try to A+/S rank Hard, sounds like a challenge and a half, but maybe I just got a skewed perspective when I got some high ranks with the Ash and Alex and its the path to madness with more difficult characters.

it's fun if you go for an A-rank, but A+/S is just too radical

E: better yet, try to F-rank a level

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Studio posted:

I know the HLM2 speedrunners and boy oh boy do they have some things to say about the game (we agreed not to go too hostile on it at SGDQ)

I'm watching this now, since you clued me into to its existence, and yeah they're trying really hard to not just bitch the whole time and only mostly succeed. It's a really good run though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjKTU21V8o

Hotline Miami 2: "It's Just Luck"

e: Wait you're one of the guys on the couch wow!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 7, 2015

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I liked hotline miami 2 a lot; I thought the story, aesthetic and soundtrack were loving awesome.

Looking forward to making some things in the editor, when it does come out

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Beekeeping and You posted:

I liked hotline miami 2 a lot; I thought the story, aesthetic and soundtrack were loving awesome.

Looking forward to making some things in the editor, when it does come out

The level editor was what was in the briefcase in Metro.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Anatharon posted:

The level editor was what was in the briefcase in Metro.

We just need to get it out of the dumpster now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Anyone happen to have a link to the full SGDQ HLM 2 run? The one I could find cut off before Duke Bilgewater talked about what he thought of the game, and I was kinda interested in that.

• Locked thread