Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't played MGS5 so I could well be wrong but isn't Quiet getting a lot of attention because Kojima stated there'd be some deeper meaning to her character design but it turned out to be flimsy bullhsit like everyone suspected it would be?

I don't think people were expecting "just a flimsy excuse to show her body", they were projecting way worse theories IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Hidden audio tape?

She literally says "there's another one in my...", jumps out of the helicopter and explodes in the final cutscene of GZ.

Its implied but you have to actually search for the tape to know for sure. For example I didn't see any articles and thinkpieces on the audiotape that Paz was felt up a lot by Strangelove.

I'll say this maybe because I'm from a dangerous area in Mexico and I have heard and seen so much more bad stuff on the level of a vagina bomb in real life that I think that sometimes gross disgusting things like this happen, but I don't think that means we can't talk about it or include it. A lot of awful poo poo happens you know. I don't know its weird.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

MGSV really is great. After 4 left a bad taste in my mouth I stopped paying attention to the franchise and hadn't heard anything about a new MGS game (except that it existed) until about a month ago because I was that disinterested. Once the reviews started pouring in I figured it was worth trying out. It definitely is. MGS3 was the previous high point to me for a variety of reasons (jungle setting, 1960's, amazing boss fights) but on gameplay alone this has it easily whipped. I'm not one for stealth-action anymore but its pretty drat amazing here. The complete freedom the game gives you cannot be overstated. You can be a quiet ninja that is never seen, or you can be a cross between Wyatt Earp and the Terminator, riding your steed into battle guns a blazing as a murder machine. Each are equally as valid to me thus far and fun for different reasons.

Ignoring some of the weird "Kojima way up his own rear end" moments thus far, this feels like the ultimate action/military movie simulator.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
What a weird and wonderful world we live in where MGS V inherits Far Cry 2's crown. I had a tear rolling down my cheek during down that episode.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HMS Boromir posted:

This, except the exact opposite.

Well, I'd love a podcast that explores Doom wads in the type of depth with which Gary and Kole cover the souls series (Doom Radio is too inconsistent), but being realistic to a single episode length...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its implied but you have to actually search for the tape to know for sure. For example I didn't see any articles and thinkpieces on the audiotape that Paz was felt up a lot by Strangelove.

I'll say this maybe because I'm from a dangerous area in Mexico and I have heard and seen so much more bad stuff on the level of a vagina bomb in real life that I think that sometimes gross disgusting things like this happen, but I don't think that means we can't talk about it or include it. A lot of awful poo poo happens you know. I don't know its weird.
I know about the cartels, about cars filled with severed heads, walls with severed arms nailed to them, etc. A child tortured, raped, and then blown up with a vagina bomb is really hosed regardless of it being fictional or not, and with Kojima's history with women, and Japanese culture with women in general, it's super hosed up! Has there been anything that grotesque in a video game before? There's been plenty of murder, horrific violence, decapitations, whatever in games, but to the extent they went with Paz in GZ is far beyond anything I've experienced in a game prior, and that's not necessarily a good thing. It could just be them pushing the limits of what's acceptable in media once again. But that doesn't mean people have to accept it or not call it out.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't think that means we can't talk about it or include it. A lot of awful poo poo happens you know. I don't know its weird.

You're falling into a bit of a rhetorical trap here. We certainly can talk about it, and Kojima definitely can include whatever he wants. The question is more whether or not he should and what it means that he does / whether or not it's gross and unnecessary and if the narrative would lose anything by not including it. Like, there are other places you can put a second bomb.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I know about the cartels, about cars filled with severed heads, walls with severed arms nailed to them, etc. A child tortured and then blown up with a vagina bomb is really hosed regardless of it being fictional or not, and with Kojima's history with women, and Japanese culture with women in general, it's super hosed up! Has there been anything that grotesque in a video game before? There's been plenty of murder, horrific violence, decapitations, whatever in games, but to the extent they went with Paz in GZ is far beyond anything I've experienced in a game prior, and that's not necessarily a good thing. It could just be them pushing the limits of what's acceptable in media once again. But that doesn't mean people have to accept it or not call it out.

Yeah obviously it is hosed up, I don't want to say its not. I'm just trying to wrap my thoughts about why I think it was super over blown. At least I think it was.

NmareBfly posted:

You're falling into a bit of a rhetorical trap here. We certainly can talk about it, and Kojima definitely can include whatever he wants. The question is more whether or not he should and what it means that he does / whether or not it's gross and unnecessary and if the narrative would lose anything by not including it. Like, there are other places you can put a second bomb.

Of course. I guess Kojima just wanted to be like "look how hosed up this was" to give you motivation to beat the bad guy or something?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Ramagamma posted:

Hahaha. No it's not you loving crazy person. If you said "Thousand Year Door is a good video game" I'd just nod, say all opinions are valid and back away without breaking eye contact but to call that game "near perfection" ? Like in all seriousness, can we swap lives because the kind of upbringing that causes someone to lavish that much praise on an utterly mediocre and child friendly Nintendo wank-fest must find joy and delight in staring at a pavement.

It's widely regarded as the best Paper Mario game, though. I'm inclined to agree.

Now, Sticker Star... I bought a 3DS for that game, and YEESH. The sticker concept is novel, but you end up hitting your limit early and often, meaning fighting in battles is pointless since you're rewarded with things you can't use. That soundtrack is killer, though.

Most people didn't even know about the bomb vagina because that was in a hidden audio tape. And then everyone went loving crazy about it when one person reported about the tape.

There has been WAYYYYYYYYYY worse poo poo in video games that is actually shown and I always thought the MGS stuff was so overblown.

I dunno, they make it pretty obvious. The final cutscene of Ground Zeroes has Paz going: "There's another bomb in my..." before she jumps out of a helicopter and explodes.

The worst thing, though, is the cassette tape you find that depicts the villain of the game forcing Chico to essentially rape Paz. I bet that recording session was a whole lot of fun.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 4, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bobservo posted:

It's widely regarded as the best Paper Mario game, though. I'm inclined to agree.

Now, Sticker Star... I bought a 3DS for that game, and YEESH. The sticker concept is novel, but you end up hitting your limit early and often, meaning fighting in battles is pointless since you're rewarded with things you can't use. That soundtrack is killer, though.

Never read the iwata asks about Sticker Star. Its so depressing.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Never read the iwata asks about Sticker Star. Its so depressing.

Do tell!

Also, Paz is such a lovely character in terms of depicting women. When she's introduced in Peace Walker, it's implied that she was sexually assaulted by soliders; during this speech you can zoom in past her clothes and see her in her underwear. Not to mention the fact that true final boss of Peace Walker involves her piloting a Metal Gear in nothing but a bra and panties. Not sure if Kojima was opportunistically trying to tap into the Japanese pedo market for handheld games with that character, or if he thinks those ideas are legitimately worthwhile.

MGSV totally owns, though, and it's a shame MGS4 (and Ground Zeroes to a lesser extent) kind of poisoned the well for the series. People still assume the game is an anime cutscene festival, and it's hard to blame them.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 4, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Goons calling random things anime: Never gets old.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Considering all this vagina-bomb talk, I'm very happy to of dismissed the series after #4 and have only come back at 5.

In some of those "story in 5 minutes" videos I've seen recently in order to catch up, I've seen the woman explode, but didn't infer from that it was in her vagina, gently caress. WTF?

I just started listening to the Idle Thumbs show about MGS and its funny you all bring up the weird hospital gown rear end shot and IV bag/piss pants gag. When I was playing it the other night I was laughing to myself thinking about how that shot was framed that way. What a weirdo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bobservo posted:

Do tell!

Also, Paz is such a lovely character in terms of depicting women. When she's introduced in Peace Walker, it's implied that she was sexually assaulted by soliders; during this speech you can zoom in past her clothes and see her in her underwear. Not to mention the fact that true final boss of Peace Walker involves her piloting a Metal Gear in nothing but a bra and panties. Not sure if Kojima was opportunistically trying to tap into the Japanese pedo market for handheld games with that character, or if he thinks those ideas are legitimately worthwhile.

MGSV totally owns, though, and it's a shame MGS4 (and Ground Zeroes to a lesser extent) kind of poisoned the well for the series. People still assume the game is an anime cutscene festival, and it's hard to blame them.

Lets just say Miyamoto ruined the game.

quote:

Iwata : Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?
Tanabe: Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

And there's more I think as well. http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/0

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nothing random about calling Metal Gear anime

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I subscribe to two anime streaming service and went to like 15 conventions during my wasted youth so I reserve the right to use "anime" however I please, sir.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm going to posit that MGS4 is actually still a great game and it gets a bad rap because of its cutscenes. MGS4 was so good! It still is good.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

I'm going to posit that MGS4 is actually still a great game and it gets a bad rap because of its cutscenes. MGS4 was so good! It still is good.

I enjoyed my time with MGS4, but in such a way that I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The hype was loving crazy around MGS4 (it caused me to cave and finally get a ps3) and looking back most of my enjoyment was telling myself i should be enjoying it. I hardly remember anything about the game except for a few small tidbits and the ending. I can recall drat near everything about the first 3, even though I wasn't crazy about 2.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of past Metal Gear games, Chris said on the new IT that MGS 1 and 3 were his favorites. I keep hearing this general breakdown where people either think 1 and 3 are the better half of the series, or 2 and 4 are. Why is this? Were the even-numbered games designed similarly, and the odds ones were as well?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of past Metal Gear games, Chris said on the new IT that MGS 1 and 3 were his favorites. I keep hearing this general breakdown where people either think 1 and 3 are the better half of the series, or 2 and 4 are. Why is this? Were the even-numbered games designed similarly, and the odds ones were as well?

2 was the game were you had the big fakeout and Raiden was actually the main character and this just pissed a lot of people off. MGS2 is also the game where the story LITERALLY goes off the rails (in the best possible ways in my opinion) and that might have annoyed a lot of people or confused a lot of people as well.

MGS4 is just bat poo poo insanity from the get go.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

C-Euro posted:

1 and 3 are basically spy movies, while 2 and 4 go more into the memetic technobabble and terminology.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I have this opinion so here is why I feel that way.

#1 was revolutionary at the time. Not much more needs to be said about this one.

#2 had the infamous bait and switch where you played as Snake for a tiny portion at the beginning, and then generic anime protagonist Raiden for the majority. In addition to that, much of it felt very similar to #1 in regards to what you were doing. This is also where the plot started to get really crazy (although admittedly now it looks forward thinking in regards to the manipulation of digital stuff). Gameplay wise is was fine, if not sort of a rehash of 1.

#3 was loving awesome. The jungle setting was different and cool, the boss fights were memorable (including one of the best final boss fights ever), the story was fun. It was like a great Rambo and James Bond movie mixed up.

#4 was just wacky. The gameplay was fine I guess, but the cutscenes were insanely long and everything was just over the top, not in a good way. Even though all MGS games are linear (except for 5 really), 4 really felt limited. I dunno. I just didn't like it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I have this opinion so here is why I feel that way.

#1 was revolutionary at the time. Not much more needs to be said about this one.

#2 had the infamous bait and switch where you played as Snake for a tiny portion at the beginning, and then generic anime protagonist Raiden for the majority. In addition to that, much of it felt very similar to #1 in regards to what you were doing. This is also where the plot started to get really crazy (although admittedly now it looks forward thinking in regards to the manipulation of digital stuff). Gameplay wise is was fine, if not sort of a rehash of 1.

#3 was loving awesome. The jungle setting was different and cool, the boss fights were memorable (including one of the best final boss fights ever), the story was fun. It was like a great Rambo and James Bond movie mixed up.

#4 was just wacky. The gameplay was fine I guess, but the cutscenes were insanely long and everything was just over the top, not in a good way. Even though all MGS games are linear (except for 5 really), 4 really felt limited. I dunno. I just didn't like it.

This is actually explained in the plot and I thought it was pretty good.

I just like the conspiracy stuff in mgs a lot though.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

This is actually explained in the plot and I thought it was pretty good.

I just like the conspiracy stuff in mgs a lot though.

Oh yeah, it was explained. I just found the oil rig setting to be dull as hell.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

MGS4 was just a painful experience for me, and Kojima basically peed all the Snake Eater goodwill right down his leg. I nearly gave up during that last chapter, where it's just a gauntlet of annoying robots firing missiles at you from every direction.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So is the Snake/Raiden fakeout the biggest surprise/twist/whatever you wanna call it in gaming history? I can't think of anything that comes close to that, especially given the profile of the game. It's amazing it was kept under wraps.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

So is the Snake/Raiden fakeout the biggest surprise/twist/whatever you wanna call it in gaming history? I can't think of anything that comes close to that, especially given the profile of the game. It's amazing it was kept under wraps.

I think so, and the fact that the theme of the game is "misinformation" makes the bait-and-switch even juicier. That said, I can't loving imagine how this kind of twist would go down in the era of GamerGate. I'm pretty sure Kojima would have to go into hiding.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
As a consumer I have the right to never be surprised.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

C-Euro posted:

The people who like MGS2 best are people who appreciate it from a literary standpoint; it is and will probably remain as one of the most forward-thinking and thematically rich video game. Though this is at somewhat at a cost in terms of gameplay, as it tries to break some of the general rules of game design to convey some of these themes. It is also a bit obtuse in how it presents these in some ways, so these themes went over many people's heads (and not in a "dumb plebians not understanding art" way, I mean in a "this is not the most effective way to present this" way). It was both a groundbreaking experiment in video game narrative, and a evolutionary dead-end because of it.

I'd say if you're an MGS fan you always like 1 and 3, but it varies on how much you like 2 and can forgive 4.

I say forgive 4, since it doubles down on the flaws of 2 but doesn't try to be as brave in terms of it's narrative. It's story tries to do everything it thinks a Metal Gear fan would want; big steaks, cool action, and fanservice. Unfortunately it pushed too hard on these things and made the audience feel a bit manipulated. It also was ambitious; as it should have been, it was the flagship game for a advanced platform of a highly-anticipated sequel. Unfortunately it was overly ambitious, it tried to have too many features and mechanics than it could have provided; and wanted to have a much larger world than was possible within the time constraints. Likewise because it was so anticipated both Sony and Konami wanted the game out sooner rather than later. So there was too little promised features, too little gameplay, and to compensate there were far too much cutscenes that made nobody happy...

Well I should say almost, because they were frequently hilarious and there was much more silliness in line with the previous games. So if you appreciated MGS as a comedic series then there was something to love in MGS4. Plus the controls were much better than previous games. Whereas previous games had difficult controls, these games were also designed around those limitations so it never quite made players frustrated. MGS4 finally had controls that didn't fight back, and gave much more flexibility to play in a variety of styles...

But because the game was rushed somewhat, there were poor explanations for the controls in the game; and later releases included an instructional comic book that explained the nuances of the controls. Not that there was much room for experimentation, since there was comparatively little gameplay time to utilize the full extent of MGS4's new controls.

But if you liked the humor and the controls then MGS4 was actually not as bad as people said; but if the faults were dealbreakers then there was no redemption for it.

So to restate, all MGS fans love 1 and 3, some appreciate 2, and 4 was a mess that has somewhat of a small cult-following.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Song For The Deaf posted:

Whoa, please spoiler tag that. Thanks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never played a Metal Gear game except the original on an arcade cabinet years ago, nor knew a thing about it past "there's a guy who knows you like castlevania!" in MGS1, and watched Metal Gear Scanlon over the last year where Drew Scanlon, Giant Bomb's video duder, played through the entire series from MGS1 to 4(watching the 3 hour Peacewalker video someone made on Youtube) and Ground Zeroes with Dan Ryckert(noted metal gear fanboy) as his copilot, and they're about to start MGSV soon. It was fascinating watching him learn this entire game series he knew absolutely nothing about alongside me learning about it all too. Watching MGS4, it seemed like it would have been a much, much better game if they had excised the Beauties entirely, or condensed them into a single entity/fight. Everything about them dragged the game down. The rest of the game had incredible moments, like Ocelot's finger guns that actually did something, or the Rex vs Ray fight, or Mount Snakemore, or the final fight atop that gigantic submarine. And then the post-credits scene was an absolute trainwreck that undermined almost anything good the game did. I feel like it was a huge gently caress you by kojima because he wasn't allowed to execute snake at the end of MGS4.

Overall, I feel like Metal Gear is a pretty cool series that has certain moments or characters that greatly impede it from being among the best ever. Seeing videos of 5 makes me want to buy it though, wow.

But man, that Rex vs Ray fight in 4 was incredible. Incredibly badass as well as dropping brand new mechanics on you out of nowhere for just a single boss fight, really was something else. That sort of thing elevates 4 above being bad due to the beauties and such, because when it was good, it was SUPER GOOD.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

This forum.... What was it Zombie's Downfall said? Something like, "There are threads more hostile than this one but none more inexplicably so."

Paper Mario is great. Being kid friendly doesn't invalidate something automatically.

I'm looking forward to checking out MGS5 when I can scare up some money, though the hour long cutscene troll thing seems pretty misguided to me. I can appreciate the audacity of it but my badwill towards Kojima movie time has outweighed my goodwill towards Kojima gameplay time at several moments in the past (because Kojima movie time is bullshit, shhhhh).

I'm glad there isn't the air of apologetic defending about MGS5 that there was around 4. That was what scared me off of 4.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I agree with the praise for the recent run of Retronauts. The LTTP/Sim City music/MGS eps are as good as any episodes I've heard since the original run on 1UP way back when.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Song For The Deaf posted:

But don't you loving dare spoil the slightest bit of any piece of media, ever, no matter how inconsequential!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Woffle posted:

I'm glad there isn't the air of apologetic defending about MGS5 that there was around 4. That was what scared me off of 4.

If anything I think it's been the polar opposite this time. Many people went in with not much tolerance for bullshit, and were rewarded with some truly amazing gameplay. The cut scene length is also much more palatable (at least a few hours in) so it's more killer, less filler. I will say though, the tutorial REALLY seemed to drag on. It's been great since that first hour though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Woffle posted:

This forum.... What was it Zombie's Downfall said? Something like, "There are threads more hostile than this one but none more inexplicably so."

Please don't equate one lunatic poster as the ambassador to the thread, especially one that thinks mental disorder is a made-up thing and can be solved by just smoking weed

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

If anything I think it's been the polar opposite this time. Many people went in with not much tolerance for bullshit, and were rewarded with some truly amazing gameplay. The cut scene length is also much more palatable (at least a few hours in) so it's more killer, less filler. I will say though, the tutorial REALLY seemed to drag on. It's been great since that first hour though.

I dunno, that opening sequence was pretty cool with the only thing I didn't like being that Ishmael would take forever to go down staircases. Really cool sequence other wise imo

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

I dunno, that opening sequence was pretty cool with the only thing I didn't like being that Ishmael would take forever to go down staircases. Really cool sequence other wise imo

That's fair. Admittedly I did it late at night on release so I was anxious to get to the open world craziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bobservo posted:

I think so, and the fact that the theme of the game is "misinformation" makes the bait-and-switch even juicier. That said, I can't loving imagine how this kind of twist would go down in the era of GamerGate. I'm pretty sure Kojima would have to go into hiding.

I don't think Kojima would give a gently caress

• Locked thread