Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So one of the duties I'm picking up in my promotion to management is maintaining our web presence, and looking over our website one thing that's really kinda jumping out at me is that our menu page has things listed in a different order than the print menu...is this just me being overly compulsive? I get the feeling if I make it all match it'll be easier to make sure things that need to change when we add new items or change pricing or whatever don't fall through the cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Kenning posted:

I concede the point – once again I forget how (relatively) privileged I am to work in California.

American labor standards are depressingly low.

Would you say that the highest cost of living in the country (California) offsets that privilege?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

goodness posted:

You are right it isn't! Less than a handful of states actually require lunch or small breaks to be provided.

E: I was wrong, almost 2 handfuls (9) of states require a 10m or reasonable opportunity to eat/use restroom.

Paid lunches/breaks maybe

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Paid lunches/breaks maybe

What is the maybe?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

goodness posted:

Would you say that the highest cost of living in the country (California) offsets that privilege?

Didn't DC overtake California recently? Might've been for specific conditions, I heard this secondhand.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

So one of the duties I'm picking up in my promotion to management is maintaining our web presence, and looking over our website one thing that's really kinda jumping out at me is that our menu page has things listed in a different order than the print menu...is this just me being overly compulsive? I get the feeling if I make it all match it'll be easier to make sure things that need to change when we add new items or change pricing or whatever don't fall through the cracks.

Just make sure it isn't a drat pdf menu.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

goodness posted:

There are plenty of places in California where the cost is living isn't that high, and in places where it is fairly high the economic opportunities are (almost) in line with the expenses. Also the superior weather is another part of the high cost of living, and I thank the good lord for that every day.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

There are plenty of places in California where the cost is living isn't that high, and in places where it is fairly high the economic opportunities are (almost) in line with the expenses. Also the superior weather is another part of the high cost of living, and I thank the good lord for that every day.

I would add that the labor benefits and whatnot that we enjoy add to our quality of life, which is a big factor in cost of living.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Tunicate posted:

Just make sure it isn't a drat pdf menu.

There's a button to open a pdf of the print menu but the menu page is just, like, text. I'm working on getting better and more photos.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

There's a button to open a pdf of the print menu but the menu page is just, like, text. I'm working on getting better and more photos.

That's good, it's a real pain in the rear end to try to browse a pdf on a smartphone (the worst sites have each page as a separate pdf).

If I can read the hours, phone number, address, a menu, and maybe even daily specials without clicking through a billion links or using flash, I consider it a a great website.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm working on getting better and more photos.

Not of the food though, right? I mean unless presentation is a rigid priority in your BOH... and really even then. I know this is picky and judgy but seriously.

Tunicate posted:

If I can read the hours, phone number, address, a menu, and maybe even daily specials without clicking through a billion links or using flash, I consider it a a great website.

If the first 3 aren't the first thing you see with a link to the fourth on any device it's a bad website imo.

also http://neversaidaboutrestaurantwebsites.tumblr.com/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Don't photograph your food. Plating changes all the time and someone will complain about it. Or the angle you took the photo at makes it look fantastic, but when they actually get the plate they aren't happy.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

“The lorem ipsum looks good.”

This is hilarious (and frighteningly accurate).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Don't photograph your food. Plating changes all the time and someone will complain about it. Or the angle you took the photo at makes it look fantastic, but when they actually get the plate they aren't happy.

The only exceptions I can think of are if you're a bakery, or harold's new york deli. And the latter doesn't include photos despite them being 100% necessary.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing. If the kitchen closes but the bar stays open, list when that happens.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 2, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
CdC - what do you say to people who ask for a smoke break? just like 'no, you can't take a break' or 'yeah, but clock out first?' or what. like the actual words you say.

I think I need to work on my iron fist technique quite a loving lot before I have any business going back into the industry. I'm way too nice and I'd totally be like... "ok :( be back in 5 minutes" even though it would drive me loving insane and I'd want to fire whoever every time I looked at them from that point on.

actually on second thought I'd probably just be like 'lol yeah just take the rest of the day off' because gently caress smoking around food you're preparing for someone else

hope that's legal!!!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This isn't per item--it's for headers and subheaders. The current images are of dishes we haven't had in ages, so it just seemed off to me. The lunch menu tile's now the signature turkey club, dinner's going to be the fish and chips, and weekend'll probably be the classic eggs/bacon/homefries/toast plate. I figure if I stick with menu items that have been fairly consistent in our 49 years open that's pretty safe.

Also, most of the photographs on the site are either of the jazz nights or of decor that we're renovating in the next two weeks, and it just seems good to have pictures of food for promotional stuff, social media, etc.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Let's Play: Prep, Weeds, Close!

After the dinner lead played Santeria by Sublime for the fourth time in two hours, you and everyone else on staff has come together in a hitherto unprecedented show of unity and finally done the needful: the relevant surfaces have been cleaned and sanitized, and the carcass has been broken down and stored in the freezer for easy disposal in separate locations under the cover of the early morning hours.

The only problem is that you have a service looming right now and no time to bicker over the Spotify. So everyone pitches in and picks one track to play while prepping, one track to spin in the weeds, and one track for cleaning up and closing, possibly while sipping shift drinks since y'know the boss just disappeared mysteriously before open and all. What godawful noise do you inflict on your coworkers?

Prep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AXF1GoabAg

Weeds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boTKLuI7nzM

Close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
no cdc, you can't play Hydrogen by M.O.O.N six-hundred and sixty six times throughout the day, that's not the game. we've been over this.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Willie Tomg posted:

Let's Play: Prep, Weeds, Close!

One of the funniest nights in the kitchen was when i introduced the other cooks to 10-hour youtube loop videos

We tried looping the Chipmunks version of Gangnam Style but we tapped out before the first play ended. There's only so far you can go to annoy everyone.

I played https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ncnomRZO8 and it went for like 5 minutes before one of the other cooks noticed, it was great

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I think the only 10 hour loop we ever made it through was the Herman four non blondes video. Oh my god I do not miss back of the house! ( I do sometimes.)

I literally can not post better than this.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
prep : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmWzXLPa6I
service : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=386zfdJt8JM
close : https://www.mixcloud.com/TOLKIENBLACK/cvs-bangers/

I'm hiring! ! !

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i would work under these conditions

edit: wait maybe not

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
We play a lot of talking heads and ween. The best was the other night were blasting gently caress the Pain Away, and one of the 60-plus servers comes in between obscene lines and starts getting down. She left before more obscene lines, so we're pretty sure she had no clue what she was dancing to.

The only thing I'm not a big fan of is screamo, so when hot line is rocking that I either bring the battered old ghetto blaster over or pop in my ear buds

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A pizza shop that I worked at had a pretty culturally diverse staff, and between the ~10 of us there was one single song that everyone was okay with. So it went on loop in the kitchen, open to close every day, for 3 years. My wife says that I mumble Hotel California in my sleep sometimes when I get sick.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willie Tomg posted:

no cdc, you can't play Hydrogen by M.O.O.N six-hundred and sixty six times throughout the day, that's not the game. we've been over this.

That's why you play the whole Hotline Miami soundtrack, duh.

Prep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KgM67enfwQ

Weeds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wW6jXZ5cRk
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uINi-b5Fi1o

Close
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl58QllW2QM

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

gently caress you, I dow aht I want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEQG_kiDK8

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

We tried looping the Chipmunks version of Gangnam Style but we tapped out before the first play ended. There's only so far you can go to annoy everyone.

After further investigation it was in fact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi0grzrag_4 which is my official entry for weeds

I stand by tom's verse for prep

and here's close https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrSSY3q1rZc

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Prep
Weeds
Close

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Splizwarf posted:

A pizza shop that I worked at had a pretty culturally diverse staff, and between the ~10 of us there was one single song that everyone was okay with. So it went on loop in the kitchen, open to close every day, for 3 years. My wife says that I mumble Hotel California in my sleep sometimes when I get sick.

Never before have I felt such great pity for another human being.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Trebuchet King posted:

Never before have I felt such great pity for another human being.

I have to hear that "Chandelier" song about 5 times a day, am I in the running?

I seriously envy y'all who get a say in what to listen to. Some sergeant plugs his/her phone into our PA every day, and it's been literally the same 12 song playlist, foh and boh, for months. I'm gonna start breaking into hives the next time I hear "Thriller" or "Heart-Shaped Box" (and I used to like these songs :( )

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9AcP3VHiak
This whole album would be pretty good too. Or the first Ziltoid album, Ziltoid the Omniscient.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
When I worked at this one restaurant the we pretty much played dubstep and house music all shift.

Now I still listen to that stuff at my new job even though I no longer work in the food industry unfortunately. :smith: I miss working with different foods and learning new recipes from coworkers.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
We had sirius/XM in the kitchen for about the first four months that I was there -- but there was too much bickering and complaining and fighting about it that eventually "the receiver in the bar broke, so we need to take this one." One of our guys was a big fan of Christian death metal.

I figured out eventually that I could get rhapsody on my phone (this was like 6 years ago) and on Sundays when chef wasn't around, we'd listen to jazz or some EDM stuff during service. Sunday nights we always did "piso mojado," aka powerwashing. For this we would hook up a CD player (?!?!) to the still existing speaker system and it would either be radiohead, daft punk live album, or Manu Chao. No matter how lovely the night was, or how much we hated powerwashing, we would always stop and do our ridiculous Pinocchio dance.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Back in the day, I'd be walking into the kitchen right about now if I hadn't been there already. Since it is a Friday, it's 50/50 if I wouldve been there already or not. Holiday weekend, so there's that slight glimmer of hope that it'll be slow, but the reality is that it will be the exact opposite.

Today, however, I am freezing in my office that we keep far too cold. I moved from my cube to our back office because the guy two cubes down from me brought in his kids... because idk why people loving bring their kids to the office before a holiday weekend? But they do. And they're screaming.. like actually screaming like dinosaurs. And now that I moved to the back, I still can't get away from G-, the admin whose voice and tone are amazingly able to be heard across the entire building. I am quite far from her desk, yet I can recite the entirety of the lunch order that she is calling in right now. SHARON, WHAT DRESSSING????? echos across the building and in my mind for eternity.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

And that's why I can't work an office job.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I don't understand any of this conversation about music at all. Why the gently caress aren't y'all listening to narcocoriddo and tejano? That's the only music that I can work to anymore, and I don't think that's a problem. poo poo will get you HYPE to cut stuff.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Cuando cuando cuando

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
For the floor, I made a Morrisey station on pandora and have proceeded to thumbs down all the Morrisey and Phil Collins. poo poo's real.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I worked at an electronics store when Soldier boy was new.

I still have panic attacks when I hear that song, which thankfully is less than once a year because it was such an awful song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
My trigger? We had a band play on Thursday nights. They were the owners buddies
Do you know how many times I wake up with a memory of an off key drunk man screeching "I waaaaaannnna know? Have you ever heeeeeeeard the rain?"

• Locked thread