Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My AFTV has been not resuming from sleep -- If I use the remote the white light pops up, but the screen never comes back on. Cycling the power fixes the problem. This only occured in the last two weeks or so. Any ideas on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

My AFTV has been not resuming from sleep -- If I use the remote the white light pops up, but the screen never comes back on. Cycling the power fixes the problem. This only occured in the last two weeks or so. Any ideas on this?

It's an issue with the latest firmware update and HDCP.

http://www.aftvnews.com/recent-fire-tv-software-updates-causing-blank-screen-issues-related-to-hdcp/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The AFTV HDCP bug seems to have been fixed in the last 48 hours :woop:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Kodi 16.0 aka Jarvis alpha is out:

http://kodi.tv/kodi-16-0-alpha-jarvis-at-your-service/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They are never going to add in emulation into a core release, huh? I think that was supposed to be in a few releases ago.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah no just like the reworked addons framework stuff I seriously doubt we'll ever see it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Why is it so difficult to turn off subtitles globally? Where do they hide the drat setting this time? I'm not hard of hearing, I don't need subs on every video I play.

Every other media player on the planet either has it off by default (or forced only for segments in other languages) or makes it super easy to set it that way.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's been awhile, but isn't there an "apply to all videos" options in the audio settings when you're playing a video?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

EC posted:

It's been awhile, but isn't there an "apply to all videos" options in the audio settings when you're playing a video?

The subtitle icon at the bottom of the playback screen? Nope, not for me. Just a Disable/Enable toggle that only affects that one video, as well as options to download and offset subs. And there's nothing in the Subtitles menu in the settings area.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah no just like the reworked addons framework stuff I seriously doubt we'll ever see it.

Or the DLNA library sharing.

:smith:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FlyingCheese posted:

The subtitle icon at the bottom of the playback screen? Nope, not for me. Just a Disable/Enable toggle that only affects that one video, as well as options to download and offset subs. And there's nothing in the Subtitles menu in the settings area.

Not Subtitles, Audio. Disable subtitles and then scroll down for a bit for "set as default for all videos".

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

EC posted:

Not Subtitles, Audio. Disable subtitles and then scroll down for a bit for "set as default for all videos".

I am longtime XBMC/Kodi user. after the most recent upgrade, the "apply this is as default for all videos" isnt working for me. everytime i start a new video, the subtitles are enabled.

i agree that having this defaulted to on, and having it buried in the menu that is only accessible while playing a video is a poor design. i wish there were kotkeys( the "S" key, perhaps) that simple brought up a subtitle menu. while im at it, having the "repeat" function buried in the context menu is stupid, too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

Or the DLNA library sharing.

:smith:

That one at least is sorta coming along in fits and starts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cornjob posted:

i wish there were kotkeys( the "S" key, perhaps) that simple brought up a subtitle menu.

"L" toggles between the subtitles (including "OFF"). "T" turns them on and off.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I have subtitles and audio bound to the green and yellow buttons on the remote. I prefer subtitles but they shouldn't be on by default. They may just be assuming that if you have subtitles present you probably want them playing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I didn't pay attention to setting forced subtitles when I ripped my DVDs, so I'm fine with them playing automatically. If they show up when the movie plays, I'm okay with toggling them off. If they don't show up, there's a good chance there's something being translated later in the movie!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

EC posted:

Thanks for this. What a stupid place to put that setting.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yeah I haven't upgraded from 13.2 yet, no feature addition has been compelling enough for me to upgrade and slog through the inevitable issues running it on my weird hardware. I'll just keep it as is I guess until emulation is added. :sigh:

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Minty Swagger posted:

Yeah I haven't upgraded from 13.2 yet, no feature addition has been compelling enough for me to upgrade and slog through the inevitable issues running it on my weird hardware. I'll just keep it as is I guess until emulation is added. :sigh:

Is there somewhere do download old versions as well as old skins?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
My Zotac AD10 running Xubuntu, Kodi 14.2, and the Catalyst 13.35 drivers. It's choking on some 1080p content, lots of stuttering and audio drop outs. Time for a more powerful box or what?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Not enough information. The content in question: What codec? What bitrate? Have you made sure it's not a network issue? Have you tried different video drivers? What video chipset is in the AD10 (Radeon 6310, I think)? Have you tried a different version of Kodi? Have you adjusted your cache settings at all?

May want to look over http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware#Desktop

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

G-Prime posted:

Not enough information. The content in question: What codec? What bitrate? Have you made sure it's not a network issue? Have you tried different video drivers? What video chipset is in the AD10 (Radeon 6310, I think)? Have you tried a different version of Kodi? Have you adjusted your cache settings at all?

May want to look over http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware#Desktop

Yup video chipset is HD 6310. I've tried copying the file locally and playing it to rule out network issue. Tried updating to the latest video driver and it seems even worse now. Codec on the file I'm trying is h.264 at 4351Kbps.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
My AD10 is still going strong. Using OpenELEC.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Bizarre. That hardware should be ample for what you're playing. h264 can be hardware decoded. It really sounds like it's being software decoded, though, which that hardware definitely wouldn't be able to keep up with. Look at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854 and give that a shot. You'll have to switch to the open source Radeon driver, though.

Fake Edit: Before posting this, I read further. XvBA support was dropped from Kodi a year or two ago, because AMD's support for it was garbage and not updated in their drivers. The open source driver supports vdpau, which should fix your issue if you can follow the steps they provide there.

Real edit: Apparently, in the 2 years since that post, kernel support for the open source Radeon driver has allowed for vdpau straight up natively, without all the fuckery in that first post. I'd do an update of your system to get onto Xubuntu 15.04, and update the kernel to the latest version they offer, swap to the open source driver, and try just enabling vdpau in the video settings.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 7, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

fletcher posted:

Yup video chipset is HD 6310. I've tried copying the file locally and playing it to rule out network issue. Tried updating to the latest video driver and it seems even worse now. Codec on the file I'm trying is h.264 at 4351Kbps.

Did you verify the integrity of the file? I remember having an issue with one of my drives where it lost tiny slivers of the file which wreaked havoc on playback. Thankfully it was torrent poo poo so I could click 'force re-check' and redownload the missing pieces.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

G-Prime posted:

Real edit: Apparently, in the 2 years since that post, kernel support for the open source Radeon driver has allowed for vdpau straight up natively, without all the fuckery in that first post. I'd do an update of your system to get onto Xubuntu 15.04, and update the kernel to the latest version they offer, swap to the open source driver, and try just enabling vdpau in the video settings.

This did it!! The file plays flawlessly now. Thank you so much for your help.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Hey, no problem. There's a lot of possible problems that can come up with a setup like this, and it's hard to digest it all. When I was starting out, I'd have killed to have somebody to talk with about troubleshooting this stuff. Glad to be of service.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

What do you guys change your buffer to? Default is 20 MB which is way too low. It only buffers when my server is also busy with sabnzbd, downloading and other nonsense, but it's annoying. Gonna play around with it, have it at 70 right now, it only buffers for a second or two when it does so it should be enough. 8 GB of system ram, or does it go off the video card ram?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I set it to buffer to disk. Even with my old rear end second hand 5400 RPM drive it does pretty well. But otherwise it buffers into system RAM.

Fake edit: I'm buffering on a client reading from a NAS, if you're talking about local buffering then ignore me.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Tanbo posted:

What do you guys change your buffer to? Default is 20 MB which is way too low. It only buffers when my server is also busy with sabnzbd, downloading and other nonsense, but it's annoying. Gonna play around with it, have it at 70 right now, it only buffers for a second or two when it does so it should be enough. 8 GB of system ram, or does it go off the video card ram?

I think I bumped mine to like 256MB, honestly. On a 100mbit network, it still takes negligible amounts of time to fill, and on gigabit it's even better.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Since upgrading to Xubuntu 15.04 I'm having a weird problem. My receiver goes into standby after 20 minutes like it's not getting a video signal for too long, even though I'm using the PC. After it goes into power standby and I turn it back on, there's no video until I reboot the Xubuntu. Watching a movie in Kodi seems to prevent it from going into this standby mode. Any ideas? Maybe it's more of a linux question than Kodi.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
What's happening, as I recall, is that Kodi doesn't pass inputs through to the OS (somehow) and power save mode is kicking in because the OS thinks it's "idle". If a video's playing, it won't stop because the OS doesn't consider that an "idle" state. Easiest solution is to drop out of Kodi and go into the power management settings and just disable the idle timeout. You MIGHT be able to jog it back out of power save by using a remote app on your phone or PC to force something to start playing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I just rebooted my Win7 HTPC and Kodi seems like it's all on default settings now for some reason. Add-one still installed, libraries still there, but skin and system settings are all default.

The gently caress did I do?! I reboot Kodi all the time, but this is the first time since a power outage several weeks ago that I've rebooted the PC (it's on a UPS but I poo poo it off in case the outage took awhile).

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Could be that the configs got corrupted somehow. If it can't read them, it'll create sane defaults.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

G-Prime posted:

Could be that the configs got corrupted somehow. If it can't read them, it'll create sane defaults.

It's just weird that the library is there, all the add-ons are installed, all the configuration for the add-ons is still there (it remembered my YT login, for example), just none of the config stuff.

I wonder if it's a profile issue...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK, so I have a computer running Windows 7, hooked up to the TV with HDMI. It does nothing but run Kodi, so I set it to run Kodi on startup. I also have it set to reboot automatically for updates so that in theory I just don't have to worry about it and it just exists and is fine. But when it reboots with the TV off, XBMC doesn't have any idea what resolution to be, so it ends up at some weird one and then stretches to fill the screen, leading to everything looking bad. This is in full screen mode. I tried full screen window and that's worse, every time the TV gets turned off the window shrinks to some small size and then doesn't even expand when the TV gets turned back on.

So how can I tell it to just be in 1080p all the time and stop trying to be clever?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

FISHMANPET posted:

OK, so I have a computer running Windows 7, hooked up to the TV with HDMI. It does nothing but run Kodi, so I set it to run Kodi on startup. I also have it set to reboot automatically for updates so that in theory I just don't have to worry about it and it just exists and is fine. But when it reboots with the TV off, XBMC doesn't have any idea what resolution to be, so it ends up at some weird one and then stretches to fill the screen, leading to everything looking bad. This is in full screen mode. I tried full screen window and that's worse, every time the TV gets turned off the window shrinks to some small size and then doesn't even expand when the TV gets turned back on.

So how can I tell it to just be in 1080p all the time and stop trying to be clever?

Thats a windows problem nothing you can do to kodi to fix that.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I was about to update my Acer Aspire Revo to the latest beta of openelec.
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
unfortunately it looks like support for that box has been dropped on openelec 6, due to the geforce being dropped. A have a Revo 3610. any of you goons in the same boat? im not sure if im reading openelecs site correctly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Compiling a video driver is more of a learning experience than it is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cornjob posted:

I was about to update my Acer Aspire Revo to the latest beta of openelec.
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
unfortunately it looks like support for that box has been dropped on openelec 6, due to the geforce being dropped. A have a Revo 3610. any of you goons in the same boat? im not sure if im reading openelecs site correctly.

I just use the nvidia legacy builds for my 9800GT. They seem to work fine.