Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I think this game is seriously starting to annoy me. I used to be quite happy to just play and win lose or draw have some enjoyment from it.

However, I'm now in games where even when I kill three, four or five ships by myself it's not enough to drag the festering pubbie hoards to a win and it's REALLY loving ANNOYING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
High speed turns with a modern CV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4KnCqcTEOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Experiencing these during sea trials when my ship got out of the yards was pretty awesome, hanging out in a spot where I could see outside the ship I was looking at the ocean, then the sky, then the ocean, then the sky, it loving owned.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

:drat:
I wonder what it looked like when one of those 45 knot French destroyers did a full speed turn (if they even could without taking on water).

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

This is what happens when the Murmansk gets absolutely perfect and frankly unfair matchmaking. :flame: Applies to the Kongo there as well.

Note that those are tier IVs on the enemy team, the icons are mirrored in the results screen.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Foxtrot_13 posted:

You must be playing a different game than I am. The only truly best in tier and class tank the British get is the Comet. The British "strength" of DPM is actually a drawback in the current WoT meta. The best is the medium line and even they are not general tanks compared the the Soviets

Churchill 1 - Poor
Churchill 7 - Utter rubbish
Black Prince - Surprisingly OK due to pubbies being crap.
Caernarvon - Rubbish
Conqueror - Good but again DPM issue

Crusader - OK
Sherman 3 - Worse than US version for some reason
Cromwell - Good
Sherman Firefly - OK
Comet - Very good
Cent 1 - OK
Cent 7 - OK

AT2 through to AT7 - Gimmick tanks that are only really good on city maps. OK at best
AT15 - Poor
Tortoise - Good
New TD's - Mostly crap

FV 304 and Conq Gun Carriage good, the rest are rubbish.

Far more poor and bad tanks as a percentage than every other nation beside the Japanese

Actually the Comet,

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

orange juche posted:

Experiencing these during sea trials when my ship got out of the yards was pretty awesome, hanging out in a spot where I could see outside the ship I was looking at the ocean, then the sky, then the ocean, then the sky, it loving owned.

Yeah sea trials before going on deployment and they did the Tokyo Drift: Ocean in Turmoil was a blast.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98yrPKxmig

That's one of the 2 hull types I support now, and I can't wait to get underway with one to see the high speed maneuvers in person, poo poo's gonna be insane. They're loving fast for 600ft of ship.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EunDiDKOLk8 :stare: Goddamn, modern ships are loving sturdy.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 5, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thronde posted:

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EunDiDKOLk8 :stare: Goddamn, modern ships are loving sturdy.

It's so weird, I've been on that ship. I used to play video games in one of the gyro rooms.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's so weird, I've been on that ship. I used to play video games in one of the gyro rooms.

ET or IC spotted!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Christ, I remember doing that on a frigate, I can't imagine what it would feel like on a carrier.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thronde posted:

ET or IC spotted!

Here's a hint, some people in the IT threads think I'm like 90 years old because of how much I know about paper punchtape and Univac minicomputers.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Buncha 4channers in this game and I am okay with this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Took me awhile to 'get' it, but the Aoba's a good boat.

Also a real good time for my 1.5.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thronde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98yrPKxmig

That's one of the 2 hull types I support now, and I can't wait to get underway with one to see the high speed maneuvers in person, poo poo's gonna be insane. They're loving fast for 600ft of ship.

Aren't the LCSes plagued by a ton of problems at the moment?

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

PerrineClostermann posted:

Aren't the LCSes plagued by a ton of problems at the moment?

Aggressive molecular disintegration.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Desiderata posted:

Aggressive molecular disintegration.

Read: their hulls are made of aluminum, and any steel components that touch the hull, especially in the vicinity of the outer hull make it oxidize rapidly in the presence of seawater. Basically they'll be lucky to get 20 years out of a hull.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

orange juche posted:

Read: their hulls are made of aluminum, and any steel components that touch the hull, especially in the vicinity of the outer hull make it oxidize rapidly in the presence of seawater. Basically they'll be lucky to get 20 years out of a hull.

How can you do such a stupid mistake ?

Knowledge management in the era of contract staff is tricky business, but you gotta save that money to pay the execs and shareholders !

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
High Alert or Superintendent for US BBs? I'm thinking the former because one more repair party is only any good if you get to use it, which won't be every game, while getting damage control up faster is always helpful.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kuntz posted:

High Alert or Superintendent for US BBs? I'm thinking the former because one more repair party is only any good if you get to use it, which won't be every game, while getting damage control up faster is always helpful.

High Alert. Unless BBs get another consumable, I wouldn't really take a 4th repair over faster reloading of that all important damage control. Like you said, you might not get the chance to use the 4th charge, due to match length, not enough damage being taken, or dying before you get a chance to pop that 4th repair. On top of that, your 4th repair might not actually be a whole lot, depending on the sort of damage you've taken.

Repair party restores HP over the course of its duration, according to what it says on the tooltip (its a different amount for each ship). But, it can't restore over a certain amount of HP, depending on how much HP you've lost.

You can repair 100% of damage due to flooding or fire, 50% of damage caused by shells and torpedo hits (and ramming, though I've never tested this to be sure), and only 10% of HP lost due to citadel hits. If you're burning for most of your damage taken, the 4th repair party will be great, but if you've taken a citadel hit or two, or just got blasted mostly by torps or enemy shell hits, your last repair might not be repairing much of anything that your previous 3 repairs didn't already get to.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Kuntz posted:

I like Superintendent. It's pretty useful if you tend to survive towards the end of games.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Krogort posted:

Knowledge management in the era of contract staff is tricky business, but you gotta save that money to pay the execs and shareholders !

That way Lockheed can sell more hulls!!! :science:

Also just had a game where some pubbie dd driver tried to ram my Myogi with predictable results.

So many pubbie cv drivers, especially lower tiers just park themselves as far back as possible behind some island and then cry and moan in team chat if they get flanked. One dude just had a full on meltdown which was hilarious.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 5, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PirateBob posted:

I like Superintendent. It's pretty useful if you tend to survive towards the end of games.

It also helps if you want to get Dreadnaught. (take 120 % of max HP damage and survive).

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Krogort posted:

the point isn't to make something that actually works

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I must be doing something wrong with the Kongo. I'm getting worse performance with it then I did the Miyogi. Guns seem to not very good at range and I've lost every game since using it. Is the Kongo not a good ship to use at max firing distance?

Edit: I also seem to lose every One on One I get into with the New York. :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Revolver Bunker posted:

I must be doing something wrong with the Kongo. I'm getting worse performance with it then I did the Miyogi. Guns seem to not very good at range and I've lost every game since using it. Is the Kongo not a good ship to use at max firing distance?

Use the speed. Get close. The guns become accurate closer in.

Almost all BBs are more effective from medium range than long, and the Kongo is fast enough to get there.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
These new split start maps that WG introduced are awful. Why do they keep insisting on splitting up friendly spawns like this?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JacksLibido posted:

These new split start maps that WG introduced are awful. Why do they keep insisting on splitting up friendly spawns like this?

I like split spawns, it makes people move instead of camping.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Xae posted:

I like split spawns, it makes people move instead of camping.

At most I see 1 person camping every dozen games or so, it's never been an issue. The split maps just mean that one team will end up completely steamrolling one side leaving the other group SOL. It's awful.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JacksLibido posted:

At most I see 1 person camping every dozen games or so, it's never been an issue. The split maps just mean that one team will end up completely steamrolling one side leaving the other group SOL. It's awful.

In my experience it doesn't matter because pubbies will do this poo poo on their own regardless of how they spawn.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

In my experience it doesn't matter because pubbies will do this poo poo on their own regardless of how they spawn.

Yeah but at least then I can use the pubbie ball as a distraction, I've been getting poo poo xp on losses where I used to usually end up with ~1300 or so.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

Every Battleship is not a good ship to use at max firing distance. Not to say you won't ever hit something but with the time the projectiles need to fly and rng dispersion you can't just reliably hit something. If you can you should close the distance, especially if you want to go farther down the IJN BB line. The Tier7 Nagato e.g. has really good secondaries and you can get close to other ships and wreck them. Just don't expect to survive many matches or get used to being abandoned by pubbies but it is a lot more satisfying to go in guns blazing and do a lot of damage before dying. Also if you are talking about stock Kongo, wait for the other hull, stock BB are generally awful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically, a BB's max range should be used as a shot of opportunity while you advance.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The New York is very frustrating so far. I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting matched against higher tier ships, but it seems like I'm never not on fire and am constantly getting torps dropped right next to me from at least two directions at once by TBs.

I do what I can to keep turned towards the bombers, but there's only so much I can do.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

Behind on the thread, but yeah. It's hilariously bad off. Currently one of them is seriously hosed. I'm not sure she'll touch sea water the rest of the year.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I've been using the Langley recently. CV play can be a lot of fun but it's also maddening because you get to see pubbie stupidity across the whole map unfolding in real time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Someday, pubby cruisers are going to actually actively look for and kill DDs so I stop having to shotgun the little bastards in my battleship.

Today was not that day.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Minekaze nerfed you say? 7km torpedoes are bad you say?

Eat your heart out pubbies. :chord:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I just got a cleveland, should I ever use AP (against cruisers) or should I always stick with HE since the chance of a fire is so high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

IJN Cruiser line: adv fire training for AA/secondaries or HE fire skill?