Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

parabolic posted:

3, of course. They're less than $10 shipped from Amazon!

As a crap-tank builder who doesn't do figures, can someone link to the Amazon listing of whatever it is you guys are proposing doing? I built the crap-tank on a whim (my primary thing is wooden ships), so maybe I'd do whatever this challenge/thing is when/if you guys do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

The Locator posted:

As a crap-tank builder who doesn't do figures, can someone link to the Amazon listing of whatever it is you guys are proposing doing? I built the crap-tank on a whim (my primary thing is wooden ships), so maybe I'd do whatever this challenge/thing is when/if you guys do it.

It's here and it's awesome for the price.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'd be down for a big group paint thing, but that mech looks..... kinda lame.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Signal posted:

That's kind of the point, I think. Craptank was a cheap kit that people decided to paint to the best of their ability, so I'd say it's well within the spirit of the theme to take a lackluster kit and make it look :krad:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Oh gently caress yeah! I was in the gundam thread at one point, but got turned off when I gave my thoughts on a kit that didn't go together as well as I wanted, and got back some elitist bullshit.

I'd be into doing something silly with a cheap model. Plus those ones go together easy. They're targeted at 8 year olds or something.
edit:
Oh man!
This would be hilarious for a part 3:
http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Winning-Gundam-Model/dp/B00O3RULJG/ref=pd_sim_21_19?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EYXE4C9NRTEMGJ3QW80

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 3, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
That mech looks lame because the magic of paint has not graced it

What OSL might come from your airbrush when it is in front of you, waiting for your finger's radiant spray of color

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I want to see that chibi gundam with realistic weathering :allears:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I wanna see someone paint a van wizard on that round mech.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
After 15 years of not painting things, Imperial Assault convinced me to buy some paint and brushes. Please forgive the lovely camera work and cat-hair ridden blanket that I used as a backdrop. Also I plan on rebasing the royal guard and Han (among other figures that I'm in the process of) as soon as I find something suitable.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ilor posted:

That's the miracle of their slim, efficient, "1-man store" policy in play, my friend.

I had a local model shop that was one guy. His physical location was at a farmer's market, so he'd actually be there only 2-3 days a week, but you could call him up any time and he'd be at your place with anything you want (dude seriously had like 10 thousand kits in his basement), no delivery, plus he'd throw in a pot of paint or a tube of glue if you bought a few kits in one go. His stuff wasn't cheap, but you just can't beat that level of service.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Big McHuge posted:

After 15 years of not painting things, Imperial Assault convinced me to buy some paint and brushes. Please forgive the lovely camera work and cat-hair ridden blanket that I used as a backdrop. Also I plan on rebasing the royal guard and Han (among other figures that I'm in the process of) as soon as I find something suitable.

Hey I'm in the exact same boat! Those look great! Do post the rest. Any plans to pick up the other packs?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

The Mantis posted:

Hey I'm in the exact same boat! Those look great! Do post the rest. Any plans to pick up the other packs?

I've picked up some of the extra packs so far and intend to pick them all up. I recommend the Sorastro painting guides on youtube, they're really good.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't remember who it was because I asked a few months ago, but thanks to whoever suggested I brush on some talc powder to my silicon molds for better results. My resin casts have been coming out with far fewer errors on these 10mm models which is great since I started doing this a few days ago.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Signal posted:

It's from a show where it's the generic enemy in fight simulations. They show up with parts of other Gundam designs customized onto them.

Edit: Grabbed some images.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 3, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

Hey, whatever works for you! I'm a bit lucky in many respects, the house I rent has a converted loft/attic but it has a sloping ceiling so I literally custom-make the booth to fit the angle of the ceiling - which is what spray booths tend to do anyway. Plus it's my man cave so I have a photo booth and loads of gaming books at one end, with my painting stuff and computer at the other end, with RC cars and books in the middle. It's messy as hell but I actually had significant movement of crap so I could have flat areas to try out some plaster casting over the long weekend just past, so I'm inspired to clean up a bit more while waiting for silicone and plaster to dry.

Your reverse nerd basement sounds awesome, dude. I hope to have something like that one day. Living in downtown San Francisco, though, space is really hard to come by.

thespaceinvader posted:

You should clearly base them still glued to the painting stands and make stiltmarines.

Because I volunteer at a children's shelter, I regularly use them as marionettes. Grim dark marionettes. With skulls. Of bad children.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Hey painting thread, I want to show a picture of things I've painted! Here they are, standing in my kitchen, taken with my cellphone!

It's the player character party for an Iron Kingdoms RPG campaign I've been running! Those familiar with the IKRPG might be able to guess that the one in the middle is supposed to be Colbie Sterling, and the one on the left Eilish Garrity, from the IKRPG free intro adventure. The other three are original characters. I guess the two in the back are harder to see in this picture than the three in the front, but oh well.

I used some various figures to make these. Mostly from Iron Kingdoms-based things, like Warmachine and the recent Iron Kingdoms boardgame that came out, but the one in the middle is from Reaper Miniatures. Didn't do terribly much custom-building of the figures, though, aside from replacing one gun with a sword on the lady on the right. I've spoken to the friend who plays the goblin and he might want to add more equipment onto the goblin to more closely match his character's actual gear, but it's fine for now.

I'm not that great at this painting thing, though. It still feels a little weird to me to have a hobby that isn't simply playing videogames. I haven't painted all that much yet, but never get better at something without practice! I'm a little worried about the dwarf figure in the back, though. It's a plastic figure from the boardgame, so I'm not sure how well the paint will stay on the thing. It SEEMS okay so far, but it might come off easier than the other figures (which are all metal). I guess I should try putting a sealant on it or something? I'm not sure how that works.

And yes I have not bothered to finish any of their bases. Maybe I should at least make the dwarf's base black, to more closely match the other ones. Also, goddamn faces are hard.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So I picked up some new bones figures, a bunch of these guys:

The plan is to make a brotherhood of steel army. I'd love to put the brotherhood of steel logo somewhere (like the shoulder) so they are actually identifiable as BoS, like the shoulder, but the shoulder is pretty small./ am I basically screwed? any advice?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe get some custom transfers made?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So this might be real dumb question but with priming you're supposed to spray away from the miniature then move the stream over into it. Do you still do this with zenithal priming? Since the grey and white only hit the top portions of the miniature I'm a bit confused if I should be trying to move the stream over or just start spraying directly on the miniature itself

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Work in progress Lord of Skulls. I'm really happy with how the skulls are turning out. Normally my skulls look terrible. I'm still mastering edge highlighting.

Need to finish it off within the next 15 days in times for an Apoc match.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Maybe get some custom transfers made?

Yeah, but the problem is the size. it's about 4mm wide. If I scale down an image of the logo I get a mess.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Foolster41 posted:

actually identifiable as BoS, like the shoulder, but the shoulder is pretty small./ am I basically screwed? any advice?

Only thing I can imagine would work is custom cut brass. Just a gear with a sword through it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So this might be real dumb question but with priming you're supposed to spray away from the miniature then move the stream over into it. Do you still do this with zenithal priming? Since the grey and white only hit the top portions of the miniature I'm a bit confused if I should be trying to move the stream over or just start spraying directly on the miniature itself

That's to avoid those big spray paint blotches. If you're using a rattle can just aim above the model and then quickly flick it down over your target. Don't be scared to stop the flow after you 'flick' it down

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I dropped a pair of super tiny rare earth magnets on the floor. I ran a roomba over the room, but it didn't pick up anything. I'm out of ideas on how to find them. I'm less worried about the cost of replacing the magnets and more about hypothetical future pets finding them, swallowing them, and getting injured. :(

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

demota posted:

I dropped a pair of super tiny rare earth magnets on the floor. I ran a roomba over the room, but it didn't pick up anything. I'm out of ideas on how to find them. I'm less worried about the cost of replacing the magnets and more about hypothetical future pets finding them, swallowing them, and getting injured. :(

Take the container with the rest of your magnets and do a thorough sweep of the floor.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Yesterday at the game shop I picked up a few new figures., and today did more painting done, (while watching some people play D&D appropriately enough).

An Iconic Barbarian. Eyes obviously missing. I tried to be somewhat simple on details because I don't have many colors yet.

As I mentioned before, I got some guys for the fallout minitures game. A minigun paladin and some SMG paladin. I think the minigun guy turned out well, but I had trouble picking good details for the soldiers and keeping the lines neat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Still waiting on some paints to come in and I need to just bite the bullet and get some w&n series 7 brushes, but I think they're not turning out too bad for not painting in about 4 years.

I do think the bases need a yellow wash because heartfire is a little too orange. I do have to say that I am extremely pleased with my first experience with p3 paints though, they go on like butter. If I was still using GW paints I would still be on base coats :3:

Anyway, thoughts on the bases? I'm attempting to emulate the wind ripples that Sandy deserts have, they'll probably look a lot better on larger bases.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyway, thoughts on the bases? I'm attempting to emulate the wind ripples that Sandy deserts have, they'll probably look a lot better on larger bases.

I think if you're going for that, you'll want to use something much finer, since you appear to be using actual sand for your base, which would be a scale representation of something more like railroad ballast or large gravel than of sand.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Got some minis I haven't posted finished pictures of, so I thought I'd toss 'em in. Taken with my phone in my office, so not the greatest quality, sadly. One of these days I'll need to get a new camera and re-set my lightbox.

First off, we have the Demogorgon I posted WIP pictures of a while back.

Had a lot of fun with this guy. More things should have baboon faces.

Next, we have Reaper's Hell Knight, Order of the Nail, from their Pathfinder Bones line.

This was mostly as a practice piece for the next figure. They were both for a local store's contest with a theme of "rust." They had a Warhammer and Reaper category, and I figured why not pick up the bones guy for a few bucks more. Surprisingly, he won in his category. Of course, the other entry was just painted up bronze and given a nalakh oxide wash.

Finally, here's the other contest figure, a Chaos Lord for Fantasy.

He came out quite a bit better than the Hell Knight, largely because I took what I learned from the Hell Knight and applied it here. He was still pretty low-effort. I was playing around with the Vallejo Special Effects kit. The entries that actually won in the Warhammer category absolutely blew this guy out of the water, so I can't be too upset.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does anyone else break their exacto knives constantly? Mine never seem to last long before the ring just stops tightening.

Is there any way to fix this? It just keeps loving happening. I'm starting to think they're making them poorly on purpose.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Are you using an Xacto brand holder? The blades are hard to find in bulk in the UK so now I use scalpel blades in a retractable holder, no loosening whatsoever.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I am. They used to be a really great knife, now i'm not so sure anymore.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've converted to scalpels exclusively, they snap into position and don't twist or loosen.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Throw out all of your scalpels and xacto blades and buy one of these instead: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Instant-Change-Knife-10-788/100152150

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I have two of those. But there is no way in hell I am putting together these miniatures with that knife.

(I put that guy together first because he is the largest.)

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 5, 2015

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think if you're going for that, you'll want to use something much finer, since you appear to be using actual sand for your base, which would be a scale representation of something more like railroad ballast or large gravel than of sand.

It was the finest railroad ballast I could find. My current theory is to give it additional glazes of watered down wood glue in an attempt to mute the texture.

Edit:
I think the biggest problem is that on an individual troop scale there's just not enough space to get the full effect. It looks better on these 'jacks that I carved the bases on this morning.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 5, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Depending on when we do it, I'd be down for Mock goodness. If it helps inspire any of you, it's named "Mock" because in show it was basically a bootleg plastic model. Made by an alien.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Iron Crowned posted:

It was the finest railroad ballast I could find. My current theory is to give it additional glazes of watered down wood glue in an attempt to mute the texture.

I'd recommend something like Vallejo Sandy Paste, seen here with a comparison with the other Vallejo products: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Vallejo_Pumice_Comparison

Railroad ballast of any scale probably won't work since it's designed to represent pretty large gravel (a couple inches across) in real life.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'd recommend something like Vallejo Sandy Paste, seen here with a comparison with the other Vallejo products: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Vallejo_Pumice_Comparison

Railroad ballast of any scale probably won't work since it's designed to represent pretty large gravel (a couple inches across) in real life.

That does look pretty good, its definitely going on the lost of things I still need, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

For real though if you guys want to do a Gundam kit you should do one of the dirt cheap early kits, carry on the crappiness of the crap tank.
This link'll show a lot of them.